The myth of grace-only & easy-believism shattered forever

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said that you only appeal to Scripture for your answers - so that makes you a Sola Scripturist.

Was I mistaken? Do you have another Authority you appeal to??
The only authority I appeal to is God. As he is the ONLY one who is perfect.

And I never stated what you just claimed.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since the New Testament is a Catholic document, and since you believe the Catholic Church is a “harlot”, shouldn’t you call the NT, “the Harlot Testament”, or something like that?
the NT is not a catholic document, It is a document given to us By God himself.

The catholic church was nto even formed until the third centurty. The bible was established as it was being written. Even peter, calling Pauls letters scripture. proves this.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said, “he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day” (John 6:54). Unless you belong to the Catholic (or Orthodox) Church, you cannot eat Christ’s flesh and drink His blood.

To love Christ is to love and obey His Catholic Church.
Jesus said if you eat his flesh and drink his blood you will have eternal life and he will raise you up

He also said you will never hunger or thirst You will never die, You will live forever.

In context, He said do not work for food which perishes, but food which endures to eternal life.And unlike the fathers who ate all the time and still died, the food he gives one will eat and never die

The catholic church teaches you can eat and die, In fact, you will hunger, needing to eat it over and over. And actually, you can eat it, and NOT have eternal life, and not be risen on the last day.

The catholic church does not give you the flesh of God. It gives you a pagan like tradition that gives its parishioners a false hope. Because what they are eating and drinking does not give them what Jesus promised it would. Like manna, People still eat it and die, Because it does nto sustain the person, They are required to eat over and over.

Alot of arguments I have heard in here against the roman church are iffy,, Yes you can argue it, But it is not really set in stone,

This one, Goes directly against what Jesus told the people in John 6, and is a slam dunk for those who understand what the true flesh and blood is (the spirit who gives life, the WORDS HE GIVES are spirit and they are life)

Sadly, Rome is also not the only church who practices this sacrament. Its a shame people can take Gods word so far out of context. and in rutn make Jesus himself a liar. and they can not even see it

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In 1John 5: 16, “sin which is deadly” refers not to sin that causes physical death, but to sin that leads to spiritual death. Catholics understand what this verse is referring to - mortal (deadly) and venial (not deadly) sins. Examples of mortal sins are murder, adultery, abortion - sins that, if left unforgiven (see John 20:21-23, 1John 1:9), will land the sinner in Hell, which is spiritual death.

There are lesser sins that don’t deserve the same punishment as mortal sins and won’t land the sinner in Hell if left unforgiven - for example, stealing a pen from your place of employment doesn’t deserve the same punishment as murdering someone.

Now getting back to my original point … one cannot understand what 1John 5:16-17 means if one relies solely on the Scriptures. Only through Church teaching can one make sense of this passage.
1 john 5: 26: If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.

Sorry man, this is speaking of a physical action. basically, If you see your brother commit a sin, and he still lives..

rom 6: 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The wage of sin is death, ALL SIN. the curse of th elaw is death, Break one commands, your done

again, you have fallen for modern day phariseeism. A religious group that curses these sins as horrific. and walks around puffing themselves up they are so righteous, because they do not commit those sins.

Well listen to what Jesus told them about this thinking, then Take Jesus words to heart. because he is in effect talking to you also.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was the Catholic Church alone that decided which books would make up the NT. So please explain why God chose what you call a "harlot … antichrist" Church to decide the contents of the NT.
another lie you have bought into

and another place where you have placed the church above God. as if God needed your help

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You DO follow men - ie, yourself. You are "the Church" because it's only your interpretation of the Bible that really matters. Since you are "the Church", you must be the "fullness" of Christ (Eph 1:22-23).

Are you the "fullness" of Christ? I don' think so.
we know your not.

and talk about following men, Everything you say or profess you got because someone in your church told you, or professed to you that it was true, and how you should listen to them, because they blah blah blah

Don't speak to me about any interpretation. when you follow the interprettion of men.. Just because they claim to be inspired. does not make it so. The fact the roman church has changed some doctrines over the year depending on who is sitting in the office of ceasar should prove this to you.

But when you are so deeply involved, liitle things which should give you pause are usually missed

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The boasting verse is referring to good works ALONE (ie, without faith) - it is not referring to good works done with faith. Doing good works in Christ is simply keeping His commandments, and obedience to them is done out of love for Christ, not for boasting -
"If you love me, you will keep my commandments" (John 14:15).

We abide in Christ by keeping His commandments:
“If you keep my commandments you will abide in my love” (John 15:9);
“All who keep His commandments abide in Him, and He in them.” (1John 3:24).

So unless you perform good works, by keeping His commandments", you cannot abide in Christ … and this will be your end:
“If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers, and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned … (John 15:6)
um no

The boasting is referring to works, as apposed to faith.

You can obey God all you want, you will still fall short of his standard. And considering all your sacraments, You know this to be true

God requires perfection. You or I will never make this standard UNTIL we receive our glorified bodies in heaven.

We boast when we take credit. If you working to earn or maintain your salvation. You are taking credit or boasting of having a part in your salvation. That takes credit away from God. Even paul in rom 4 said the same, If abraham was found by works he has something to boast about. as he also said, if it is of grace it is no longer of work, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

You mixing grace and works, Nullifying grace. and thereby nullifying the gift of God in your life.

Dave M

Mar 28, 2020
Eastern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My heart brakes for anyone who puts there faith in any church instead of God and the word of God is our final and all authority on spiritual matters.

I was once a slave to sin, when I was catholic I confessed my sins to a man, who deceived me into thinking he had the power to forgive my sins, I was heading straight to hell. Finally I got out of that religion, started repenting and Jesus freed from the bondage of sin. I know longer am enslaved to these sins,,,, a catholic "priest" kept saying I was forgiven of if I just repeat some prayers......No you have to be born again, and only our Lord and savior can do that for us.

If you are catholic, ask yourself have you been born again??, have you been set free from the sins that enslaved you at one time??? because only God can do that, and there is only mediator between us and God and that is Jesus Christ

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahhhhh, so you DO believe in the false, man-made 16th century invention of Sola Fide (Faith Alone).
I thought you said you didn't??

By the way - Eph. 2 NEVER mentions "faith alone". And the "works" it is talking about are works of the LAW (Mosaic) - and NOT the works God prepared for followers of Christ in advance. THOSE are the works we cannot boast of because they were prepared for us in advance by GOD.

The ONLY place in ALL of Scripture where we see the phrase "faith alone" is in James 2:24, where it explicitly states:
James 2:24
You see that a person is justified by works and NOT BY FAITH ALONE.
Ahh

See, You are still stuck on one verse.

Eph never mentions the law, never hints at the law. It was not even written to jews who had the law. it was written to the roman church, which was a gentile church. so in effect you have ADDED to word of God, because the word does not support your theory.

Paul in ephesians 2: 10 does say that those saved, or created anew in Christ, are created for good works which they will do.

as I have said numerous times, FAITH IS NEVER ALONE. and guess what, James agrees with me, FAITH IS NEVER ALONE.

it amazes me so much that you think little deeds you do will cause God to look at you and say, Yep, that person deserves my forgiveness, so I will take those works, and forgive there here sins.. Now I know he is going to sin again, so I will look for other works that he does, so I can use those works to wash those sins away.

You also ignore romans 4. where God declaires abraham was saved by FAITH ALONE (before he did one work) and if we was found by works, he would have reason to boast

You also ignore romans 5, where it say that once we have been jsutifed by faith, we HAVE PEACE FROM GOD.

sorry dude, there is no peace from God in your religion. You always have to work work work, because you can not know if you worked enough to save yoursef, and this does not go for just your church, but any church who professes and entrusts their lives to a works based Gospel. There is no hope in your gospel man.

anyway, one more time, just so you are clear

I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS ANY SUCH THING AS FAITH ALONE! FAITH WILL NEVER BE ALONE!!!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So according to your own logic, if faith saves you, that means your faith is greater than what Christ did.
no he just realizes the truth, if we have to work to enter heaven, we will HAVE to do greater than what Jesus did.

Sometimes it helps when we read things in context.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 JOHN 5:13 KJV "These things have I written unto you that ...

1 JOHN 5:13 KJV "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that..."
1 John 5:13 KJV: These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

1 John 5:13-21 ESV - That You May Know - I write these ...

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+John+5:13-21&version=ESV
1 John 5:13-21 English Standard Version (ESV) That You May Know. 13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. 14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we ...
============================================================

Luke 13:24 "Make every effort to enter through the narrow ...

Luke 13:24 "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able.
"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. New Living Translation "Work hard to enter the narrow door to God's Kingdom, for many will try to enter but will fail. English Standard Version "Strive to enter through the narrow door.

Luke 13:22-28 - "Many Will Seek to Enter"

Luke 13:22-28 - “Many Will Seek to Enter”
"Strive to enter through the narrow door…" Luke 13:22-28 . Many are seeking peace, contentment, security and purpose. Many others once searched for these things as well but since have given up, not because these things cannot be found but rather because they looked in the wrong places or did not search diligently enough.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My heart brakes for anyone who puts there faith in any church instead of God and the word of God is our final and all authority on spiritual matters.
COOL ! Your heart stops to help those ones ? > "brakes" :)

Like the good samaritan .... :)

Another lesson > Sometimes, actually often, people "break" God's Word , (not actually - it cannot be broken), but they read something inaccurate FROM their church, ANY church potentially, and they follow that, instead of keeping on seeking God's Word (TRUTH)... and they all remain without knowing God's Word concerning that , until someone finds out, or God reveals it, and then they may know.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was once a slave to sin, when I was catholic I confessed my sins to a man, who deceived me into thinking he had the power to forgive my sins, I was heading straight to hell.
Thanks be to God our Father in HEAVEN for saving you out of that deception ! HALLELUYAH !

There are almost 2 billion more now, to be set free......

Reactions: Dave M

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only authority I appeal to is God. As he is the ONLY one who is perfect.

And I never stated what you just claimed.
Sooooo, you DON'T appeal to Scripture??`
I thought you stated earlier that you DID.

When there is a doctrinal issue that needs to be resolved- where do YOU go??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ahh

See, You are still stuck on one verse.

Eph never mentions the law, never hints at the law. It was not even written to jews who had the law. it was written to the roman church, which was a gentile church. so in effect you have ADDED to word of God, because the word does not support your theory.

Paul in ephesians 2: 10 does say that those saved, or created anew in Christ, are created for good works which they will do.

as I have said numerous times, FAITH IS NEVER ALONE. and guess what, James agrees with me, FAITH IS NEVER ALONE.

it amazes me so much that you think little deeds you do will cause God to look at you and say, Yep, that person deserves my forgiveness, so I will take those works, and forgive there here sins.. Now I know he is going to sin again, so I will look for other works that he does, so I can use those works to wash those sins away.

You also ignore romans 4. where God declaires abraham was saved by FAITH ALONE (before he did one work) and if we was found by works, he would have reason to boast

You also ignore romans 5, where it say that once we have been jsutifed by faith, we HAVE PEACE FROM GOD.

sorry dude, there is no peace from God in your religion. You always have to work work work, because you can not know if you worked enough to save yoursef, and this does not go for just your church, but any church who professes and entrusts their lives to a works based Gospel. There is no hope in your gospel man.

anyway, one more time, just so you are clear

I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE IS ANY SUCH THING AS FAITH ALONE! FAITH WILL NEVER BE ALONE!!!
First of all - calm down and take a deep breath . . .

Now - your FIRST blunder in RED is that you claim Paul's letter to the Ephesians was to the Church in ROME.
This is FALSE. It is to the Church in Ephesus. A 2nd grader could have told you that.

Your second blunder in RED is your claim about Abraham being "saved" by "Faith alone" - yet in the rest of your rant - you claim to reject the idea of "faith alone". You're a walking contradiction.
Besides - James 2:21 assures us that Abraham was justified by his WORKS.

The fact that Rom. 5 says that we are justified by faith PROVES my point that "Faith"= Belief + Works.
Faith is NOT simply "belief". - as James warns us that even the DEMONS "believe" (James 2:24).

The problem with ALL anti-Catholics is that you ONLY read Paul's letters and ignore the rest of the New Testament - and therein lies your confusion. Read ALL of the epistles in CONTEXT with one another . . .

Dave M

Mar 28, 2020
Eastern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with ALL anti-Catholics is that you ONLY read Paul's letters and ignore the rest of the New Testament

I ask with respect brother, do believe a priest can forgive your sins? or that he can act as a mediator between you and God?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ask with respect brother, do believe a priest can forgive your sins? or that he can act as a mediator between you and God?
Yes, I believe that a priest has the power to forgive or retain sins in Christ's name as prescribed by Christ.

Let me ask you a question:
What do you think Christ was doing in John 20:21-23 when He appeared to the Apostles on the night of His Resurrection?
John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you."

And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."

By the way - thank you for being civil.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sooooo, you DON'T appeal to Scripture??`
I thought you stated earlier that you DID.

you love to twist everything dont you?

Thats ok, when it is all you have, I guess you must resort to that tactic

Who inspired scripture?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you love to twist everything dont you?

Thats ok, when it is all you have, I guess you must resort to that tactic

Who inspired scripture?
I will answer your question when YOU have answered mine:

I suspect that you won't answer my question because it'll expose you as a Sola Scripturist.