The obedience test for Jesus’ sign of commitment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why was Jesus immediately tested after performing his symbolic gesture of baptism as his commitment to his Father to die for mankind’s’ sins?

Static words and thoughts and gestures communicating true commitment and faith are empty without true action. Pure demonstrations of commitment to the cause is the true test and reveals the truth of the matter.

Even as any true human believer in God will undergo, to a much lesser extent, testing, Jesus was especially placed on a severe trial to test his commitment of obedience to his Father and his own desire to ultimately sacrifice his life both for the Father’s and our sake.

Immediately after Jesus’ baptism the appropriate amount (fullness, completeness) of power from his Father was given to Jesus, his son (Matt 3:16) (Luke 4:1). Jesus never had this power before this time, and no human since Jesus ever was gifted with it.

Upon travelling Northward to Galilee, the spirit of his Father suddenly diverted him to the barren lands. His Father commanded him to Fast for 40 days and nights. (Matt 4:1-2) (Mark 1:12-13)

Jesus, now sharing some of the power of his Father (Matt 3:16) (Luke 4:1) humbled himself and was obedient to his Father. Jesus never took advantage of his newly found power as he was not given authority to use it without his Father’s permission. It was given later for his use, incrementally during his mission.

As Noah was prepared for years before and then purified and tested during the 40 days and 40 nights at sea, so to was Jesus in the barren desert.

Just as Israel was prepared many years before in Egypt and then purified and tested for 40 years in the desert, to the promised land, so too was Jesus prepared for his youth and then tested at maturity for his road to eternal life.

The first Adam was prepared for years and then tested with his wife. They failed as did the Israelites later. Jesus did not fail his test of obedience to his creator and Father. Jesus laid his own will and set his own desires aside and allowed his Father to work inside of him.

After the 40 days were over, even though Jesus possessed the power of his Father (Matt 3:16) (Luke 4:1) he was at his weakest point and his reliance and obedience to his Father’s will was at its greatest point. It is recorded that Jesus was tested in three categories as a human being.

1. Physical lust – I CAN PLEASE MYSELF (Matt 4:3-4) (Deuteronomy 8:3): Jesus could have stolen his Father’s power to turn stones into bread. Jesus did not take advantage of his Father’s power to quench his physical lust. Jesus was obedient during his temptation. The Father’s manna for the spiritual life took precedence over physical food for the physical life.

2. The pride and power of being like a god – I HAVE THE POWER (Matt 4:5-7) (Psalms 91:11-12) (Deuteronomy 6:16): Jesus, the last Adam, never wanted to be like a god, independent of his Father and his will. He knew who he was already, the son of man and of God. He knew all his power was his Father’s. Jesus never wanted to use his own will and steal his Father’s power for selfish pride. The first Adam thought he could gain his own power and become like a god, in Eden. Jesus was obedient during his temptation.

3. Lust of material gain and treasures – I WANT IT and I CAN HAVE IT (Matt 4:8-10) (Deuteronomy 6:13): Jesus could have stolen his Father’s power to become a king to rule all the kingdoms and tribes of the earth. He did not. His power to perform supernatural things and with deep knowledge and wisdom was borrowed from his Father. Jesus was obedient during his temptation.

Jesus allowed his will to be as his Father’s will in humility and obedience and love (John 10:30). Jesus conquered evil, and showed he was worthy to be our Messiah and the true son of God.

After his test the Father’s angels provided the necessary assistance and I would gather motivation to Jesus (Matt 4:11). I would also gather they were with him throughout his mission.

Jesus, now fully prepared, committed, empowered and guided by his Father, fully tested, officially began his quest and mission to the cross as our savior - to do his Father’s work and his will and not his own (John 10:36-37).

His Father willed that his son Jesus shall be born and become the plan or form for the salvation of mankind, and Jesus agreed as he passed the test! (John 1:14)

I believe this critical area of Jesus' life is generally overlooked and taken for granted..

What say ye?

Bless you,

APAK

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States

Why was Jesus immediately tested after performing his symbolic gesture of baptism as his commitment to his Father to die for mankind’s’ sins?

Static words and thoughts and gestures communicating true commitment and faith are empty without true action. Pure demonstrations of commitment to the cause is the true test and reveals the truth of the matter.

Even as any true human believer in God will undergo, to a much lesser extent, testing, Jesus was especially placed on a severe trial to test his commitment of obedience to his Father and his own desire to ultimately sacrifice his life both for the Father’s and our sake.

Immediately after Jesus’ baptism the appropriate amount (fullness, completeness) of power from his Father was given to Jesus, his son (Matt 3:16) (Luke 4:1). Jesus never had this power before this time, and no human since Jesus ever was gifted with it.

Upon travelling Northward to Galilee, the spirit of his Father suddenly diverted him to the barren lands. His Father commanded him to Fast for 40 days and nights. (Matt 4:1-2) (Mark 1:12-13)

Jesus, now sharing some of the power of his Father (Matt 3:16) (Luke 4:1) humbled himself and was obedient to his Father. Jesus never took advantage of his newly found power as he was not given authority to use it without his Father’s permission. It was given later for his use, incrementally during his mission.

As Noah was prepared for years before and then purified and tested during the 40 days and 40 nights at sea, so to was Jesus in the barren desert.

Just as Israel was prepared many years before in Egypt and then purified and tested for 40 years in the desert, to the promised land, so too was Jesus prepared for his youth and then tested at maturity for his road to eternal life.

The first Adam was prepared for years and then tested with his wife. They failed as did the Israelites later. Jesus did not fail his test of obedience to his creator and Father. Jesus laid his own will and set his own desires aside and allowed his Father to work inside of him.

After the 40 days were over, even though Jesus possessed the power of his Father (Matt 3:16) (Luke 4:1) he was at his weakest point and his reliance and obedience to his Father’s will was at its greatest point. It is recorded that Jesus was tested in three categories as a human being.

1. Physical lust – I CAN PLEASE MYSELF (Matt 4:3-4) (Deuteronomy 8:3

With other spirits there......
A I gained power I'm not really lacking

): Jesus could have stolen his Father’s power to turn stones into bread. Jesus did not take advantage of his Father’s power to quench his physical lust. Jesus was obedient during his temptation. The Father’s manna for the spiritual life took precedence over physical food for the physical life.

2. The pride and power of being like a god – I HAVE THE POWER (Matt 4:5-7) (Psalms 91:11-12) (Deuteronomy 6:16): Jesus, the last Adam,

The last... I never knew he was an Adam! I always thought he was always God

never wanted to be like a god, independent of his Father and his will. He knew who he was already, the son of man and of God. He knew all his power was his Father’s. Jesus never wanted to use his own will and steal his Father’s power for selfish pride. The first Adam thought he could gain his own power and become like a god, in Eden. Jesus was obedient during his temptation.
My father told me to take what's good of him. I respect my father

3. Lust of material gain and treasures – I WANT IT and I CAN HAVE IT (Matt 4:8-10) (Deuteronomy 6:13): Jesus could have stolen his Father’s power to become a king to rule all the kingdoms and tribes of the earth. He did not. His power to perform supernatural things and with deep knowledge and wisdom was borrowed from his Father. Jesus was obedient during his temptation.

Jesus allowed his will to be as his Father’s will in humility and obedience and love (John 10:30). Jesus conquered evil, and showed he was worthy to be our Messiah and the true son of God.

After his test the Father’s angels provided the necessary assistance and I would gather motivation to Jesus (Matt 4:11). I would also gather they were with him throughout his mission.

Jesus, now fully prepared, committed, empowered and guided by his Father, fully tested, officially began his quest and mission to the cross as our savior - to do his Father’s work and his will and not his own (John 10:36-37).

His Father willed that his son Jesus shall be born and become the plan or form for the salvation of mankind, and Jesus agreed as he passed the test! (John 1:14)

I believe this critical area of Jesus' life is generally overlooked and taken for granted..

What say ye?

Bless you,
Jesus is a good Savior and worthy God and he's responsible
I think only that forgiveness repentance atonement and protection are necessary and good along with what you can do to protect yourself and offering spiritual atonement's to God through Jesus or other ways are necessary and good.

Last edited:

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Jesus was immediately tested because challenges and temptations happen during your walk and if the person is coherent wanting or relevant or relative as of their life it makes sense. Nonetheless the job is still done and more work can be added.

Reactions: Acolyte and amadeus

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Jesus is God in the sense he mastered 2 walks. Spiritual and carnal. He's a perfect balance like me but is that really all there is to a person or God? There's also a dark walk.

Last edited:

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
God often seeks out the souls of the lost and will preserve Babylon for it's youth and Extremely saved souls. He helps the lost and sinners so deemed by the world. God respects all people and will preserve both the world and Earth.

Last edited:

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
For the moment, applies certainly to many, but how many persevere in obedience and enduring to the end?

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Gal 6:9
Don't get too greedy. You could loose.