The Work of The Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So are you saying God asked Israel to do the impossible? Was not forgiveness also available to them when they erred if they repented?

The True Law is the Eternal Law of Love. It has been so from the very beginning.

With God all things are possible. But without Jesus we can do nothing.

Mankind was incapable of conforming to God's ways in holiness until Jesus came to give His life to do it with. Jesus is the way...the truth AND the life we are to abide in to fulfill all righteousness...including that which is inside holiness.

Reactions: faithfulness

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One cannot always count on it in this life. I rather think he may have had the chance to repent after his death; his death was meant to instill respect in all Israel.

I see what you're saying. And it is supported by the fact that Moses, who failed to display Gods holiness to the people, was seen at the transfiguration. He wasn't allowed to enter the promised land, but somehow, he was still accepted. He failed at holiness but God accepted him. Why?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But I believe your construct assumes that we now have the power to fulfill the law perfectly (as opposed to only partially in the OT), yes?

You hold that we can fulfill the law perfectly? I think that Jesus came to put an end to continual sacrifices for sin, and greater grace has been bestowed to confirm the gospel that He is man's redemption. But to say He died that we might walk in sinless perfection is something I've never been able to get my head around, theologically OR practically, LoL.

And yet a man....Jesus ...did it. So when we enter into Him we do exactly as He did. It is like...anything that Jesus can do...I can do in Him.

Did Jesus not have real physical limbs? Yet these limbs were able to walk on water because they were part of Him. The physical human feet of Jesus walked on water. How? By being attached to Jesus.

That very same thing happens when we enter INTO Christ to be HIS body here on earth. We do as Jesus did...walking as He walked.

1 John2:6 He that says he abides in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I believe your construct assumes that we now have the power to fulfill the law perfectly (as opposed to only partially in the OT), yes?

You hold that we can fulfill the law perfectly? I think that Jesus came to put an end to continual sacrifices for sin, and greater grace has been bestowed to confirm the gospel that He is man's redemption. But to say He died that we might walk in sinless perfection is something I've never been able to get my head around, theologically OR practically, LoL.
Those continual sacrifices for sin got added after Israel said they did not want to hear the Voice of God.

Jeremiah 7:22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:
23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.
24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.

The animal sacrifices were allowed temporarily, that is all. Many Jews believed (as do many Christians today) that they "fixed" sins. Not so. They only removed the "uncleanness" that came from sinning. People had to repent; and if they did, God would forgive them. That still left them unclean however.

Isaiah 1 also helps clear up the matter. God took no delight in animal sacrifices; and if people thought they were free to sin and then fix it by sacrificing animals, they were making the sacrifices into abominations.

Isaiah 1:11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.
16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see what you're saying. And it is supported by the fact that Moses, who failed to display Gods holiness to the people, was seen at the transfiguration. He wasn't allowed to enter the promised land, but somehow, he was still accepted. He failed at holiness but God accepted him. Why?
Some failures are beyond being repaired in this life even if we repent. Thus Moses paid a price; but I don't think it meant he failed, in the end, at holiness. There is always room for forgiveness with God even if some things can't be fixed in worldly terms.

Reactions: Helen

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some failures are beyond being repaired in this life even if we repent. Thus Moses paid a price; but I don't think it meant he failed, in the end, at holiness. There is always room for forgiveness with God even if some things can't be fixed in worldly terms.

Or...maybe, as it says, he really did fail at holiness, but was accepted in for some other reason? Maybe righteousness?

Reactions: Giuliano

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't hold that it is experientially feasible or attainable that we can abide in Christ 100% of the time, without fail, for the rest of our earthly lives.

It seems doubtful to me too, when I look around me and in me. But it's some pretty good news that God accepts righteous men. If you think its doubtful that you can remain in Him at all times without stumbling in trust, you just repent of your unbelief and mistrust, get back up and continue to run again. Its a race of trust we are running. It is possible to race to win while simultaneously knowing you have an Advocate if you stumble.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So...entering the promised land equates to entering into/abiding in/remaining in, Jesus. And it is all through trust. But we have many areas of mistrust.

We are in the wilderness currently. The place of the testing and growing of our trust. We are learning the obedience of trust. Hopefully. Israel kept refusing to trust and do what God said. I see a lot of that with us too, worry over money and provision rather than trust.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we don't all have the same areas of mistrust. Some people may have never had the monumental struggle I did with provision. They might struggle to trust in...ill health or...the death of a loved one.

But I think anger at times is common to all of us, no matter what our particular testing of trust is in...

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems doubtful to me too, when I look around me and in me. But it's some pretty good news that God accepts righteous men. If you think its doubtful that you can remain in Him at all times without stumbling in trust, you just repent of your unbelief and mistrust, get back up and continue to run again. Its a race of trust we are running. It is possible to race to win while simultaneously knowing you have an Advocate if you stumble.
Going out on a limb ~ but as @Not me would say...my heart leapt for joy with such an encouraging word! ThankYou Spirit of Grace in stunnedbygrace.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Work of the Holy Spirit is to "HELP" which gives "Comfort".
John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."
so the Holy Spirit have two functions in this verse.
A. teach us all things.
B. and bring all thing to our remembrance from what is written, why did I say this, because what he said is written, but everything he did is not all recorded. supportive scripture, John 21:24 "This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true." John 21:25 "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."

so the above scripture states "all he "DID", not all he said, but did. so we have the records of what the Lord Said. knowing that, it is the Holy Spirit that hold all we need to know, for he is the revelator.

now, knowing that, a helper is one who don't do it for you, but help you do it. so if you're not doing anything the helper has nothing to do.
if one is not studying the bible .... with the Holy Spirit, then the Holy Spirit has nothing to reveal. so ask the Spirit to help you, for ye have not because ye ask not.

PICJAG.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet a man....Jesus ...did it. So when we enter into Him we do exactly as He did. It is like...anything that Jesus can do...I can do in Him.

Did Jesus not have real physical limbs? Yet these limbs were able to walk on water because they were part of Him. The physical human feet of Jesus walked on water. How? By being attached to Jesus.

That very same thing happens when we enter INTO Christ to be HIS body here on earth. We do as Jesus did...walking as He walked.

1 John2:6 He that says he abides in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

I know. And moment by moment I believe all things to be possible in Christ. But as I was saying at the end of my next post, "I do believe we should always strive to abide in Him continually, as He is our hope. But to be able to do so continually without fail might blur the lines between God and His creation, which to me is something I don't think He [God] ever intended to do."

What do you think? Agree or no?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wonderful post!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So...entering the promised land equates to entering into/abiding in/remaining in, Jesus. And it is all through trust. But we have many areas of mistrust.

We are in the wilderness currently. The place of the testing and growing of our trust. We are learning the obedience of trust. Hopefully. Israel kept refusing to trust and do what God said. I see a lot of that with us too, worry over money and provision rather than trust.

And desire to return to the things of the world.

You're outdoing yourself this morning, sister. Those are some good posts : )

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To those who have made comments to my posts: I'm away from home for a few days and don't have the time or facilities to respond as they require.
By the time I'm back I expect the discussion will have moved on too far to catch up.
So I will leave it there.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To those who have made comments to my posts: I'm away from home for a few days and don't have the time or facilities to respond as they require.
By the time I'm back I expect the discussion will have moved on too far to catch up.
So I will leave it there.
We can wait. Pick up where you left off. It will be fine. Enjoy!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THis is crazy stuff.

John 4:13-14 says nothing about baptism with living water
In Rev 22:1 Jesus doesn't say he is the river of life.
Jesus is not Living water - the Holy Spirit is (John 7:39)
Jesus is not the Spirit of righteousness

You just make stuff up..
Sometimes we do not understand things that others do understand or our understanding is completely different than theirs. Understanding this, should we not be very slow to conclude that they are making things up? Of course you believe you are right, as we all do, but perhaps she believes that she is, even if you don't understand or agree with her words. Are you a qualified judge? Am I? Who but God is?

After some were sent by priests and Pharisees to take hold of Jesus they came back without him. When questioned by their superiors, they answered, "Never man spake like this man." John 7:46

The officers did not understand Jesus much of the time and neither did the priests and Pharisees who thought they understood the written scriptures very well... Do you understand Jesus so perfectly? I certainly don't.

Someone recently started another thread, Why do so many Christians vehemently disagree? You should consider carefully that question and what God's answer is before drawing your conclusion, "You just make things up". Perhaps you have just have never heard someone speak like she speaks... and what she speaks really comes through her connection with God? Is it so? God knows.

Even if you have what you consider the correct answer, is a response such as yours appropriate?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
baptism with Living water. John 4:13-14 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water (H2O)shall thirst again: [14] But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after (the Spirit of)righteousness: for they shall be filled.(with the Spirit of righteousness)

Ephesians 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Philippians 1:11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ(The Living water), unto the glory and praise of God.

...Whosoever drinketh of this water (H2O)shall thirst again:

Excellent!
I agree.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Amen...agree...I believe the likes of Uzzah Lost life in this world, cut short ..= punishment...but not in the next. Punishment enough. Not punishment twice.

Reactions: Giuliano