Should Christian parents trust their children’s education to public schools?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe in home education

• Yes I do believe in Home education

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • No, I do not believe in Home education

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Not that worried one way or the other.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I would leave that choice to my child

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Friends of Jesus

Nov 25, 2021
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

(Wanted to share this article with you all and the ask what your views are on home schooling against public school education.)

At the time America was founded, many parents in this nation took on the task of educating their children. Times have changed, and over the course of generations, an increasing number of parents have handed over the responsibility of educating their children to full-time teaching professionals. As less than 5 percent of students are homeschooled, the overwhelming majority of school-aged children attend public schools (90 percent) with the remainder attending parochial and non-parochial private schools (6 percent) (www.thinkimpact.com/homeschooling-statistics, www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/public-school, accessed 11/17/21).

According to an article in the Public School Review, cost and convenience are the public school system’s two biggest draws (www.publicschoolreview.com/blog/public-school-vs-private-school, accessed 11/17/21). Public schools are taxpayer funded; therefore, parents need not worry about costly tuition. Assuming that the child lives within the school district, transportation to and from the classroom is free. Also, public schools provide meals, often free or at reduced cost, and are equipped to aid students with learning disabilities and behavioral challenges.

However, many parents are at odds with public school systems. These parents worry that government-run public schools are a stronghold for political correctness, secular humanism, so-called wokeism, and radical, leftist indoctrination that will undermine the Judeo-Christian values they wish to pass on to their children. It would be foolish to assert all public schools are clandestine Marxist training camps. In fact, more than a third of the nation’s public school teachers identify themselves as evangelical Christians (www.christianheadlines.com/contributors/michael-foust/37-percent-of-public-school-teachers-are-evangelical-christians-poll-finds.html, accessed 11/17/21). There are many excellent public schools that focus on academics rather than political correctness and are staffed with caring, dedicated teachers who welcome, not discourage, parental involvement. However, it is the view of many that the nation’s public schools are heading in a wrong direction.

A child’s religious upbringing is the responsibility of the parents (Deuteronomy 11:19). Women and men of faith do not expect their children’s public school teachers to provide religious instruction; teachers are to focus on academics, the arts, and physical education. Public schools are to serve children of all faiths or of no faith, and classrooms are to remain free of bias concerning matters of religion, but a growing number of Christian moms and dads believe public schools are becoming openly hostile to the values, beliefs, and doctrines expressed in Scripture. These parents see public schools as encroaching upon their parental authority. Are public schools undermining Christian ethics and biblical morality? Here are some areas of concern:

• The presence of LBGTQ and other sexually explicit literature in some public school libraries
• The National School Boards Association’s labeling of parents expressing their dissent at school board meetings as “domestic terrorists”
• Public education’s overwhelming unwillingness to give creation science equal time with evolutionary theory
• The influence of Planned Parenthood, the nation’s leading abortion provider, in public schools—according to their own website, Planned Parenthood is also the nation’s leading sex education provider
• The “dumbing down” of curricula on the assumption that some subjects, such as advanced mathematics, are steeped in racism
• A child’s inability to refute or resist teachings that are contrary to the Christian faith

For many families, one option to a public school is a Christian school, which has a different approach to education. Tuition cost is a prime factor preventing more parents from enrolling their children in a Christian school. There is also the matter of practicality. Parents’ work schedules, a lack of transportation, and distances to and from school may pose logistical difficulties for families. Even so, there are advantages offered by private Christian schools:

• Christian schools partner with parents of faith by teaching all subjects from a Christian worldview.
• Christian teachers consider their efforts a divine calling.
• Classes are smaller in most Christian schools, making students more likely to receive individualized attention from their teachers.
• Christian schools are inherently safer. Illicit drugs are not as prevalent, and instances of bullying and gang violence are less likely to occur on Christian school campuses.
• Faith-based schools tend to outperform public schools academically. Also, many Christian schools offer programs in athletics and the arts, and the school size allows ample opportunity for involvement.
• Many faith-based schools offer scholarships that benefit lower income families.

Parents have much to weigh in the important matter of their children’s education: what’s taught in the classroom, the level and type of peer pressure, and possible challenges to their children’s faith, values, and even gender. All these things and more are considerations in the modern public school environment. The following passages may prove helpful in guiding Christian parents:

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it (Proverbs 22:6, NKJV).

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 19:14, NKJV).

And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up (Deuteronomy 6:6–7, NKJV).

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction (Proverbs 1:7, ESV).

Students are not greater than their teacher. But the student who is fully trained will become like the teacher (Luke 6:40, NLT).

Christian parents are obligated to know the who, what, why, and how their children are being instructed. Know your child’s teachers. Know the school’s administrators. Know the curricula being taught. Knowledge is power, and, where your child’s education is concerned, there is no bliss in ignorance.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Wanted to share this article with you all and the ask what your views are on home schooling against public school education.)

At the time America was founded, many parents in this nation took on the task of educating their children. Times have changed, and over the course of generations, an increasing number of parents have handed over the responsibility of educating their children to full-time teaching professionals. As less than 5 percent of students are homeschooled, the overwhelming majority of school-aged children attend public schools (90 percent) with the remainder attending parochial and non-parochial private schools (6 percent) (www.thinkimpact.com/homeschooling-statistics, www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/public-school, accessed 11/17/21).

According to an article in the Public School Review, cost and convenience are the public school system’s two biggest draws (www.publicschoolreview.com/blog/public-school-vs-private-school, accessed 11/17/21). Public schools are taxpayer funded; therefore, parents need not worry about costly tuition. Assuming that the child lives within the school district, transportation to and from the classroom is free. Also, public schools provide meals, often free or at reduced cost, and are equipped to aid students with learning disabilities and behavioral challenges.

However, many parents are at odds with public school systems. These parents worry that government-run public schools are a stronghold for political correctness, secular humanism, so-called wokeism, and radical, leftist indoctrination that will undermine the Judeo-Christian values they wish to pass on to their children. It would be foolish to assert all public schools are clandestine Marxist training camps. In fact, more than a third of the nation’s public school teachers identify themselves as evangelical Christians (www.christianheadlines.com/contributors/michael-foust/37-percent-of-public-school-teachers-are-evangelical-christians-poll-finds.html, accessed 11/17/21). There are many excellent public schools that focus on academics rather than political correctness and are staffed with caring, dedicated teachers who welcome, not discourage, parental involvement. However, it is the view of many that the nation’s public schools are heading in a wrong direction.

A child’s religious upbringing is the responsibility of the parents (Deuteronomy 11:19). Women and men of faith do not expect their children’s public school teachers to provide religious instruction; teachers are to focus on academics, the arts, and physical education. Public schools are to serve children of all faiths or of no faith, and classrooms are to remain free of bias concerning matters of religion, but a growing number of Christian moms and dads believe public schools are becoming openly hostile to the values, beliefs, and doctrines expressed in Scripture. These parents see public schools as encroaching upon their parental authority. Are public schools undermining Christian ethics and biblical morality? Here are some areas of concern:

• The presence of LBGTQ and other sexually explicit literature in some public school libraries
• The National School Boards Association’s labeling of parents expressing their dissent at school board meetings as “domestic terrorists”
• Public education’s overwhelming unwillingness to give creation science equal time with evolutionary theory
• The influence of Planned Parenthood, the nation’s leading abortion provider, in public schools—according to their own website, Planned Parenthood is also the nation’s leading sex education provider
• The “dumbing down” of curricula on the assumption that some subjects, such as advanced mathematics, are steeped in racism
• A child’s inability to refute or resist teachings that are contrary to the Christian faith

For many families, one option to a public school is a Christian school, which has a different approach to education. Tuition cost is a prime factor preventing more parents from enrolling their children in a Christian school. There is also the matter of practicality. Parents’ work schedules, a lack of transportation, and distances to and from school may pose logistical difficulties for families. Even so, there are advantages offered by private Christian schools:

• Christian schools partner with parents of faith by teaching all subjects from a Christian worldview.
• Classes are smaller in most Christian schools, making students more likely to receive individualized attention from their teachers.
• Christian schools are inherently safer. Illicit drugs are not as prevalent, and instances of bullying and gang violence are less likely to occur on Christian school campuses.
• Faith-based schools tend to outperform public schools academically. Also, many Christian schools offer programs in athletics and the arts, and the school size allows ample opportunity for involvement.
• Many faith-based schools offer scholarships that benefit lower income families.

Parents have much to weigh in the important matter of their children’s education: what’s taught in the classroom, the level and type of peer pressure, and possible challenges to their children’s faith, values, and even gender. All these things and more are considerations in the modern public school environment. The following passages may prove helpful in guiding Christian parents:

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it (Proverbs 22:6, NKJV).

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 19:14, NKJV).

And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up (Deuteronomy 6:6–7, NKJV).

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction (Proverbs 1:7, ESV).

Students are not greater than their teacher. But the student who is fully trained will become like the teacher (Luke 6:40, NLT).

Christian parents are obligated to know the who, what, why, and how their children are being instructed. Know your child’s teachers. Know the school’s administrators. Know the curricula being taught. Knowledge is power, and, where your child’s education is concerned, there is no bliss in ignorance.

Only if they oversee what their children are being taught and show them with Scripture the errors. It takes involvement and loving ones children.
I was fortunate to send my three sons to Christian school thru 12th grade. But many parents do nto have the finances to do so. So they should be more diligent in seeing what the state is indoctriniating their children with.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I plan to homeschool when I have children. But I believe it's fine if parents prayerfully decide to choose public school.

We can't avoid our children's exposure to worldly ideas forever. We must, however, equip them to handle it well.
You homeschool sister . Raise those babies up in the ways of the LORD . If i could i warn every parent
NOT to expose their children to this corrupt system . Not once .
And yes , like you , i aint judging those who put them into said public schools . BUT i would tell them NOT TO DO SO .
parents , even years back wondered why their children ended up turning against their biblical beliefs .
WELL if we feed our children to the lions they become the meat of said lions . These poor children .
I weep and wail for this generation . I would strongly tell all christain parents to HOME SCHOOL
or you get your kids into a well founded bible school .

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All my children are in public school as that is the only option. When both parents have to work full-time, homeschooling is not an option. Nor are cost prohibitive Christian schools an option.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely ! I trust my town 100% and I love their curriculum. I didn’t move to this town without doing my homework. 60% of the budget goes to education.
The public schools here are the best.

Reactions: McFearless

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Apparently there is some evil being taught in public schools.

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, I do agree that people have become much more secular and materialistic, and I do share and understand at least some of your concerns, having gone to a very liberal college myself which was...pretty hostile and unfriendly to religious views.

That being said, I think this should be decided on a case-to-case basis. I think there is nothing wrong with homeschooling, although I never experienced this myself. I think the Amish community's system is akin to that somewhat.

Have you considered the Waldorf and Montessori school education systems? They encourage children to be individual thinkers - to experiment with creative solutions and ideas from a very early age, not just rote memorization or standarized testing, and offer a very unique and fascinating alternative that I think people from both sides of the political spectrum can respect and appreciate. :)

Waldorf vs. Montessori schools | Our Kids
Montessori vs. Waldorf: What’s the Difference? | NA Montessori | St. Louis

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's a tough one, private Christian schools are getting more expensive, (the issue with public schools used to just be that the kids may be rougher and the science lessons may teach things like evolution or the big bang) but the state is teaching more nonsense now in public schools at least here in Australia and home schooling requires a lot of time. I can understand why some Christian parents have no choice.

Proverbs 22:6
"Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it."

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a tough one, private Christian schools are getting more expensive, (the issue with public schools used to just be that the kids may be rougher and the science lessons may teach things like evolution or the big bang) but the state is teaching more nonsense now in public schools at least here in Australia and home schooling requires a lot of time. I can understand why some Christian parents have no choice.

Proverbs 22:6
"Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it."
this is why I believe in school vouchers. My taxes should go to whatever school I want my child to go to.

Reactions: Brakelite and Josho

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trusting your children’s education to public schools and turning a blind eye to what is being taught are... not congruent ideas. It is surely possible to send your children to public schools but point out things being taught that are antithetical to God's Word and steering your children in the right way ~ and not stepping on the toes of any teacher in that public school ~ if necessary.

Grace and peace.

Reactions: LouisWilliams

McFearless

Nov 16, 2021
Denmark(Copenhagen)
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark

Yes, Christian parents shouldn’t have problems with public schools. It’s not true that all christian teachers see their role as a calling, I’ve also experienced atheist teachers who in some way also feel as if teaching is their calling.
You should be more worried about how dictatorial your parenting style becomes.
If your wish is to push your child away from God, you should totally do micro manage parenting. No tv, no internet, no newspapers - just a dark room underground with a lock on the door.

When I grew up I went to a Christian boarding school with some kids that had been homeschooled (which is very rare for Christians to do in Denmark). Homeschool children are creepy and socially weird. They don’t know how to handle conflict or disagreement, they get really good at quoting their parents and they are afraid of breaking the rules and taking the consequences. And them then they always have some suppressed sexual weirdness (not always).

Your children should learn to navigate in this world and they won’t learn to navigate, if you shield them. Kids are supposed to make trouble and break the rules, that’s how they learn. Nobody wishes to have well behaved children, we all want children who are able to protest evil, fight for what’s right and even overstep the rules, when that’s preferable - as we all do.

If you bring your children up in a strict environment you’ll strangle their light. Just remember that we need to be little troublemakers to realize the love God has got for us. Sin is like a plant spreading it’s seeds and you’ll most likely teach your children to hate you, if you seclude them.
I also think it’s our Christian duty to mingle with atheists or people of other religions, so they can learn why they are wrong. Children is a great way of doing that.

Reactions: Friends of Jesus

McFearless

Nov 16, 2021
Denmark(Copenhagen)
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
I plan to homeschool when I have children. But I believe it's fine if parents prayerfully decide to choose public school.

We can't avoid our children's exposure to worldly ideas forever. We must, however, equip them to handle it well.

Why would you homeschool?
To me it seems that parents who homeschool are really just interested in mind controlling their children. I went to public school, I wouldn’t mind my children learning about evolution or the Big Bang, I wouldn’t mind my children learning about rainbow families or LGBT rights/human rights. I wouldn’t mind my children learning about Islam or the German nazi regime. Pray for your children instead. Your children will think you are a hypocrite if you bash communism while trying to become the karma police. Even the most hardcore anti-evolutionists believe in micro evolution, they can’t explain it away it’s proven. They just don’t believe (the evolutionists leap of faith) that we came from another species which isn’t proven at all.
Don’t be afraid and don’t make your children socially handicapped.

My parents are wealthy but still send me in public school, they don’t believe in evolution or Big Bang theory, but they will send me there. I know Danish public school is better than most American private schools, so they might have thought that I was privileged to have the chance being Danish.
Nobody wants well behaved children, they are boring and they never question the status quo, if you want your children to master critical thinking, let them play with kids or people who aren’t like them and be mild when they break the rules. better to laugh than shout, if the intention wasn’t evil..

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
All my children went to public school the younger years were in a church run school. I was married to a non Christian so they always had mixed signals about things, the only issue I have with home schooling is that when children reach adulthood they have to go out into the world and function with all kinds of different people and attitudes. School is as much about social interaction and transition as it is about learning.
I have seen Christian families whose children all become Christians as adults, and yet they all went to public school, i have seen protected children become adults and go right off the rails because suddenly they could make their own choices with things.
I remember hearing a sermon once about us contaminating the world, this was in reference to Christians in our local village not wanting to go to a pub because they feared being contaminated by the world. Jesus mixed with the ordinary people, went into areas that others would not go, he influenced those areas. What about the other mums at the school gate, those friendships that would be made when our children are at school, the witness to teachers , community ect.
We seem so fearful of what will impact us and our children, but what about our impact on others. By withdrawing you are also withdrawing your witness, ever considered that side of things.
This side of things is not often spoken about , separation can be used by the enemy as well.
Rita

Last edited:
Reactions: McFearless

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP ^

No, IF the parent does NOT want their child educated in the promoted and acceptable WAYS “OF THIS WORLD” !

Teach your child to be a Light OF the World, NOT a product OF the World.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All my children went to public school the younger years were in a church run school. I was married to a non Christian so they always had mixed signals about things, the only issue I have with home schooling is that when children reach adulthood they have to go out into the world and function with all kinds of different people and attitudes. School is as much about social interaction and transition as it is about learning.
I have seen Christian families whose children all become Christians as adults, and yet they all went to public school, i have seen protected children become adults and go right off the rails because suddenly they could make their own choices with things.
I remember hearing a sermon once about us contaminating the world, this was in reference to Christians in our local village not wanting to go to a pub because they feared being contaminated by the world. Jesus mixed with the ordinary people, went into areas that others would not go, he influenced those areas. What about the other mums at the school gate, those friendships that would be made when our children are at school, the witness to teachers , community ect.
We seem so fearful of what will impact us and our children, but what about our impact on others. By withdrawing you are also withdrawing your witness, ever considered that side of things.
This side of things is not often spoken about , separation can be used by the enemy as well.
Rita
I attended a public school. Prayers, Mentioning God, Jesus Christ, the Bible were not Taboo. The school had different “clubs” kids could freely join. Scouts, Drama, Music, etc……and a group called VCY, which stood for Victorious Christian Youths!

Things in public education have drastically changed.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Trust the school, any school No ! never trust such at all regardless.

My brother in law has been a primary school Teacher all his working life and 65yo now.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would you homeschool?
To me it seems that parents who homeschool are really just interested in mind controlling their children. I went to public school, I wouldn’t mind my children learning about evolution or the Big Bang, I wouldn’t mind my children learning about rainbow families or LGBT rights/human rights. I wouldn’t mind my children learning about Islam or the German nazi regime. Pray for your children instead. Your children will think you are a hypocrite if you bash communism while trying to become the karma police. Even the most hardcore anti-evolutionists believe in micro evolution, they can’t explain it away it’s proven. They just don’t believe (the evolutionists leap of faith) that we came from another species which isn’t proven at all.
Don’t be afraid and don’t make your children socially handicapped.
I went to public school and had a decent time. I still plan to homeschool.

There is no way to control children forever no matter what type of education they receive. As they become adults, they must make their own decisions even if those decisions don't align with the values of their parents.

You're assuming I want to home school because Im afraid of exposing them to worldly ideas. That may be some parents but thats not me. I mainly am excited about the opportunity to give our children individualized education according to their interests and not destroy their natural love for learning.

Im also excited to spend time teaching useful things and not just the endless public school drudgery that kids never need as adults.

As a kid, I was exposed to a lot of ideas and much of it was secular. I am not into mind control or avoiding critical thinking as it relates to other ideas and I don't assume other home schooling parents are that way.

I don't see a way to avoid them learning about LGBTQ. That's pretty much promoted everywhere. As for learning about Islam and Darwinism, I don't feel threatened by either so have no interest in hiding either from my children.

You mentioned social handicapping. I don't see how being surrounded by peers the same age as you is the only way to be social. In the adult world, you must interact with people of different ages. The stage of trying to fit into your own age group is temporary and not reflective of how the rest of adult life is at all.

Home schools often gather and cooperate to do sports, prom, clubs, and classes together. Its not necessarily kids being stuck at home and never socializing with other kids.

Besides, the only option in most public schools is left leaning indoctrination. With homeschool, you can learn the left, the right, and beyond that because there is no political agenda to push. You can learn how to think and not just what to think. Thats what education used to be about.

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
And there are some places and situations where the state will take your kids away if you dare to oppose the woke agenda.

So, you may as well consider that you are sending your kids into hostile territory. But I fear that kids are not equipped to distrust others as much as they should.