YES, Lord Jesus Christ DID Claim To Be GOD

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brethren in Christ, don't listen to the lackeys who try to claim that Jesus never claimed to be God. That's a lie, and most likely a lie from those who refuse to believe that Jesus of Nazareth is God having come in the flesh, which is the definition of one of His Titles, that of "Emmanuel" (God with us), per Matthew 1:23.

Towards the end of John 8 is one place where Jesus emphatically claimed to be GOD to the blind Pharisees...

John 8:56-59
"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw it, and was glad."

By that, Lord Jesus was claiming that He existed back in the days of Abraham, and even that Abraham foresaw the time of Christ's 1st coming, and was glad.

57 Then said the Jews unto Him, "Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?"

Then the Jews looked at Him, and mocked that Jesus was not yet even 50 years old, and had He really seen Abraham?

58 Jesus said unto them,
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."
59 Then took they up stones to cast at Him: but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
KJV

The "I AM" is one of God's sacred names. When God sent Moses to speak to the children of Israel, Moses asked Him by what name should he say sent him? God said to Moses...

Ex 3:14
14 And God said unto Moses,
"I AM THAT I AM": and He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."
KJV

Those Pharisees tempting Jesus were not blind to that, "I AM" phrase at all! They knew Jesus saying that He is The I AM was His saying that He is GOD. That is why they picked up stones to try and stone Jesus.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Jesus said He was God in several places... but in His earthly ministry he frequently called Himself "son of man"

"Son of man" is the translation of one Hebrew and one Aramaic phrase used in the Hebrew Bible. In Hebrew, the term is ben-adam, while in Aramaic its equivalent bar-adam is used. In the Book of Daniel and in post-biblical literature, the similar terms bar-anosh and bar-nasha also appear.

The Hebrew expression "son of man" (בן–אדם i.e. ben-'adam) appears one hundred and seven times in the Hebrew Bible.[1] This is the most common Hebrew construction for the singular, appearing 93 times in the Book of Ezekiel alone and 14 times elsewhere. In thirty two cases, the phrase appears in intermediate plural form "sons of men". As generally interpreted by Jews, "son of man" denotes mankind generally in contrast to deity or godhead, with special reference to their weakness and frailty.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Jesus said He was God in several places... but in His earthly ministry he frequently called Himself "son of man"

I was not dwelling on the matter that Jesus 'The Christ' was born into a flesh body like us. Every Christian well knows that. It's the fact that Jesus is... God born in the flesh that makes all the difference so that no one can simply claim He was just human flesh only, like unbelieving Jews wrongly think.

Per Matthew 1:23, one of Lord Jesus Christ's titles is "Emmanuel", taken from the Book of Isaiah, and it means, as written there in Matthew 1, "God with us". Isaiah 9 says the following about Jesus Christ...

Isa 9:6-7
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor,
The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end,
upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
KJV

Thus the unbelieving Jews especially... have no excuse for not believing on Jesus of Nazareth as God The Savior prophesied to come per the Old Testament prophets. The only consolation the unbelieving Jews have is the spiritual blindness God put upon them away from The Gospel that Apostle Paul mentioned in Romans 11. Paul said in the fullness of the Gentiles that spiritual stupor God put upon the majority of Jews will be removed, which is a pointer to Jesus Christ's future return.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Jesus did not go around saying.... "Backup people! The Son of the Living God is coming thru!"

He said He was the Son of God a few times, but that's not what He led with... He referred to Himself as "Son of man"which is the Hebrew term ben-adam meaning son of adam

1 Corinthians 15:45
And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In John 1 we see the Word is with God and is God - establishing the relationship of the two.
Then in v14 we see the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. Therefore God = the Word = Jesus.

John 1:1-14
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not [a]comprehend it.

John’s Witness: The True Light wax​

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That[b] was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His [c]own, and His [d]own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the [e]right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

The Word Becomes Flesh​

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those Pharisees tempting Jesus were not blind to that, "I AM" phrase at all! They knew Jesus saying that He is The I AM was His saying that He is GOD.
If “they knew” that, why didn’t they accuse Him of that at the Sanhedrin trial?

They never did, according to the gospel record. And they were even looking for false witnesses! Yet not once did they accuse Him of claiming to be God.

Ego eimi (I am) is simply stating existence. Jesus said He was existing in Abraham’s day. That’s what the Pharisees understood. Nothing more.

Reactions: APAK

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Son of man" is the translation of one Hebrew and one Aramaic phrase used in the Hebrew Bible. In Hebrew, the term is ben-adam, while in Aramaic its equivalent bar-adam is used. In the Book of Daniel and in post-biblical literature, the similar terms bar-anosh and bar-nasha also appear.

The Hebrew expression "son of man" (בן–אדם i.e. ben-'adam) appears one hundred and seven times in the Hebrew Bible.[1] This is the most common Hebrew construction for the singular, appearing 93 times in the Book of Ezekiel alone and 14 times elsewhere. In thirty two cases, the phrase appears in intermediate plural form "sons of men". As generally interpreted by Jews, "son of man" denotes mankind generally in contrast to deity or godhead, with special reference to their weakness and frailty.
Jesus is "ONE" with God. The Holy Spirit is "ONE" with God, and God is "ONE" God. John said it clearly, "...and the word was WITH God and the word was God". "...and the word became flesh and dwelt among us". "Father, Father, why hast though forsaken me". A clear separation here. Jesus died, Jesus truly died. GOD DID NOT DIE. Clearly a separation here. After Jesus rose from the dead, he forbaid the women to touch Him because He had not been glorified by the Father yet. Clearly a separation here.

Son of man means; A Male, a first born, unblemished and undefiled, prepared to be sacrificed for the sins of mankind once and for all time. Since it was Adam who sinned and blemished and defiled all humankind, Jesus being the second Adam, became the Perfect sacrifice for mankind. Animals were not at fault for the sins of the world, man was, and rather than having every human being die individually for their sins, God sent His only begotten Son to die for "all" mankind.

Animals were innocent, but their blood could not remove both the Iniquity and Transgression because they weren't accountable for mans condemnation. Man was, so God sent His word to become flesh and take our place on the cross, and He had to be more perfect than animals, and He was.

Transgression is when we cross the line and require blood for God to pass over and not stop and kill us. Iniquity is the condition in which we stand before God...Condemed. We no longer deal with Transgressions and Iniquities, Jesus paid the full price for us. Thus, the "Son of Man" the first born perfect sacrifice born of man.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If “they knew” that, why didn’t they accuse Him of that at the Sanhedrin trial?

They never did, according to the gospel record. And they were even looking for false witnesses! Yet not once did they accuse Him of claiming to be God.

Ego eimi (I am) is simply stating existence. Jesus said He was existing in Abraham’s day. That’s what the Pharisees understood. Nothing more.

Read your Bible much??

Matt 27:43
43 He trusted in God; let Him deliver Him now, if He will have Him: for He said, 'I am the Son of God.'
KJV

John 5:18
Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill Him, because He not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
KJV

John 19:7
7 The Jews answered him, 'We have a law, and by our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God.'
KJV

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Read your Bible much??

Matt 27:43
43 He trusted in God; let Him deliver Him now, if He will have Him: for He said, 'I am the Son of God.'
KJV

John 5:18
18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill Him, because He not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
KJV

John 19:7
7 The Jews answered him, 'We have a law, and by our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God.'
KJV
I have to ask you the same thing….do YOU read your Bible much…..or should I ask what are you reading into your Bible as opposed to what it actually says?

Tell me what verse you quoted there, that has Jesus claiming to be “God”…..or that has the Jews accusing him of being “God”?

In each verse…..
Matt 27:43…
”for He said, 'I am the Son of God.'”
He did not say...”I am God the Son”….nor does the expression “ego eimi”…(I am) so often used by Jesus, mean that he is claiming to be God.
According to the Jewish Tanakh, God’s name is not “I Am” but “I Will Be What I Will Be”.
Ex 3:13-15 Jewish Tanakh

John 5:18…
“He not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.”
Who was accusing Jesus of claiming equality with God? It was the Pharisees who wanted to pin a charge of blasphemy on him….they wanted to silence him….permanently, clearly stated in the next verse you quoted…

John 19:7…
”We have a law, and by our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God.'”
Do you see why they wanted to charge him with an offense punishable by death according to Jewish Law?
Did he make himself “God”? Or was it that “made himself the son of God”?

Just read what it says without the manipulation of God’s word to support a doctrine that Christ never taught.
Take off the distorted lens that was created by an apostate church centuries ago, and see what the Bible plainly teaches….Jesus is the divine “son of God”, but he is not, and never claimed to be, “God the Almighty”….Yahweh…the “one God“ of the Jews, as well as the first Christians. (Deut 6:4; 1 Cor 8:5-6)

Reactions: TheHC

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is "ONE" with God. The Holy Spirit is "ONE" with God, and God is "ONE" God. John said it clearly, "...and the word was WITH God and the word was God". "...and the word became flesh and dwelt among us". "Father, Father, why hast though forsaken me". A clear separation here. Jesus died, Jesus truly died. GOD DID NOT DIE. Clearly a separation here. After Jesus rose from the dead, he forbaid the women to touch Him because He had not been glorified by the Father yet. Clearly a separation here.

And yet.... Jesus did not go around saying.... "Backup people! The Son of the Living God is coming thru!"

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Col 1 By Him all things were created! ONLY GOD is the Creator in the Bible. Jesus is God.
This passage struck me in a new way recently:

Hebrews 3:1-4 KJV
1) Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
2) Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.
3) For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house.
4) For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.

Much love!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have no clew what Jesus, "And yet...didn't go around saying...YOU WEREN'T THERE! Your antics aren't even humorous.

We have record of what Jesus said in the Gospels... and He never went around saying... "Backup people! The Son of the Living God is coming thru!" disagree.gif

Your antics are rather boring. Could you spice things up a bit?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This passage struck me in a new way recently:

Hebrews 3:1-4 KJV
1) Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
2) Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.
3) For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house.
4) For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.

Much love!
And to back up to Heb CH 1 "Let all God's angels WORSHIP Him"! ONLY God is to be worshiped. Jesus is clearly God!

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have record of what Jesus said in the Gospels... and He never went around saying... "Backup people! The Son of the Living God is coming thru!" View attachment 42075

"
We have record of what Jesus said in the Gospels... and He never went around saying... "Backup people! The Son of the Living God is coming thru!" View attachment 42075

Your ignorance of what the Godpels don't say displays your innability to comprehend the scriptures.

If everything Jesus said and did were recorded, there would not be enough space on this earth to contain the parchments needed to complete that task. I'm paraphrasing, do you know what that means? It means Jesus did a lot more than everything in the gospels combined. That includes speach and miracales. For you to state what He didn't say is absurd to say the least.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 20 Thomas said to Jesus, "My Lord and my God".

Amen Thomas, Jesus is my God also!

Col 1 By Jesus all things were created.

ONLY God is the Creator. Jesus is clearly God!

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brethren in Christ, don't listen to the lackeys who try to claim that Jesus never claimed to be God. That's a lie, and most likely a lie from those who refuse to believe that Jesus of Nazareth is God having come in the flesh, which is the definition of one of His Titles, that of "Emmanuel" (God with us), per Matthew 1:23.

Towards the end of John 8 is one place where Jesus emphatically claimed to be GOD to the blind Pharisees...

John 8:56-59
"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw it, and was glad."

By that, Lord Jesus was claiming that He existed back in the days of Abraham, and even that Abraham foresaw the time of Christ's 1st coming, and was glad.

57 Then said the Jews unto Him, "Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?"

Then the Jews looked at Him, and mocked that Jesus was not yet even 50 years old, and had He really seen Abraham?

58 Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."
59 Then took they up stones to cast at Him: but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
KJV

The "I AM" is one of God's sacred names. When God sent Moses to speak to the children of Israel, Moses asked Him by what name should he say sent him? God said to Moses...

Ex 3:14
14 And God said unto Moses,
"I AM THAT I AM": and He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."
KJV

Those Pharisees tempting Jesus were not blind to that, "I AM" phrase at all! They knew Jesus saying that He is The I AM was His saying that He is GOD. That is why they picked up stones to try and stone Jesus.
You won't reach those whom God's Holy Spirit has not touched. The natural mind can't understand that Jesus was God.

We won't talk them into understanding. Only the Holy Spirit can open their understanding.

Be at peace. :) You're saved. It's all OK. ❤️

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Jesus said, "I and the FATHER are One."

Ponder carefully, He did not say the FATHER and I are one, but rather putting Himself first claiming equality with GOD.

That is why more the more, the rage stirred up with the leaders of Israel, plainly due to blasphemy.

In the beginning itself, they wanted to throw Jesus off a cliff.

But just because His time has not yet come, they couldn't do anything to Him.

They even quoted furthermore in the Gospel, 'You, being a man, make yourself GOD.'

The Jews themselves that day were the firsthand eye witnesses to have heard, Jesus claiming to be God.

Only the blind of this generation we witness, are blindly denying and disputing the claim.

Reactions: Davy

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your ignorance of what the Godpels don't say displays your innability to comprehend the scriptures.
laughing2.gif
Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

But yours has been infected with stinky untrue lent.

If everything Jesus said and did were recorded, there would not be enough space on this earth to contain the parchments needed to complete that task. I'm paraphrasing, do you know what that means?

Yes, that means some people listen to the devil and claim Jesus said and did things they cannot prove He said and did agree.gif

For you to state what He didn't say is absurd to say the least.

OK, so post up scripture references showing that Jesus went around saying... "Backup people! The Son of the Living God is coming thru!"

Status
Not open for further replies.