The Way Preterists Understand Prophecy - The Who, What, Where and When

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hermeneutics

Nov 29, 2019
western arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The passages below were to first prophecy I actually could understand. I am only trying to show you what God, and others, have shown me.
Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
You, my disciples, do ye see the temple? This temple shall be destroyed completely.

Signs of the End of the Age

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

The disciples want to know when will these things happen?
Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you
(my disciples right there beside Jesus)
Mat 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Mat 24:6 And ye (my disciples right here beside me)shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye(my disciples right here beside me) be not troubled: for all
these things must come to pass (the temple will be totally destroyed), but the end is not yet.
Mat 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. (There will be many problems during this time!)
Mat 24:8 All these
are the beginning of sorrows. (These are just the beginning)
Mat 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. You, my disciples, standing right here beside me, shall be hurt and even killed.
Mat 24:10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
Mat 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
Mat 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

The disciples did preach the message of Jesus to all the known world before the destruction of the temple and the end of the age that came in their generation. 70AD

The Abomination of Desolation
Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) (Who ever is reading this, understand this and the following)
Mat 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
Mat 24:17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
Mat 24:18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
Mat 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

Mat 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. (the beginning of the age to this time, in the desciples generation)
Mat 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
Mat 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here
is Christ, or there; believe it not.
Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if
it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Mat 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.
The 'you' are the disciples
Mat 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
Mat 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Mat 24:28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

The Coming of the Son of Man

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
This rapture happened immediately after the fulfillment of what Jesus had just said to his disciples! In 70 AD.

The Lesson of the Fig Tree
Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
Mat 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near,
even at the doors.
Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
Jesus said to his disciples standing right there, your generation, shall not pass away until it be fulfilled. It happened in 70 AD, still in their generation.

Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. The Temple, where God and man did meet, shall pass away. Again, it did.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well done. Unfortunately, without an open mind, very little of this will be understood by people hell-bent on resisting it. It is more the "Them vs. Us" mentality that precludes the ability to see things in certain ways... and also digs people in to see them in ONLY one way, be they Preterist or Futurist.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only,
in Hermeneutics one have the near/far implications and applications in prophetic passages. as in the example in your OP, was this at hand or "This Generation?", was it audience relevance?

let me give an example, you said,
The Coming of the Son of Man

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
This rapture happened immediately after the fulfillment of what Jesus had just said to his disciples! In 70 AD.

ok, has the Son of man came yet?
" Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom". I ask any, "has the son of man come yet?" anyone can answer.

now notice, the Lord Jesus was speaking audience relevance to his disciples. the implication are clear,

A. either the Son of man has come. or

B. there is some very, very old people still waiting unto his return.

so has the son of Man returned?

PICJAG.

Reactions: Willie T

hermeneutics

Nov 29, 2019
western arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only,
in Hermeneutics one have the near/far implications and applications in prophetic passages. as in the example in your OP, was this at hand or "This Generation?", was it audience relevance?

let me give an example, you said,

ok, has the Son of man came yet?
" Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom". I ask any, "has the son of man come yet?" anyone can answer.

now notice, the Lord Jesus was speaking audience relevance to his disciples. the implication are clear,

A. either the Son of man has come. or

B. there is some very, very old people still waiting unto his return.

so has the son of Man returned?

PICJAG.
Yes, Jesus came to end the AGE of LAW in 70 AD. At that time the rapture of the dead happened.

This age will never end.
Eph_3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

That doesn't mean that Jesus will not come again.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Jesus came to end the AGE of LAW in 70 AD. At that time the rapture of the children of Israel happened.

This age will never end.
Eph_3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Yes, Jesus came to end the AGE of LAW in 70 AD. At that time the rapture of the children of Israel happened.

This age will never end.

well if that's the case, you said, "That doesn't mean that Jesus will not come again". well he came, or will come only twice, supportive scripture, Hebrews 9:28 "So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation". so hermeneutics, you said, "Yes, Jesus came to end the AGE of LAW in 70 AD. At that time the rapture of the children of Israel happened". ok, is this the second time Jesus appeared as Hebrews 9:28 claims? yes or no.

I want to be sure, for Hebrews 9:28 states he will appear only two times. so did this second apperance happen in AD 70 yes or no?

PICJAG.

hermeneutics

Nov 29, 2019
western arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well if that's the case, you said, "That doesn't mean that Jesus will not come again". well he came, or will come only twice, supportive scripture, Hebrews 9:28 "So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation". so hermeneutics, you said, "Yes, Jesus came to end the AGE of LAW in 70 AD. At that time the rapture of the children of Israel happened". ok, is this the second time Jesus appeared as Hebrews 9:28 claims? yes or no.

I want to be sure, for Hebrews 9:28 states he will appear only two times. so did this second apperance happen in AD 70 yes or no?

PICJAG.

Jesus came again in 70 AD, when temple was destroyed.
Hebrews was written before 70 AD.

hermeneutics

Nov 29, 2019
western arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Co 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

The above are the gifts of the Spirit. I did not know that I was asking for the gift of knowledge when I prayed to God that He would give me the answer to my son's question. Which was "What is Preterism?" I asked him "what is preterism?" I went about it by reading everything I could find about preterism". After several months I understood, fairly well, preterism. I told my boy and I will tell you, "it is not a salvation issue" God has, since then, given me answers to many of my questions, and in every case "they are not salvation issues" they are for my knowledge. I can share, but I can not give you understanding, only God can!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus came again in 70 AD, when temple was destroyed.
Hebrews was written before 70 AD.
ok, so the Lord Jesus came in AD 70 right, if that's the case, Then some of these writers should have recorded an event such as this, (his return). for these books, according to the scholars, were written after AD 70.
John--A.D. 80-90
1 John--A.D. 90-95
2 John--A.D. 90-95
3 John--A.D. 90-95
Revelation--A.D. 94-96

even with the book of Revelation dating in question, makes no difference, yet it is written, be ye it before 70 AD, or After, Revelation 1:7 it states, "every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him". so I'm sure someone would have recorded that event, church wise or secular. with a world wide event of such magnitude someone some where would have recorded this event. if you have such writting, please post them. even the Jewish historian and writer josephus, outside the biblical writting, has nothing on Jesus appearing in 70 AD. but if you have something else, please post it.

but also we have another problen. the Son of Man, JESUS, in Spirit came on Pentecost. but did he appear as Hebrews 9:28 states? no, he manifested in the Spiritual Gifts that was poured out. so the Son of man came in Spirit. but according to Hebrew 9:28 he will "APPEAR" only twice. this coming of him in Spirit leave open the door of his second "apperance" so if you can produce some written evidence that Jesus the Son of man returned in "apperance" in 70 AD, then your point is mute.

PICJAG

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Those who expound Bible Prophecy, are part of the current generation which is mainly corrupt and ungodly. [as in the days of Noah]

They try to convince us that the cumulative research over the last century now yields a better understanding of the things of God. Conversely, our ancient Scriptures themselves do not say there will be an increase in understanding and discernment during the end times. The Bible prophets say that many will be deceived and will follow false teachings and only a few will understand. Daniel 12:10

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. 1 Cor 3:18-20

Matthew 11:25 I thank You, Father for hiding the truth from the wise and revealing it to the simple.

At the time of Jesus, the people the Lord had selected to convey His Words to the rest of human kind failed to understand God’s plan and were deceived to the degree that they arrange to brutally execute the Son of God who loved them.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Isaiah 53:3

Instead of telling us that mankind will progressively draw near to God because of our ability to assimilate and wisely apply knowledge to our circumstances, the Word of God tells us the Christians will repeat the ancient sin of Israel, and embrace lies.

2 Timothy 4:3-4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 Thessalonians 2:11-10 For this cause, God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….because they received not the love of the truth.

Theological error isn’t random. In this regard, the Greek word in our New Testament, rendered delusion, and it is the Lord Himself who delivers that delusion to those He deems appropriate.

This means it is a deluding error, which the Lord Himself sends, to those who want - no: who demand God to remove them, before any holy discipline; Hebrews 12:4-13 and they reject the Spirit of humbleness which would draw them to the truth.

This fulfils an Old Testament prophecy, which is in the context of the end times:

I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spoke, they did not hear: but they did evil before My eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not. Isaiah 66:4

The reason the Lord places a delusion upon people, is because they practice insincere worship and maintain wrong doctrines, Isaiah 58:5 and have confused themselves by believing fiction and false teachings. Isaiah 29:9-12