The Red Sea & The Demoniac

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Feb 7, 2013
The Red Sea, Calming The Storm & The Demoniac
Parallels

At my bible study tonight we were studying passages where Jesus calmed the storm and cast the demons out of the demoniac of decapolis.

One guy brought to our attention that there were parallels between this story and the crossing of of the red sea.

He started by linking Deuteronomy 18:18 I will raise up for them a Prophet like you (Moses)... to Jesus

Anyway I decided to table the examples i could find for your review…
Please let me know if you find any more.

Parallels

Ex 14:10 So they were very afraid, and the children of Israel cried out to the Lord.
Mt 8:25 Mk 4:38 Lk 8:24 Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him,

Ex 14:11 have you taken us away to die in the wilderness?
Mt 8:23 Mk 4:38 Lk 8:24 saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!”

Ex 14:13 And Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid…”
Mt 8:26 Butt He said to them, Why are you fearful,

Ex 14:31 Thus Israel saw the great work which the Lord had done in Egypt; so the people feared the Lord, and believed the Lord and His servant Moses.
Mk 4:41 And they feared exceedingly,

Ex 15:8 And with the blast of Your nostrils The waters were gathered together;
Mt 8:26, Mk 4:41, Lk 8:25 “Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?

Ex 14:19-31 Israel crossed the red sea.
Mk 5:5 Then they came to the other side of the sea,

Ex 14:11 Then they said to Moses, “Because there were no graves in Egypt, have you taken us away to die in the wilderness?
Mt 8:28, Mk 5:2, Lk 8:27 there met Him two demon-possessed men, coming out of the tombs

Ex 14:28 Then the waters returned and covered the chariots, the horsemen, and all the army of Pharaoh that came into the sea after them. Not so much as one of them remained
Mt 8:32, Mk 5:13, Lk 8:33 And suddenly the whole herd of swine ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and perished in the water.

Parallels In summary

• Calling on the Lord

• Acknowledging their mortal condition (their inability to save themselves).

• Do Not be afraid (of the turmoil around us).

• Fear the Lord (for his authority and power, over the wind and the water).

• Crossing the Sea

• Coming out of the graves

• All oppressors perrish

I figured a good talk, discussion, or even sermon could be gleaned from these points.
Has anyone heard of these being compared before?