The potential conceit of doctrinal individuality

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Waiting for certainty that we have all our doctrine correct is a scheme to block God's Kingdom.

It's about relationships. It's about loving, listening and offering practical help, along with humbly praying. Sure, we can offer our opinions. The only question is, are the opinions helpful?

I no longer believe it is all that important to say the right thing in the right way as if it is a nearly impossible to reach standard. I am point to Christ IN SOME FORM OR FASHION. Do others have ears to hear or not? No need to over think it.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe you should. Most people have an unfavorable opinion of Christians. You're proof! Calling people liars is totally Christ-like.
Do you mean "church-like" or Christ-like? There is a difference. Read Matthew chapter 23 for examples of Jesus' approach to the Pharisees who sought the glory of men rather than the glory of God.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think about it, though. God's love for man is so far above anything else we've ever known.

Much love!
Yes, of course. But I am reluctant to call it "passionate" love. But I knew what you meant. Thanks.

Reactions: marks

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yea!

But I have a suspicion that one day we will be much more capable of rightly praising Him!

Much love!
Amen. Can I get a witness?!
Would a good witness believe?:

Php_2:3 "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in​
lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."​

Praise The LORD Forever. Amen.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From post #1

Exploring the many facets of the issues of doctrinal unity and individuality.
Issues range from the dictates of religious institutional tyranny on one extreme end of the spectrum,
to freewheeling excesses of biblical interpretation on the other extreme end.
Seeking balance somewhere in the middle.

Another issue that presents itself is: The potential conceit of doctrinal individuality.
This is manifested in a person that thinks they ALONE have the correct biblical interpretation.
Since they believe that God has informed them, there can be no other answer. Right? (wrong)

Typical statements of biblical/doctrinal conceit:
- "Haven't you read the Bible?"
- "God told me..."
- "Who should I believe; you, or God?"
- "God's Word disagrees with you."

Such statements are usually used to win a debate.
Playing "the God card" to end the discussion.

This same conceit plays out in the defense of denominational beliefs as well.
The use of a religious organization as an unquestionable authority in matters of faith and practice.
And one might reply that "The Bible is the unquestionable authority in matters of faith and practice."
Unfortunately, there is no consensus on what the Bible says. What to do, what to do... ???

Related topics:

Unity of the faith - at what cost?

The call for doctrinal unity has gone out across the centuries. Are we there yet? (not by a long shot) Where is the problem? Perhaps it is in the assumption that the unity of the faith is doctrinal unity. - Can there be unity of the faith that overlooks doctrinal differences? - Does the Body...
www.christianityboard.com

Would you surrender your own beliefs in the cause of doctrinal unity?

This is a follow-up to the previous topic: Unity of the faith - at what cost? Link below. Probably the biggest roadblock to Christian doctrinal unity is holding on to the freedom we have to determine our own beliefs. Would you surrender your own beliefs in the cause of Christian doctrinal...

The tyranny of doctrinal unity - "Join or die."

A follow-up to the two previous topics: Would you surrender your own beliefs in the cause of doctrinal unity? Unity of the faith - at what cost? - Do you have the right to allow the Holy Spirit to...

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except we can't even agree on what it says, much less on what it means, or how it applies. This board demonstrates that little truth all too well.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except we can't even agree on what it says, much less on what it means, or how it applies. This board demonstrates that little truth all too well.
Understanding the Bible is not as difficult as it seems. Most of the time, we don't disagree about what the Bible says, but rather about what it means. We can comprehend the written words, but often struggle to grasp their significance. Our arguments are usually not about the explicit meaning of the Bible, but rather about what it implies and indirectly conveys.

Reactions: quietthinker

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want truth then believe God's Word and ignore the ideas and opinions of little men!!===SIMPLE!!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly.
My disagreements with the tribe lately have been met with comments like, "Haven't you read the Bible?"
As if a differing view indicated ignorance. These folks need to get out more.

We are told not to be of the world, but these folks are even in it.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New topic.

/

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly.
My disagreements with the tribe lately have been met with comments like, "Haven't you read the Bible?"
As if a differing view indicated ignorance. These folks need to get out more.

We are told not to be of the world, but these folks are even in it.

Sometimes, differing views do indicate ignorance.

Reactions: marks

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. You and I are ignorant of many things, right?
Maybe that's not what you meant? - LOL
(Hoping to point the finger at me and absolve yourself?)

/
I meant that you are ignorant of the scriptures and that when people point this out to you, they are correct.

And no, I am not like you in the least.