Three Days and Three Nights

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The facts....why not?
The Bible proves conclusively that the Last Supper occurred on Thursday evening....and I will prove it.
Christ was crucified on Friday....
The Jewish Passover and the Jewish Sabbath occurred on Saturday.
There is no math that can make 39 hours equal three days...no chance.
All attempt to do has resulted in confusion.

Here is the proof of the Last Supper through the Resurrection....

Passover---The Feast of Unleavened Bread----Hag Ha-Matzot.
Passover is one 24 hour period in the seven day Feast of Unleavened bread. The Jewish Passover occurs each year on the evening of the first full moon after the Spring Equinox.

One thing we know for sure, Christ was not crucified on the day He ate the His Last Supper. But the Jews would have normally been eating the Passover meal on the day Christ was crucified, that would be Friday.

Over the centuries there have been some confusion on which day the Last Supper occurred, and the circumstances of its occurrence. So before we go on let me explain. Traditionally in this time period, on the eve before the Passover the sacrificial lamb was slain and butchered ritualistically. The blood was collected ritualistically and applied to the doorways. (This is the Passover part of the ritual of the plaque of the first born.) Then the entire lamb was cooked over a fire and eaten entirely, with unleavened bread. (The sacrifice could be either an unblemished goat or lamb. You can read about this ritual in Exodus chapter 12.) This is not exactly what happened during the evening of the Last Supper. But the Gospels use the term Passover meal to refer to the Last Supper and also reference the Passover lamb being sacrificed on Thursday evening, from there, confusion ensued.

The Jewish Passover that year occurred on Saturday April 8th 30 AD, and started at dusk (As the Full Moon rose) on April 7th. Computerized astronomical calculations (NASA) shows a full Moon on the evening of April 7th when Passover began. So the Passover for that year occurred on the Jewish Sabbath...Saturday. Two Holy events occurring on the same day. Some refer to this as a High Holy Day, High Day, or High Sabbath for the Jews. The Lambs would have been killed on Friday, the afternoon of the 7th of April. But Christ would not be alive Friday evening. So in this instance there was an honorary Passover meal for Christ. As I said, we know that Christ did not eat the Last Supper on the day He was crucified.

He was the symbolic and divine sacrificial lamb and He was slain around 3:00 pm on the 7th of April, around the time that the actual sacrificial lambs were being slain. The Passover dinner for Him was held on the evening of the 6th of April...Thursday and they had a sacrificial lamb for Him. The next day, the actual Passover lambs would be slaughtered and eaten on Friday evening/night...for the Passover dinners. Christ was the sacrificial lamb for the New Covenant and He was crucified during the day on Friday, about the time the sacrificial lambs for Passover were being killed. So Christ would not be observing the normal processes of the Passover and the Passover meal, and as it turned out, the same was true for the Apostles because they would be in hiding, not sacrificing lambs. They may have arranged for food to be brought to them, but they probably were not sacrificing lambs at the Temple while Christ was being crucified.

The meal that Christ attended was a meal that the Gospels refer to as the Passover meal, put it was not the actual Jewish Passover meal. As I explained, the next day was the Jewish day of preparation for the Passover, and the Jewish Passover meal would occur then. This was the day that Christ was slain. Matthew 27:62, Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54, John 19:14, 31, and 42, all confirm that the day that Christ was crucified was on the Day of Preparation, which was Friday, April 7th 30 AD. John 18:28 also proves that on Thursday night/Friday morning, the day of Christ’s crucifixion, the Apostles had not eaten the actual Passover meal yet. The morning cock had crowed for Peter John 18:27 Christ was before Pilate in the Praetorium and the Apostles did not enter because they did not want to be defiled because they wanted to eat the Passover. Which would be that evening. Another mystery solved....

So then on Sunday Christ resurrected early Sunday morning. The stop watch concept of 3 days and 3 nights is never going to make 39 hours 3 days and 3 night. And the calculation used to do that would confuse any kind of concept of time in that period. On Monday evening, lets say, John would tell Peter, I will meet you in Jericho in three days and three nights." They both would then meet in Jericho on Thursday evening. Now if ether one of them subscribed to the idea of 39 hours means three days and three nights, one of them would arrive around 5:00 Wednesday morning, wondering where the other guy was.

Because Jewish Sabbaths begin in the evening, their days are counted by nights. No matter how you count it, there is only two nights between Christ death on the cross and His resurrection on Sunday morning. So it does not matter what weird math that is applied to 39 hours means 3 days and 3 nights it would also have to be applied to all time keeping and we would be reading a lot about those in the biblically era having no concept of time. It does not matter if it is 3 days and 3 nights or 40 days and 40 nights....it means a completion of and event to a plan. No one with a stop watch clicking off time.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been away for quit some time, please do not dig me about my spelling!!!
Can anyone count to one? can anyone count to three? Our Savior said that there would be ONE Sign, thats 1, and the sign of Jonah being in the belly of the great fish, for 3 days and 3 nights, Can anyone get three days and three nights from Good Friday, the day that Dagon the fish god was worshiped, to Easter Sunday, which represents the goddes of fertility, I would suspect that no one on this Forum could!

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
read the whole post....

I didn't see anywhere in your post where you provided examples which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't see anywhere in your post where you provided examples which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.
Of course I do not have any idea what your are trying to convey here.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi rstrats,
You said:
Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a "discussion" with 6[sup]th[/sup] day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase "x" days and "x"nights was ever used in the first century or before when it didn’t include at least parts of the "x" days and at least parts of the "x" nights?

I do believe the part is true highlighted in red, what I don't believe is their understanding of Yeshua being crucified on a Friday and rising on a Sunday. To my understanding Yeshua was crucified Thursday and died at 3:00 PM. This would be part of a day, so 1 day. Yeshua was placed in the tomb before the last rays of the sun left the sky. God starts his days just after dusk when there remains no more light. So Yeshua's 1st night in the tomb would of been Thursday night or the start of the 6th day, so 1 night. Day 2, meaning light in the sky and still part of day 6 and not the start of the next day, would have been Friday or day 6 during the daylight portion, so 2 days. Night #2 would start Friday or beginning of day 7, after the sun had gone down. Day 3 would have started Saturday or day 7 and night 3 would have occurred just after the sun went down going into the 1st day of the week which would have been Sunday. Yeshua was resurrected at the same time the Jews would have been cutting the wave sheaf offering from the field that the High Priest would have waved before God after the sun had rose on the 1st of the week. Below is a diagram to explain the mess I am trying to convey:

Thursday during daylight hours = 1 day (Nearing the end of the 5th day on God's calendar)
Thursday during nighttime hours = 1 night (Start of 6th day on God's calendar)
Friday during daylight hours = 2 days
Friday during nighttime hours = 2 nights (Start of the 7th day on God's calendar)
Saturday during daylight hours = 3 days
Saturday, just barely into the nighttime hours = 3 nights (Start of the 1st day on God's calendar)

Strong's Concordance offers this as 1 of 4 definitions in regard to the word "day(s)" as used in Matthew 12:40:

2) of the civil day, or the space of twenty four hours (thus including the night)
a) Eastern usage of this term differs from our western usage. Any part of a day is counted as a whole day, hence the expression "three days and three
nights" does not mean literally three whole days, but at least one whole day plus part of two other days.

So as far as I am concerned, Yeshua was not crucified on a Friday or as some believe, myself included at one time, Wednesday. Rather he was crucified Thursday with 3 hours, give or take, remaining of the daylight. For anyone to say he was crucified Friday makes Yeshua out to be a liar. It is not possible to get 3 parts of a day or 3 parts of a night from that perspective. I cannot offer you any evidence to support that latter 1/2 of your question in regards to: "I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase "x" days and "x"nights was ever used in the first century or before when it didn’t include at least parts of the "x" days and at least parts of the "x" nights?"
I.e. Jesus as in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights (Matthew 12), beginning on a 'Thursday'.

And since I am not a fan of any particular day, week, or month (Gal 4), then sounds good to me. I don't go to church just because it is 'Easter Sunday', and I don't eat fish, just because it is 'Good Friday'. (I do thank my God I am a redeemed believer of Jesus without any stain of religious ordinance of man...)

So long as three factual Scripturally written days are upheld, we're all good.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have been away for quit some time, please do not dig me about my spelling!!!
Can anyone count to one? can anyone count to three? Our Savior said that there would be ONE Sign, thats 1, and the sign of Jonah being in the belly of the great fish, for 3 days and 3 nights, Can anyone get three days and three nights from Good Friday, the day that Dagon the fish god was worshiped, to Easter Sunday, which represents the goddes of fertility, I would suspect that no one on this Forum could!
This has been said before, but it is worth repeating. A day begins when the sun goes down, and the next time it goes down is one day. Jesus was crucified early Friday morning, and it went dark at 3pm. That was day 1. Day 2 was Saturday and Jesus rose from the grave early Sunday morning on the third day.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This has been said before, but it is worth repeating. A day begins when the sun goes down, and the next time it goes down is one day. Good Friday began as normal when the sun went down on Thursday night and when it went dark again at 3pm on Good Friday when Jesus died, that was day 1. Later the sun reappeared, and when it went dark again as normal on Friday evening, that was the beginning of day 2. Day 3 began at nightfall on Saturday and ended at nightfall on Sunday. Jesus rose from the grave on the third day.
Thank you cooper. I'll believe you too. After all, what day Thursday or Friday, Saturday or Sunday, matters not to me. Only that it was in fact 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth.

Jesus and written Scripture are all that matter to me. The rest is just mental side notes.

Reactions: Cooper

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Of course I do not have any idea what your are trying to convey here.

Only that if someone says that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur, they would have to know of actual instances/examples of such usage in order to legitimately make the assertion of commonality.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually, the darkness began around noon, but that's an issue for a different topic.
OK. What we are talking about here is the meaning of the Word yome. If you look it up you will see it means any period of time from a few hours to eternity. Will you look it up please because there is a lot happening here that needs my attention. I can give a couple of examples from the OT that show this, but will do it later when I have more time. Thanks.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only that if someone says that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur, they would have to know of actual instances/examples of such usage in order to legitimately make the assertion of commonality.

Exactly and in the example I gave that was in fact used. The use of days and night to define length of times was common for two reason, no wristwatches and numbers and math was a stretch for most in the period.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, no problem. Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.

Here are two examples

1. When Esther was going to approach the king to ask him to help her people, she told the local Jews to fast for her for three days, night or day. Then we are told that she later approached the king on the third day. (Esther 4:16 to 5:1). Only two days had elapsed.

2. And it came to pass, when David and his men were come to Ziklag on the third day, that the Amalekites had invaded the south, and Ziklag, and smitten Ziklag, and burned it with fire; ... And they found an Egyptian in the field, and brought him to David, and gave him bread, and he did eat; and they made him drink water; and they gave him a piece of a cake of figs, and two clusters of raisins: and when he had eaten, his spirit came again to him: for he had eaten no bread, nor drunk any water, three days and three nights. And David said unto him, To whom belongest thou? and whence art thou? And he said, I am a young man of Egypt, servant to an Amalekite; and my master left me, because three days agone I fell sick. We made an invasion upon the south of the Cherethites, and upon the coast which belongeth to Judah, and upon the south of Caleb; and we burned Ziklag with fire. 1 Samuel 30:1 & 11-14

Assuming he had breakfast on Monday morning and then fell ill sometime during the day, then he went without food Monday night and all day Tuesday. When they found him three days later on Wednesday and gave him food and water, he had only been without food Monday night and all day Tuesday. They gave him food on Wednesday. He had not eaten or drunk for one and a half days.

Also:-
"Three days and three nights" is a Hebrew idiom that the Greek of Matthew 12:40 follows while Luke who was a Gentile left out the Hebrew idiom and used the much clearer and more direct "the third day." Luke 9:22, Luke 18:33, Luke 24:7, Acts 10:40.

Jesus rose ON the third day. The three nights would be Saturday night, Friday night, and when it went dark while Jesus was on the cross.

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus was in the grave 2 days and rose ON the third day.

Mat_16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

Mat_17:23 And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

Mat_20:19 And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Mat_27:64 Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first.

Mar_9:31 For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.

Mar_10:34 And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Luk_9:22 Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.

Luk_13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.

Luk_18:33 And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.

Luk_24:7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.

Luk_24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.

Luk_24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you cooper. I'll believe you too. After all, what day Thursday or Friday, Saturday or Sunday, matters not to me. Only that it was in fact 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth.

Jesus and written Scripture are all that matter to me. The rest is just mental side notes.
"Just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so our Lord predicted that He would be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

This raises a problem. If, Jesus was buried on Friday afternoon and rose again on Sunday morning, how can it be said that He was three days and nights in the tomb? The answer is that, in Jewish reckoning, any part of a day and night counts as a complete period. “A day and a night make an onah, and a part of an onah is as the whole” (Jewish saying).

(Believers Bible)