• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ten Commandment ARE the Old Covenant. Exodus 34:28. We are not under the Ten Commandments, nor the Sabbath law.

Jeremiah 31:
31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”
How do we know what is immoral?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly, praise God He gave me 'The Story of His Creation' in <for dummies> format because I am such dummy still and forever, dear Lord, in the things pertaining Thy Power and Glory. And again, how absolutely RIGHT you are, my Book gives the very condensed version it's Divine breathed there's nothing missing in it necessary for INSTRUCTION IN RIGHTEOUSNESS. Which one finds most clearly and simple, not in <Genesis 1-3> as a whole, but most clearly and focused on, in chapter 3 about the fall and GOD'S REDEEMING LOVE in action through Jesus Christ from 3 verse 8 to 24. Exactly where you find out it was past the Sixth Day "WHEN IN THE COOL OF DAY THE EVENING the LORD COMING WALKING IN THE GARDEN they heard His Voice ("in the beginning was The Word") and the LORD CALLED the man"... who had sinned and hid himself in SELF-RIGHTEOUSNESS for the first thing he answers his Creator with was to BLAME HIM for his sinning – and thus kept on sinning as from day one as that is all he has been doing ever since!!

That, great sage, is what my Bible for Babies teaches me; I don't know what it teaches YOU, though, Little Knowing Roulette. Everybody thinks they can beat the wheel - uh - Book. Hehehehe

If you read your bible you would know Adam did not fall on the sixth day!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I kindly ask you, what does the Law offer us in any way that Christ's Words and teachings do not cover much more superbly?
The ten commandments are Christ's words. The apostle Paul said that he would not have known sin except that the commandment pointed it out. The first-century Christian's didn't even have what you call "Christ's words."

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The ten commandments are Christ's words. The apostle Paul said that he would not have known sin except that the commandment pointed it out. The first-century Christian's didn't even have what you call "Christ's words."
1. I have already posted what Paul said about the Law....sin came by the law. For apart from law, sin is dead. Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died.
2. The laws you are referring to are summaries and there are 14 of them. And God never called them commandments. The ten laws that God called commandments and were written on the tablets of the testimony are a different set laws.
3. When Christ was talking to the Jews, He called them their laws.

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses would have never been saved for his works......

I agree. No one can be saved by their works. Your saved by grace. Will those people be saved who forget the works of God?

PSALM 78
[1] Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
[2] I WILL OPEN MY MOUTH IN A PARABLE: I will utter dark sayings of old:
[3] Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.
[4] We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.
[5] For HE ESTABLISHED A TESTIMONY IN JACOB, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:
[6] That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:
[7] THAT THEY MIGHT SET THEIR HOPE IN GOD, AND NOT FORGET THE WORKS OF GOD, BUT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS:

Who opened His mouth in parables?

Reactions: BarneyFife

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it was the spirit of the Law that deserves no place in Christianity....

See Romans 7:6, 2 Corinthians 3:6.

As for the rest of your post, there is a context to every thing that you stated about the OT law as a disparagement upon it. So, I would suggest that you give chapter and verse when you talk about those things so that a man can look up the context of what you are talking about.

For example, God told the Israelites to wipe out the nations of the land that were before them because if they were allowed to survive, they would corrupt the Israelites with their pagan practices and the eventual result would be such abominations as sacrificing their children to Molech. Therefore the Lord commanded an apparent evil in order to prevent a greater evil.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As for the rest of your post, there is a context to every thing that you stated about the OT law as a disparagement upon it. So, I would suggest that you give chapter and verse when you talk about those things so that a man can look up the context of what you are talking about.

For example, God told the Israelites to wipe out the nations of the land that were before them because if they were allowed to survive, they would corrupt the Israelites with their pagan practices and the eventual result would be such abominations as sacrificing their children to Molech. Therefore the Lord commanded an apparent evil in order to prevent a greater evil.
it was the spirit of the Law that deserves no place in Christianity....

JBF...blessings on you.
They can look up the verses themselves….do them some good to read the Bible. Too many times they talk about things they have no clue about.

As it was then…as it is now! But we do it as Christians. Bush was bombing Iraq with food and medicines for the people, as he was bombing their army, but still respecting the territory as theirs. Abominations fill the world. Women get naked and lay down on an altar for a monster to get between their legs and murder their babies. But no matter how evil it is, our response as Christians has to have a certain amount of integrity and valor.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By the Spirit who has given us the divine nature.
When remote missionaries find savage tribes, do you think the Spirit instructs them all by Himself? Or do you think perhaps the workers linger to preach and teach for a while? :)

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? (Romans 10:14)

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When remote missionaries find savage tribes, do you think the Spirit instructs them all by Himself? Or do you think perhaps the workers linger to preach and teach for a while? :)

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? (Romans 10:14)

They should preach the gospel, the ministry of the Spirit. Only through the Spirit are the two eternal laws of loving God with all your heart, mind and body, and your neighbor as yourself written on their hearts. The divine nature would never murder, so it is not necessary to tell them not to murder.

Look at the first promise of the New Covenant in Jeremiah 31.

31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

Can you see that the Covenant has nothing to do with the old covenant? The New Covenant changes our whole nature. That is what Christ meant when He said He would free us from sin. John 8:34-36. It is actually the sin nature he destroyed that spews out sin left and right. That is what is dead. Romans 6:2

BarnyFife, does your church have Vespers on Friday nights? I used to love that. I remember when I was young 65 years ago, all the women wore their hair in curlers to church!

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree. No one can be saved by their works. Your saved by grace. Will those people be saved who forget the works of God?

PSALM 78
[1] Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
[2] I WILL OPEN MY MOUTH IN A PARABLE: I will utter dark sayings of old:
[3] Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.
[4] We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.
[5] For HE ESTABLISHED A TESTIMONY IN JACOB, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:
[6] That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:
[7] THAT THEY MIGHT SET THEIR HOPE IN GOD, AND NOT FORGET THE WORKS OF GOD, BUT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS:

Who opened His mouth in parables?
A lot of the Psalms are prophetic and Psalm 78 is one of them. Verse 2 says "I will speak in parables I will tell of old sayings." This happened when Jesus (God) came to his people.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The divine nature would never murder, so it is not necessary to tell them not to murder.

Those who do not have the divine nature need the law that says "Do not murder" to tell them that they are sinners in need of a Saviour over the fact that they have murder in their hearts.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It took a long time? 6 days is a long time?
We have spoken of this before. The Hebrew word yome means a period of time, anything from a few hours to eternity. This is particularly relevant at creation before the planets had settled into their present orbits around the sun. To give an idea of the immensity of the universe, it takes millions of years for light to reach us from distant planets. Light travels at something like 600,000 million miles a second, please forgive me if my memory has failed me it is a long time since I did physics.

The stars did not appear until day four, and seeing as light travels so fast, billions of years will have elapsed between day one and the light from the stars appearing here on earth by day four.

I'm going back to bed, it is 2 am here.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who do not have the divine nature need the law that says "Do not murder" to tell them that they are sinners in need of a Saviour over the fact that they have murder in their hearts.

Come on JBF you are smarter than this. Christ did not teach the elementary levels of morals. The moral standards that Christ taught are mountains compared to the moral mounds of the law. And in spirit, mounds of manure! Don't teach Christians to look at the morality of the law....it only takes away from the perfect teachings of Christ.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, as there is no difference between <the hopeless Religion Of Judaism> and the hopeless Religion of 'Christian' self-righteousness.

The “ Self-Righteous” Christian does not exist.....That term would best describe a deceived Religionist —- a Fool That “ APES” the Behavior Of a True Christian Without the indwelling Holy Spirit That Transforms Behavior .....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think what Blood Bought meant by this:

Blood Bought 1953 said:
...Commandments that God knew all along could not be kept.....

is that the Jews still had the sin nature in them. Romans 7:13. The law was holy, but man was carnal since Adam's sin, even with the law, thus the struggle of Romans 7:14-23. The carnal nature was in opposition to the holy law.

That sin nature had to be changed, and the desire to sin eradicated, and that was done through Jesus filling us with His sinless Spirit. Romans 8:1-9, 1 John 3:5-9, and 1 John 5:18. It is called being born again, and Jesus said, "ye MUST be born again." In other words, partake of the divine nature, 2 Peter 1:2-4, and 5-11

Sounds like me .....lol.....well put ....thanks ....