Should I use someone’s preferred pronouns if it is not their gender?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Sure, I don't mind using their preferred pronouns.

Firstly, from the point of view of an axiomatic approach to argumentation, the debaters need to have agreed definitions. When I talk to them, I don't mind assuming their definitions for the sake of argumentation. To me, this is not about linguistic lexical definitions but about choosing a definition. I can assume their choice without believing it. Even with their definitions, I can still show them that Jesus has died for all their sins.

Secondly, for the sake of effective communication, when I engage in a conversation with someone, we need to have an agreed definition. Otherwise, we would miscommunicate, talk past each other, and make things worse.

Thirdly, from the point of view of emotion, I can empathize with them by assuming their definitions. I can understand their situation better this way.

Finally, I thank the tolerant Canadians when they talk to me, and I often misuse "he" for "she" and vice versa. Also, I often drop the plural "s" at the end of a noun. In Cantonese, "he" and "she" have the same pronunciation, with no singular or plural nouns. It's all the same.

See also How to interact with LGBTQ+

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GracePeace

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope,
Waste of time.
I may speak English but their definitions are so off the common usage there's not enough common ground to hold a conversation....it only appears that they are speaking English....they are not.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My deceased husbands brother is trans gender. He has changed all of his legal papers to her new name.
If he was to call me on the phone I would call them by their preferred name.
When his mother used to call her, him. He would get irate and leave her alone for a week or more.
She was blind and had no transportation. But that didn't seem to bother his pride.
Whether I call him a him or him a her, it still doesn't change his/her character. They still selfish and ignorant in my view either way.

But I never get a call so it doesn't matter anyways.

I didn't grow up in the culture of calling people sir or ma'am so that spares me from a lot of misgendering.
I just say, Hey you. That seems to work for everybody.

Hugs

Reactions: Wrangler

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sure, I'd use their preferred pronouns. When I talk to them, I don't mind assuming their definitions for the sake of communication.

Moreover, I thank the tolerant Canadians when they talk to me, and I often misuse "he" for "she" and vice versa. Also, I often drop the plural "s" at the end of a noun. In Cantonese, "he" and "she" have the same pronunciation, and there are no singular or plural nouns. It's all the same :)

It is most common not not to be obligated to do so unless under their authority.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess it's enough to not refer to them in the third person when you're in front of them.

If you talk TO THEM, you will only have to use second person pronouns and not the third person which seems to be problematic from their point of view.

If you talk ABOUT THEM use the proper pronoun, but try them not to listen to avoid conflicts ... it's not up to them how you speak your language. It is about the grammar of the language , not what anyone likes or dislikes.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you talk ABOUT THEM use the proper pronoun, but try them not to listen to avoid conflicts ... it's not up to them how you speak your language. It is about the grammar of the language , not what anyone likes or dislikes.
To me, this is not about grammar but about definitions. When I engage in a conversation with someone, we need to have an agreed definition, without which we would miscommunicate and make things worse.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me, this is not about grammar but about definitions. When I engage in a conversation with someone, we need to have an agreed definition, without which we would miscommunicate and make things worse.
I don't have to AGREE with people with an incorrect point of view. I am not obligated. (Matt. 10:32-39)

Reactions: amigo de christo

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny thing. I don’t use pronouns when talking to a person..

That is the level of control they seek! They want to dictate what you say about them, not merely to them.

This is couched in terms that you are not being respectful.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sure, I'd use their preferred pronouns. When I talk to them, I don't mind assuming their definitions for the sake of communication.

Moreover, I thank the tolerant Canadians when they talk to me, and I often misuse "he" for "she" and vice versa. Also, I often drop the plural "s" at the end of a noun. In Cantonese, "he" and "she" have the same pronunciation, and there are no singular or plural nouns. It's all the same :)

I do not thnk that you should use their pronouns because on some level, it is coming into agreement with them and scripturesays those who are not with me are against me. So I wouldn't take the chance.

Riddle!!

/How many legs does a cow have?

Four, right?

Suppose we call the cow's tail a leg. Now how many legs does the cow have?

(Five?)

No! Simply calling a cows tail a leg does not make it so!
(Abraham Lincoln)/

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know what choosing a definition means? Are you familiar with the process of formal argumentation? See A Disciplined Probabilistic Approach to Biblical Hermeneutics

That's just games man. It's either a He or a She. No game that they want to play will change their gender. And I dont play games with trans people.

I understand that some might want to play the game, the cow has 5 legs, others may want to play the floor is Lava. Getting drawn in to lengthy explanations of how they came to their conclusions about definitions...is, playing the game.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a woman.
I was born with female genetilia and a womb to bare children. This is the definition of a woman.

All my life I've worn jeans and a t-shirt and sneekers. I've moved furniture, been a machine operator, and a truck driver.
I've married 2 men and had one child.

I've always considered myself a tom-boy. I don't like dresses, skirts, shoes, makeup or jewelry.

That doesn't mean I want a male phalis attached between my legs.

I JUST DON'T GET IT.

What difference does the costume make?

And what difference if I'm refered to as he or she or they or them?
It's the conversation that matters, the topic discussed.

But when people make it about themselves and how they prefer to be gendered for the sake of a conversation.
I just don't understand.

I wore boy clothes but they all knew I was a girl. I get called sir sometimes when I go the store because I like to wear hats.
And I roll my hair under them so you don't know the length.
I used to prefer scally hats. They were my favorite. Now it's baseball caps.

That doesn't mean I think I'm a man.

I am the only one in my household, therefore I am the head of this sole family unit. That doesn't make me a man.

What is the difference in the gender of a person. You have masculine and feminine.
I consider myself a moderate blend of both. Does that make me non-binary?

Oh my.. I really don't have the answers. I believe whatever ails these people is beyond my understanding and God himself will have to sort it out.

Hugs

Reactions: DuckieLady

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would probably just avoid pronouns referring to them. I don't want to be a part of all this craziness. I don't want to ruin their day or anything but I'm also not going to have people force me to change how I speak my language and change my understanding of what a man and a woman is.

That being said, I've never met someone like this and there's a chance I never will, so I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Reactions: Ziggy