• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, if you were a Jew in the first century I’d agree.

All who are now saved were once kept under the law (Galatians 3:23)...both Jew and Gentile.

The book of Galatians was written to Gentiles to keep them from being "Judaized"...so Galatians 3:23 was not written of Jews at all but of Gentiles...while I believe that it also applies to Jews.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All who are now saved were once kept under the law (Galatians 3:23)...both Jew and Gentile.

The book of Galatians was written to Gentiles to keep them from being "Judaized"...so Galatians 3:23 was not written of Jews at all but of Gentiles...while I believe that it also applies to Jews.
Romans 2:14 KJV
[14] For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
No need to add to it.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They have not the law...they will still be judged by the law (Romans 3:19-20) and found guilty before God because of the law.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We were all kept under the law before we were saved (Galatians 3:23).

Questions is: were we all under the law of sin and death.

Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

question is: were we all under a schoolmaster.

Galatians 3:25-26 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. [26] For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 24:22 And they shall be gathered together, as prisoners are gathered in the pit, and shall be shut up in the prison, and after many days shall they be visited.

He came to set the captives free. If there all were not captive, if all were not held or kept under bondage, then some being never captive need not be freed. They need not Christ.

Luke 3:20 Added yet this above all, that shut up John in prison.

did Christ visit John ‘shut up’ in prison?

Acts 26:9-10 I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. [10] Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them.

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus Himself is that sabbath rest, as Paul described HIM in Hebrews 4:9.
Therefore, when reading that verse, come from the perspective of Christ, and not from the sabbath. See Matthew 11:29.
Jesus fulfilled the keeping of the sabbath verbatim.
So then, should it be that you are not keeping that Law perfectly and without error, means that you have BROKEN ALL the 10Cs. Yes! God sees you as a Murderer, theif, an adulterer, covetous, etc., all rolled into one!
Don't you get it? Your keeping of the Law verbatim reveals that YOU LACK FAITH in the shed blood of Christ FOR YOU. Only He is your covering (atonement), and not anything of the Law, that you can add or do!!
His jusgment is: You are GUILTY,...always!

Thank God there are none immortal; one day your noises will be still, Earbuzzer!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I would never be so bold as to tell you what to do. But if you will, I have discovered that men and women of faith are at different levels of maturity and knowledge concerning the scriptures. As a consequence, we make mistakes. But mistakes can be corrected and correction is best left to the work of the Holy Spirit. My goal is to help others come to a better understanding of the scriptures as I understand them. My approach is to simply lay it down on the table. If you, or someone else chooses to pick it up, that is your choice. If you don't find it helpful, then don't pick it up.

In this case, I chose not to filter my comments through the "Law v. Grace" controversy. And I kept my comments short, because this format favors brief explanations. But this doesn't mean that I don't have reasons to believe what I wrote. I could offer you many scriptures and arguments. I have reasons for what I believe and I have laid out some of those reasons here.

Pick it up or leave it on the table. That is your choice. If what I say is helpful to your own studies, that is all I can ask of myself.

Our Confession says I believe the Holy Spirit irresistibly speaks through the Scriptures of Jesus Christ in the Congregation. Nowhere else, nohow else. <<Correction left to the work of the Holy Spirit>> IN ME without Scripture is outside The Body of Christ and inside the devil's mind who took over dominion of a man's heart he not even realising.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Belief in Jesus and walking in his word are the means to grace in Paul's mind.

Untrue, <<belief .. and walking in his word>> are our works, which have no merit and are no <<means to grace>>. We have NO 'MEANS TO GRACE' whatsoever. Grace is of God-- all of it or none at all. So is grace not by our choice, but from the will and mercy of God.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike.

Paul never wrote <<One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike.>> It is a corruption of the Text. Read this verse leaving out 'One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike', and the WHOLE MEANING is reversed.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul never wrote <<One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike.>> It is a corruption of the Text.

Nope, it's pretty clear that the kjv says it this way (and the kjv is not a corrupted text):

Rom 14:5, One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's important to remember that the Ten Commandments were never intended as the means to salvation. Rather, the Ten Commandments answers to the question, "what behavior defines a holy people?" A holy person doesn't run after other gods; a holy person doesn't commit adultery; a holy person doesn't murder; a holy person remembers the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy.

Keeping the Sabbath day is more than resting one day a week. It memorializes the Seventh Day of creation on which God rested. As such, it remains one of many ways that the people of God associate themselves with the kingdom of God. Remember, Jesus said, "seek first the kingdom of God." The holy people of God are praying that God will finally bring about his kingdom, and they memorialize and anticipate that time once a week.

Perhaps the controversy is centered on the following passage

Exodus 31:15-17
For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death. So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.’ It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed.”

It would appear that Sabbath observance is unique to the sons of Israel. God has never altered this covenant to include a Gentile believer as far as I know. Christians observe Sunday as a time of reading the scriptures and breaking bread together as a memorial looking backward toward the cross and the resurrection of Jesus from the dead on Sunday morning. But there shouldn't be any controversy if one bears in mind that Sabbath observance is forward looking, anticipating the kingdom of God when all of God's people enter their rest; whereas Sunday is the day we look backward to the cross, which made the whole thing possible.
Very well said, yes, I would concur to a large degree. ...but, just for the record, it's the death penalty that bewilders me.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you realise that dead people keep the commandments? Even the Sabbath? So what would that mean for those who are dead in Christ, but raised with Him?
Righteousness is doing what is right. Christ's righteousness is to be received by faith. Our actions reflect Christ's actions... His doing what is right. The commandments say do not do this, do not do that. Christ says do this, do that. We are judged by our works... By what we do... Not by what we do not do.
I'll let you fellas think about that for a while

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore, WHY all this wangling and wrangling to get rid of God's Law? YOU WOULD NOT THINK TO DO IF NOT YOU WANTED TO RID YOURSELF OF GOD'S SABBATH DAY COMMANDMENT.

I have no desire to “ Rid” myself of the Sabbath Day Commandment. As A matter of fact, I have taken that Commandment and improved upon it ! A True Christian UNDERSTANDS the Commandment to Rest and “ RESTS” every hour of every day. The only “Sabbathing” that God cares about, this side of the Cross, is for His Children to REST in the Finished Work Of The Cross.One who does that never has to worry about their Salvation ever again! They have the Assurance Of their Salvation that God wants them to have. Without Resting in what Jesus did — trying to “ rest” on your pitiful performance of trying to make yourself “ worthy” —- you will never be capable of giving God what He wants.....Love.A Love freely given as a Natural response for getting that terrible “ performance weight” off of your shoulders.
This Resting in the Gospel Of Grace Plus Nothing revealed to Paul by Jesus personally, is so important to God Because He knows that this Rest ( Knowing you are Saved forever by the Blood Of Christ Plus Nothing) is what drives Love — and LOVE is the ENGINE that drives Obedience!Fear can produce a certain type of “ obedience”, but God ain’t interested in that type. It’s better than nothing , but our God is much Bigger than that.This is why God made “ loving Him” the First Commandment .....Get That One Right and everything else will follow.....” Love God and live as you please” makes a lot of sense if you understand that Love for God is what should be the motivation for everything you think ,do or say....
As I said, this Rest that God Commands ( check out Heb. 3 an 4 ) is Of the utmost importance to God, because He has always known that it is the Key to everything He desires.He is so adamant about it, if you do not “ Sabbath” in the Gospel Of 1cor15:1-4, He considers you Guilty Of “ Disobedience and UNbelief”. VERY Serious Accusations!
Worrying about your Salvation all the time is the opposite of Resting or Sabbathing ....Always being fearful—- “Have I Done Enough, Have I repented Enough , have I been Obedient enough , have I made myself “ Worthy Enough” to enter those Golden Gates?”
Until one gets their eyes off of themselves and their pitiful Performances and starts looking to Jesus and HIS perfect Performance, they are as Lost as an Eskimo in Miami Beach on July 4th......It all comes down to this.....this is how one “ Sabbaths” or “ Rests”. You abandon ALL thoughts of trying to “ Be Worthy” and live your life TRUSTING that you are “ MADE WORTHY” by the Shed Blood Of Jesus Christ . Two things Save.....Christ’s Blood and Our Faith! Sabbath in that.Stop Worshipping The Shadow ( the Sabbath day) and start Worshipping the SUBSTANCE of that Shadow — JESUS CHRIST !

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no desire to “ Rid” myself of the Sabbath Day Commandment. As A matter of fact, I have taken that Commandment and improved upon it ! A True Christian UNDERSTANDS the Commandment to Rest and “ RESTS” every hour of every day. The only “Sabbathing” that God cares about, this side of the Cross, is for His Children to REST in the Finished Work Of The Cross.One who does that never has to worry about their Salvation ever again! They have the Assurance Of their Salvation that God wants them to have. Without Resting in what Jesus did — trying to “ rest” on your pitiful performance of trying to make yourself “ worthy” —- you will never be capable of giving God what He wants.....Love.A Love freely given as a Natural response for getting that terrible “ performance weight” off of your shoulders.
This Resting in the Gospel Of Grace Plus Nothing revealed to Paul by Jesus personally, is so important to God Because He knows that this Rest ( Knowing you are Saved forever by the Blood Of Christ Plus Nothing) is what drives Love — and LOVE is the ENGINE that drives Obedience!Fear can produce a certain type of “ obedience”, but God ain’t interested in that type. It’s better than nothing , but our God is much Bigger than that.This is why God made “ loving Him” the First Commandment .....Get That One Right and everything else will follow.....” Love God and live as you please” makes a lot of sense if you understand that Love for God is what should be the motivation for everything you think ,do or say....
As I said, this Rest that God Commands ( check out Heb. 3 an 4 ) is Of the utmost importance to God, because He has always known that it is the Key to everything He desires.He is so adamant about it, if you do not “ Sabbath” in the Gospel Of 1cor15:1-4, He considers you Guilty Of “ Disobedience and UNbelief”. VERY Serious Accusations!
Worrying about your Salvation all the time is the opposite of Resting or Sabbathing ....Always being fearful—- “Have I Done Enough, Have I repented Enough , have I been Obedient enough , have I made myself “ Worthy Enough” to enter those Golden Gates?”
Until one gets their eyes off of themselves and their pitiful Performances and starts looking to Jesus and HIS perfect Performance, they are as Lost as an Eskimo in Miami Beach on July 4th......It all comes down to this.....this is how one “ Sabbaths” or “ Rests”. You abandon ALL thoughts of trying to “ Be Worthy” and live your life TRUSTING that you are “ MADE WORTHY” by the Shed Blood Of Jesus Christ . Two things Save.....Christ’s Blood and Our Faith! Sabbath in that.Stop Worshipping The Shadow ( the Sabbath day) and start Worshipping the SUBSTANCE of that Shadow — JESUS CHRIST
Start to say WHAT Scripture says, and there won't be anything to say for me. But as long as I SEE you say anything that is NOT Scripture, I'll let you have everything I have against you.

Try this, what I also have been trying all my life: By quoting nothing but Scripture, try to not comment at all.

Reactions: justbyfaith

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you realise that dead people keep the commandments? Even the Sabbath? So what would that mean for those who are dead in Christ, but raised with Him?
Righteousness is doing what is right. Christ's righteousness is to be received by faith. Our actions reflect Christ's actions... His doing what is right. The commandments say do not do this, do not do that. Christ says do this, do that. We are judged by our works... By what we do... Not by what we do not do.
I'll let you fellas think about that for a while

We will be “ Judged” by “Paul’s Gospel”.

King James Bible
“In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to MY GOSPEL.”
Romans chapter two.....

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We will be “ Judged” by “Paul’s Gospel”.

King James Bible
“In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to MY GOSPEL.”
Romans chapter two.....
Paul is saying that the gospel he teaches showed that all will be judged by Jesus Christ. Jesus taught He will judge us by our works, as did others such as Solomon.