The Reformers Biggest Mistake and Christianity's Need to Change it

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Please explain and don’t say context
All scripture is inspired but says nothing about context or exegesis
you ask for explanation yet passed replies indicate you have no interest in explanation.....so I will not bother.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello you and welcome.

I think that Bible is one of the greatest gifts to humanity when it is in the right right hands. I also think it can be the greatest curse, if it is in the wrong hands.

This video is 12 minutes long.
The Reformers Biggest Mistake and Christianity's Need to Change it

Do you have any thoughts about on these things?

The problem with the reformation has to do with pendulums.

The doctrinal error at one end of the pendulum swing was Catholicism, and the reformation swung the pendulum way too far in the other direction, with its own major errors (with biblical truth being in the middle).

The Calvinist doctrines that came from the reformation are an insult to the nature, and character of God.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you make the bible authority?

I have to make a decision here: To let the living God of the bible : who also lives outside of the bible ~ be the authority in my life.

Or do I make the bible my authority in my life instead?

What do you choose? The bible as your authority or living by the spirit instead?

These are my questions @marks

Why not follow the book of instructions God tells you to follow.

You’re commanded to study the scriptures and rightly divide the truth, and you’re told that all scripture has the final say about doctrines, making it the measuring stick you use to determine the truth.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Jesus had a favorite saying - IT IS WRITTEN - and told the Pharisees they erred because they didn’t know the scriptures, and said to SEARCH the scriptures to find eternal life, and that they spoke of Him, and He frequently cited the Old Testament as being authoritative.

Mat 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

The Holy Spirit doesn’t lead anyone to the truth apart from studying the scriptures, and learning Gods Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The one true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles cannot teach error jn 8:32 jn 16:13

The pillar and ground of truth

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not follow the book of instructions God tells you to follow.

You’re commanded to study the scriptures and rightly divide the truth, and you’re told that all scripture has the final say about doctrines, making it the measuring stick you use to determine the truth.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Jesus had a favorite saying - IT IS WRITTEN - and told the Pharisees they erred because they didn’t know the scriptures, and said to SEARCH the scriptures to find eternal life, and that they spoke of Him, and He frequently cited the Old Testament as being authoritative.

Mat 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

The Holy Spirit doesn’t lead anyone to the truth apart from studying the scriptures, and learning Gods Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.

I do not believe in commanded to do anything but to willingly show love towards God and towards others. The Bible is there on the table if you desire to study it. It is up the individual; some may just live by faith and never read but maybe they still listen and hear it talked about or preached.

It most certainly a useful tool to learn about God and the Lord Jesus Christ and Many more topics. I agree with you there.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe in commanded to do anything but to willingly show love towards God and towards others. The Bible is there on the table if you desire to study it. It is up the individual; some may just live by faith and never read but maybe they still listen and hear it talked about or preached.

It most certainly a useful tool to learn about God and the Lord Jesus Christ and Many more topics. I agree with you there.

refers to the apostles who are to teach us Matt 28:19

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The one true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles cannot teach error jn 8:32 jn 16:13

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15
The USA founded on better principles the the pilgrims were escaping from no doubt has remained untarnished and beyond reproach also!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t debate but the spirit of truth will help us in interpreting and looking at scripture I believe. What about you?
Absolutely. So it's both: sola Scriptura as proof of the truth, and sola spiritus in guiding us to the truth of Scripture.

We break away from others' interpretations of Scripture, but we do not break away from Scripture itself.

(Debate of the world out peoples' own minds about the things of God is vain, but disputing about the interpretation of Scripture to know the things of God is the believer's right: "And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God." (Acts 19))

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It most certainly a useful tool to learn about God and the Lord Jesus Christ and Many more topics.
You will need to get off the fence and take a stand. Either you should attack the Bible wholeheartedly, or you should abandon your false ideas about it. You cannot have it both ways. Either you are a learner or a teacher. If you are a learner, then start learning. You do not not really know what the Bible is.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Peter, the apostles, and 'their successors'..."

"For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them." (Acts 20)

I am the successor to the apostles in my own life of faith of Jesus.

I am a Berean believer who would have looked to the Scriptures to see if the things Paul said were so or not.

If anyone teaches the apostles' doctrine according to Scripture (Acts 2:42), then good. If not, then they are false and not successors of the apostles, but usurpers of the the doctrine of Christ. (2 John 1:10)

There are no 'successors' to the apostles. There are those called to ministry who ought teach the doctrine of the apostles, but we all are successors of their doctrine, even as we all are inheritors of the kingdom of God by faith of Jesus.

Those who honor Mary as Mother of God according to the traditions of the church fathers are not washed in the blood of the Lamb according to the doctrine of the apostles of Christ. They are the blind following blind 'successor' guides into the ditch.

They need to get rid of their successor worship and 'church' tradition cocoon and start reading Scriptures of the Bible for themselves. In the meantime they are foolish children who think they know something about God that they don't, because their 'successors' have taught them something about God that isn't what thus saith the Lord in Scripture.

'Oh! Successors of the apostles! My heroes, my heroes! Oh, where would I ever be without them?!'

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will need to get off the fence and take a stand. Either you should attack the Bible wholeheartedly, or you should abandon your false ideas about it. You cannot have it both ways. Either you are a learner or a teacher. If you are a learner, then start learning. You do not not really know what the Bible is.

Okay I don’t judge you.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely. So it's both: sola Scriptura as proof of the truth, and sola spiritus in guiding us to the truth of Scripture.

We break away from others' interpretations of Scripture, but we do not break away from Scripture itself.

(Debate of the world out peoples' own minds about the things of God is vain, but disputing about the interpretation of Scripture to know the things of God is the believer's right: "And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God." (Acts 19))

I believe people can take sola scriptura to far. I agree though the scriptures are for our comfort and reassurance of the promises of God.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
cos of the authority of Christ and his holy church and scripture Matt 16:18 bound on earth bound in heaven
Christians do not observe Jewish Passover
And not pagan festivals but the resurrection of our savior
Yes, Christ did establish a church. Absolutely. To an outsider, what were the characteristics of that church? How was a non Christian to identify the true church? What does the bible say? There were many churches in the first century in many cities across several continents. From Britain to Asia. For example, the apostle Thomas established a church in Goa, India. Was that church a true church?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I look at Matthew 28 I look to who is being spoken to it is in the great commission breakdown that is my view on Matthew 28.

Please none of you ever lose hope and trust in God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Your eternal salvation rest upon your faith in God.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this we agree to a point.

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

It's not so much to know 'how' to live by the faith of Jesus with prayer. But rather to know how not to be deceived into false works of righteousness and snares of the devil.

"But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness."

"I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one."

But in the end, it's simpler to fellowship with an innocent saint in the faith without great knowledge, than to spar with brethren of great understanding.

So long as the fence is not that of good and evil doings, then they are not in danger of being lukewarm...

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
the church has authority to teach the truth
Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13 matt 28:19
We must be taught instructed Lk 1:4
Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3
The church does have authority to teach truth, even an obligation. But the moment it teaches error, it is no longer obeying Christ, but in rebellion. Your church stopped teaching truth 1800 years ago. And the errors your church taught grew progressively worse down through the centuries... And claims to infallibility were simply a bald faced fantasy to justify the lies and superstitions that subjected her members to fear and bondage.

Reactions: Curtis

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In terms of what you are trying to say, I put it this way:

The Scriptures define the law of God for all to obey, but there is plenty of liberty in that law of Scripture, which leaves to the individual to decide by personal faith with his Savior Jesus Christ.

Scripture is the objective truth of God, that has plenty of subjective interpretations not against God, and is happy for the believer.

"Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth." (Rom 14)

So long as we don't begin to push our subjective beliefs upon others as Scripture, then all is well. We can truly live and let live within the perfect law of liberty of Christ Jesus. (James 1)

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They taught us, it’s called the New Testament.

Jesus also gave the apostles the mandate to heal the sick, raise the dead, and cast out demons.

The apostles were so full of Holy Spirit Dunamis power, that just Peters shadow healed people.

Act 5:14 And more than ever believers were added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women,

Act 5:15 so that they even carried out the sick into the streets and laid them on cots and mats, that as Peter came by at least his shadow might fall on some of them.

Act 5:16 The people also gathered from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing the sick and those afflicted with unclean spirits, and they were all healed.

If there was apostolic succession, the Pope’s would go forth healing the sick, raising the dead, and casting out demons.

But they don’t.

Reactions: robert derrick