Satan permitted by God to test mankind in the Garden of Eden / NHNE?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So you would have the following...KJV 2 Peter 3:12
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
Destroying the new earth?
2 Peter 3 is not talking about the burning up of the elements of the earth, but the rudiments of this world and the works of men.

Revelation 21
2 And I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of Heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her Husband.
10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain and showed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of Heaven from God.

@
Brakelite I'm going to repeat a post I made earlier:

.. and the elements [stoicheîon] shall be dissolved with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

The Greek word stoicheîon is found in these verses:- Galatians 4:3; Galatians 4:9; Colossians 2:8' Colossians 2:20; and Hebrews 5:12, and refers to the rudiments of men, the rudiments of this world.

.. the earth also and the works [érgon] that are therein shall be burned up.

In every one of the multitude of verses where it is found, the word érgon is referring to the works/deeds of God, or the works/deeds of Christ, or the works/deeds of men, or the works of the devil (most often it's talking about to the works of men), for example 1 Peter 1:17; 1 Peter 2:12; 2 Peter 2:8:-

There is a really long, long list of verses where the word is found. I'll see if I can list some of them here without exceeding my character limit for this post:-

Matthew 5:16 Matthew 11:2 Matthew 23:3 Matthew 23:5 Matthew 26:10 Mark 13:34 Mark 14:6 Luke 11:48 Luke 24:19 John 3:19 John 3:20 John 3:21 John 4:34 John 5:20 John 5:36 John 6:28 John 6:29 John 7:3 John 7:7 John 7:21 John 8:39 John 8:41 John 9:3 John 9:4 John 10:25 John 10:32 John 10:33 John 10:37 John 10:38 John 14:10 John 14:11 John 14:12 John 15:24 John 17:4 Titus 2:14 Revelation 2:2 Revelation 2:5 Revelation 2:6 Revelation 2:9 Revelation 2:13 Revelation 20:13 Acts 5:38 Acts 7:22 Acts 7:41 Acts 9:36 Acts 13:2 Acts 13:41 Acts 14:26 Acts 15:18 Acts 15:38 ..

... it goes on and on (I can paste them all for you - each one - but the list is too long and the word always (without exception) refers to the works of men, sometimes the works of God / Christ, and sometimes the works of the devil (the earth does not have works, rocks do not have works).

Last edited:

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The new heavens and new earth is a permanent earthly sabbath - just like the very first sabbath in the Garden of Eden, before the fall of Adam. The new Jerusalem comes down to earth from heaven. There isn't actually any scripture teaching that the new heavens and new earth has to wait for another thousand years after Christ has returned.

Except for Rev 20-21 where John sees the NHNE come after the GWTJ and the LOF judgment is over. This proves the NHNE comes long after the second coming.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Except for Rev 20-21 where John sees the NHNE come after the GWTJ and the LOF judgment is over. This proves the NHNE comes long after the second coming.
It's a parallel text.

He who overcomes will inherit all things, and I will be his God, and he will be My son. But the fearful, and the unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, will have their part in the Lake burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.
If anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a parallel text.

Nope. Rev 21 is the first time the new heavens come to be and it's a long time after the second coming. The NHNE doe not exist when sinners and satan still exist. All sinners etc must be cast into the LOF before the NHNE comes.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So you would have the following...KJV 2 Peter 3:12
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
I answered this already but 2 peter 3 is going to happen before the new heavens and earth anyway. That comes with the return of Christ. And it's not referring to the burning up of the chemical, physical elements. It's the rudiments of the world and the works of men.

Reactions: No Pre-TB

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So he had access to Adam in paradise, even while Adam was living forever during God's sabbath?

God permitting Satan one more time into paradise (i.e the new heavens and new earth) after releasing him one more time after a thousand years is the only way the thousand years can fit into a time after the return of Christ - because there is no way scripture teaches that the new heavens and new earth follows 1,000 years later, regardless of the fact that Premillennialism needed a solution to the dilemma of how the thousand years follows the return of Christ, and came up with the idea that the new heavens and new earth follows after the millennium.

I obviously haven't been following you on some of this. Are you saying Satan had access to Adam in paradise? If so, I would agree. How else would Adam and Eve have fallen if Satan had gotten in there and tempted them?

But I have no idea why this causes you to think the New Heavens and New Earth cannot follow the Millennial Age? I don't at all find it to be a "dilemma" that the thousand years must follow the 2nd Coming of Christ. This is no dilemma at all--it's just the words of Scripture!

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Nope. Rev 21 is the first time the new heavens come to be and it's a long time after the second coming. The NHNE doe not exist when sinners and satan still exist. All sinners etc must be cast into the LOF before the NHNE comes.
There will be no sinners after Christ has returned until Satan has been released again. Then he will be permitted to test mankind a second time while mankind is living forever in a regenerated Garden of Eden a.k.a new heavens new earth a.k.a paradise on earth.

Only those in Revelation 20:4-6 who were beheaded had already gone through that test and only they are said to reign with Christ and only they are promised the 2nd death will have no power over them. OSAS applies to them.

They will not be reigning over mortals. They will be reigning over the saints. No doubt the apostles and all martyrs of all centuries and millennia will reign with them.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I obviously haven't been following you on some of this. Are you saying Satan had access to Adam in paradise? If so, I would agree. How else would Adam and Eve have fallen if Satan had gotten in there and tempted them?

But I have no idea why this causes you to think the New Heavens and New Earth cannot follow the Millennial Age? I don't at all find it to be a "dilemma" that the thousand years must follow the 2nd Coming of Christ. This is no dilemma at all--it's just the words of Scripture!
The thousand years does follow the return of Christ - so does the new heavens and earth.

That's what I'm saying. Those in Revelation 7 who came out from great tribulation are promised the exact same blessings those who overcome are promised in the NHNE in Revelation 21.

@Randy Kluth How long after Adam had become a living soul and was living forever in paradise during the sabbath of God did God allow Satan to tempt him? A thousand years?

We are not told - but it wasn't the day after Adam became a living soul.

@Randy Kluth Who do you think the nations "of those who are saved" are in Revelation 21?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So you would have the following...KJV 2 Peter 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
We should not get this backwards. First comes the supernatural cleansing fire to purify the earth and its atmosphere. Then comes the New Heavens and the New Earth "wherein dwelleth righteousness". Many details have not been revealed.

jeffweeder

Jul 6, 2007
South Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's not rocket science. God gave Satan access in paradise.

Maybe satan/serpent fell while originally dwelling in the garden.:contemplate:
God saw all he had created, and it was very good.
Nothing good about satan... once he fell.

Maybe the fall of lucifer preceded the fall of man by only an hour or so.
God creating man led to satans demise.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Maybe satan/serpent fell while originally dwelling in the garden.:contemplate:
God saw all he had created, and it was very good.
Nothing good about satan... once he fell.

Maybe the fall of lucifer preceded the fall of man by only an hour or so.
God creating man led to satans demise.
Yeah. Good thinking. That "maybe" is probably pretty close to the mark. How long after Adam became a living soul did he fall? A thousand years?

We are not told. But it wasn't the day after.

That fall led to death and expulsion from paradise. If God allows redeemed men to be tested with the same test He allowed Adam to be tested with, there will be no 2nd sacrifice for sin, no 2nd resurrection - and no 2nd resurrection from the 2nd death for any who follow Satan's Gog-Magog final rebellion.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The lack of rocket science is failing to see that 100 x 10 = 1,000 or "a thousand" or 10x10x10 = 1,000. A thousand means a thousand in that passage just like seven means seven throughout Revelation. It does not mean six or nine.

Also since Satan does not have access to Paradise, why would anyone think that he can test the saints in Paradise. One blunder after another.
100x10x1000x100x10x10 = your fairy tale dream

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thousand years does follow the return of Christ - so does the new heavens and earth.

That's what I'm saying. Those in Revelation 7 who came out from great tribulation are promised the exact same blessings those who overcome are promised in the NHNE in Revelation 21.

@Randy Kluth How long after Adam had become a living soul and was living forever in paradise during the sabbath of God did God allow Satan to tempt him? A thousand years?

We are not told - but it wasn't the day after Adam became a living soul.

@Randy Kluth Who do you think the nations "of those who are saved" are in Revelation 21?

The problem I'm having with you is that you seem to contradict yourself, and when asked about it you just brush it aside and continue to ask questions. You aren't making any point for yourself, nor explaining why these things are contradictions for you.

But I'm not upset about it. I like trying to answer questions regardless. It would just help if you could clarify what you believe or what your concerns are.

The question about who the nations are who bring their glory into the New Jerusalem is a good one. I've asked myself the same question for many years. I've played with the idea that the New Jerusalem is actually part of the Millennial Age, but most often I've had to conclude, because of the language, that the New Jerusalem comes down out of heaven at the end of the Millennial Age.

So I think the nations represent a new order in the eternal ages of Man, in which people are grouped by nationalities, though only by theocratic political systems. There will be no more need to procreate and multiply the human race. But there will still be a need for organization and collaboration. God's wish to create us in diversity could explain the continuity of "nations" on the eternal earth.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The problem I'm having with you is that you seem to contradict yourself, and when asked about it you just brush it aside and continue to ask questions. You aren't making any point for yourself, nor explaining why these things are contradictions for you.

But I'm not upset about it. I like trying to answer questions regardless. It would just help if you could clarify what you believe or what your concerns are.
I'm asking questions without expecting answers for each one, as though the question is unanswerable - because my position can only be called "agnosmillennialism" because I am neither a-millennialist, nor pre-millennialist, nor post-millennialist.

I believe in a literal millennium (so not Amil at all. They pretend Satan is now bound and the millennium commences before anyone was beheaded for refusing to worship the beast - Revelation 20:1-6). I don't believe the church will continue to expand until most of the world is Christian before Christ returns (Post-mil).

But nowadays I have a problem with Premil also - because when I look at things like this, I realize there isn't any evidence for the NHNE following the millennium:

Without looking at the chapters, see if you can separate the verses in Revelation 7 talking about the rewards of those who came out from great tribulation (which happens when Christ returns) from the verses talking about the rewards of those who overcome (in the NHNE):

The tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them. They serve Him day and night in His temple. And He sitting on the throne will dwell among them. They will not hunger any more, nor thirst any more, nor will the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will feed them, and will lead them to the fountains of living waters. And God will wipe away all tears from their eyes. To him who thirsts I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely. And God will wipe away all tears from their eyes.
The question about who the nations are who bring their glory into the New Jerusalem is a good one. I've asked myself the same question for many years. I've played with the idea that the New Jerusalem is actually part of the Millennial Age, but most often I've had to conclude, because of the language, that the New Jerusalem comes down out of heaven at the end of the Millennial Age.

So I think the nations represent a new order in the eternal ages of Man, in which people are grouped by nationalities, though only by theocratic political systems. There will be no more need to procreate and multiply the human race. But there will still be a need for organization and collaboration. God's wish to create us in diversity could explain the continuity of "nations" on the eternal earth.

.. and those nations are all resurrected people. Not only so, but in Revelation 19:7-14 we see the bride of Christ being invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb and following Him on white horses when He comes to judge the beast - and in the NHNE we see the bride of Christ (New Jerusalem) coming down from God out of heaven. Who says there is a millennium between the one and the other?

But consider this (remember I'm expressing the questions I'm asking myself if I ask you questions not trying to establish any position):

If there were (ever) to be a repeat, following the return of Christ and the resurrection of the saints, of the (resurrected) sons of Adam being tested even while the sons of Adam are alive and living forever in the new heavens and new earth during the sabbath rest of God (the way Adam had been alive and living forever in the Garden of Eden) - and these resurrected saints follow Satan in a rebellion (Revelation 20:7-9), as Adam had done when he was tested

- then for these resurrected ones, there will be no 2nd sacrifice for sins, no 2nd resurrection of Christ (who IS the resurrection and the life), and therefore no 2nd resurrection from the 2nd death either.

However, those who were beheaded for their testimony to Jesus, and for the Word of God, who refused to worship Satan or his beast, or the image of the beast (Revelation 13:4) had already been tested before the return of Christ, and overcame. The 2nd death has no power over them. "Once saved, always saved" applies to them.

Do you now understand why I asked you "How long after Adam became a living soul did God allow Satan to test him. A thousand years, maybe?

Then I said. We are not told how long Adam lived before this took place.

So my next question to you is (bearing in mind that I definitely do believe in a literal millennium following the return of Christ, but I'm expressing the questions an agnosmillennialist turns around in his own mind, without coming to answers or conclusions):

Haven't we all just assumed that it will be mortals who survived the Day of Christ / Day of the LORD who those mentioned in Revelation 20:3-6 will be reigning over? Why aren't all the other saints who will be resurrected when Christ returns mentioned there? Is it not perhaps resurrected saints who will be reigned over by the martyrs of Revelation 20:4-6 and (probably) the Apostles and all martyrs from all centuries?

The rest of the resurrected saints who have not been tested between following Satan and following God in the same way that Adam was, and that those in Revelation 20:4-6 and all other martyrs had been - will they not be faced with the same choice a thousand years later when Satan is released once more? And if we are ruled over by the martyrs, won't that make some resurrected saints rebel?

I'm asking a lot of questions without inserting it into scripture. That's why ended my first post in this thread with what I ended it with.

.. and the reason I'm in an agnosmillennialist place is because scripture is showing me (I've only quoted Revelation and 7 and 21 now in this post, but there are other scriptures too) that the NHNE does not follow after the millennium, but the millennium commences with the NHNE, and the millennium is literal.

I apologize for confusing you. I realize that this is an unusual concept to everyone else.

Last edited:

jeffweeder

Jul 6, 2007
South Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yeah. Good thinking. That "maybe" is probably pretty close to the mark. How long after Adam became a living soul did he fall? A thousand years?

We are not told. But it wasn't the day after.

Certainly not a thousand years.
God told Adam and Eve to go forth and multiply. How long before they obeyed that command? Next day is strong possibility yes:kiaora:

4 Now the man Adam knew Eve as his wife, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, “I have obtained a man (baby boy, son) with the help of the Lord.” 2 And [later] she gave birth to his brother Abel.

25 Adam knew [Eve as] his wife again; and she gave birth to a son, and named him Seth, for [she said], “God has granted another child for me in place of Abel, because Cain killed him.”

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Certainly not a thousand years.
God told Adam and Eve to go forth and multiply. How long before they obeyed that command? Next day is strong possibility yes:kiaora:

4 Now the man Adam knew Eve as his wife, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, “I have obtained a man (baby boy, son) with the help of the Lord.” 2 And [later] she gave birth to his brother Abel.

25 Adam knew [Eve as] his wife again; and she gave birth to a son, and named him Seth, for [she said], “God has granted another child for me in place of Abel, because Cain killed him.”
Maybe. How long is a day when the only time that exists in the universe is this moment because the future doesn't exist this moment and neither does the past (because nothing ever ages and dies so as to provide a measuring rod to measure "time" with?)

@jeffweeder Anyway Jeff both Psalms and Peter tell us that with God one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as a day.

Last edited:

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The words (Thousand Years) are nothing more than explaining God's eternal realm, as 2 Peter 3:8 describes "One Day Is A Thousand Years" with the Lord, No rocket science whatsoever

That's not true, Truth! If you notice in 2 Peter 3:9, Peter is speaking of the Lord's promise.

"One day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day" is concerning His promises.

In other words, His promise may take a thousand years to fulfill, but that promise is just as sure to come about as if it were one day.

This has been misunderstood and used against the Lord by those who desire the Scripture to work toward their own understanding and not "Thus saith the Lord."

It is a rebellion against the truth of God's word! It is apostasy!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm asking questions without expecting answers for each one, as though the question is unanswerable - because my position can only be called "agnosmillennialism" because I am neither a-millennialist, nor pre-millennialist, nor post-millennialist.

Well, I can understand that, except the part about "agnosmillennialism!" ;) It doesn't concern me if you don't have an opinion. What I'm trying to figure out is where you see the contradictions?

I believe in a literal millennium (so not Amil at all. They pretend Satan is now bound and the millennium commences before anyone was beheaded for refusing to worship the beast - Revelation 20:1-6). I don't believe the church will continue to expand until most of the world is Christian before Christ returns (Post-mil).

Oh, I see. You're a Premill like I am? Good! That's what the Bible teaches, in my opinion. And yes, there's no way Satan is bound presently. Premill lost ground to Amill on the issue of Israel, and I understand that. Israel ceased to be an issue for a very long time. But today, Israel has come back into the picture, and I think we would do well to return Premill to its original pro-Israel position, which is where I think the Apostle John was in the book of Revelation. Do you have a view on that?

But nowadays I have a problem with Premil also - because when I look at things like this, I realize there isn't any evidence for the NHNE following the millennium:

Oh, I see. Yes, I went through that also.

Without looking at the chapters, see if you can separate the verses in Revelation 7 talking about the rewards of those who came out from great tribulation (which happens when Christ returns) from the verses talking about the rewards of those who overcome (in the NHNE):

The tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them. They serve Him day and night in His temple. And He sitting on the throne will dwell among them. They will not hunger any more, nor thirst any more, nor will the sun light on them, nor any heat. For the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will feed them, and will lead them to the fountains of living waters. And God will wipe away all tears from their eyes. To him who thirsts I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely. And God will wipe away all tears from their eyes.

Good point. I do think that the rewards of the saints in the present age is different than the mortal population in the Millennial Age. Glorified Christians enter into a period of rule over the Millennial earth, and they immediately experience the rewards of glorification. That doesn't mean the mortal world in the Millennial Age will experience the rewards of glorification because they will not yet be glorified.

So the glorified Church does enter into a period where they "thirst no more." And that begins immediately in the Millennial Age, though it doesn't apply to the mortal world who live in the Millennial Age. It will be free of international warfare, but it will not be free of hunger for those who remain mortal.

The mortal population who prove to be saints in the Millennial era will not experience the rewards of the New Jerusalem until it actually comes down from heaven at the end of the Millennial Period. The already-glorified saints will have already gone to heaven to experience it. But those who are raised up in the 2nd resurrection will experience it when it comes down from heaven.

If there were (ever) to be a repeat, following the return of Christ and the resurrection of the saints, of the (resurrected) sons of Adam being tested even while the sons of Adam are alive and living forever in the new heavens and new earth during the sabbath rest of God (the way Adam had been alive and living forever in the Garden of Eden) - and these resurrected saints follow Satan in a rebellion (Revelation 20:7-9), as Adam had done when he was tested

- then for these resurrected ones, there will be no 2nd sacrifice for sins, no 2nd resurrection of Christ (who IS the resurrection and the life), and therefore no 2nd resurrection from the 2nd death either.

Sorry, that's unimaginable for me. Glorified saints have determined their eternal destiny. It's baked into God's plan. We don't make the rules--God does. And He said that those who accept him and are glorified have no more cause for sin, and have eternal life. In other words, it won't ever change.

I apologize for confusing you. I realize that this is an unusual concept to everyone else.

Thanks, it was complex, so it did take some explaining. I appreciate it. I can see what verses you were trying to make work.

Reactions: Zao is life