Quitting tobacco

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Goldie75

Mar 20, 2022
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Goldie75 I reckon a key word there is steady, right?
Thank you for talking to me by the way! I appreciate it more than you know. I get stuck in my head…and being asked questions directly helps get me out of it. I’ve been meaning to tell you this.

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Nerves crisis and upsets feel my dwelling places atm…
@Goldie75 So do you then think that you inhales are in some sense a response to them, driven by them?

Because keeping inhales at a steady level, with a view to cutting down on levels of nicotine use does I guess take some self-discipline.

But spiritually speaking, being filled with the peace of John 14.27 is far more steadying, of course.

Goldie75

Mar 20, 2022
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Goldie75 So do you then think that you inhales are in some sense a response to them, driven by them?

Because keeping inhales at a steady level, with a view to cutting down on levels of nicotine use does I guess take some self-discipline.

But spiritually speaking, being filled with the peace of John 14.27 is far more steadying, of course.
It’s my fault I got addicted to nicotine - I knew better.
But having got into that situation, I think illness has made it harder to quit. Not helped by it taking a very long time to get correctly diagnosed, then onto the right balance of medications, and the general lack of understanding surrounding mental illness.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It’s my fault I got addicted to nicotine - I knew better.
But having got into that situation, I think illness has made it harder to quit. Not helped by it taking a very long time to get correctly diagnosed, then onto the right balance of medications, and the general lack of understanding surrounding mental illness.
@Goldie75 Oh of course, yes; keeping a balance of meds. is important. Hard to regulate inhales at the same time, right?

Goldie75

Mar 20, 2022
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Goldie75 Oh of course, yes; keeping a balance of meds. is important. Hard to regulate inhales at the same time, right?
I don’t concern myself with regulating inhales - thank you for using this acceptable word!!
When the time is right I will think about it…plan and reduce etc…
It is in God’s hands. There’s other things the Holy Spirit is actively, currently dealing with me over - where by his grace I am taking ground.
At least smoking this way my asthma isn’t causing me problems.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don’t concern myself with regulating inhales - thank you for using this acceptable word!!
When the time is right I will think about it…plan and reduce etc…
It is in God’s hands. There’s other things the Holy Spirit is actively, currently dealing with me over - where by his grace I am taking ground.
At least smoking this way my asthma isn’t causing me problems.
@Goldie75 Well, I guess you are living evidence that e-cigs are indeed better for asthma sufferers, right? (Maybe there is a support group someplace for asthmatic smokers?)

Goldie75

Mar 20, 2022
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Goldie75 Well, I guess you are living evidence that e-cigs are indeed better for asthma sufferers, right? (Maybe there is a support group someplace for asthmatic smokers?)
It’s certainly better for my health personally.

I don’t like that I have this addiction still showing in my life…I’m certainly not proud of it.

But. I’ve found many Christian’s to particularly point the finger at a sin such as this….as if it’s a worse sin than others.

I can tell you, I have far uglier unseen sins in my heart than smoking an e-cigarette. And the closer I get to Jesus…the more I can see them and the uglier they are. I’d rather have all pride and all hate fully removed from my heart than this nicotine addiction.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It’s certainly better for my health personally.

I don’t like that I have this addiction still showing in my life…I’m certainly not proud of it.

But. I’ve found many Christian’s to particularly point the finger at a sin such as this….as if it’s a worse sin than others.

I can tell you, I have far uglier unseen sins in my heart than smoking an e-cigarette. And the closer I get to Jesus…the more I can see them and the uglier they are. I’d rather have all pride and all hate fully removed from my heart than this nicotine addiction.
@Goldie75 Well, as well as smoking heavily - as opposed to occasionally or social smoking, I suppose - addictions come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Paul said: "Let your moderation be known unto all men" (Philippians 4.5). This in the Epistle of Joy......

Over-eating can also be a sort of addiction, I suppose. I don't buy that getting tattooed is necessarily an addiction.

Goldie75

Mar 20, 2022
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Goldie75 Well, as well as smoking heavily - as opposed to occasionally or social smoking, I suppose - addictions come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Paul said: "Let your moderation be known unto all men" (Philippians 4.5). This in the Epistle of Joy......

Over-eating can also be a sort of addiction, I suppose. I don't buy that getting tattooed is necessarily an addiction.

I think anything can be an addiction. Tattoos - as in continually getting/needing more of them can be an addiction.

It’s where our flesh has control.

I’m not an alcoholic - I have 3/4 glasses of wine a year and couldn’t care less if I never touched a drop again - it has no power over me - but nicotine does.

But I’m saved by grace through faith and I’m being sanctified which is a life long process by grace through faith. I’ve learnt the hard way not to do things in my own strength….am still learning this…

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think anything can be an addiction. Tattoos - as in continually getting/needing more of them can be an addiction.

It’s where our flesh has control.

I’m not an alcoholic - I have 3/4 glasses of wine a year and couldn’t care less if I never touched a drop again - it has no power over me - but nicotine does.

But I’m saved by grace through faith and I’m being sanctified which is a life long process by grace through faith. I’ve learnt the hard way not to do things in my own strength….am still learning this…
@Goldie75 You living in the UK might not be as familiar with the legacy of Prohibition in North America.....some ppl even think one glass of wine at meals is supposedly addiction.....

I take your point about different levels of smoking.

Tattoos...well.....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
They’re all mid twenties now and none of them smoke. One dabbled for a while but we worked through it.
I don’t want them to be addicted to anything…but if they were going to smoke regardless…then yes, I’d prefer they used an ecig with sound quality nicotine.
@Goldie75 Some legalists would even try to give you a hard time if you let any of your daughters smoke an ecig with you if they asked...but if so it would be their decision, right?