• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said that we can stop believing by our own DOING.

It hasn't happened to me so I can't speak from experience.
However, I've known people who were pretty devout - but suffered a tragedy and stopped believing in God. I personally knew one woman who was dying and cursing and blaming God for her suffering. I knew her when she was devout.

Chapter and verse that show we quit believing by a work.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good we agree that the story of the prodigal son is one of salvation. Not a loss of salvation. We are making progress.

Stranger
It's a story about spiritual death and eventual redemption.

You missed half of the point.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No "Greek gymnastics" here - just linguistic facts.
You're just embarrassed because the Greek proves you wrong and you have no where to go from here.

No, I'm not embarrassed. I'v seen your work with the greek before.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chapter and verse that show we quit believing by a work.

Stranger
I'm still waiting for an answer to my post #148, where I asked YOU:
You cannot disbelieve by your own doing??
Chapter and verse, please.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can only say that you are at odds with the 30 commentaries I have as well as many others available online. Can you show me one, just one, that supports what you say.
Show you a "commentary"? No.
You say, "the parable is not about one faithful servant" yet v.42 speaks of "the faithful and wise manager". "the" is the definite article pointing to just one person and "manager" is singular.
V.43 says "that servant". "that" is the definite article meaning it refers to just one person.
V.45 also uses the definite article in referring to the one and only servant.
There can be no question that Jesus was talking about one faithful and wise servant.
"One" servant was not my point. Obviously you are missing things. ... My point was that the parable is not about one [faithful] servant.
Regarding whether or not the servant was saved, Jesus spoke of a future time - after He had ascended. Don't you think that Peter, along with the others, was saved at that time? In my mind, there is not question that he was. In John 20:22 we are told the disciples received the Spirit: "And with that he breathed on them and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit'".
No, I do not, because He speaks of them not yet having received "their portion...in due season." Their portion, as it is with all who are "saved", is their share in the spirit of God for eternity:

"42 And the Lord said, “Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his master will make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of food in due season? 43 Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes."

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a story about spiritual death and eventual redemption.

You missed half of the point.

I have no problem with the story being one of salvation. I agree. It is a story of salvation. Not a story of a loss of salvation. So, what is the problem?

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem with the story being one of salvation. I agree. It is a story of salvation. Not a story of a loss of salvation. So, what is the problem?

Stranger
WRONG.
It IS a story about loss of salvation and the re-acquisition of that salvation.-

1. The man is a SON of the father (i.e, a Christian, saved).
2. The Son forsakes the Father and walks away (loss of salvation).
3. The Son repents and comes back to the Father (redemption).

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm still waiting for an answer to my post #148, where I asked YOU:
You cannot disbelieve by your own doing??
Chapter and verse, please.

(Eph. 2:8-9)

Now, chapter and verse that show we quit believing to the loss of salvation by a work.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.
It IS a story about loss of salvation and the re-acquisition of that salvation.-

1. The man is a SON of the father (i.e, a Christian, saved).
2. The Son forsakes the Father and walks away (loss of salvation).
3. The Son repents and comes back to the Father (redemption).

But the son never quits being a son, and the father is always the father. It is a picture of salvation not a loss of salvation. What a perverted interpretation you have given.

Stranger

Jun 26, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I didn't say Jesus would appoint people who refused to accept Him as Lord to run the millennial kingdom. Those who are appointed with the unbelievers in the parable are believers.

So, Jesus is going to appoint both unbelievers and believers to run the Millennium? Are you sure about that?

Again, Rev. 20:4 tells us that the saints will run the Millennium alongside Jesus. Can you point me to the verse which says that unbelievers are appointed also bearing in mind that unbelievers are never referred to as faithful?

There will be unbelievers born during the millennium.

The parable has got absolutely nothing at all to do with what happens during the Millennium. It is about the faithfulness of Jesus' servants when He is absent from the earth.

You are turning a very simply parable into a quagmire.

God bless,
Mick

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Eph. 2:8-9)

Now, chapter and verse that show we quit believing by a work.

Stranger
Eph. 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

NO mention of NOT being able to reject God's grace.
Try again . . .

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, Jesus is going to appoint both unbelievers and believers to run the Millennium? Are you sure about that?

Again, Rev. 20:4 tells us that the saints will run the Millennium alongside Jesus. Can you point me to the verse which says that unbelievers are appointed also bearing in mind that unbelievers are never referred to as faithful?

The parable has got absolutely nothing at all to do with what happens during the Millennium. It is about the faithfulness of Jesus' servants when He is absent from the earth.

You are turning a very simply parable into a quagmire.

God bless,
Mick

Read again what I said.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But the son never quits being a son, and the father is always the father. It is a picture of salvation not a loss of salvation. What a perverted interpretation you have given.

Stranger
Not at all.
The son clearly rejects his Father and demands his reward up front.
It's not until he repents that his reward is restored.

Jun 26, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
These are those who have denied the Lord, (2 Peter 2:1), and yes they have 'forsaken the right way' as the KJV says. They are not believers. They are false prophets and teachers.

Stranger

You make the common mistake of thinking someone can leave a place they have never been to. To forsake means to depart from or renounce or give up on.

If English words mean anything then to forsake the right way means to depart from it and you can only depart from a place you are at.

God bless,
Mick

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, chapter and verse that show we quit believing to the loss of salvation by a work.

Stranger
Luke 22:3-4
Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve. And Judas went to the chief priests and the officers of the temple guard and discussed with them how he might betray Jesus.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You make the common mistake of thinking someone can leave a place they have never been to. To forsake means to depart from or renounce or give up on.

If English words mean anything then to forsake the right way means to depart from it and you can only depart from a place you are at.

God bless,
Mick
Yes, and that is clearly what the Greek say as well.

Jun 26, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Show you a "commentary"? No.
"One" servant was not my point. Obviously you are missing things. ... My point was that the parable is not about one [faithful] servant.
No, I do not, because He speaks of them not yet having received "their portion...in due season." Their portion, as it is with all who are "saved", is their share in the spirit of God for eternity:

"42 And the Lord said, “Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his master will make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of food in due season? 43 Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes."

I'm afraid that you have lost me entirely.

God bless,
Mick

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Amen, it is to do with faithfulness. If the servant remains faithful he will be rewarded, if not he will be condemned. That is the plain reading of the parable.

In vs. 43-44 the servant is rewarded for being faithful.
In vs. 45-46 the servant is condemned for unfaithfulness.

God bless,
Mick