The potential conceit of doctrinal individuality

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're not meant for this world.
That raises some interesting questions and concerns.
Why did God put us where we don't belong?

Or perhaps you meant, as believers we are NO LONGER meant for this world?

What's the old Gospel song?

This world is not my home
I'm just a passin' through
If heaven's not my home
then Lord what will I do
Angels beckon me
from heavens open door
And I won't have to live
in this world any more

Reactions: amadeus

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If heaven's not my home
then Lord what will I do
Angels beckon me
from heavens open door
And I won't have to live
in this world any more

Exactly right my brother. We're just passing through the crucible getting refined. This is not our home. Our home is with God in his kingdom. Our souls know this. Everyone seeks the fulfillment that only being with God can provide. We seek it through drugs, sex, alcohol, fame, fortune, and a whole bunch of other, worldly, desires that always come up short. For some, it's unbearable and they end their lives so that they can be with God, even if they aren't cognizant of it.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Mikey-for-sure

Jul 6, 2023
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
  • Mark 9:25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying to him, You dumb and deaf spirit, I charge you, come out of him, and enter no more into him.
Hello Gismys_7, I appreciate your discernment. May I ask if this here website is a nest of progressives? I feel somewhat punch drunk reading their comments.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't it cute how Satan is so subtle when attacking our Bible! Maybe this thread should be called 'Bible Attackers Unite!'

2 Timothy 4
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

God is always right on!

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exploring the many facets of the issues of doctrinal unity and individuality.
Issues range from the dictates of religious institutional tyranny on one extreme end of the spectrum,
to freewheeling excesses of biblical interpretation on the other extreme end.
Seeking balance somewhere in the middle.

Another issue that presents itself is: The potential conceit of doctrinal individuality.

This is manifested in a person that thinks they ALONE have the correct biblical interpretation.
Since they believe that God has informed them, there can be no other answer. Right? (wrong)

Typical statements of biblical/doctrinal conceit:
- "Haven't you read the Bible?"
- "God told me..."
- "Who should I believe; you, or God?"
- "God's Word disagrees with you."

Such statements are usually used to win a debate.
Playing "the God card" to end the discussion.

This same conceit plays out in the defense of denominational beliefs as well.
The use of a religious organization as an unquestionable authority in matters of faith and practice.

And one might reply that "The Bible is the unquestionable authority in matters of faith and practice."
Unfortunately, there is no consensus on what the Bible says. What to do, what to do... ???

Related topics:
Feeling guilty?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm across a number of Christian communities and over the past few years I've heard an increase in suicides. There is a direct correlation between the increase of sin, and shame which leads to suicide. Also a good friend of mine works in Samoa which has one of the highest suicide rates among youth of any country in the world. We have some countries in the earth with rates as high as 26 per 100,000 (South Korea).

The trend in the USA is very concerning.
View attachment 33999
Yes, very concerning when the "Male" numbers are HIGHER than the "Total" figures. - LOL
We're concerned about the credibility of your source.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I'm serious.

If the people you know feel like they have to "love" others, and do so out of a sense of duty, that's not love. "I'm going to make myself like you", what's real about that? But if we come to see people like God does, then we can set aside this fleshy shallow idea of "like" or "love", and embrace God's idea.

Where Jesus came to die for His abominable enemies, to rescue them from the consequences of their sins.

Much love!

Ro 8:14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
If not led by the Spirit, where is God's love in the person? Who is a son of God? Who is like Jesus?

1jo 3:2Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

But without love, are we sons of God? Who is led always by the Spirit of God?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus answered, “It is he to whom I will give this morsel of bread when I have dipped it.” So when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.

He did so till the very end!
Mt 5:44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mt 5:45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If heaven's not my home
then Lord what will I do
Angels beckon me
from heavens open door
And I won't have to live
in this world any more
Joh 17:11And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
Joh 17:12While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
Joh 17:13And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think face2face believes in the everlasting fire that Jesus taught.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is manifested in a person that thinks they ALONE have the correct biblical interpretation.
Duh. What do you expect? Do you really believe that people hold beliefs that they know are incorrect?
This same conceit plays out in the defense of denominational beliefs as well.
The use of a religious organization as an unquestionable authority in matters of faith and practice.
There is no conceit in affirming a doctrinal position. You are confusing conceit with surety. The two are not the same thing.
And one might reply that "The Bible is the unquestionable authority in matters of faith and practice."
Unfortunately, there is no consensus on what the Bible says. What to do, what to do... ???
The second doesn't defeat the first. The verity of the Bible doesn't depend on consensus. It would remain true though every man is a liar.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course. Take captive every thought.

My point is, we see this "The Bible says I have to love you," attitude a lot.
Matthew 5:48
Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, only if you want to be mature.

2 Peter 1:5-8 LITV
5) But also in this very thing, having brought in all diligence, having fully supplied in your faith virtue, and with virtue knowledge,
6) and with the knowledge self-control, and with the self-control patience, and with the patience godliness,
7) and with the godliness brotherly love, and with brotherly love, love.
8) For these things being in you, and abounding, they will make you not idle, not unfruitful in the full knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Brotherly Love, "fraternal affection".

You have to be able to live out God's love for others without letting your own fleshy dislikes to get in the way. There is the person whom God created, and there are the things that person does. We have to separate those.

And "Have to love" isn't love.

Much love!
We are commanded to love. But the command to "love" isn't a command to have affection. In this case, "love" refers to beneficent action toward another person. Jesus said to love our enemies. He didn't mean "feel affection" toward them or even like them. He means, if you see an enemy thirsty, give him a drink of water, if you see an enemy hungry, give him some food, if you see an enemy hanging from a cliff, help him up. In other words, do good to all human beings.

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, only if you want to be mature.

2 Peter 1:5-8 LITV
5) But also in this very thing, having brought in all diligence, having fully supplied in your faith virtue, and with virtue knowledge,
6) and with the knowledge self-control, and with the self-control patience, and with the patience godliness,
7) and with the godliness brotherly love, and with brotherly love, love.
8) For these things being in you, and abounding, they will make you not idle, not unfruitful in the full knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Brotherly Love, "fraternal affection".

You have to be able to live out God's love for others without letting your own fleshy dislikes to get in the way. There is the person whom God created, and there are the things that person does. We have to separate those.

And "Have to love" isn't love.

Much love!
We are commanded to love. But the command to "love" isn't a command to have affection. In this case, "love" refers to beneficent action toward another person. Jesus said to love our enemies. He didn't mean "feel affection" toward them or even like them. He means, if you see an enemy thirsty, give him a drink of water, if you see an enemy hungry, give him some food, if you see an enemy hanging from a cliff, help him up. In other words, do good to all human beings.