• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, thanks...yes, our spirit is only eternally alive in Christ, that I understand through the Spirit...so our soul is connected to our spirit, that’s Alive in Christ?
Not so fast.

Third, Genesis 2:7 tells us that man became a living soul (KJV). The word soul in Hebrew is nephesh, meaning “an animated, breathing, conscious, and living being.” Man did not become a living soul until God breathed life into him. As a physical, animate, rational, and spiritual being, man is unique among all living things upon the earth.

So, what is the breath of God? It is the life and power of God, given to man to animate him. The Hebrew word for spirit is ruach, which means “wind, breath, air, spirit.” The life of God lives on and on; the immaterial part of man was designed to live eternally. The only question is where will we live?

And we are told in Eccl 12:7

New American Standard Bible 1995
then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.

So the spirit is given at birth when life begins.

For my own beliefs I feel....

Looking at the story of Luke 16: 22-25

Luke 16:22–25

22 “Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to aAbraham’s bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried.
23 “In aHades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and * saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 “And he cried out and said, ‘aFather Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in bthis flame.’
25 “But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that aduring your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony.

This is most recently believe to be an actual true accounting but that is not important here.

The poor man was in either Abrahams Bosom AKA Upper Sheol called Paradise. (you know... where Jesus went those 3 days)

And whether true or not it was told as an example of where people on death would go.

NOW we know that the spirit goes back to God who gave it. And from everything I have ever learned, read, or heard everyone has a spirit.... So if the spirit goes back to God who gave it and the body is left to rot....

Sheole was called a place of death. and apparently it was divided. The poor man was in Upper and it was assumed Jesus also went to Upper. (Could be an interesting study)

I submit it is our souls waiting for the judgement in Sheole.... Either regular or hopefully Upper.

For it would not be our spirits... and our bodies not yet until we get the glorified new ones.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well you arew taking the OT alone and not considering the imitations of the Hebrew language.

I Thess. 5:23:

1 Thessalonians 5:23
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Body= the physical exterior
Soul the immaterial part of man that makes man. The ability to think, rationalize and feel and understand.
Spirit- that part of man that allows him to have fellowship with god. this is what died in man on the day they ate the fruit.
The way I have come to understand creation of mankind:

1. body = the outer shell of flesh & bone (Created by God from the dust of the earth)
2. spirit = the inner self, gives life to the body, process center directing every bodily function, encompasses man's mind, heart, appetite, will and emotions, without an internal spirit the outer body is a lifeless corpse (Breathed into the body by the breath of God)
3. soul = is both outer and inner mankind, it is what the complete creation of everything with the breath of life (spirit) is called; a living soul (God gave to every living creature upon the earth that has the breath of life (spirit))
4. Holy Spirit/soul = enables mankind to continue to have life through spirit that is indwelt by the Holy Spirit sent from Christ even after our outer body becomes a corpse (God gives the Holy Spirit only to mankind, created in His likeness and image, so only humans who are born again will continue to be a living (spirit) soul in heaven)

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not so fast.

Third, Genesis 2:7 tells us that man became a living soul (KJV). The word soul in Hebrew is nephesh, meaning “an animated, breathing, conscious, and living being.” Man did not become a living soul until God breathed life into him. As a physical, animate, rational, and spiritual being, man is unique among all living things upon the earth.

So, what is the breath of God? It is the life and power of God, given to man to animate him. The Hebrew word for spirit is ruach, which means “wind, breath, air, spirit.” The life of God lives on and on; the immaterial part of man was designed to live eternally. The only question is where will we live?

And we are told in Eccl 12:7

New American Standard Bible 1995
then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.

So the spirit is given at birth when life begins.

For my own beliefs I feel....

Looking at the story of Luke 16: 22-25

Luke 16:22–25​

22 “Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to aAbraham’s bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried.
23 “In aHades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and * saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 “And he cried out and said, ‘aFather Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in bthis flame.’
25 “But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that aduring your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony.

This is most recently believe to be an actual true accounting but that is not important here.

The poor man was in either Abrahams Bosom AKA Upper Sheol called Paradise. (you know... where Jesus went those 3 days)

And whether true or not it was told as an example of where people on death would go.

NOW we know that the spirit goes back to God who gave it. And from everything I have ever learned, read, or heard everyone has a spirit.... So if the spirit goes back to God who gave it and the body is left to rot....

Sheole was called a place of death. and apparently it was divided. The poor man was in Upper and it was assumed Jesus also went to Upper. (Could be an interesting study)

I submit it is our souls waiting for the judgement in Sheole.... Either regular or hopefully Upper.

For it would not be our spirits... and our bodies not yet until we get the glorified new ones.

The question that comes to mind is how is mankind eternally saved when they are born again if we do not continue to have spiritual life in heaven after our body dies?

Mankind that has been born again of the Spirit sent from Christ HAS ETERNAL LIFE. Christ does not promise we shall have eternal life, but that we have it the moment of new birth. The life we have at that moment of new birth is spirit, not physical life. And since our spirit, through Christ Spirit in us is alive forever, it will return to God in heaven with life (spirit/soul). Because where there is life, there is a living soul.

Soul is used to define living beings, not the dead. So, when our body goes into the grave (Sheol) and shall be no more, our spirit, through the Holy Spirit ascends ALIVE to heaven as a living spirit/soul waiting for the resurrection of our bodies to immortal & incorruptible life on the new earth. When our living spirit is once again reunited with resurrected immortal & incorruptible body, then we will be fit for everlasting life with Christ on the new earth.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way I have come to understand creation of mankind:

1. body = the outer shell of flesh & bone (Created by God from the dust of the earth)
2. spirit = the inner self, gives life to the body, process center directing every bodily function, encompasses man's mind, heart, appetite, will and emotions, without an internal spirit the outer body is a lifeless corpse (Breathed into the body by the breath of God)
3. soul = is both outer and inner mankind, it is what the complete creation of everything with the breath of life (spirit) is called; a living soul (God gave to every living creature upon the earth that has the breath of life (spirit))
4. Holy Spirit/soul = enables mankind to continue to have life through spirit that is indwelt by the Holy Spirit sent from Christ even after our outer body becomes a corpse (God gives the Holy Spirit only to mankind, created in His likeness and image, so only humans who are born again will continue to be a living (spirit) soul in heaven)
But man is vastly different than the rest of living creation!

Everytihng was called in to existence by God (ex-deo creation) while Gods formed man and breahted life into man.

So our soul is vastly different than animals. It is where man thinks, emotes, chooses etc.

Bodily functions are autonomous or controlled by the soul.

A human is born with a dead spirit. Paul made that clear in Ep;hesians that unsaved man is spiritually dead.

That is why Paul called a tri-fold blessing on the Thesselonians that they would be blessed in body, soul and spirit!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question that comes to mind is how is mankind eternally saved when they are born again if we do not continue to have spiritual life in heaven after our body dies?

I have no time for this at the moment as I am on the way to the emergency room... but must comment.

We are spirits. Why do you feel you wont have a spirit life in heaven?

later.
Mankind that has been born again of the Spirit sent from Christ HAS ETERNAL LIFE. Christ does not promise we shall have eternal life, but that we have it the moment of new birth. The life we have at that moment of new birth is spirit, not physical life. And since our spirit, through Christ Spirit in us is alive forever, it will return to God in heaven with life (spirit/soul). Because where there is life, there is a living soul.

Soul is used to define living beings, not the dead. So, when our body goes into the grave (Sheol) and shall be no more, our spirit, through the Holy Spirit ascends ALIVE to heaven as a living spirit/soul waiting for the resurrection of our bodies to immortal & incorruptible life on the new earth. When our living spirit is once again reunited with resurrected immortal & incorruptible body, then we will be fit for everlasting life with Christ on the new earth.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But man is vastly different than the rest of living creation!

Everytihng was called in to existence by God (ex-deo creation) while Gods formed man and breahted life into man.

So our soul is vastly different than animals. It is where man thinks, emotes, chooses etc.

Bodily functions are autonomous or controlled by the soul.

A human is born with a dead spirit. Paul made that clear in Ep;hesians that unsaved man is spiritually dead.

That is why Paul called a tri-fold blessing on the Thesselonians that they would be blessed in body, soul and spirit!

Humans are born with a living spirit, but without the Spirit of Christ in us, we are as Paul describes "dead in trespasses and sins." That means we have no ability for eternal spiritual life through Christ. We are so to speak, natural mankind with our mind fixed upon things of the flesh and the world, with no desire to know God, Who is Spirit, and can only be known through His Spirit in us. We are not made spiritually alive again until we experience the new birth from above when the Holy Spirit takes up residence in us. It is our natural spirit that gives physical life to our mortal body, and it is the Spirit of Christ that gives life eternally to our spirit.

Genesis 2:7 (KJV) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

John 6:63 (KJV) It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing:
the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Every living, breathing creature on earth is a living soul with body plus spirit. When the body of all creatures dies, the body is no longer a living soul, but a dead corpse. But the spirit within all mankind returns to God who gave it. In life IF we are born again of His Spirit in us, then our spirit returns to God alive and is still a "living soul". But in heaven our soul has no physical body, but are as the angels of God in heaven, i.e. spiritual body of believers.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (KJV) Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

I don't believe Paul is saying mankind is tri-fold, but rather prays that abstaining from all evil of the flesh (body), heart/mind (spirit) that our whole "living soul" will be wholly sanctified and preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord. Prayers such as these are given because Paul understands that the Church on earth shall suffer great persecution and temptations from without and within as Christians live out our lives in this fallen world surrounded by the desires of our mind, flesh, the world, and demonic spirits. Paul calls them "grievous wolves" that shall not spare the flock.

Acts 20:27-30 (KJV) For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God. Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

1 Thessalonians 5:22-23 (KJV) Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

One last point. Our bodily functions come from the breath of life which is spirit, and together with our body the two are called a living soul.
The breath - neshamah - a puff, i.e. wind, angry or vital breath, divine inspiration, intellect. or (concretely) an animal:—blast, (that) breath(-eth), inspiration, soul, spirit.
Of life - חַי chay - alive; hence, raw (flesh); fresh (plant, water, year), strong; also (as noun, especially in the feminine singular and masculine plural) life (or living thing), whether literally or figuratively:— age, alive, appetite, (wild) beast, company, congregation, life(-time), live(-ly), living (creature, thing), maintenance, merry, multitude, (be) old, quick, raw, running, springing, troop.

A living - חַי chay
Soul - nephesh - properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, × dead(-ly), desire, × (dis-) contented, × fish, ghost, greedy, he, heart(-y), (hath, × jeopardy of) life (× in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-) self, them (your) -selves, slay, soul, tablet, they, thing, (× she) will, × would have it.

Death will take the spirit from the living soul (body of flesh), but death of our body does not make an end to our living human spiritual soul that has the Holy Spirit within. Because the spirit in mankind that has been born again of the Spirit of Christ has eternal life, so in physical death our spirit alive is still called a living soul in heaven but without physical form/body. That's why John writes in the Revelation that he sees souls alive in heaven after physical death.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have no time for this at the moment as I am on the way to the emergency room... but must comment.

later.
Hope you are ok, Rella...xx

Reactions: rwb

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

later.

I hope your trip to the emergency room resulted in complete recovery from whatever reason you felt it necessary to go there!

Yes, we are spirits that in this life are trapped in bodies destined to death. I have no doubt that our spirit having eternal life through Christ's Spirit in us shall live on in heaven after physical death. I join Paul is saying that I too long to put off this body of death so I can be with the Lord in heaven.

Reactions: Ritajanice

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nonsense.

Listen, if your mind is your spirit, then it would be your mind that is born again.
And you are to renew your mind, not your spirit.

We are born again Spiritually, not born again MENTALLY.

Notice that Adam was spiritually separated from God...>not mentally.

Notice that when Adam was created, God breathed the SPIRIT into Adam, not the mind.

I have no idea what commentary set you use, but its HORRIBLE Theology, and i hope you realize this one day... @1stCenturyLady ... as its all you ever teach.

And dont tell me that you found all those verses and put then together.
You did not.
Dont even try that false statement.
We are commanded to do this
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength."
Mark 12:30

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'
Luke 10:27

God is declaring we have control over our hearts, soul, strength and mind. He does not mention our spirit.
In mythology the spirit of someone is the living being that indwells the physical.
But in scripture our bodies are connected with who we are, so we are not pure spiritual beings.

In some uses of the word spirit it is our enthusiasm for things.
" I remembered you, O God, and I groaned; I mused, and my spirit grew faint. "
Psalm 77:3

May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Thess 5:23

Gnostics believe we are spiritual beings in sinful human bodies and our spirits are our real eternal self.
This is a heresy and not supported in the scriptures above.

Jesus came as a man who had to learn Gods word and ways, though he was God, He was limited by our frailty and understanding. In a real sense He was blameless and perfect, while being flesh and blood. Equally when He was resurrected He had a body, and was not a spiritual being but still a resurrected human. The point of Jesus coming was to show our humanity did not define our fall but our separation from the Father and not knowing how to love as He loved.

When you understand how Jesus could give salvation to the thief on the cross you will understand who Jesus is.
He offers forgiveness and love to those willing to believe and follow, whether that is for merely minutes or a lifetime of service.
God bless you

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hope you are ok, Rella...xx
I hope your trip to the emergency room resulted in complete recovery from whatever reason you felt it necessary to go there!

Yes, we are spirits that in this life are trapped in bodies destined to death. I have no doubt that our spirit having eternal life through Christ's Spirit in us shall live on in heaven after physical death. I join Paul is saying that I too long to put off this body of death so I can be with the Lord in heaven.
Thank you both,

Actually all is well from the emergency room.

Last Friday my mom fell on the front porch and hit the top of her forehead. Wed. night as I was putting her eyedrops in at bedtime I saw she had a lot of bright red blood showing in her left eye. We had been watching
a bruise all week move from her forhead to giving her a whopper of a black eye.

So Yesterday I called her eye doctor, who was not in and would not be until Monday... but no time to see her even then. PCP not in so went to Med Express and saw a nurse practitioner who said she had to go to the emergency room for a CT scan.

L:eek:ng story short and hours later the doc at the emergency room came in and said nope... no testing it had been long enough and if there were going to be problems they would have shown up by now or she would be dead.... YES, he did say that.

Later,

Reactions: rwb and Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you both,

Last Friday my mom fell on the front porch and hit the top of her forehead. Wed. night as I was putting her eyedrops in at bedtime I saw she had a lot of bright red blood showing in her left eye. We had been watching

So Yesterday I called her eye doctor, who was not in and would not be until Monday... but no time to see her even then. PCP not in so went to Med Express and saw a nurse practitioner who said she had to go to the emergency room for a CT scan.

L:eek:ng story short and hours later the doc at the emergency room came in and said nope... no testing it had been long enough and if there were going to be problems they would have shown up by now or she would be dead.... YES, he did say that.

Later,
I’m glad she is ok...is she on blood thinner by any chance?..they can cause blood shot eyes..

Praise God that she’s ok and that she has a good son looking after her,xx

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you both,

Later,

Glad to hear! It's always so nerve wracking to go to the ER. Doc apparently doesn't know that man's death comes according to God's timing, and that is the reason she is still with you today! Thank You Lord

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It IS our Mind that is born again. 1 Corinthains 2:16. We have the mind of Christ. And our soul is born again also, where the laws of God are written. The two make up our nature and is why the unsaved still have a sin nature. We don't. The only thing that doesn't die now is our body. The body is just like a floppy puppet that is neutral. It only does what its nature tells it to do.
Incorrect.
The soul is the mind.
Soul= mind, will, and emotions.
The mind is renewed or reprogrammed by the word of God.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don't you holster your pride and allow Scripture to explain Scripture.
You have surrounded yourself with the wrong teachers.
We need each other to properly be aligned.
But you have to have some kind of discernment and leading.
Only Jesus can not be deceived.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humans are born with a living spirit, but without the Spirit of Christ in us, we are as Paul describes "dead in trespasses and sins." That means we have no ability for eternal spiritual life through Christ. We are so to speak, natural mankind with our mind fixed upon things of the flesh and the world, with no desire to know God, Who is Spirit, and can only be known through His Spirit in us. We are not made spiritually alive again until we experience the new birth from above when the Holy Spirit takes up residence in us. It is our natural spirit that gives physical life to our mortal body, and it is the Spirit of Christ that gives life eternally to our spirit.

Genesis 2:7 (KJV) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

John 6:63 (KJV) It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing:
the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Every living, breathing creature on earth is a living soul with body plus spirit. When the body of all creatures dies, the body is no longer a living soul, but a dead corpse. But the spirit within all mankind returns to God who gave it. In life IF we are born again of His Spirit in us, then our spirit returns to God alive and is still a "living soul". But in heaven our soul has no physical body, but are as the angels of God in heaven, i.e. spiritual body of believers.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (KJV) Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

I don't believe Paul is saying mankind is tri-fold, but rather prays that abstaining from all evil of the flesh (body), heart/mind (spirit) that our whole "living soul" will be wholly sanctified and preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord. Prayers such as these are given because Paul understands that the Church on earth shall suffer great persecution and temptations from without and within as Christians live out our lives in this fallen world surrounded by the desires of our mind, flesh, the world, and demonic spirits. Paul calls them "grievous wolves" that shall not spare the flock.

Acts 20:27-30 (KJV) For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God. Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

1 Thessalonians 5:22-23 (KJV) Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

One last point. Our bodily functions come from the breath of life which is spirit, and together with our body the two are called a living soul.
The breath - neshamah - a puff, i.e. wind, angry or vital breath, divine inspiration, intellect. or (concretely) an animal:—blast, (that) breath(-eth), inspiration, soul, spirit.
Of life - חַי chay - alive; hence, raw (flesh); fresh (plant, water, year), strong; also (as noun, especially in the feminine singular and masculine plural) life (or living thing), whether literally or figuratively:— age, alive, appetite, (wild) beast, company, congregation, life(-time), live(-ly), living (creature, thing), maintenance, merry, multitude, (be) old, quick, raw, running, springing, troop.

A living - חַי chay
Soul - nephesh - properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, × dead(-ly), desire, × (dis-) contented, × fish, ghost, greedy, he, heart(-y), (hath, × jeopardy of) life (× in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-) self, them (your) -selves, slay, soul, tablet, they, thing, (× she) will, × would have it.

Death will take the spirit from the living soul (body of flesh), but death of our body does not make an end to our living human spiritual soul that has the Holy Spirit within. Because the spirit in mankind that has been born again of the Spirit of Christ has eternal life, so in physical death our spirit alive is still called a living soul in heaven but without physical form/body. That's why John writes in the Revelation that he sees souls alive in heaven after physical death.
Well if that is what you wish to think, that is you rprivilege. Scripture says different.

Man is body (soma)
spirit(pneuma)'
soul (psuche)

You have to use all of scripture to define things.

OT spirit and soul can and are used interchangeably. And if spirit is nothing more than breath, then the Holy Spirit is nothing more than Gods breath.

Animals became alive at the spoken word of God. Man became alive because God breathed into HIm.

all creatures have a body (soma)
all creatures have a soul (psuche) where whatever levcel of thinking and feeling takes place)
but only man has a spirit which died the day Adam fell and is made alive at our rebirth. It is mans spirit that is made alive and not a relationship restored. We never had a relationship with god until He birthed us from above.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if that is what you wish to think, that is you rprivilege. Scripture says different.

Man is body (soma)
spirit(pneuma)'
soul (psuche)

You have to use all of scripture to define things.

OT spirit and soul can and are used interchangeably. And if spirit is nothing more than breath, then the Holy Spirit is nothing more than Gods breath.

Animals became alive at the spoken word of God. Man became alive because God breathed into HIm.

all creatures have a body (soma)
all creatures have a soul (psuche) where whatever levcel of thinking and feeling takes place)
but only man has a spirit which died the day Adam fell and is made alive at our rebirth. It is mans spirit that is made alive and not a relationship restored. We never had a relationship with god until He birthed us from above.

There is only one way the spirit and soul can be separated. That's by physically dying in unbelief.

Spirit is more than mere breath. It is the breath of life, without spirit and Spirit there is neither physical or spiritual life! Without life the body remains a corpse. When mankind physically IN Christ, having the Holy Spirit in them dies, then the spirit (breath of life) in them returns to God ALIVE through the Holy Spirit. Continuing to have the breath of life (spirit) in heaven we are a spiritual body of believers called "souls." Because soul is always connected with having life. It is only in death without the Holy Spirit that the spirit (breath of life) unbelievers possess returns to God without the life giving Spirit of God. The Bible speaks of them as being in darkness and silence because they no longer are alive.

All living creatures have a body, with the breath of life (spirit) and while physically alive are living souls. Because without the spirit (breath of life) the body does not have life, and if the body does not have life it is not a "living soul." Soul is always connected to life, or the living and without life a corpse. Mankind alone may have the Holy Spirit with a natural breath of life (spirit) when they are born again. The natural spirit mankind has gives them physical life, the Holy Spirit in them gives them spiritual life through Christ.

Hebrew soul is defined - nephesh - ; properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):—any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, × dead(-ly), desire, × (dis-) contented, × fish, ghost, greedy, he, heart(-y), (hath, × jeopardy of) life (× in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-) self, them (your) -selves, slay, soul, tablet, they, thing, (× she) will, × would have it.

Greek soul is defined - psychḗ - breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.

In both Hebrew and Greek soul is associated with being alive! A living soul is a breathing creature with appetite, desire, greed, lust, with a mind, mortality, a person, self, breath of life through spirit, us as in every living breathing creature on the earth is a living soul, having a breath of life through spirit in us. As long as the creatures upon the earth have physical life they are called "living souls."

By defining the breath of life (spirit) and soul we see how where there is life there is a living soul. Both spirit (breath of life) and soul are necessary for physical life. Without both there is not life. One (spirit) gives the breath of life to the physical body, together body with spirit became "living souls" with every attribute that comes with physical life.

You can understand how 'soul' always connects to life throughout Scripture. Many times 'soul' is used in the place of physical life.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is only one way the spirit and soul can be separated. That's by physically dying in unbelief.

Spirit is more than mere breath. It is the breath of life, without spirit and Spirit there is neither physical or spiritual life! Without life the body remains a corpse. When mankind physically IN Christ, having the Holy Spirit in them dies, then the spirit (breath of life) in them returns to God ALIVE through the Holy Spirit. Continuing to have the breath of life (spirit) in heaven we are a spiritual body of believers called "souls." Because soul is always connected with having life. It is only in death without the Holy Spirit that the spirit (breath of life) unbelievers possess returns to God without the life giving Spirit of God. The Bible speaks of them as being in darkness and silence because they no longer are alive.

All living creatures have a body, with the breath of life (spirit) and while physically alive are living souls. Because without the spirit (breath of life) the body does not have life, and if the body does not have life it is not a "living soul." Soul is always connected to life, or the living and without life a corpse. Mankind alone may have the Holy Spirit with a natural breath of life (spirit) when they are born again. The natural spirit mankind has gives them physical life, the Holy Spirit in them gives them spiritual life through Christ.

Hebrew soul is defined - nephesh - ; properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):—any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, × dead(-ly), desire, × (dis-) contented, × fish, ghost, greedy, he, heart(-y), (hath, × jeopardy of) life (× in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-) self, them (your) -selves, slay, soul, tablet, they, thing, (× she) will, × would have it.

Greek soul is defined - psychḗ - breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.

In both Hebrew and Greek soul is associated with being alive! A living soul is a breathing creature with appetite, desire, greed, lust, with a mind, mortality, a person, self, breath of life through spirit, us as in every living breathing creature on the earth is a living soul, having a breath of life through spirit in us. As long as the creatures upon the earth have physical life they are called "living souls."

By defining the breath of life (spirit) and soul we see how where there is life there is a living soul. Both spirit (breath of life) and soul are necessary for physical life. Without both there is not life. One (spirit) gives the breath of life to the physical body, together body with spirit became "living souls" with every attribute that comes with physical life.

You can understand how 'soul' always connects to life throughout Scripture. Many times 'soul' is used in the place of physical life.
No
The bible teaches triune man.
Spirit
Soul
Body

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No
The bible teaches triune man.
Spirit
Soul
Body

No, it is mankind that clings to this doctrine of humankind being three part. The creation clearly tells us man was created with a body + breath of life (spirit) and the TWO together are called "a living soul." It is only when man is born again through the Spirit of Christ in them that man becomes body + breath of physical life spirit + eternal life giving Spirit = a living soul.

It's because man's natural spirit after man is born again that a struggle between our natural spirit and the Spirit of Christ in us begins. According to Paul this spiritual warfare between the spirit of man and the Spirit of Christ in us will not end until we physically die. Until man is born again of the Spirit of Christ, man's spirit remains natural, having desires of the world and our own flesh, and has no desire for Christ.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No! All creatures have a sooul in the OT concept. All creatures have a thinking process and rudimentary emotional process as well.

Only man has a spirit. God is a spirit and man also has a spirit.

Just as God is triune, saved man is trichotomous, body soul and spirit.

Ephesians 2

King James Version

2 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Before we were saved, Scripture says we were dead! It was not our bodies that were dead, nor our souls, that place where we think, feel and rationalize, but it was our spirits that were dead, which is the immaterial part of man that is able to fellowship with God