Scripture with Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Essential Doctrines?

• Total voters

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm new here. Started to post my introduction but decided to look further. I'm not sure this place is right for me. This thread gives me reason to think there might be something worthwhile here. It has been a shock to see how narrow-minded & stubborn most Christians are. Guess that is why He calls us His sheep.

Welcome to the forum my friend.

Uisdean

Aug 12, 2018
Asheville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I should not be surprised at what I found here. I will try to answer your original question:

The original post asked
"1.) Can we agree that the Scriptures take precedence over our own personal opinions or traditions?

2.) Do we search the Scriptures diligently to support our beliefs?

3.) What are the basic doctrines of the Bible that you must hold to in order to be a Christian, according to the Scriptures?"

#1 should be 'Yes'.
#2 therefore, should be 'No'...we search Scripture to learn about God's opinion: "It's about The Kingdom".
#3 the creeds were designed to fight heresy. To answer this question you either accept them or invent your own. Each of us believes more than just the creeds, but they are a good starting point.

BTW--"Celebration of Discipline" is excellent.

Rejoice Always!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stick around, Usi. We are really no different than people (humans) you will find in any group anywhere, Christian or otherwise.
As the old saying goes:

"If you find the perfect church... DON'T JOIN IT.... because you will ruin it."

Posting here is kind of like voting for Trump. It ain't perfect, but it is far better than the alternative.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The scriptures tell us that the Holy Spirit will lead us into ALL truth. Either he does or he doesn't. If he doesn't, there must be something deficient with our relationship with him. If he does, then we can be confident about the truth that he leads into.

On another forum, I was asked how could I know that God was talking to me. It wasn't a question. It was an accusation. My reply was that Jesus said my sheep know my voice. The fact that is what Jesus said means that it is the truth. His sheep do KNOW his voice.

If a person doesn't know his voice then I would suggest that there is something deficient in their relationship with Jesus.

True Christianity is all about relationship. Without relationship it is religion and that is man made.

Paul said "that I may know him..." He did not say "that I may know about him..." The more I know him the more I understand him and the better I am able to enjoy all that he has to offer me and all that he has done for me and all that he means to me and all that I mean to him.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Willie T
Which means that it brings all his individual books on prayer under one anthology. The separate books as paperbacks were as below:
The Essentials of Prayer
The Necessity of Prayer
The Possibilities of Prayer
Power through Prayer
Prayer and Praying Men
Purpose in Prayer
The Reality of Prayer
The Weapon of Prayer

https://mikebickle.org/e-m-bounds/

These are as listed in the front of my book with copyright dates.
I notice they are slightly different. Who knows why:

Power through Prayer 1982
Prayer & Spiritual Warfare 1984
Praying that Receives Answers 1984
The Possibilities of Prayer 1994
Essentials of Prayer 1994
The Weapon of Prayer 1996
Praying with a Purpose 1997

I will without a doubt be reading it through once I have finished the one I have started at the instigation of our friend @Willie T
Willie, I jumped ahead and finished the chapter on prayer from Celebration of Discipline already. This morning I read several pages starting at the beginning. It reads easy and so far is quite interesting. Thanks again for all of your help

Reactions: Willie T

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I might suggest however, just as a caveat to the above, that all the exercise and good intentions in the world are of very little benefit of ones diet is skewed. Diet plays a far greater part in ones spiritual and physical health that most people realise.
Also, exercise and diet are but two facets of at least 8 principles that lead to good health.
http://www.adventisthealth.net/
Thank you my friend. I may take a look, but my wife is usually very careful about what she feeds me. My trouble comes when she is sick but in the last few months she has been well most of the time and doing a good job for us. I know my main trouble is a lack of exercise. I thought I could handle it by walking alone, but with the high temperatures and humidity this time of the year, I just cannot walk as much as I should. My biggest problem is getting out of breath too easily, but I am working on a solution now. Again, thank you.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm new here. Started to post my introduction but decided to look further. I'm not sure this place is right for me. This thread gives me reason to think there might be something worthwhile here. It has been a shock to see how narrow-minded & stubborn most Christians are. Guess that is why He calls us His sheep.
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, the sheep are the ones who hear His voice. Give God the glory!

Reactions: Episkopos

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks so much! I pray that we can have a meaningful conversation here

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It has been a shock to see how narrow-minded & stubborn most Christians are.
Depends on what you mean by *narrow-minded*. If it is a reference to the narrow gate and the narrow way then being narrow minded is actually a good thing.

Reactions: Uisdean

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
bazinga. "My sheep hear My voice" is also a dig at those who are sure they are "saved" yet have not done a thing that Christ commanded His disciples to do imo

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Inductive reasoning: Whereby we already have a conclusion in mind as we seek for evidence of it.

Deductive reasoning: Where we are trying to find a conclusion by reason of evidence.

But the best way to understand the bible is by the same Spirit that wrote it in the first place. :)

Uisdean

Aug 12, 2018
Asheville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bazinga. "My sheep hear My voice" is also a dig at those who are sure they are "saved" yet have not done a thing that Christ commanded His disciples to do imo
Commandments of Christ
1. Love God w/all your heart
2. Love your neighbor as yourself
3. Observe Eucharist/Lord's Supper
4. Make disciples
5. ? Any others that don't fall into one of the four?
6. All those soft sweet orders He gives us daily.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Inductive reasoning: Whereby we already have a conclusion in mind as we seek for evidence of it.

Deductive reasoning: Where we are trying to find a conclusion by reason of evidence.

But the best way to understand the bible is by the same Spirit that wrote it in the first place. :)
Do we not all employ Inductive Reasoning when we read the Scriptures, with a preconceived understanding that God loves us? Are we searching, at the turn of each page, to discover if either love or hate for us is God's intent?

One thing I state and re-state here often, is that:
"You will find the God/god you search for... and that is who you will follow."

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do we not all employ Inductive Reasoning when we read the Scriptures, with a preconceived understanding that God loves us? Are we searching, at the turn of each page, to discover if either love or hate for us is God's intent?

One thing I state and re-state here often, is that:
"You will find the God/god you search for... and that is who you will follow."

I think we need a bit of both. We have to allow ourselves some room for growth and more understanding. God has this way of being infinite after all. ;)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we need a bit of both. We have to allow ourselves some room for growth and more understanding. God has this way of being infinite after all. ;)
I am becoming more and more convinced that the main reason God has me here is to "attempt" to curb and curtail EXTREMEISM POSTING at both ends of the spectrum. :D

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    95 bytes · Views: 0

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so you say, but then you cannot ezackly prove your position there, can you. actually that is not even true to a point now, imo God can be proven, but let's nevermind that part for now bc you do not know the proof anyway prolly. There is a "maybe" to that right now, for practical purposes iow, and there would remain one anyway if i am looking for say an Old Man in a White Beard with a Crown and a Gown and God felt like channelling a Flower Pot right then, right? Someone could say "God is, for sure, no kidding, in the next room right now" and i would walk in and see a flower pot and go "nuh uh" right.

So, the arrow in this vid might be considered Absolute Truth, but i guess it works for God too prolly, although i always considered the archer for that role. We are the moose of course, although that is prolly not very complimentary to the moose :D
our vignette culminates @ 1:45
and previous comments lead me to assume that i need to state that the moose does not see the hunter nor the arrow,
and that the hunter is not hunting meese that day

That video was pretty neat! And haha. Yes, dictionaries do define facts and opinions. I took a bit of a break, so it took me awhile to respond.

Anyway though, an Absolute Truth doesn't need to be proven. If a tree is falling in the woods and no one is around, does it make a sound? The sound waves can be proven, but no one has to be around for those sound waves to be given off.

So yes, God is absolute truth. Just looking at space and planet earth, miracles all around us, I believe that is proof enough... The Bible is proof enough to me. But faith is not having all the proof and believing anyway. Thomas felt Christ's holes in His hands and feet and only then did he believe.

Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."
John 20:29 NASB

I don't think we need to be able to prove everything we believe. It is nice to be able to present scripture in defense, but I think the main thing is having an answer for the hope that is within us, which is our salvation in Christ Jesus. And see, I will have to find the scripture address that talks about that on my app.

But yeh. Truth isn't relative. Facts are facts. Opinions are opinions...

The thing is knowing which facts are the most important to be discussed. These facts deal directly with our faith.

Reactions: amadeus

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am becoming more and more convinced that the main reason God has me here is to "attempt" to curb and curtail EXTREMEISM POSTING at both ends of the spectrum. :D

Agreed! Totalitarianism seems right in the moment...but the fruit isn't ripe. ;)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do the doctrines we have received help us to know God? Do they cause us to love others? Or do they cause us to judge?
Since the Bible says that both grace and truth came by Jesus Christ, God expects a proper balance in our thoughts and attitudes. Doctrines are to bring us to God's truth and keep us there. Grace is to enable us to love others as God and Christ love them.

And indeed love can include judgment since Christ says "As many as I love I rebuke and chasten. Be zealous therefore and repent" (Rev 3:19).

So unless we strive to keep a proper balance between grace and truth, we will either go into error or fall into sentimentality.

Reactions: Uisdean and Mjh29