The Law of Moses-Ten Commandments or God's Laws

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Genesis 9:3 "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. This included the animals who before this were vegetarians also.

Leviticus 20:25-26
You shall therefore distinguish between clean animals and unclean, between unclean birds and clean, and you shall not make yourselves abominable by beast or by bird, or by any kind of living thing that creeps on the ground, which I have separated from you as unclean. 26 And you shall be holy to Me, for I the Lord am holy, and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be Mine.

Acts 10:15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.”

1 Timothy 4:4-5
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
Your selection of quotes 1stCL. You will need to reconcile them yourself.
Does God give us permission to eat every moving thing even those that make man abominable ?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your selection of quotes 1stCL. You will need to reconcile them yourself.
Does God give us permission to eat every moving thing even those that make man abominable ?

Are you God's teacher?

Just curious, can you read plain English, or just believe whatever EGW tells you, like the blind leading the blind?

3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs.

For every creature of God is good

NOT ABOMINABLE.

You might want to stop and become a Berean and search the scriptures to find out whether the things you are being taught are true. Acts 17:11

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think in this case defilement was about unacceptability whereas the food laws were about health.....also not to be confused

Don't make statements you can't back up with scripture. Show us where the food laws were about health, and not spiritual.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you God's teacher?

Just curious, can you read plain English, or just believe whatever EGW tells you, like the blind leading the blind?

3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs.

For every creature of God is good

NOT ABOMINABLE.

You might want to stop and become a Berean and search the scriptures to find out whether the things you are being taught are true. Acts 17:11
Please reread the texts you have quoted

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please reread the texts you have quoted

I can understand English.

Acts 10:15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.

Stop calling pork and shellfish abominable. God overrules Ellen G. White. Do you not know we are no longer under the old covenant, but under the new covenant?

Last edited:
D

Dave L

Genesis 26:4-5
4- And I will make your descendant's multiply as the star's of Heaven; I will give to your Descendant's all these Lands, and in your seed all the nation's of the earth shall be blessed;
5- BECAUSE Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My Commandment's, My Statutes, and My Law's!
Could the Commandment's that Abraham kept be the 10 +??
Could God have had no reason to put them in stone until, He brought the Nation of Israel out of Egypt, when there was more than a one on one relationship with men, the giving of the Torah was for the Nation, thus them being ruled by a order of law's!
The Two Great Commandments are written in the hearts of believers like Abraham. The Ten Commandments were for unbelievers who wanted to steal and murder.

Reactions: amadeus
D

Dave L

I am having a bit of difficulty with understanding the difference....and the different posts here seem to contradict what one is saying over another....or I am just plain stupid and can't see the trees through the forest! lol.
Here's how it works. Everyone has the Two Great Commandments (love for God and people) written in their heart. But they only condemn people. Everyone knows how they want to be treated but nobody treats others this way.

In the new birth (circumcision of the heart) we become aware of this law and through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit we can live in harmony with it. Loving enemies as ourselves, etc.

God developed the Ten Commandments from this law making unbelievers act like they loved people by not stealing or murdering etc. But they only did so under threat of death for disobedience. And God harnesses their greed by promising rewards for obedience. But these were bad people doing good things for the wrong reasons.

When God removed the unbelievers from Israel, he abolished the Ten Commandments (Old Covenant). This meant Israel was now only believers under Christ. We walk in the light of the Two Great Commandments and use the Ten only for commentary and instruction.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here's how it works. Everyone has the Two Great Commandments (love for God and people) written in their heart. But they only condemn people. Everyone knows how they want to be treated but nobody treats others this way.
Looks like you are describing yourself buddy! But don't generalize with *everybody* since everybody does not do what you do.

D

Dave L

Looks like you are describing yourself buddy! But don't generalize with *everybody* since everybody does not do what you do.
When is the last time you gave all your money to the poor whom you love as your own-self?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Stop calling pork and shellfish abominable. God overrules Ellen G. White. Do you not know we are no longer under the old covenant, but under the new covenant?
There's a whole bunch of people would want all the benefits of the New Covenant but cannot grasp the fact that the Old Covenant is no longer in force. Just about every cult has this problem.

Regarding meats, Paul gave Christians very clear directives to "them which believe and know the truth":

1 TIMOTHY 4
1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When is the last time you gave all your money to the poor whom you love as your own-self?
Since the left hand is not supposed to know what the right hand gives, your question is completely out of line. Nobody other that God knows.

Reactions: FHII
D

Dave L

Since the left hand is not supposed to know what the right hand gives, your question is completely out of line. Nobody other that God knows.
“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well that's really the key issue isn't it? And that is the issue which Christ addressed very clearly:

MARK 7
14 And when he had called all the people unto him, he said unto them,Hearken unto me every one of you, and understand:
15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man. [THERE'S YOUR ANSWER]
16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.
17 And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.
18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, itcannot defile him;
19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Anyone who disregards this passage is really saying "I do not believe Christ"!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I can understand English.

Acts 10:15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.

my friend, you obviously did not go back and read the texts you quoted earlier.

In any case, you are free to choose whatever you put into your body irrespective of wether it is healthy or not. The principle of cause and effect is operative nevertheless. I don't think there is a mystery in regards to that. The mystery is, why would man take into his system that which is less than best and puts him at a disadvantage all the while justifying it and teaching others to do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: brakelite

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
my friend, you obviously did not go back and read the texts you quoted

I understand them, and they are in the order they occurred. Let's talk about what you see as truth. Your first mistake was in saying the food laws concerning meat were given to Noah, not Moses, with no scriptural backup for what you believe. It is your turn to prove what you believe. I already have done so.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I understand them, and they are in the order they occurred. Let's talk about what you see as truth. Your first mistake was in saying the food laws concerning meat were given to Noah, not Moses, with no scriptural backup for what you believe. It is your turn to prove what you believe. I already have done so.
My dear, it seems to me it would make no difference to you irrespective of what i quoted from scripture. You have not looked at Leviticus 20:25-26 (your quote) closely but instead misinterpreted my comments. Your closed attitude on this matter is obvious and i do not care for a kaka fight about foods.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My dear, it seems to me it would make no difference to you irrespective of what i quoted from scripture. You have not looked at Leviticus 20:25-26 (your quote) closely but instead misinterpreted my comments. Your closed attitude on this matter is obvious and i do not care for a kaka fight about foods.

Closed attitude? Looks who's talking. ROFL

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With all due respect to the current discussions in this thread, I'd like to go back to the original post: I've never considered the law of God to be different from the law of Moses. There are lots of reasons for this, but I will try to be brief and so I can't cover them all in one post.

1. I have not seen any verse that clearly says, "the law of God is the 10 commandments and the law of Moses is everything else". In fact, they are either used interchangably and at times what should be called the Law of God contains laws outside the 10 Commandments (and somewhat vise versa).

2. Interestingly enough, the phrase, "Law of God" is not used that often: only 7 times in the entire KJV. Perhaps more in other versions; I don't know.

The phrase is used in Josh 24:26, Neh 8:8, 8:18 10:28, Rom 7:22, 7:25 and 8:7. None of them reference the 10 comnandments although in Neh 8 it is speaking against Israels use of idols. Furthermore, if you look at Neh 10:28-29 and the following verses, you see them (down to verse 37) you see a long list of things of "God's Law" that they did that are beyond the 10 commandments (yet it is referred to as God's law).

3. "Law of the Lord" is mentioned 21 times, ahain not specifying the 10 commandments as a whole. I would like to hilight 3 of the 21: 1 Chr 16:40, 2 Chr 31:3 and Luke 2:23-24. All these verses include laws outside the 10 commandments. In fact, Luke 2:23 contains a reference to Exo 13:12 (which is before the law was given and later incorporated into the law).
3. 2 Cor 3. Reading the whole chapter, it would be hard to argue that the law spoken of here is not the 10 comnandments, yet it is called done away with, abolished and while neither called the law of God or Moses, it is attributed to Moses (v 15). I bring this up especially since I have read some say God's law was never abolished but Moses' law was.

The fact that its attributed to Moses is not a single incident. A few of the verses I've already given also attrubute "God's Law" to Moses.

5. This leads me to my final point: God didn't stop giving laws to Moses after Exo 20:17. Yes, the 10 commandments are special as God did write them with his own finger (not in front of the people, by the way) but the same God gave Moses many more in chapter 21 and beyond.

3 things should be realized: 1. Moses didn't come up with them on his own - not even under inspiration - but directly from God's mouth. 2. God gave them... 3. He gave them TO Moses.

These last three sub points make a strong case for all the 613 laws being God's since he gave them as well as Moses' since they were given TO him.

In conclusion... Yes, this are just some of the reasons. To me, its not a major thing since the covenent of grace is in effect.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent post FHII.
I was just reading something that I would like to add, concerning this thread, (even i got caught up in the nonsense in two threads and was harsh) and it is this:Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repe ntance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses...

Reactions: Heart2Soul
B

brakelite

On His Own Authority. Covenants start and end with God. The Old Covenant started at Mt. Sinai and ended when the New Covenant came into effect. But nothing inside a covenant ends until the covenant ends.
So can you give me a scripture please where God authorises stealing. After all, the ten commandments ended with the new covenant according to you right?