The Great I AM !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
12 I Am Sayings of Jesus, not 8 as most scholars discuss. The unitarians cannot refute the truth below regarding Jesus as the Great I AM.

1. Bread

“I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall not hunger.” John 6:35
2. Light
“I am the light of the world; he who fallows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life.” John 8:12
3. Gate
“I am the gate; if anyone enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.” John 10:9
4. Good Shepherd
“I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for His sheep.” John 10:11
5. Resurrection and Life
“I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies.” John 11:25
6. Way, Truth, Life
“I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me.” John 14:6
7. True vine
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.” John 15:1
8. I Am
unless you believe I Am He you will die in your sins” John 8:24
9. I Am
Before Abraham was born I AM- John 8:58
10, I Am the Alpha and Omega the Lord God Almighty. Revelatin 1:8
11. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” Rev 22:13
12. I Am the First and the Last. Revelation 1:17-18, Revelation 2:8, Isaiah 44:6
Indeed Christ is the I Am of the OT, the same I Am in Exodus 3:13 and Isaiah 44.

Jesus is the Alpha and Omega, the Lord God Almighty !

These passages in Revelation make it clear that Jesus is God. Remember it is Jesus in the NT who is Coming back to earth that every eye will see. It was Jesus who was pierced on the cross for our sins. John is clearly once again calling Jesus God!!!!!!! The Coming and the coming in the clouds never refers to the Father in the NT but always to Jesus.

Revelation 1:7-8
7 BEHOLD, HE IS COMING WITH THE CLOUDS, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen.
8 "I Am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

We know from Revelation 1:8 that Alpha and Omega is the Almighty. So we can see that Christ is the Almighty

Revelation 1:17
17And when I saw Him, I fell at his feet as dead. And He laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I Am the first and the last:
We know from Revelation 1:17-18 that the first and the last is He that lives, was dead but is alive forevermore is Christ.

Revelation 2:8
"To the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These are the words of him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again.

Revelation 22:12-13
12 "Behold, I Am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. 13 "I Am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
We know from Revelation 22:13 that the first and the last is the Alpha and Omega.

Revelation 22:16,20
16 "I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."
20 He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I Am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
The immediate text clearly tells us that it was Jesus who was pierced and who is Coming in the clouds. This person coming in the clouds is God(Jesus-the Son of Man),

Daniel 7:13-14
And behold, with the clouds of heaven
One like a Son of Man was coming,
And He came up to the Ancient of Days
And was presented before Him.
14 "And to Him was given dominion,
Glory and a kingdom,
That all the peoples, nations and men of every language
Might serve Him.
His dominion is an everlasting dominion
Which will not pass away;
And His kingdom is one
Which will not be destroyed.

Matthew 24:30-31
30 "And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory.

Matthew 26:64
Jesus said to him, "You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN."

1 Thessalonians 4:17-18
Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Revelation 1:7-8
7 BEHOLD, HE IS COMING WITH THE CLOUDS, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen.
8 "I Am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."
So we can see that the One who comes/is coming in the NT always refers to Jesus the Son of Man and NEVER refers to the Father. Therefore we can conclude it is Jesus who is coming whom John calls God the Alpha and Omega. This is sound biblical exegesis based on the context of the passage as well as the principle established in both Testaments on the One who is Coming in/with the Clouds- The Son of Man not the Father !!!!!!

Isaiah 44:6
Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel
And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
'I am the first and I am the last,
And there is no God besides Me.

Isaiah 48:12
"Listen to Me, O Jacob, even Israel whom I called;
I am He, I am the first, I am also the last.

hope this helps !!!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
12 I Am Sayings of Jesus, not 8 as most scholars discuss. The unitarians cannot refute the truth below regarding Jesus as the Great I AM.

hope this helps !!!
No, it didn't sorry Christophony.

Just because Jesus fulfilled the name His Father gave him doesn't make him His Father. Of course, what we would expect to see in Scripture are verses which say precisely that.

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, Phil 2:9

If I believed in your doctrine, I would want to see a text to show this was always his name and that he pre-existed with that name. Have you studied the Bible and the appointing of names? For instance, John the Baptist was given a name in the same way Jesus was. John's name means "Yahweh is Gracious", this does not make John, Yahweh, and Jesus' name means "Yahweh is salvation", which again does not make Jesus actual Yahweh.

This is a massive subject one I've done a lot of work on over the years. Simply copy and pasting a bunch of text in an OP and saying there you have it wont cut it I'm afraid.

The Deity (Yahweh) was known to his servants early on in the text only by the name of Ail-Shaddai, the Strength of the Mighty Ones. The idea of Mighty Ones is where your research needs to begin. God being revealed through Mighty Ones which of course is speaking to His Holy Angels.

You will recall in your reading when the time had come to bring Israel out of Egypt, The Elohim of the Deity were sent to Moses to inform him, and other things, of a new name by which he was pleased to be known to his people.

The Deity (Yahweh) said to Moses by his Elohim (Angels), ehyeh asher ehyeh, I will be who i will be; and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel Ehyeh hath sent me unto you. The Elohim said, moreover, to Moses, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Yahweh, Elohim of your fathers, Elohim of Abraham, Elohim of Isaac, and Elohim of Jacob, hath sent me unto you.

This is my name, leolahm, for the hidden time, and this is my memorial, ledor dor, for a generation of the race.

So at the burning bush you would also understand in His name and memorial declared that God would be a person or persons, not then in existence or manifested.

He (Yahweh) announced to Moses that he was the Mighty Ones who had appeared as “three men” to Abraham, and as “a host” to Jacob; but that at a future period He would manifest himself in others, even in persons of Adam's race.

Understanding Yahweh's plan with mankind, God imposed upon himself the name of Ehyeh, “I will be.”

Of course, it carried a prophetic meaning which remained hidden until a future time. The time when it shall no longer be memorial is not yet come. It is to continue for the Olahm—for that epoch when “He who is, and who was, and who is coming, ” “shall come with the clouds, and every eye shall see him; and all the tribes of the earth shall wail before him.” Rev 1:7.

So you in quoting the "I am" do not take into consideration that a time is coming when His name will no longer be prophetic! When Revelation 16:5 & Isa. 24:23 are fulfilled...when God will dwell with mankind and all men and women will have become the "I am" in it's purest sense.

Like Jesus Christ - His Mighty Ones who do His pleasure.

Always keep firmly in mind that Jesus is the first born among the Mighty Ones of this age!

F2F

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just because Jesus fulfilled the name His Father gave him doesn't make him His Father. Of course, what we would expect to see in Scripture are verses which say precisely that.

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, Phil 2:9

If I believed in your doctrine, I would want to see a text to show this was always his name and that he pre-existed with that name. Have you studied the Bible and the appointing of names? For instance, John the Baptist was given a name in the same way Jesus was. John's name means "Yahweh is Gracious", this does not make John, Yahweh, and Jesus' name means "Yahweh is salvation", which again does not make Jesus actual Yahweh.

This is a massive subject one I've done a lot of work on over the years. Simply copy and pasting a bunch of text in an OP and saying there you have it wont cut it I'm afraid.

The Deity (Yahweh) was known to his servants early on in the text only by the name of Ail-Shaddai, the Strength of the Mighty Ones. The idea of Mighty Ones is where your research needs to begin. God being revealed through Mighty Ones which of course is speaking to His Holy Angels.

You will recall in your reading when the time had come to bring Israel out of Egypt, The Elohim of the Deity were sent to Moses to inform him, and other things, of a new name by which he was pleased to be known to his people.

The Deity (Yahweh) said to Moses by his Elohim (Angels), ehyeh asher ehyeh, I will be who i will be; and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel Ehyeh hath sent me unto you. The Elohim said, moreover, to Moses, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Yahweh, Elohim of your fathers, Elohim of Abraham, Elohim of Isaac, and Elohim of Jacob, hath sent me unto you.

This is my name, leolahm, for the hidden time, and this is my memorial, ledor dor, for a generation of the race.

So at the burning bush you would also understand in His name and memorial declared that God would be a person or persons, not then in existence or manifested.

He (Yahweh) announced to Moses that he was the Mighty Ones who had appeared as “three men” to Abraham, and as “a host” to Jacob; but that at a future period He would manifest himself in others, even in persons of Adam's race.

Understanding Yahweh's plan with mankind, God imposed upon himself the name of Ehyeh, “I will be.”

Of course, it carried a prophetic meaning which remained hidden until a future time. The time when it shall no longer be memorial is not yet come. It is to continue for the Olahm—for that epoch when “He who is, and who was, and who is coming, ” “shall come with the clouds, and every eye shall see him; and all the tribes of the earth shall wail before him.” Rev 1:7.

So you in quoting the "I am" do not take into consideration that a time is coming when His name will no longer be prophetic! When Revelation 16:5 & Isa. 24:23 are fulfilled...when God will dwell with mankind and all men and women will have become the "I am" in it's purest sense.

Always keep firmly in mind that Jesus is the first born among the Mighty Ones of this age!

F2F
At Kingdom Hall no doubt!

Reactions: Pearl

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Call it what you will for the simple minded have to label everything to get their understanding.

I call all of him God !
God is the " Great I am" as he first told the Israelites.

God walked among mankind for over 4000 yrs after man began to call upon him with Enos, Seth's descendent.

Then weary with man's unstable spirits, he came and dwelt among us for some 33 yrs in the form of a Son, born of a virgin with his Spirit.
He became the FULL PROPITIATION for our sins but not only ours but to the whole world of ALL WHO BELIEVE!

"It is finished", Jesus said !
The plan of salvation is SET . There is no other way to the kingdom but through the Son.

It was finished but wasn't over and continues today. We are told to " receive ye the Holy Ghost". God's Spirit has taken up residience with mankind until he be taken out of the way for the wrath of God.

We are NOT alone as we grow from babes into maturity. God's power and fire is among those whom BELIEVE! His Spirit has sealed our adoption by his blood and by HIS SPIRIT WE OVERCOME.....for greater is he that is within us than he that is without.

God is the " Great I Am" in whatever manifestation or form he chooses. To deny any part of him is to DENY GOD !

Reactions: Pearl

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Then weary with man's unstable spirits, he came and dwelt among us for some 33 yrs in the form of a Son, born of a virgin with his Spirit.
He became the FULL PROPITIATION for our sins but not only ours but to the whole world of ALL WHO BELIEVE!
Full propitiation was dependent upon His Son being fully man in every respect.

Heb 2:14 Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, Jesus himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil,

Out of interest can you see how it was that God destroyed the power of death in Jesus His Son on the cross? And why call sin (death's power) the devil?

What makes sin a false accuser and why?

F2F

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a student only to God @ the University of His Holy Spirit. When I am glorified, I will receive my diploma from this earth's life by the Welcome to Eternity by my Head Master and I will enter His kingdom from the right side.♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️‍‍‍‍

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am a student only to God @ the University of His Holy Spirit. When I am glorified, I will receive my diploma from this earth's life by the Welcome to Eternity of my Head Master and I will enter His kingdom from the right side.♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️‍‍‍‍
If this is true, you can answer the question of Hebrews 2:14 with confidence and rest in the sure knowledge He provides, otherwise your post is a bunch of meaningless words, though well put together.

• Haha
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this is true, you can answer the question of Hebrews 2:14 with confidence and rest in the sure knowledge He provides, otherwise your post is a bunch of meaningless words, though well put together.

I re-affirm my statement, I am God's student, my professor instructs me thru his word by his Spirit.
I am NOT taking classes from among man.

I OWE NONE HERE ANYTHING BUT TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER !

My
tuition has been paid in full, and I'm just waiting on GRADUATION DAY at his second coming.

I invite ALL to pay the cost of pride, arrogance and any other sin in repentance that any may also graduate into his heavenly kingdom.

Any essay I may post will be at God's will.

He is NOW accepting students of false institutions of any erroneous learning. He also accepts those in ignorance of cults.

Please call collect @ (7)-777-7777, you WILL receive an answer when you call HIS SERVICE of Godly Sorrow.

Thank you.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I re-affirm my statement, I am God's student, my professor instructs me thru his word by his Spirit.
I am NOT taking classes from among man.

I OWE NONE HERE ANYTHING BUT TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER !

My
tuition has been paid in full, and I'm just waiting on GRADUATION DAY at his second coming.

I invite ALL to pay the cost of pride, arrogance and any other sin in repentance that any may also graduate into his heavenly kingdom.

Any essay I may post will be at God's will.

He is NOW accepting students of false institutions of any erroneous learning. He also accepts those in ignorance of cults.

Please call collect @ (7)-777-7777, you WILL receive an answer when you call HIS SERVICE of Godly Sorrow.

Thank you.
I take that as a no...moving "right" along then.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
According to the Jewish Tanakh...there is no "Great I AM"

Exodus 3:13-15....
And Moses said to God, "Behold I come to the children of Israel, and I say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?" יגוַיֹּ֨אמֶר משֶׁ֜ה אֶל־הָֽאֱלֹהִ֗ים הִנֵּ֨ה אָֽנֹכִ֣י בָא֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ וְאָֽמַרְתִּ֣י לָהֶ֔ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י אֲבֽוֹתֵיכֶ֖ם שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם וְאָֽמְרוּ־לִ֣י מַה־שְּׁמ֔וֹ מָ֥ה אֹמַ֖ר אֲלֵהֶֽם:
14 God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'" ידוַיֹּ֤אמֶר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶל־משֶׁ֔ה אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֶֽהְיֶ֑ה וַיֹּ֗אמֶר כֹּ֤ה תֹאמַר֙ לִבְנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל אֶֽהְיֶ֖ה שְׁלָחַ֥נִי אֲלֵיכֶֽם:
15 And God said further to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'The Lord God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is how I should be mentioned in every generation." טווַיֹּ֩אמֶר֩ ע֨וֹד אֱלֹהִ֜ים אֶל־משֶׁ֗ה כֹּ֣ה תֹאמַר֘ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵל֒ יְהֹוָ֞ה אֱלֹהֵ֣י אֲבֹֽתֵיכֶ֗ם אֱלֹהֵ֨י אַבְרָהָ֜ם אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִצְחָ֛ק וֵֽאלֹהֵ֥י יַֽעֲקֹ֖ב שְׁלָחַ֣נִי אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם זֶה־שְּׁמִ֣י לְעֹלָ֔ם וְזֶ֥ה זִכְרִ֖י לְדֹ֥ר דֹּֽר:
https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/9864

If God's name never meant "I AM" but "I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE"....where does that leave all those "I am" statements? Meaningless.

John 8:58 is not Jesus claiming to be God....he is answering a question about his age and its in the past tense....."before Abraham was born, I have been" or "I was". "I AM" is present tense, which makes no sense at all. Jesus was God's son in heaven long before Abraham was born. That is what Jesus was saying.

Strongs presents "eimi" (am) as...."εἰμί eimí, i-mee'; the first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist (used only when emphatic):—am, have been, × it is I, was".....so NOT just "I AM"....but "I HAVE BEEN" or "I WAS" are also accurate translations of this verse.

The Israelites already knew who Yahweh (יְהֹוָ֞ה) was....what they didn't know is what he would "be" to them once they left Egypt....he was "the God of their forefathers" and they had been led into Egypt because of a famine, after Joseph was sent ahead of them to preserve the family line leading to the Messiah. God proved that he lived up to his name....to BE whatever He needed to BE to preserve them as his people, and to fulfill his purpose respecting them.....he took them into Egypt, and when the time was right, he led them out again......often trying his patience to the limit....but he stuck to his purpose and his covenants, even when Israel failed to uphold their part of the agreement.

Reactions: face2face

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 8:58 is not Jesus claiming to be God....he is answering a question about his age and its in the past tense....."before Abraham was born, I have been" or "I was". "I AM" is present tense, which makes no sense at all. Jesus was God's son in heaven long before Abraham was born. That is what Jesus was saying.

No that is not what Jesus is saying.

You need to understand "faith" to appreciate Christ's teaching in John 8.

As I have said many times you need to see the context and how Jesus is leading his audience to a teaching point!

This is indicated by his prior remark: "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad." (verse 56).

Jesus was in the mind of His father as a Son, though not in existence until given life by the Spirit in Mary's womb.

Now Abraham didn't know of Jesus during his life but understand through the offering of Isaac eventually a man from the line of Adam / Abraham / David would come who would also be from God.

There is an irony here which this text speaks to...a broader issue within this forum and that is faith.

You understand that to Abraham, to whom the gospel was preached as per Gal 3:8...so its not difficult for you to appreciate the word "saw"... the day of Christ was "through" the eye of faith.

The issue here and now is people dont have that eye of faith so they cannot discern the Lord's words.

So before Abraham was, I am, is a true statement if you apply faith which is precisely what Jesus was teaching in that chapter.

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Aunty Jane

Here is the context in case you didn't catch that last point.

8:31 Then Jesus said to those Judeans who had believed him, “If you continue to follow my teaching, you are really my disciples 8:32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 8:33 “We are descendants of Abraham,” they replied

Their national pride was offended at the suggestion of bondage!

Their tradition said: “As children of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, not even Solomon’s feast is too good for them” “All Israel are the children of kings” “Never In Bondage!!!”

But they had overlooked the meanest bondage of all, that was sin!

Hence,

8:34 Jesus answered them, “I tell you the solemn truth, everyone who practices sin is a slave of sin.

So it was sin which caused them to not see, or hear their Messiah, nor could they discern how Abraham could see Christs day and be glad! And as for Jesus being in the mind of the Father - forget it!!!

F2F

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
12 I Am Sayings of Jesus, not 8 as most scholars discuss.
Actually there are a few more. The KJB translators did us a great disservice by (a) failing to capitalize "I AM" in the Gospel of John (as they did in Exodus 3), and (b) adding "he" in italics gratuitously to dilute the impact of each time Christ identified Himself as "I AM" (meaning that He is God). In the Greek Received Text "Ἐγώ εἰμι" = I AM.

I AM THE MESSIAH/CHRIST
λέγει αὐτῇ ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ λαλῶν σοι (John 4:26)

I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE (repeated twice)
εἶπεν δὲ αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ἄρτος τῆς ζωῆς· ὁ ἐρχόμενος πρός μὲ, οὐ μὴ πεινάσῃ καὶ ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ οὐ μὴ διψήσῃ πώποτε... εγω ειμι ο αρτος της ζωης
(John 6:35, 48)

I AM THE LIVING BREAD

ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ἄρτος ὁ ζῶν ὁ ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καταβάς· ἐάν τις φάγῃ ἐκ τούτου τοῦ ἄρτου ζήσεται εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα καὶ ὁ ἄρτος δὲ ὃν ἐγὼ δώσω ἡ σάρξ μού ἐστιν ἣν ἐγώ δώσω, ὑπὲρ τῆς τοῦ κόσμου ζωῆς (John 6:51)

I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD
Πάλιν οὖν ὁ Ἰησοῦς αὐτοῖς ἐλάλησεν λέγων, Ἐγώ εἰμι τὸ φῶς τοῦ κόσμου· ὁ ἀκολουθῶν ἐμοὶ οὐ μὴ περιπατήσει ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ ἀλλ' ἕξει τὸ φῶς τῆς ζωῆς (John 8:12 see also John 9:5)

IF YE BELIEVE NOT THAT I AM YE SHALL DIE IN YOUR SINS
εἶπον οὖν ὑμῖν ὅτι ἀποθανεῖσθε ἐν ταῖς ἁμαρτίαις ὑμῶν· ἐὰν γὰρ μὴ πιστεύσητε ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι ἀποθανεῖσθε ἐν ταῖς ἁμαρτίαις ὑμῶν (John 8:24)

BEFORE ABRAHAM WAS I AM
ειπεν αυτοις ο ιησους αμην αμην λεγω υμιν πριν αβρααμ γενεσθαι εγω ειμι (John 8:58)

I AM THE DOOR OF THE SHEEP
Εἶπεν οὖν πάλιν αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ θύρα τῶν προβάτων... ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ θύρα· δι' ἐμοῦ ἐάν τις εἰσέλθῃ σωθήσεται καὶ εἰσελεύσεται καὶ ἐξελεύσεται καὶ νομὴν εὑρήσει (John 10:7,9)

I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD (repeated twice)
Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ποιμὴν ὁ καλός· ὁ ποιμὴν ὁ καλὸς τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ τίθησιν ὑπὲρ τῶν προβάτων·... Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ποιμὴν ὁ καλός καὶ γινώσκω τὰ ἐμὰ καὶ γινώσκομαι ὑπὸ τῶν ἐμῶν (John 10:11,14)

I AM THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE
εἶπεν αὐτῇ ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ἀνάστασις καὶ ἡ ζωή· ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ κἂν ἀποθάνῃ ζήσεται (John 11:25)

CHRIST'S FOREKNOWLEDGE PROVES THAT HE IS I AM
απ αρτι λεγω υμιν προ του γενεσθαι ινα οταν γενηται πιστευσητε οτι εγω ειμι (John 13:19)

I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE
λέγει αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ὁδὸς καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ἡ ζωή· οὐδεὶς ἔρχεται πρὸς τὸν πατέρα εἰ μὴ δι' ἐμοῦ (John 14:6)

I AM THE TRUE VINE
Ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ἄμπελος ἡ ἀληθινή καὶ ὁ πατήρ μου ὁ γεωργός ἐστιν (John 15:1,5)

JESUS OF NAZARETH IS I AM (REPEATED TWICE)
ἀπεκρίθησαν αὐτῷ Ἰησοῦν τὸν Ναζωραῖον λέγει αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς, Ἐγώ εἰμι. εἱστήκει δὲ καὶ Ἰούδας ὁ παραδιδοὺς αὐτὸν μετ' αὐτῶν... ἀπεκρίθη ὁ Ἰησοῦς Εἶπον ὑμῖν ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι· εἰ οὖν ἐμὲ ζητεῖτε ἄφετε τούτους ὑπάγειν·
(John 18:5,8)

Last edited:

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

F2F
Matt 28:18
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,( baptizing them in the NAME of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

not names but name.....

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually there are a few more. The KJB translators did us a great disservice by (a) failing to capitalize "I AM" in the Gospel of John (as they did in Exodus 3), and (b) adding "he" in italics gratuitously to dilute the impact of each time Christ identified Himself as "I AM" (meaning that He is God). In the Greek Received Text "Ἐγώ εἰμι" = I AM.

I AM THE MESSIAH/CHRIST
λέγει αὐτῇ ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ λαλῶν σοι (John 4:26)

I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE (repeated twice)
εἶπεν δὲ αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ἄρτος τῆς ζωῆς· ὁ ἐρχόμενος πρός μὲ, οὐ μὴ πεινάσῃ καὶ ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ οὐ μὴ διψήσῃ πώποτε... εγω ειμι ο αρτος της ζωης
(John 6:35, 48)

I AM THE LIVING BREAD

ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ἄρτος ὁ ζῶν ὁ ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καταβάς· ἐάν τις φάγῃ ἐκ τούτου τοῦ ἄρτου ζήσεται εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα καὶ ὁ ἄρτος δὲ ὃν ἐγὼ δώσω ἡ σάρξ μού ἐστιν ἣν ἐγώ δώσω, ὑπὲρ τῆς τοῦ κόσμου ζωῆς (John 6:51)

I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD
Πάλιν οὖν ὁ Ἰησοῦς αὐτοῖς ἐλάλησεν λέγων, Ἐγώ εἰμι τὸ φῶς τοῦ κόσμου· ὁ ἀκολουθῶν ἐμοὶ οὐ μὴ περιπατήσει ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ ἀλλ' ἕξει τὸ φῶς τῆς ζωῆς (John 8:12 see also John 9:5)

IF YE BELIEVE NOT THAT I AM YE SHALL DIE IN YOUR SINS
εἶπον οὖν ὑμῖν ὅτι ἀποθανεῖσθε ἐν ταῖς ἁμαρτίαις ὑμῶν· ἐὰν γὰρ μὴ πιστεύσητε ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι ἀποθανεῖσθε ἐν ταῖς ἁμαρτίαις ὑμῶν (John 8:24)

BEFORE ABRAHAM WAS I AM
ειπεν αυτοις ο ιησους αμην αμην λεγω υμιν πριν αβρααμ γενεσθαι εγω ειμι (John 8:58)

I AM THE DOOR OF THE SHEEP
Εἶπεν οὖν πάλιν αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ θύρα τῶν προβάτων... ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ θύρα· δι' ἐμοῦ ἐάν τις εἰσέλθῃ σωθήσεται καὶ εἰσελεύσεται καὶ ἐξελεύσεται καὶ νομὴν εὑρήσει (John 10:7,9)

I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD (repeated twice)
Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ποιμὴν ὁ καλός· ὁ ποιμὴν ὁ καλὸς τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ τίθησιν ὑπὲρ τῶν προβάτων·... Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ποιμὴν ὁ καλός καὶ γινώσκω τὰ ἐμὰ καὶ γινώσκομαι ὑπὸ τῶν ἐμῶν (John 10:11,14)

I AM THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE
εἶπεν αὐτῇ ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ἀνάστασις καὶ ἡ ζωή· ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ κἂν ἀποθάνῃ ζήσεται (John 11:25)

CHRIST'S FOREKNOWLEDGE PROVES THAT HE IS I AM
απ αρτι λεγω υμιν προ του γενεσθαι ινα οταν γενηται πιστευσητε οτι εγω ειμι (John 13:19)

I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE
λέγει αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ὁδὸς καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ἡ ζωή· οὐδεὶς ἔρχεται πρὸς τὸν πατέρα εἰ μὴ δι' ἐμοῦ (John 14:6)

I AM THE TRUE VINE
Ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ἄμπελος ἡ ἀληθινή καὶ ὁ πατήρ μου ὁ γεωργός ἐστιν (John 15:1,5)

JESUS OF NAZARETH IS I AM (REPEATED TWICE)
ἀπεκρίθησαν αὐτῷ Ἰησοῦν τὸν Ναζωραῖον λέγει αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς, Ἐγώ εἰμι. εἱστήκει δὲ καὶ Ἰούδας ὁ παραδιδοὺς αὐτὸν μετ' αὐτῶν... ἀπεκρίθη ὁ Ἰησοῦς Εἶπον ὑμῖν ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι· εἰ οὖν ἐμὲ ζητεῖτε ἄφετε τούτους ὑπάγειν·
(John 18:5,8)
Thanks for the additions !

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May the holy spirit of God lead people to truth.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,( baptizing them in the NAME of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

not names but name.....
Maybe you need to expand on your point Nhisname.
God has many names and titles....if you want I am able to go through them with you....but the name He confines Himself to is "I will be whom I will be". It carries the idea of God manifesting Himself through people but ultimately through His beloved Son who as you know "became"His fathers name through obedience and was rewarded with a name above every name. If you believed Jesus always had that name it would not be a name given or a name rewarded.
F2F

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

not names but name.....
Can we analyse what Jesus said there...?
In verse 18, Jesus said..... “ALL authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me”.
Who gave Jesus this authority in heaven and on earth?
Why did God need to give his son this authority if he was himself God and his equal......he would have already had it.

He told his disciples to “go” and make more, “baptising them in the name of the Father AND of the Son AND of the Holy Spirit”.....where does it say that these three are all equally God?

To be baptised “in the name of” something or someone, means that we understand the role that each of these has played in our journey toward baptism. Jesus promoted the teachings of his Father and said that what he taught was not from himself, they all came from his Father. (John 7:16; John 12:49)
The Holy Spirit featured prominently in Jesus’ ministry, having been imparted to Jesus at his own baptism. (Matthew 3:16-17) He in turn imparted Holy Spirit to his disciples after his resurrection. (Acts 1:6-8)

So I do not believe that the scriptures used to promote the roles mentioned by Jesus in Matthew 28:18-21 are interpreted correctly. IMO, there is a great deal of assumption in that interpretation that is not supported in the rest of the scriptures.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God has many names and titles....if you want I am able to go through them with you....but the name He confines Himself to is "I will be whom I will be".
Those who try to dodge or deny the truth are judicially blinded. There is not a single English translation (the NWT may be the only exception) which has "I will be whom I will be". They all say "I AM THAT (or WHO) I AM" and then include "I AM". "I AM" is the personal name of Jesus and God. In Exodus 3 it is Jesus (before His incarnation) speaking to Moses as the Angel of the LORD at the burning bush. JESUS IS GOD. THE GOD OF ABRAHAM, ISAAC, AND JACOB.

New International Version
God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

New Living Translation
God replied to Moses, "I Am Who I Am. Say this to the people of Israel: I Am has sent me to you."

English Standard Version
God said to Moses, “ I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘ I AM has sent me to you.’”

Berean Study Bible
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”

New American Standard Bible
God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

King James Bible
And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
God replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you."

International Standard Version
God replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM," and then said, "Tell the Israelis: 'I AM sent me to you.'"

NET Bible
God said to Moses, "I am that I am." And he said, "You must say this to the Israelites, 'I am has sent me to you.'"

GOD'S WORD® Translation
God answered Moses, "I Am Who I Am. This is what you must say to the people of Israel: 'I Am has sent me to you.'"

Jubilee Bible 2000
And God answered unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM. And he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the sons of Israel: I AM (YHWH) has sent me unto you.

King James 2000 Bible
And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shall you say unto the children of Israel, I AM has sent me unto you.

American King James Version
And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shall you say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.

American Standard Version
And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Douay-Rheims Bible
God said to Moses: I AM WHO AM. He said: Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel: HE WHO IS, hath sent me to you.

Darby Bible Translation
And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM. And he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel: I AM hath sent me unto you.

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation
And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM: And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me to you.

World English Bible
God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM," and he said, "You shall tell the children of Israel this: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

Young's Literal Translation
And God saith unto Moses, 'I AM THAT WHICH I AM;' He saith also, 'Thus dost thou say to the sons of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.'

Status
Not open for further replies.