Should I use someone’s preferred pronouns if it is not their gender?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen email signatures that state that the sender prefers to be referred to as "they". (Really!) I draw the line at supporting Multiple Personality Disorder.

We are not amused. :Broadly:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Like it or not, human have genders.
They are not assigned genders at birth.
Their genders are revealed and recorded.

No.

Matt: 6:8a
[8] Be not ye therefore like unto them:

Reactions: Ziggy

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've seen email signatures that state that the sender prefers to be referred to as "they".
I also find it strange. However, such a person (P1) does not see themself (himself, herself) as binary male or female. If I wish to communicate with P1, I would try to see things from their point of view and accept their pronoun. Otherwise, communication is impossible.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. I have had the embarrassment of calling a "sir" a "ma'am" and a "ma'am" a "sir". I think I'll just stick with "Hey, you!"

Can you imagine in these days of the pretense of normalizing fake and lies trying to date…?

• Wow
Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also find it strange. However, such a person (P1) does not see themself (himself, herself) as binary male or female. If I wish to communicate with P1, I would try to see things from their point of view and accept their pronoun. Otherwise, communication is impossible.
My objection was based on "they" being a 3rd-person-plural pronoun. However, I note that the English language allows the use "they" to refer to a 3rd-person-singular person when the gender of that person is unknown or undefined, or when the speaker prefers not to indicate the gender of person being referred to. So I may have to withdraw the objection.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My objection was based on "they" being a 3rd-person-plural pronoun. However, I note that the English language allows the use "they" to refer to a 3rd-person-singular person when the gender of that person is unknown or undefined, or when the speaker prefers not to indicate the gender of person being referred to. So I may have to withdraw the objection.
In terms of the formal process of argumentation, I can assume their definition without believing it. I do it for the sake of efficient communication.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you imagine putting yourself in another person's shoes like a mature and objective human being?

Actually I am mature and am quite comfortable walking in my own shoes without feeling the need to walk in an other’s shoes, in order to speak to an other human as a human.

There are people who have surgically changed their appearance to look like an animal, a Cat for example. I do not care their gender, nor would I speak to them in….meows, growls, or roars…to show my approval or advocation of their nonsense.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In terms of the formal process of argumentation, I can assume their definition without believing it. I do it for the sake of efficient communication.
I represent my company on several industry standards committees, and when we write a spec, we spend considerable time up front defining key terms in order to make communication more efficient. If each person has their own idiosyncratic "spec" of key words that have to be defined at each interaction, that adds additional complexity which makes communication more inefficient, not more efficient.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Actually I am mature and am quite comfortable walking in my own shoes without feeling the need to walk in an other’s shoes, in order to speak to an other human as a human.

There are people who have surgically changed their appearance to look like an animal, a Cat for example. I do not care their gender, nor would I speak to them in….meows, growls, or roars…to show my approval or advocation of their nonsense.
Can you imagine putting yourself in another person's shoes like a mature and objective human being?

This is the 2nd time I have asked. Please focus on my question instead of sidestepping as your usual habit.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Screw everyone else" IS a very human attitude. And don't assume every human has empathy, or needs to have empathy. There are situations where empathy can be counter-productive.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I represent my company on several industry standards committees, and when we write a spec, we spend considerable time up front defining key terms in order to make communication more efficient. If each person has their own idiosyncratic "spec" of key words that have to be defined at each interaction, that adds additional complexity which makes communication more inefficient, not more efficient.
Right, it is easier to communicate when all parties already have identical definitions. Nevertheless, you need agreed definitions for different parties to communicate. Otherwise, miscommunication ensues.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, it is easier to communicate when all parties already have identical definitions. Nevertheless, you need agreed definitions for different parties to communicate. Otherwise, miscommunication ensues.
That is true, and part of the problem is that we're at a point in history where certainly commonly accepted definitions are no longer valid. Hence, miscommunication is inevitable.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Screw everyone else" IS a very human attitude. And don't assume every human has empathy, or needs to have empathy. There are situations where empathy can be counter-productive.
Right. I am just a little surprised that an openly unempathetic person like Taken could be a staff member of this Christian platform.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is true, and part of the problem is that we're at a point in history where certainly commonly accepted definitions are no longer valid. Hence, miscommunication is inevitable.
Right. I think it is a sign of the time. It may indicate the decline of the Western civilization, which has ruled the world for the last centuries.