The thief on the cross was born of water and of the Spirit — Rightly dividing the word of truth.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
Friends, please understand that Jesus Christ:

"...Was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers..."
— (Romans 15:8).

He said so himself:

"...I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
— (Matthew 15:24).

That is why he commanded his apostles saying:

"...Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
— (Matthew 10:5-6).

And that is what the thief on the cross was! A lost sheep of the house of Israel. He was already born of water and of the Spirit. We know this because the house of Israel:

"...Were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea..."
— (1 Corinthians 10:1-2).

This is how they were born of water (sea) and of the Spirit (cloud). As Jesus Christ said:

"...Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."
— (John 3:5).

And after his resurrection, Jesus Christ showed unto his apostles that:

"...Repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."
— (Luke 24:47).

And that is what the apostles preached when the New Testament began on the day of pentecost:

"...Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."
— (Acts 2:38-39).

As it is written:

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
— (Romans 10:13).

Baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is therefore for the remission of sins. Because the blood of Jesus Christ is:

"...Shed for many for the remission of sins."
— (Matthew 26:28).

It is written again:

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
— (Acts 4:12).

Amen.

Last edited:
Reactions: gpresdo

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"...Was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers..."

He said so himself:

"...Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

And that is what the thief on the cross was! A lost sheep of the house of Israel. He was already born of water and of the Spirit. We know this because the house of Israel:

"...Were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea..."

This is how they were born of water (sea) and of the Spirit (cloud). As Jesus Christ said:

"...Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

"...Repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem."

And that is what the apostles preached when the New Testament began on the day of pentecost:

"...Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

As it is written:

Baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is therefore for the remission of sins. Because the blood of Jesus Christ was:

It is written again:

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Amen.
I don’t disagree with most of what you wrote….. but it wasn’t either of the thieves that were forgiven….both of them cast the same in His Jesus’s teeth.

Mat 27:44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

The word thieves should be translated robbers.

The KJV has thieves which is a horrible translation (many other versions got it right). The Greeks use an entirely different word for a thief which is kleptes…. and it means, one who acts stealthily…. (kleptes is not used in this account). The Greek word lēstēs = robber, is used throughout this account of the crucifixion. A robber is one who openly plans his dirty work using violence if necessary.

As you will see from Luke there were two malefactors (dyo kakourgos) crucified with Jesus and later after an unknown amount of time, two thieves (robbers) (dyo lēstēs) were brought to be put to death.

Luk 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

Luk 23:40
But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

Luk 23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

The Word of God tells us nothing about the malefactor except that he was ..in essence promised that he would be with Jesus in Paradise …which takes place in Revelation after the resurrection of the Just.

We don’t need to put a spin on John_3:5 because Jesus clarifies what He said in John_3:6

Jhn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Jhn 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

• Love
Reactions: Jillo
Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
Wild, and un-Scriptural.
I don’t disagree with most of what you wrote….. but it wasn’t either of the thieves that were forgiven….both of them cast the same in His Jesus’s teeth.

Mat 27:44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

The KJV has thieves which is a horrible translation (many other versions got it right). The Greeks use an entirely different word for a thief which is kleptes…. and it means, one who acts stealthily…. (kleptes is not used in this account). The Greek word lēstēs = robber, is used throughout this account of the crucifixion. A robber is one who openly plans his dirty work using violence if necessary.

As you will see from Luke there were two malefactors (dyo kakourgos) crucified with Jesus and later after an unknown amount of time, two thieves (robbers) (dyo lēstēs) were brought to be put to death.

Luk 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

Luk 23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

The Word of God tells us nothing about the malefactor except that he was ..in essence promised that he would be with Jesus in Paradise …which takes place in Revelation after the resurrection of the Just.

We don’t need to put a spin on John_3:5 because Jesus clarifies what He said in John_3:6

Jhn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Jhn 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
Another spirit has definitely gotten ahold of you. I'd almost bet you thought you had discovered some 'new and improved' salvation doctrine with your silly theory against The Word of God!

According to your silly theory, even those of the GAINSAY OF CORE that God caused an earthquake and destroyed, were saved under the cloud and water of the Red Sea parting events. Yet GOD DESTROYED KORAH AND HIS REBELLIOUS FOLLOWERS!

Num 16:19-33
19 And Korah gathered all the congregation against them unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto all the congregation.
20 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,
21 "Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment."
22 And they fell upon their faces, and said, "O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt Thou be wroth with all the congregation?"
23 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
24 "Speak unto the congregation, saying, 'Get you up from about the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram.'"
25 And Moses rose up and went unto Dathan and Abiram; and the elders of Israel followed him.
26 And he spake unto the congregation, saying, "Depart, I pray you, from the tents of these wicked men, and touch nothing of theirs, lest ye be consumed in all their sins."
27 So they gat up from the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, on every side: and Dathan and Abiram came out, and stood in the door of their tents, and their wives, and their sons, and their little children.
28 And Moses said, "Hereby ye shall know that the LORD hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind.
29 If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men; then the LORD hath not sent me.
30 But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD."
31 And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them:
32 And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods.
33 They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation.
KJV

Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
Another spirit has definitely gotten ahold of you. I'd almost bet you thought you had discovered some 'new and improved' salvation doctrine with your silly theory against The Word of God!

According to your silly theory, even those of the GAINSAY OF CORE that God caused an earthquake and destroyed, were saved under the cloud and water of the Red Sea parting events. Yet GOD DESTROYED KORAH AND HIS REBELLIOUS FOLLOWERS!

Num 16:19-33
19 And Korah gathered all the congregation against them unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto all the congregation.
20 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,
21 "Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment."
22 And they fell upon their faces, and said, "O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt Thou be wroth with all the congregation?"
23 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
24 "Speak unto the congregation, saying, 'Get you up from about the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram.'"
25 And Moses rose up and went unto Dathan and Abiram; and the elders of Israel followed him.
26 And he spake unto the congregation, saying, "Depart, I pray you, from the tents of these wicked men, and touch nothing of theirs, lest ye be consumed in all their sins."
27 So they gat up from the tabernacle of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, on every side: and Dathan and Abiram came out, and stood in the door of their tents, and their wives, and their sons, and their little children.
28 And Moses said, "Hereby ye shall know that the LORD hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind.
29 If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men; then the LORD hath not sent me.
30 But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD."
31 And it came to pass, as he had made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them:
32 And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods.
33 They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation.
KJV
He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him. A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself. The Lord rebuke thee, child of the devil. Fill up then the measure of your wicked fathers.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden

Again, sir, only a child of the devil (theologian) could come up with the nonsense you have written here by the witchcraft of theology. The word of the LORD is unto you precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that you might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

• Sad
Reactions: Jillo and rwb

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, sir, only a child of the devil (theologian) could come up with the nonsense you have written here by the witchcraft of theology. The word of the LORD is unto you precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that you might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Thank you for the inspirational words of encouragement …they are enlightening.

When someone retorts such as you did (with no scriptural reference) I know I have struck a nerve in religious doctrine.

Religious teachings (when matched against Truth) don’t have a leg to stand on…. so the daggers come out in forms of words in effort to mutilate the messenger’s character. But when the message is the Truth of the Word… the messenger stands strong and unharmed with the full armor of God.

Reactions: rwb

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He said so himself:

As it is written:

Baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is therefore for the remission of sins. Because the blood of Jesus Christ is:

It is written again:

Amen.
Water baptism was very new to God's people in those days sir, and the thief on the stauros was not even one of Jesus' disciples, it was highly unlikely he had been baptized in water.

Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
Water baptism was very new to God's people in those days sir, and the thief on the stauros was not even one of Jesus' disciples, it was highly unlikely he had been baptized in water.
He was a lost sheep of the house of Israel. I don't know what a stauros is. That is not an english word, sir. Salvation is of the Jews. (Matthew 15:24). There was no new Testament. It began on the day of pentecost.

• Sad
Reactions: Jillo

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The assumption that the thief on the cross next to Jesus was born of the Spirit has no basis in Scripture. It is wishful thinking.

Of course he was "born of water" because he was alive. All humans are "born of water".

Reactions: David in NJ

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If the lost sheep of the house of Israel includes all who were baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea, why did the vast majority of them die in the wilderness in unbelief?

Hebrews 3:16-19 (KJV) For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses. But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Jun 20, 2023
Stockholm
Faith
Christian
Country
Sweden
If the lost sheep of the house of Israel includes all who were baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea, why did the vast majority of them die in the wilderness in unbelief?

Hebrews 3:16-19 (KJV) For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses. But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness? And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
You have answered your own question.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He said so himself:

As it is written:

It is written again:

Amen.
The Thief was saved by faith in the New Covenant.

• Love
Reactions: rwb

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him. A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself. The Lord rebuke thee, child of the devil. Fill up then the measure of your wicked fathers.
You simply are being stubborn by not doing enough Bible study to confirm that doctrine of yours, and to God, stubbornness is equal to rebellion.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was a lost sheep of the house of Israel. I don't know what a stauros is. That is not an english word, sir. Salvation is of the Jews. (Matthew 15:24). There was no new Testament. It began on the day of pentecost.
Yes the thief was an Israelite I believe, but of course not baptized. You are correct, stauros is not an English word, it is the word that was in the original Bible which I use to be accurate, because the probability is that Jesus did not die on a cross, rather he likely died on the actual definition of stauros which is stake. Cross was a later day addition to versions of the Bible, and many have idolized it.

Salvation comes through Jesus, it began with the Jews since they were God's covenanted people, now it is only through the Christian faith.

I fully agree there is no new testament, that was an addition to simplify and help in understanding. The Bible is simply that the Bible, with all it's 66 books.

Yes the new covenant, now called Christianity did go into effect on Pentecost of the year 33. I commend you for your knowledge sir.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes the thief was an Israelite I believe, but of course not baptized. You are correct, stauros is not an English word, it is the word that was in the original Bible which I use to be accurate, because the probability is that Jesus did not die on a cross, rather he likely died on the actual definition of stauros which is stake. Cross was a later day addition to versions of the Bible, and many have idolized it.

Salvation comes through Jesus, it began with the Jews since they were God's covenanted people, now it is only through the Christian faith.

I fully agree there is no new testament, that was an addition to simplify and help in understanding. The Bible is simply that the Bible, with all it's 66 books.

Yes the new covenant, now called Christianity did go into effect on Pentecost of the year 33. I commend you for your knowledge sir.
Careful...scripture does not tell us that the Thief was NOT baptized. Maybe I have missed it...please show scripture?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Careful...scripture does not tell us that the Thief was NOT baptized. Maybe I have missed it...please show scripture?
The scripture does not say either way, which is very important to the subject matter.

Leaving out whether he was or was not leads us to focus on The Most Important Message = the NEW Covenant

Salvation is not thru water baptism.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture does not say either way, which is very important to the subject matter.

Leaving out whether he was or was not leads us to focus on The Most Important Message = the NEW Covenant

Salvation is not thru water baptism.
Baptism is required.