"Salvation" is the gift of Eternal Life - it's FOREVER.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
simply rejection of what John stated. And I believe that Matthew 28:19 is a commandment for the disciples at the time which they went out and did what Jesus said.

was John speaking truth or not? John the Baptist was a liar if he said Jesus Christ comes baptizing in the Holy Spirit and fire?
Wow MatthewG......I have never heard that theory before.

Sooooooo your men have taught you that the command to baptize all nations was only for the 11 that were there that day and heard His words? After the last Apostle died, presumably John around 100AD, it was not necessary to water baptize anyone?

Baptism is in the Holy Spirit.....just like Scripture says: Acts 2:38

Curious Mary

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow MatthewG......I have never heard that theory before.

Sooooooo your men have taught you that the command to baptize all nations was only for the 11 that were there that day and heard His words? After the last Apostle died, presumably John around 100AD, it was not necessary to water baptize anyone?

Baptism is in the Holy Spirit.....just like Scripture says: Acts 2:38

Curious Mary

Who else was Jesus talking to?

“Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:16-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Matthew 28:16-20 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. And Jesus came and spake unto them, sayi | King James Version (KJV) | Download The Bible App Now

It’s not a theory it’s a fact. Yet people today bring it upon themselves as though they are the eleven disciples.

you can water baptize if you want but if there isn’t a change of heart with God working on them by the spirit what the hell is the point?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Charlie. Thank you for your opinion. I will continue to repeat Scripture.

Scripture says Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away! Since we KNOW for a FACT that water was used by NT Christians when baptizing then we KNOW that water baptism washes away your sin.....Just like Scripture says.

We KNOW for a FACT that NT Christians were commanded in Matthew 28:19 to baptize all. Sooooooo getting baptized is NOT a symbol or an option.....it is a COMMAND!! A COMMAND by Him is not symbolic. We must do what He tells us to do because if we don't.....well, you know what happens to those that don't do what He tells them to do!!

What you and what the men who taught you fail to understand is that BOTH can be true: The blood of Christ can wash away sins and batpismal water can wash away sins. Scripture says both are true...but you reject one of them. Why?

I followed the commandment of Christ to be watered baptized immediately after I accepted Him as Saviour.

But not for the apparent reason as you. The very moment I said yes to Christ, my sins were forgiven, I was regenerated by the Spirit and became that instant a Child of God. What happened to me was not visible to anyone. This is why we are told by Christ to make a public confession of what took place in the heart at salvation.

The public confession takes place in the form of John's baptism, water baptism, the confession of repentance before God. You are calling on God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, confessing what they have done for you when you believed.

Water baptism had nothing to do with my salvation, it was my confession acted out for everyone to see how the Godhead saved my soul through simple faith in the Christ.

I went down in the water, I died and was buried with Christ.

I came up out of the water, a new creature in Christ.

The old man is dead, the new man lives in Christ.

That is my testimony before man.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I followed the commandment of Christ to be watered baptized immediately after I accepted Him as Saviour.

But not for the apparent reason as you. The very moment I said yes to Christ, my sins were forgiven, I was regenerated by the Spirit and became that instant a Child of God. What happened to me was not visible to anyone. This is why we are told by Christ to make a public confession of what took place in the heart at salvation.

The public confession takes place in the form of John's baptism, water baptism, the confession of repentance before God. You are calling on God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, confessing what they have done for you when you believed.

Water baptism had nothing to do with my salvation, it was my confession acted out for everyone to see how the Godhead saved my soul through simple faith in the Christ.

I went down in the water, I died and was buried with Christ.

I came up out of the water, a new creature in Christ.

The old man is dead, the new man lives in Christ.

That is my testimony before man.
Hey Charlie. I missed that part in Scripture where it says that water baptism is a "public confession". Can you share that passage with me? Thank you.

If what you were taught was true, then that means a person can NEVER be baptized with just two people present: the baptizer and the person being baptized?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scotty,

Once again, thank you for your opinion. I will gladly repeat Scripture time and time again to back up what I say and continue to teach you (2 Timothy 3:16). I will never get tired of repeating it since it continues to prove your opinion wrong. I will hold fast to Titus 1:9!

You reject 1 Peter 3:21 (baptism now saves you). You reject Matthew 28:19 (the command to baptize all). You reject Acts 22:16 (baptism washes away sin). You reject Acts 2:38 (baptism for remission of sins and gift of Holy Spirit). For you see Scotty boy we must do what he tells us to do so we can be saved. Since you reject and do not believe all those passages, you reject Him.

You reject
the historical teachings/writings from the first 120 years of The Church (Didache, Hermas, Justin Martyr) about the necessity of water baptism AND how it saves us.

You accept
the teachings/writings of the men POST Reformation. You are in a quagmire.

I never get tired of proving you wrong. Do you ever get tired of me proving you wrong Scotty?
History repeats itself. "Your house is left to you desolate."

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who else was Jesus talking to?

“Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:16-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Matthew 28:16-20 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. And Jesus came and spake unto them, sayi | King James Version (KJV) | Download The Bible App Now

It’s not a theory it’s a fact. Yet people today bring it upon themselves as though they are the eleven disciples.

you can water baptize if you want but if there isn’t a change of heart with God working on them by the spirit what the hell is the point?
Hey Matthew,

There is no doubt that Jesus was talking to the 11 when he gave that commandment. I agree with you on that. But Paul wasn't one of the 11 that He gave that commandment to, and Paul said he baptized some. Phillip in Acts 8 baptized the Eunuch, and he wasn't one of the eleven. We have historical Christian writings from AFTER all the Apostles died and those writings say they were baptizing with water. Sooooo what gives? Based on what Scripture says and our Christian history says your theory doesn't make much sense to me!!

And to be clear...there has to be a change of heart BEFORE the water baptism....That IS the point!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
History repeats itself. "Your house is left to you desolate."
You crack me up Scott. I completely destroyed your opinion using Scripture against you and the only response you can come up with is a vs from Scripture that has NOTHING to do with what we are talking about? Your response shows how void and vapid your theory is.

But I guess if I knew who taught you I wouldn't be questioning you now would I Scotty? :goodj:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it I see so much ridicule and speaking down to others?

Much love!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Charlie. I missed that part in Scripture where it says that water baptism is a "public confession". Can you share that passage with me? Thank you.

If what you were taught was true, then that means a person can NEVER be baptized with just two people present: the baptizer and the person being baptized?

It doesn't matter how many are present, if only the person who baptized you is present, that is your testimony before man.

Which brings me to the works of water baptism. If you make water baptism a requirement for salvation as the Catholic do, you have made the works of man a requirement for salvation. You can't be water baptized without someone performing that ritual.

The Catholics are depending on the work of a priest to finalize there salvation, that is heresy! Salvation was complete the very instant you accepted Christ. You were forgiven, regenerated and became a new man that vey instant, from the state of total depravity to the state of God consciousness.

The translators made a huge mistake in Acts 2:38!

It should read, "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ because of the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Man receives the forgiveness of sins, and the indwelling Holy Spirit after he believes not in a pool of water.

Phil. 1:13

"In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,"

Reactions: marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Matthew,

There is no doubt that Jesus was talking to the 11 when he gave that commandment. I agree with you on that. But Paul wasn't one of the 11 that He gave that commandment to, and Paul said he baptized some. Phillip in Acts 8 baptized the Eunuch, and he wasn't one of the eleven. We have historical Christian writings from AFTER all the Apostles died and those writings say they were baptizing with water. Sooooo what gives? Based on what Scripture says and our Christian history says your theory doesn't make much sense to me!!

And to be clear...there has to be a change of heart BEFORE the water baptism....That IS the point!

ok.

Reactions: ScottA

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water Baptism was practiced by the Jews, but God, through Paul's teaching, did not continue that practice into the church. God, through Paul, declared there was a single baptism, and defined that baptism as being into Christ, into His death and burial, and not into water.

Much love!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water Baptism was practiced by the Jews, but God, through Paul's teaching, did not continue that practice into the church. God, through Paul, declared there was a single baptism, and defined that baptism as being into Christ, into His death and burial, and not into water.

Much love!
Lol....The Church did not continue the practice of baptism? Except when they baptized in the Jordan and Phillip baptized the Eunuch and the earliest Christian historical writings written BEFORE some of the NT letters and AFTER NT writings when they batpized.....other than that...they didn't continue water baptism. Who taught you that Marks? They failed you....

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't matter how many are present, if only the person who baptized you is present, that is your testimony before man.

Which brings me to the works of water baptism. If you make water baptism a requirement for salvation as the Catholic do, you have made the works of man a requirement for salvation. You can't be water baptized without someone performing that ritual.
Yup, you are right. It doesn't matter how many are present when we do what we are told to do: baptize

Scripture makes water baptism a requirement for salvation: 1 Peter 3:21

We are required to do what He told us to do: Baptize all

If we reject the teachings of the Apostles we reject Him: Luke 10:16. The Apostles taught water baptism is necessary.

Mic drop....

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Many (apparently) didn't get the memo. :(

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Translation: I have no defense for what I believe.

What are you talking about?

Why do I need a defense?

I already shared with you and many here earlier too. It’s okay do whatever it is that helps you get by. If you are baptizing people in the name of the father, son and Holy Ghost great!

It doesn’t make you or anyone else better than a person who never had water baptism done. It’s just a religious rule people hold on to, which Christ really already fulfilled.

Reactions: ScottA and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol....The Church did not continue the practice of baptism? Except when they baptized in the Jordan and Phillip baptized the Eunuch and the earliest Christian historical writings written BEFORE some of the NT letters and AFTER NT writings when they batpized.....other than that...they didn't continue water baptism. Who taught you that Marks? They failed you....

Don't make this about me . . . look to the Scripture.

The Jews practiced water baptism, but Paul did not continue water baptism into the church. He specifically stated that. Just as he also specifically stated that there is "one baptism", and that we who are baptized are baptized into Christ, into His death and burial.

Many water baptized, and still do. Tradition and extra-curricular teaching do not replace or change Scripture. Paul had even himself continued briefly to water baptize, but then stopped, lest he confuse the matter for others, that they might think that Paul himself had something to do with their salvation, or some other error.

1 Corinthians 1:13-19 KJV
13) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
14) I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15) Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
16) And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
17) For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
18) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19) For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

Ephesians 4:4-6 KJV
4) There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6) One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Romans 6:3-4 KJV
3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Much love!

Reactions: ScottA

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup, you are right. It doesn't matter how many are present when we do what we are told to do: baptize

21 which also after a true likeness doth now save you, [even] baptism, not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the interrogation of a good conscience toward God, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ;

But he says, actually, this isn't about a fleshy washing, but the "inquiry of a good conscience toward God", doesn't that sound like Justification? Through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, which sounds to me like what Paul wrote, we are baptized into Jesus, into His death and burial, buried with Him through baptism, that as He resurrected, so we too live new lives.

Much love!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If we reject the teachings of the Apostles we reject Him: Luke 10:16. The Apostles taught water baptism is necessary.

Mic drop....

You have been deceived, Marymog!

1 Peter 3:21

"The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:"

The "like figure" is Peter presenting the water baptism as a "figure, a symbol" of the baptism into Christ that Paul spoke of so often, and I have been explaining to you!

"Not putting away of the filth of the flesh" is Peter telling us that water baptism cannot cleanse the soul, it is a symbol of the spiritual baptism that cleanses the soul.

"But the answer of a good conscience toward God" this refers to one engaging in water baptism because one has already been made clean by faith in Christ, which in return gives one a good conscience toward God.

"By the resurrection of Christ" refers that through the spiritual baptism of the believer, one is raised with Christ in a "newness of life.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have been deceived, Marymog!

1 Peter 3:21

"The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:"

The "like figure" is Peter presenting the water baptism as a "figure, a symbol" of the baptism into Christ that Paul spoke of so often, and I have been explaining to you!

"Not putting away of the filth of the flesh" is Peter telling us that water baptism cannot cleanse the soul, it is a symbol of the spiritual baptism that cleanses the soul.

"But the answer of a good conscience toward God" this refers to one engaging in water baptism because one has already been made clean by faith in Christ, which in return gives one a good conscience toward God.

"By the resurrection of Christ" refers that through the spiritual baptism of the believer, one is raised with Christ in a "newness of life.
You have drank the koolaide that your protestant men gave you. Read the entire passage and put it in context with ALL of Scripture Charlie:

Why does Scripture say that 8 were saved by water when it seems very clear that the wood boat saved them? Because it was the intent of God to teach man the necessity of water baptism! The flood, which was Gods wrath/judgement, destroyed sin and took it away from the world. That flood water washed away sin. That same flood water lifted up and put 8 above and saved them from that sin/evil. Here is the cool part Behold that your men failed to teach you! Noah sent out a dove and it eventually returned with an olive leaf. What does a dove represent in Scripture Behold? What does an olive leaf represent in Noah's story Behold? The dove represents the Holy Spirit. The olive leaf represented a new life. So we have water that saved 8 AND washed away sin AND a dove (Holy Spirit) and an olive leaf (new life) all in the same story. Golly gee......... Hmmmm.......What is going on here :watching and waiting:. Kind of sounds like Acts 2:38 and 22:16 might be connected to the whole Noah thing Behold. And putting all that in context with 1 Peter 3:21 it all makes sense now. Water does save us, just like it saved the 8, AND it washes away sin and gives us a new life.....you know, just like Scripture says it does.:Amen: