Spiritual gifts: Unconfusing them

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It begins with this.
Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. - 1 Corinthians 12:1 NIV

And ends with this.
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way. - 1 Corinthians 14:39-40

Did you cut those two chapters out of your Bible?
You appear to be misinformed about spiritual gifts and forbid speaking in tongues.
And what about these? What's your point?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what about these? What's your point?
If I understand you correctly, you claim that the spiritual gifts have ceased,
but here we have two chapters explaining how the church should use them.

1 Corinthians 12:11-12 NIV
All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I understand you correctly, you claim that the spiritual gifts have ceased,
but here we have two chapters explaining how the church should use them.

1 Corinthians 12:11-12 NIV
All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.
Yes, the church at Corinth 2000 yrs ago

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I just understand how to keep things in context and perspective
Where is the context and perspective in denying two chapters in the New Testament based on their writing date?
Especially when the whole New testament fits your "2000 yrs ago" objection. Where is the logic in that?

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is the context and perspective in denying two chapters in the New Testament based on their writing date?
Especially when the whole New testament fits your "2000 yrs ago" objection. Where is the logic in that?
I have no further comments for you as you do not understand the subject matter nor have you carefully considered or understand the scriptures. Goodbye

• Haha
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no further comments for you as you do not understand the subject matter nor have you carefully considered or understand the scriptures. Goodbye
Okay, we are done. However...
You can't make false accusations about me and walk away without a response. No need to reply.

I certainly understand the subject matter and have carefully considered, and understand, the scriptures in this matter.
Just because you have arrived at a different conclusion does not nullify my opinion and understanding of this subject.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To your last point first. Prayer is NOT one of the miraculous gifts or manifestations of the Spirit.
Did I say that it was? What I said is that since there are no miracle workers, it is the prayer of faith which heals the sick (and even raises the dead). That is exactly what James told us. He said nothing about miracle workers, but he did say something about elders. So rather than focus on the "manifestations of the Spirit" Christians should be focused on propagating the full and true Gospel in every corner of the world. That is the most desperate need in these evil times.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea what your point is by this. I totally adhere to Acts 2:38 and ad a result have been born again.

And to your other comments, if it had happened to many, why are there sick people in hospitals? Why aren't the "many" exercising the gifts by healing and performing miracles as did those in NT times? Instead, they're babbling a bunch of incoherent gibberish and telling every they have the miraculous gifts of the spirit, which they don't because they've ceased with the death of the apostles. Believe whatever nonsense you like. I'll waste no more time with you. Goodbye
How do you know you've been born again? What evidence was there?

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you know you've been born again? What evidence was there?
Being saved equates to being born again. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved Mk 16:15-16. By being obedient and following tge scriptures is how you. There is no physical evidence nor does the bible suggest there is or supposed to be.

• Haha

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being saved equates to being born again. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved Mk 16:15-16. By being obedient and following tge scriptures is how you. There is no physical evidence nor does the bible suggest there is or supposed to be.

You like to take favorite verses out of context don't you! Mark 16:16-18

16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

And yes, there are dramatic evidences.

1 Corinthians 1:4-9
4 I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, 5 that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, 6 even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you, 7 so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8 who will also confirm you to the end, that you may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Christianity and being saved is not all theology. It is experience.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You like to take favorite verses out of context don't you! Mark 16:16-18

16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

And yes, there are dramatic evidences.

1 Corinthians 1:4-9
4 I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, 5 that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, 6 even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you, 7 so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, 8 who will also confirm you to the end, that you may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

That happened 2000 years ago. It doesn't happen now. Go study, go argue with someone else about things you don't understand. Goodbye

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That happened 2000 years ago. It doesn't happen now. Go study, go argue with someone else about things you don't understand. Goodbye
So are you under a different covenant, not the New Covenant? Oh, please...

You're the one that flunked Bible 101.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right.
Bibliolators consider experience emotionalism.
Which results in zombie book worship. - LOL

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right.
Bibliolators consider experience emotionalism.
Which results in zombie book worship. - LOL

Witnessing a miracle is rare. But I've seen one. There will always be skeptical people of unbelief and ignorance of covenant law, who still believe miracles and other gifts of the Spirit started on the Day of Pentecost ceased and don’t happen in our modern society. This has been taught to them from human reasoning and worldliness during much of church history when the gifts were rare during the dark ages. They are oblivious to the law that nothing ceases during the life of a covenant. Not a jot nor a tittle passed from the Old Covenant, and not a dotting of an “i” nor a crossing of a “t” will cease during the New Covenant, which will not end until we see Christ face to face. The key words in 1 Corinthians 13 are “then,” and secondly, “in part” “9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away… For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.”

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I know you from another forum. Does my username seem familiar to you as well? (as yours does to me)
Witnessing a miracle is rare. But I've seen one.
Yes. Me too. Rare indeed.
I was used for the one I witnessed. Although, I guess there were others as well.
Remembering a cell phone healing. That was amazing.

In a meeting a bladder issue was identified as something God wanted to heal.
Someone in the congregation had a relative in another city with just such an ailment.
We prayed for the person and then a call was made to let them know we were praying.
When the call came in they were mopping up the mess of a bladder that suddenly began working. - LOL
I suppose a bit of warning would have been in order.
There will always be skeptical people of unbelief and ignorance of covenant law, who still believe miracles and other gifts of the Spirit started on the Day of Pentecost ceased and don’t happen in our modern society. This has been taught to them from human reasoning and worldliness during much of church history when the gifts were rare during the dark ages.
Indeed. Sadly the unbelief they bring is actually a HINDRANCE to healing.
Jesus was limited in his healing ability due to the unbelief in his hometown.
They are oblivious to the law that nothing ceases during the life of a covenant. Not a jot nor a tittle passed from the Old Covenant, and not a dotting of an “i” nor a crossing of a “t” will cease during the New Covenant, which will not end until we see Christ face to face.
Curious view. What is your definition of "the law"?
The key words in 1 Corinthians 13 are “then,” and secondly, “in part” “9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away… For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.”
Right.
I think they claim that the Bible (NT) is the perfect which has come.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Curious view. What is your definition of "the law"?

Jesus said... Laws are truths. Jesus said that not a jot or a tittle would pass from the law until all was fulfilled. That statement cannot change. It is a law. Because it is about dealing with a Covenant, it is a covenant law, or a truth about covenants.

The Ten Commandments was a Covenant Ex. 34:28. If we walk by the Spirit we are not under that covenant because it was for sinners. If we are no longer sinners we are not under that law, and the only way we are truly under the New Covenant.
I think they claim that the Bible (NT) is the perfect which has come.

The Bible teaches us about God, but through it we only see Him as through a dark glass. So the Bible cannot be the perfect. It is a shaded view. We will know Him as He knows us.