So what's so new about the new Covenant, and is it better, really?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's why we need to be born again.

When the Holy Spirit draws a man, He enables him to make a decision to receive Christ; and as he makes that decision, He makes him born again so that he can make that full 180-degree turn. He puts oil on the tracks, so to speak, so that you can fully turn around where without that oil, it would grate and you would not be able to make the full turn.

Many have no room in their human reasoning for the supernatural power of God to recreate our carnal nature into a brand new nature completely separate from the old nature.

It comes from a human reasoning that this cannot happen while in our bodies.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The law of liberty is the law that includes "Do not commit adultery" and "Do not kill." James 1:11-12.

In context we have a verse that is easily comparable to Galatians 3:10 (James 2:10); which tells us that we are cursed if we do not live according to every thing that is written in the book of the law to do it. That applies to those who are under the law.

But the point being that the law of liberty includes the ten commandments; and by extension the 613 commandments that were added by Moses onto the ten.

Also, that all 613 commandments apply should be evident in Matthew 5:17-20.

I realize that I have only made a loose case for the idea that all 613 commandments in the Old Testament are the law of liberty; while I believe that I have made a tighter case for the idea that the law of liberty is the ten commandments.

If you want to be great in the kingdom, you will opt for the idea that all 613 commandments are the law of liberty (Matthew 5:17-20)

I would say the same to you. You will know that you are wrong when scripture refutes your pov.

Maybe. Does it?

Jesus fulfilled the law and freed us from its bondage.

17 Bible verses about Freedom From The Law

This is a subject you need to study.

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
50 Commands? Nope.
Two Commands were given by the Resurrected Christ.....# 1 Believe. #2 Love
Please read 1John 3:23......
50 Commands of Christ - Summary List
1. Repent—Matthew 4:17, Luke 13:3
2. Let not your heart be troubled—John 14:27, John 16:33, Matthew 6:25-26, Philippians 4:6-7
3. Follow me—Matthew 4:19
4. Rejoice—Matthew 5:12, (Also 2 Corinthians 6:10, 12:10, James 1:2-4)
5. Let your light shine—Matthew 5:16
6. Honor God’s law—Matthew 5:17-19
7. Be reconciled—Matthew 5:24-25
8. Do not commit adultery—Matthew 5:27-30
9. Keep your word—Matthew 5:33-37
10. Go the second mile—Matthew 5:38-42
11. Love your enemies—Matthew 5:44
12. Be perfect—Matthew 5:48
13. Practice secret disciplines (giving, praying, fasting)—Matthew 6:1-18
14. Lay up treasures in heaven—Matthew 6:19-21
15. Seek first the kingdom of God—Matthew 6:33
16. Judge not—Matthew 7:1-2
17. Do not throw your pearls to pigs—Matthew 7:6
18. Ask, seek, and knock—Matthew 7:7-8
19. Do unto others—Matthew 7:12
20. Choose the narrow way—Matthew 7:13-14
21. Beware of false prophets—Matthew 7:15
22. Pray for those who spread the word—Matthew 9:37-38
23. Be as shrewd as serpents—Matthew 10:16. (Also Romans 16:19)
24. Fear God. Do not fear man— Matthew 10:28 (Also Luke 12:4-5)
25. Listen to God’s voice—Matthew 11:15, 13:9, 13:43, Mark 4:23, Luke 14:35, 1 Kings 19:11-13
26.Take my yoke—Matthew 11:29
27. Honor your parents—Matthew 15:4
28. Beware of false teaching—Matthew 16:6, 11-12
29. Deny yourself—Luke 9:23 (Also Matthew 10:38 and Mark 8:34)
30. Do not despise little ones—Matthew 18:10
31. Go to Christians who offend you—Matthew 8:15 (Also Galatians 6:1)
32. Forgive offenders—Matthew 18:21-22 (Also Proverbs 19:11)
33. Beware of covetousness—Luke 12:15
34. Honor marriage—Matthew 19:6, 19:9
35. Lead by being a servant—Matthew 20:26-28
36. Make the church a house of prayer for all nations—Mark 11:17
37. Pray in faith—Matthew 21:21-22, John 15:7
38. Bring in the poor—Luke 14:12-14
39. Render unto Caesar—Matthew 22:19-21
40. Love the Lord—Matthew 22:37-38
41. Love your neighbor—Matthew 22:39
42. Be born again—John 3:7
43. Await my return—Matthew 24:42-44
44. Celebrate the Lord’s supper—Matthew 26:26-
45. Watch and pray—Matthew 26:41
46. Keep my commandments—John 14:15
47. Feed my sheep—John 21:15-16
48. Make and baptize disciples—Matthew 28:19
49. Teach disciples to obey—Matthew 28:20
50. Receive God’s power—Luke 24:49

50 Commands of Jesus - Practical Bible study - 15 lessons - What they mean today

Reactions: justbyfaith

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus fulfilled the law and freed us from its bondage.

17 Bible verses about Freedom From The Law

I believe that every one of those Bible verses is referring to the law's condemnation of the sinner.

But that they are not referring to the law as a governing factor in our lives.

For it should be clear that those who are under the New Covenant have the law written on their hearts and in their minds (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10; Romans 5:5).

It is not that we obtain this righteousness by attempting to obey a set of do's and don'ts.

We obtain it apart from the law and yet it is a righteousness that is attested to by the law and the prophets that it is righteousness indeed (Romans 3:21).

We receive the Holy Spirit through faith (Galatians 3:14) and then, as we walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit, the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4).

Because we have the Spirit, we bear the fruit of the Spirit.

And there is no law that will condemn your behaviour if your walk is according to the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).

Therefore, as you bear the fruit of the Spirit, you will become a law-abiding citizen of the kingdom of heaven.

Not because you were looking to obey a set of do's and don'ts to keep them;

But because virtue has been shed abroad in your heart and because you simply don't violate any standard of the law because of that virtue.

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that every one of those Bible verses is referring to the law's condemnation of the sinner.

But that they are not referring to the law as a governing factor in our lives.

For it should be clear that those who are under the New Covenant have the law written on their hearts and in their minds (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10; Romans 5:5).

It is not that we obtain this righteousness by attempting to obey a set of do's and don'ts.

We obtain it apart from the law and yet it is a righteousness that is attested to by the law and the prophets that it is righteousness indeed (Romans 3:21).

We receive the Holy Spirit through faith (Galatians 3:14) and then, as we walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit, the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us (Romans 8:4).

Because we have the Spirit, we bear the fruit of the Spirit.

And there is no law that will condemn your behaviour if your walk is according to the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).

Therefore, as you bear the fruit of the Spirit, you will become a law-abiding citizen of the kingdom of heaven.

Not because you were looking to obey a set of do's and don'ts to keep them;

But because virtue has been shed abroad in your heart and because of that virtue you simply don't violate any standard of the law.

This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. (Hebrews 10:16-17 KJV)

This is the NEW COVENANT God made with us, It replaces the old order. Jesus will put HIS laws into our heart and never remember our sins and iniquities against us any more. They have been BLOTTED OUT.
This is the new law and not the Mitzvot Laws.

Last edited:
Reactions: justbyfaith

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. (Hebrews 10:16-17 KJV)

This is the NEW COVENANT God made with us, It replaces the old order. Jesus will put HIS laws into our heart and never remember our sins and iniquities against us any more. They have been BLOTTED OUT.
Amen brother; no disagreement there...

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why do you say this:

Forget it, I think I misunderstood you. You always seem to be harking back to OT law, when the Christian is saved from the bondage of the law.

We are redeemed from the condemnation of the law and also from the wet paint principle;

Wet Paint Principle (Freedom)

However it is a fact that as believers we continue to be governed by the law from the inside (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10; Romans 5:5) as it is written on our heart through the love of the Lord being shed abroad in our hearts (Romans 5:5); which love is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are redeemed from the condemnation of the law and also from the wet paint principle;

Wet Paint Principle (Freedom)

However it is a fact that as believers we continue to be governed by the law from the inside (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 13:8-10; Romans 5:5) as it is written on our heart through the love of the Lord being shed abroad in our hearts (Romans 5:5); which love is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).
As long as you don't think we are bound by the 613 Mitzvot laws that are of Moses and not God.

Here are some of them

Mitzvot law
The court must not inflict punishment on Shabbat — Ex. 35:3
Not to rob openly — Lev. 19:13
Not to kill the murderer before he stands trial — Num. 35:12
Save someone being pursued even by taking the life of the pursuer — Deut. 25:12
Not to pity the pursuer — Num. 35:12
The courts must carry out the death penalty of stoning — Deut. 22:24
The courts must carry out the death penalty of burning — Lev. 20:14
The courts must carry out the death penalty of the sword — Ex. 21:20
The courts must carry out the death penalty of strangulation — Lev. 20:10
The courts must hang those stoned for blasphemy or idolatry — Deut. 21:22
Bury the executed on the day they are killed — Deut. 21:23
Not to delay burial overnight — Deut. 21:23
The court must not let the sorcerer live — Ex. 22:17
The court must not kill anybody on circumstantial evidence — Ex. 23:7
A judge must not pity the murderer or assaulter at the trial — Deut. 19:13
Destroy the seven Canaanite nations — Deut. 20:17
Not to let any of them remain alive — Deut. 20:16
For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him. (Lev 20:9 KJV)

I doubt if Jews even follow them, unless they do in Israel, but in other countries they would face criminal charges.

This is the problem. We have the I AM and the deceiver side by side.

Last edited:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to only know about the 'conviction' part.

Things are not always like they “ seem”....
The Law is an artificial way of creating what God wants to see occur naturally....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church thinks this means we don't do any works of the law for any reason. And that we're sinning if we do.

Most churches teach that Jesus died for your PAST sins and then you must keep the Law in order to “ stay” saved.....
It’s “ Jesus Saves—- But! Once you know “ that”....... you gotta make yourself Worthy by doing a good enough job of keeping the Commandments.....in the end you are Saved or Damned by your Law-Based Performance.....

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As long as you don't think we are bound by the 613 Mitzvot laws that are of Moses and not God.

Here are some of them

Mitzvot law
The court must not inflict punishment on Shabbat — Ex. 35:3
Not to rob openly — Lev. 19:13
Not to kill the murderer before he stands trial — Num. 35:12
Save someone being pursued even by taking the life of the pursuer — Deut. 25:12
Not to pity the pursuer — Num. 35:12
The courts must carry out the death penalty of stoning — Deut. 22:24
The courts must carry out the death penalty of burning — Lev. 20:14
The courts must carry out the death penalty of the sword — Ex. 21:20
The courts must carry out the death penalty of strangulation — Lev. 20:10
The courts must hang those stoned for blasphemy or idolatry — Deut. 21:22
Bury the executed on the day they are killed — Deut. 21:23
Not to delay burial overnight — Deut. 21:23
The court must not let the sorcerer live — Ex. 22:17
The court must not kill anybody on circumstantial evidence — Ex. 23:7
A judge must not pity the murderer or assaulter at the trial — Deut. 19:13
Destroy the seven Canaanite nations — Deut. 20:17
Not to let any of them remain alive — Deut. 20:16
For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him. (Lev 20:9 KJV)

I doubt if Jews even follow them, unless they do in Israel, but in other countries they would face criminal charges.

This is the problem. We have the I AM and the deceiver side by side.
All of these are to be laws in Israel and have not been done away with (see Matthew 5:17-20).

There is also the possibility that they will be the law in every land during the millennial period.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really wish people would dispense with that which Christ ended, namely Old Testament Law. Those who do not repent of their sins and turn to Christ believing are lost eternally anyway.

A very popular doctrine....it aint Biblical....show me in the KJV where it says we must
“Repent of Sins to be Saved” and I will give you $1000........
Does one Believe that Jesus died for their sins and rose from the Grave— Plus NOTHING? “THAT”, ladies and gentlemen , is how one gets Saved.....1Cor15:1-4.....

Reactions: Cooper

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most churches teach that Jesus died for your PAST sins and then you must keep the Law in order to “ stay” saved.....
It’s “ Jesus Saves—- But! Once you know “ that”....... you gotta make yourself Worthy by doing a good enough job of keeping the Commandments.....in the end you are Saved or Damned by your Law-Based Performance.....
I would say that we are forgiven of past, present, and future sins...

But that if anyone is truly born again they will not commit any willful sins in the future against the Lord.

It is not that the person who is born again would lose their salvation by committing a willful sin...

It is that the born again person no longer has it in his nature to commit a willful sin.

And therefore, if someone claims to be born again, but then commits a willful sin against the Lord, that is the perfect evidence that they have not yet been born again (if they ever will be).

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A very popular doctrine....it aint Biblical....show me in the KJV where it says we must
“Repent of Sins to be Saved” and I will give you $1000........
You have never made good on your promise...but thank you for providing a sounding board by which I can get out the true gospel of Jesus Christ...

Ezekiel preached that we must repent of sins to be saved.

Eze 33:11, Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
Eze 33:12, Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.
Eze 33:13, When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.
Eze 33:14, Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;
Eze 33:15, If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.
Eze 33:16, None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.
Eze 33:17, Yet the children of thy people say, The way of the Lord is not equal: but as for them, their way is not equal.
Eze 33:18, When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.
Eze 33:19, But if the wicked turn from his wickedness, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall live thereby.
Eze 33:20, Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. O ye house of Israel, I will judge you every one after his ways.

What I have highlighted above in blue shows forth the concept that repentance means to turn away from wickedness and do that which is lawful and right; to turn from sin.

But I know that you have escaped from having to pay up on your challenge on a technicality; because while, in essence, the meaning that we must repent of sin in order to be saved is there, the actual words that you have stated are not found in the passage.

And therefore your argument is the same as that of those who claim that the Trinity is not in the Bible because the word "Trinity" is not found therein. Those of us who know and understand that the Trinity is sound doctrine would say to that that the concept of the Trinity is found therein and the fact that the actual word is not present in holy scripture means nothing.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am mocking your false and perverted addition to the Gospel Of Grace ...

Isa 28:22, Now therefore be ye not mockers, lest your bands be made strong: for I have heard from the Lord GOD of hosts a consumption, even determined upon the whole earth.

Jer 15:17, I sat not in the assembly of the mockers, nor rejoiced; I sat alone because of thy hand: for thou hast filled me with indignation.

Jde 1:18, How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.

(yes, I did a word search in blue letter bible on the word "mockers"...and posted only the last three that came up)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am mocking your false and perverted addition to the Gospel Of Grace ...
There is nothing false or perverted about my understanding of the gospel of grace.

Because, what you are not understanding is that I am preaching the law to you as a schoolmaster to lead you to Christ.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you don't agree.

Because you define repentance differently than we do.

Thus you are introducing a cult-like mentality into the fray; for it is cults that re-define words so that the adherents of the cult are hearing something different than the average, everyday hearer when they listen to someone speaking in biblical terminology.

Satan is the one that has introduced confusion to the word “ repentance”....people reject God’s Free Gift because they think that they gotta “ quit Sinning” to become a Christian and anybody with an ounce of sense knows that that is impossible...
Words actually have meanings—— it makes no difference how the Modern World wants to define the word “ Repent”...... it comes from the Greek Word “ metanoia” and it literally means “ mind change”
If repent always means to “ turn from sins” we got a problem because NOBODY Repents in the the Bible more than God does.....19 Times, give or take......and It is “ impossible for God to Sin!”
If the Bible says to “ repent from sins”—— do it! If the Bible says “ Repent from Sins in order to be Saved “....do “ that” too!
Unfortunately for many Confused would- be Christians , you won’t find the above in Scripture, Here is what you “ WILL” find——Simply BELIEVE the Gospel Of 1Cor15:1-4 ( Jesus died for your sins and rose from the dead) and you will be Saved......
If you have “ changed your mind” from NOT believing the Gospel to a person that actually Believes it now—- you have undergone the only “ Repentance” required for Salvation.....God Bless...