Scripture with Scripture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Essential Doctrines?

• Total voters

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=senior+yoga
https://www.google.com/search?q=sen...ome..69i57.10643j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
learn a routine, put on your Barnum hat and go give classes like a boss! :D
or give it away and get put in grateful ppls wills lol, your choice.
i say it like this bc you will not be able to give this away for free
at least in my experience
You put thoughts into my head my friend. I do need to do something. I will follow my plan to call the toll free number through my insurance to see what they offer. I have been to the gym here and enjoyed the workouts so if that is feasible then OK. But what you are suggesting is something I have never considered. My problem is setting up the routine [whatever it is, physical, mental, etc.] and then getting into it. The second part is the more difficult, but I know I can and God is letting me know that it is needful. We are stewards and part of stewardship is this body of flesh so often misused and abused. Thank you.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes, perhaps it would be best for us if we prayed that God grant us a little more pain and damage so as to be taught the better, eh...?
Not so easy to pray such a prayer. Then people will ask me why I pray often in an unknown tongue.
HA! ya, when one prays in God's Will, they are asking for pain imo. "Thank you Sir, may i have another"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I will follow my plan to call the toll free number through my insurance to see what they offer.
death, if you ask me
I have been to the gym here and enjoyed the workouts so if that is feasible then OK.
muscles in the wrong places
But what you are suggesting is something I have never considered.
amazing and hardly believable stories of recuperation and extended fulfilling life, ppl who could only look at the ground that can now look at the sky again, hunchbacks disappearing, even renewed interest in sex, etc, as the link will testify. Christians hate yoga, right? Should be all the clue you need A lol

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HA! ya, when one prays in God's Will, they are asking for pain imo. "Thank you Sir, may i have another"
Just as a point of interest, neither Jesus nor the disciples ever prayed "IF it is your will, God." (No, not even in that final prayer in the garden, that someone may be thinking of quoting, was that note of doubting what God's will is ever used.)

Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as a point of interest, neither Jesus nor the disciples ever prayed "IF it is your will, God." (No, not even in that final prayer in the garden, that someone may be thinking of quoting, was that note of doubting what God's will is ever used.)
How do we pray? As you say that example in Gethsemene seems the best one, if we are able to understand the what and the why. Again really we cannot always pray correctly without God's help even in that. So... in spite of people arguing against it for this reason or that, I won't stop until God directs me that way. He will lead us if we are really willing to follow.

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do we pray? As you say that example in Gethsemene seems the best one, if we are able to understand the what and the why. Again really we cannot always pray correctly without God's help even in that. So... in spite of people arguing against it for this reason or that, I won't stop until God directs me that way. He will lead us if we are really willing to follow.
One thing I have come to learn is that "praying" is far more a learning to listen, than the 'talking' we do toward God. If you now have the book Celebration of Discipline, there is an excellent chapter in there about prayer. (Page 33)

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just as a point of interest, neither Jesus nor the disciples ever prayed "IF it is your will, God."
So what do you make of this: And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. (Mt 26:39).

Looks like a retraction is in order.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what do you make of this: And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. (Mt 26:39).

Looks like a retraction is in order.
It doesn't work to cut my post in half and ignore the fact that I already answered that... before you even asked it.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing I have come to learn is that "praying" is far more a learning to listen, than the 'talking' we do toward God. If you now have the book Celebration of Discipline, there is an excellent chapter in there about prayer. (Page 33)
I do have the book and have skimmed the table of contents. Perhaps tomorrow I can look into the prayer chapter. Thank you

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do have the book and have skimmed the table of contents. Perhaps tomorrow I can look into the prayer chapter. Thank you
My wife and I do the "Flash Praying" all the time. We have for years before I even heard of the book. (She has never read it.)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife and I do the "Flash Praying" all the time. We have for years before I even heard of the book. (She has never read it.)
I actually read through a couple of pages on prayer and it looks good so far.

A few years ago, our pastor bought a copy of "On Prayer" by "EM Bounds" for each family in the congregation. Both my wife and I read it shortly thereafter. I remember it had some good things in it, although I don't recall the specifics anymore. I so still have that book as well… a paperback.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I actually read through a couple of pages on prayer and it looks good so far.

A few years ago, our pastor bought a copy of "On Prayer" by "EM Bounds" for each family in the congregation. Both my wife and I read it shortly thereafter. I remember it had some good things in it, although I don't recall the specifics anymore. I so still have that book as well… a paperback.
E.M. Bounds wrote a series of books on prayer which were published in paperback some time ago. They were all excellent. Not sure if there are reprints today.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
E.M. Bounds wrote a series of books on prayer which were published in paperback some time ago. They were all excellent. Not sure if there are reprints today.
As I recall, he's the only person I ever heard refer to "ejaculatory prayer." I have to admit it shocked me a little.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just checked my copy. It was printed in 1997 as a 7 in 1 anthology dated between 1982 and 1997. My book contains over 600 pages. Looking at it now I am reminded that my wife read it all, but I only read part of it. I'll set it aside to make sure I get it all this time. I am really a slow reader, but that's OK too.
Give God the glory!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I just checked my copy. It was printed in 1997 as a 7 in 1 anthology dated between 1982 and 1997. My book contains over 600 pages.
Which means that it brings all his individual books on prayer under one anthology. The separate books as paperbacks were as below:
The Essentials of Prayer
The Necessity of Prayer
The Possibilities of Prayer
Power through Prayer
Prayer and Praying Men
Purpose in Prayer
The Reality of Prayer
The Weapon of Prayer
https://mikebickle.org/e-m-bounds/

Uisdean

Aug 12, 2018
Asheville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm new here. Started to post my introduction but decided to look further. I'm not sure this place is right for me. This thread gives me reason to think there might be something worthwhile here. It has been a shock to see how narrow-minded & stubborn most Christians are. Guess that is why He calls us His sheep.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Mjh29
B

brakelite

You put thoughts into my head my friend. I do need to do something. I will follow my plan to call the toll free number through my insurance to see what they offer. I have been to the gym here and enjoyed the workouts so if that is feasible then OK. But what you are suggesting is something I have never considered. My problem is setting up the routine [whatever it is, physical, mental, etc.] and then getting into it. The second part is the more difficult, but I know I can and God is letting me know that it is needful. We are stewards and part of stewardship is this body of flesh so often misused and abused. Thank you.
I might suggest however, just as a caveat to the above, that all the exercise and good intentions in the world are of very little benefit of ones diet is skewed. Diet plays a far greater part in ones spiritual and physical health that most people realise.
Also, exercise and diet are but two facets of at least 8 principles that lead to good health.
http://www.adventisthealth.net/

Reactions: amadeus

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Seriously, actually READ what I wrote, instead of seeing if you can work up an argument about something. There is not one of those things Catholics present without what they feel is Scriptural verification. And we cannot dispute that obvious fact... We can ONLY dispute their interpretations of the Scriptures they use.

Originally Posted by: Willie T
"Catholics back up just about EVERYTHING they believe with Scripture. BUT... most Protestants are not willing to accept their interpretations of those Scriptures. However, they are STILL very clearly and (in their views) accurately backed-up.
What do we do with situations like that?"

Willie,

Purgatory is nowhere found in Scripture. The RCC uses the Apocrypha (Deuterocanonical books) to support it.
https://www.catholic.com/node/10900
Catholic Answers states:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches:

All who die in God’s grace, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven (1030).​

He went on to state:

This seems so simple. Its common sense. Scripture is very clear when it says, "But nothing unclean shall enter [heaven]" (Rev. 21:27). Hab. 1:13 says, "You [God]... are of purer eyes than to behold evil and cannot look on wrong..." How many of us will be perfectly sanctified at the time of our deaths? I dare say most of us will be in need of further purification in order to enter the gates of heaven after we die, if, please God, we die in a state of grace.​

This is a red herring because all Christians who are truly born again have been justified (declared righteous) before God (Rom 5:1). We don't need to be perfect in sanctification at death. All true believers will enter heaven as clean through faith in Christ alone.

Again, he gives the alleged 'biblical' support:

In II Maccabees 12:39-46, we discover Judas Maccabeus and members of his Jewish military forces collecting the bodies of some fallen comrades who had been killed in battle. When they discovered these men were carrying “sacred tokens of the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear” (vs. 40), Judas and his companions discerned they had died as a punishment for sin. Therefore, Judas and his men “turned to prayer beseeching that the sin which had been committed might be wholly blotted out… He also took up a collection... and sent it to Jerusalem to provide for a sin offering. In doing this he acted very well and honorably… Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.”​

Are you prepared to defend the Apocrypha as being in the Scriptures?

One more question: Where in the Bible do you find the practice of sprinkling holy water?

Oz

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Willie,

Purgatory is nowhere found in Scripture. The RCC uses the Apocrypha (Deuterocanonical books) to support it. AND THAT IS WHAT THEY FEEL IS SCRIPTURAL... JUST AS I SAID.
Catholic Answers states:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches:

All who die in God’s grace, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven (1030).​

He went on to state:

This seems so simple. Its common sense. Scripture is very clear when it says, "But nothing unclean shall enter [heaven]" (Rev. 21:27). Hab. 1:13 says, "You [God]... are of purer eyes than to behold evil and cannot look on wrong..." How many of us will be perfectly sanctified at the time of our deaths? I dare say most of us will be in need of further purification in order to enter the gates of heaven after we die, if, please God, we die in a state of grace.​

This is a red herring because all Christians who are truly born again have been justified (declared righteous) before God (Rom 5:1). We don't need to be perfect in sanctification at death. All true believers will enter heaven as clean through faith in Christ alone.

Again, he gives the alleged 'biblical' support:

In II Maccabees 12:39-46, we discover Judas Maccabeus and members of his Jewish military forces collecting the bodies of some fallen comrades who had been killed in battle. When they discovered these men were carrying “sacred tokens of the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear” (vs. 40), Judas and his companions discerned they had died as a punishment for sin. Therefore, Judas and his men “turned to prayer beseeching that the sin which had been committed might be wholly blotted out… He also took up a collection... and sent it to Jerusalem to provide for a sin offering. In doing this he acted very well and honorably… Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin.”​

Are you prepared to defend the Apocrypha as being in the Scriptures?

One more question: Where in the Bible do you find the practice of sprinkling holy water?

Oz
Any of us who DO NOT believe in purgatory can easily see where they get that idea. It is actually said (IN WHAT WE APPROVE AS SCRIPTURE) that the thief on the cross would be with Jesus that very day. Add to that misunderstanding, the same error we Protestants also make in declaring that our "spirits go to be with Jesus the moment we die", (largely taken from the Lazarus and the Rich Man Parable) and it is easy to see how both sides claim all sorts of errors we all swear are "backed up by Scripture."

Stop trying to claim Catholics are stupid and just pull things out of mid air. They are simply as mistaken in assumptions and beliefs as we are about many things. They are honest people, trying to worship Jesus the best they understand... just like Protestants. We can fill pages with things we back up with Scripture, that probably leaves God shaking His head.

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm new here. Started to post my introduction but decided to look further. I'm not sure this place is right for me. This thread gives me reason to think there might be something worthwhile here. It has been a shock to see how narrow-minded & stubborn most Christians are. Guess that is why He calls us His sheep.
My friend, you are in the lap of love, compared with SOME forums. Go check out WorthyChristian.com if you want to see narrow-mindedness.

Reactions: brakelite