The 10 Commandments are FOREVER

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And how long have God's servants been speaking to you regarding the 4th Commandment and you have continued to reject their counsel? They have shown you from scripture the truth, yet you rely on your own wisdom contradicting scripture.
'God's servants' have not been able to answer my questions about why they say we have to literally keep the 4th commandment.

Reactions: mailmandan

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You love God by loving others:

"35For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in, 36I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you visited Me.’
40 ...‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’" Matthew 25:35-40

That is the love for God that matters. Remember, 'love your neighbor as yourself' is the fulfillment of the law.
If this were true, Jesus would not have stated both to love God and love your neighbor. And/or He would have stated that loving your neighbor covers His Command to love God.

You just continue right along making up your own doctrine. Jesus' own words aren't good enough for you. And you keep whittling away at the Truth of scripture.

Where your teaching stands:

It's not the TEN Commandments that were nailed to the Cross, it's just the ONE.

It's not the TWO abbreviated Commandments of Jesus that we're to adhere to, it's just the ONE.

Ok, buddy.

Not a lot of faith in God's Perfect Word there.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right or wrong, Colossians 2:16-17 is at the very least an iota of scripture. The argument doesn't just come out of thin air.
That verse is referring to any of the many Holy Days, Sabbath Feasts, etc. It plainly states 'A' Sabbath; not 'THE' Sabbath. The 7th Day Sabbath of each week is THE Sabbath. The MAIN day that God Commanded us to keep regularly; weekly. There is nothing in scripture to suggest that we are to abandon that. Just as there is nothing in scripture that implies we are to abandon the other 9 Commandments.

Again, Colossians was written by Paul. Paul was a Sabbath Keeper; a keeper of ALL 10 Commandments.
Acts 13:42
Acts 21:24
The point of this discussion about the sabbath command is it is a debt that got paid one time for all time in the work of Jesus, the same way the debt of circumcision got paid one time for all time in the work of Jesus, such that no further keeping of that command is necessary. They've already been kept. You don't have to keep a law that requires no further fulfillment.
The Sabbath is not now, and never has been, a debt of any kind. It's a Commandment. Period. Just exactly as all the other 9 are.

If those who break one Commandment are guilty of breaking them all, then all Commandments are equal.
James 2:10

The Sabbath isn't less important than any of the others. If God were to have repealed any of them, He would've repealed all of them. And we've come to an agreement that is not the case.

They're all written in the same stone. They cannot be separated.

What God joins together, nobody can take apart.
Matthew 19:6

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know you believe that the Ten Commandments ARE NOT the LAW that Paul is talking about.
But I thought I plainly said that I don't know what he's talking about. You're not mind-reading me again, are you? ;)
Barn, and @Backlit, be honest. What "law" is Paul in verse 7 referring to?
The ten commandments. What else?
There are two, not one.
Certainly, and there are also ten. But I often have people tell me that "love your neighbors" is all you need to be concerned with, and I should know better, but I wasn't sure that you weren't heading down that road. :oops::D
John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another
Here's another verse I don't understand. How is it "new?"

I know it's not a nice thing to do around here, but I freely admit that I just don't understand a lot of the Bible. So, sue me, everybody! - lol :);):cool::p:D

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'God's servants' have not been able to answer my questions about why they say we have to literally keep the 4th commandment.
Same reason we have to literally keep the other 9.

And every single one of your questions have been answered repeatedly. You just deaf-ear all our answers.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where your teaching stands:

It's not the TEN Commandments that were nailed to the Cross, it's just the ONE.

It's not the TWO abbreviated Commandments of Jesus that we're to adhere to, it's just the ONE.

Ok, buddy.
That's not my teaching, buddy.
I have noticed that you don't take the time to comprehend posts very well. I politely ask that you give me the courtesy of taking the time to know my argument. It does vary a little from the common non-Sabbatarian argument.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And every single one of your questions have been answered repeatedly. You just deaf-ear all our answers.
Actually, they haven't, but that's okay. I took the time to listen to the Sabbatarian argument, and I respect the arguments set forth, but I found the arguments lacking scriptural support, but that's okay. You do your thing, I'll do mine, and let's do what really matters and get along according to the fruit of the Spirit - the thing that actually matters. I'm not destroying any relationships over this issue. Which is by and far the greater expression of faith. The one that matters.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus keep it?
I'm sure he did. His perfect obedience to the law is the foundation of the righteousness that is legally imputed to us. Besides, he had not accomplished his work on the cross yet that fulfills God's requirement for sabbath rest for us that there could be any suggestion possible that Jesus did not have to keep it.

Reactions: mailmandan

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That verse is referring to any of the many Holy Days, Sabbath Feasts, etc. It plainly states 'A' Sabbath; not 'THE' Sabbath.
'A' sabbath suggests plurality. The very fact of which opens up the discussion of whether he meant all sabbaths, or just some of them, but clearly more than one.

The 7th Day Sabbath of each week is THE Sabbath. The MAIN day that God Commanded us to keep regularly; weekly. There is nothing in scripture to suggest that we are to abandon that. Just as there is nothing in scripture that implies we are to abandon the other 9 Commandments.
God's requirement for rest has not been abandoned. It has been fulfilled. Just as God's requirement for circumcision, for example, has not been abandoned but fulfilled... in the real and important way, of which the literal only illustrated and pointed to, and in the way that actually matters and counts. But it's okay. Continue to do what you have been doing. I respect what you believe. Just respect what I believe about the matter, please. That's a higher expression of faith than resting from work on a specific day of the week, or not. It really is. The prophets bear witness to this. Literal sabbath keeping is not as important as how we treat one another. It is not a greater commandment than 'love your neighbor as yourself'.

Reactions: Pearl

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath: the seventh day of the week observed from Friday evening to Saturday evening as a day of rest and worship by Jews

If you are Jewish then you should observe the sabbath.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath: the seventh day of the week observed from Friday evening to Saturday evening as a day of rest and worship by Jews

If you are Jewish then you should observe the sabbath.
All of the 10 Commandments were written for everybody. By chance did you read the OP?

And we also have:

"Neither with you only (the children of Israel) do I make this covenant and this oath; But with him that standeth here with us this day (strangers, those outside of the tribes of Israel) before the Lord our God, and also with him that is not here with us this day (those not present and not Israelites - ALL MANKIND): "
Deuteronomy 29:14-15

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know it's not a nice thing to do around here, but I freely admit that I just don't understand a lot of the Bible. So, sue me, everybody! - lol :);):cool::p:D

The 2nd eternal commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus is giving a new commandment that is just for His followers. You see He want's unity. He want's His brethren to be ONE with each other, as well as with Himself and His Father and Spirit. Read John 17. It is so cool!

It is like 1 John 3:23-24 is just for His followers who believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, abide in Him and He in them. The world of sinners out there are under the Ten Commandments and will die. They don't have the Spirit of life in them. Born again Christians are NOT sinners. 1 John 3:9, because Jesus has taken away their sin nature and made us "new creations."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.