Time for Congregational Forums

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would strongly reccomend three congregational forums...

1. Orthodox / Catholic forum
2. Protestant forum
3. Pentecostal / Charismatic forum

I would also invite strict rules where you could not debate if you were not a member of that forum. If we want to draw the Catholic / Orthodox crowd we must offer them a safe place to post their own unique views without somebody wanting to debate them.

Reactions: dragonfly and aspen

Giver

Dec 13, 2013
Wilson, NC
rockytopva said:

2. Protestant forum

I would also invite strict rules where you could not debate if you were not a member of that forum. If we want to draw the Catholic / Orthodox crowd we must offer them a safe place to post their own unique views without somebody wanting to debate them.
[SIZE=16pt]Why! Who needs a safe place to discuss about God? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]If one wastes his or her time going over the lies taught by their church what are they going to learn? [/SIZE]

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA

2. Protestant forum

Pentecostals are not Protestants?

Why create eco chambers where people just “preach to the quayer”?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Suhar said:
Pentecostals are not Protestants?Why create eco chambers where people just “preach to the quayer”?
Of all my years in the Wesleyan Pentecostal church I have not heard the word Protestant or any sermons against Catholics. So I do not classify my faith either way. I was thiking more of a place for people of like beliefs to fellowship.
Giver said:
Why! Who needs a safe place to discuss about God?

If one wastes his or her time going over the lies taught by their church what are they going to learn?
I am not against debate. But there needs to be places safe from it.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds good to me. As long as we all get access to the entire forum.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Suhar said:
Pentecostals are not Protestants?

Why create eco chambers where people just “preach to the quayer”?
There are also Catholic Charismatics.

Also where would you put Sedevacantists like Elizabeth. I mean really she is a protestant but would the Protestants want her?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll go ahead and share this much.

While we do listen to each and every suggestion, and have even strongly considered this one even prior to this thread, this is not a direction that we wish to go in because there are already various communities that do this. If I had set out to start a Protestant forum, Catholic forum, or whatever, then I'd just be copying a number of other places already out there and probably much more comfortable for each group.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HammerStone said:
I'll go ahead and share this much.

While we do listen to each and every suggestion, and have even strongly considered this one even prior to this thread, this is not a direction that we wish to go in because there are already various communities that do this. If I had set out to start a Protestant forum, Catholic forum, or whatever, then I'd just be copying a number of other places already out there and probably much more comfortable for each group.
I do enjoy christianforums.com. But... I am only regular on the General Theology forum of the 100 or so forums. I enjoy the variety of people. I believe the churches as seven...

1. Ephesus - Apostolic
2. Smyrna- Martyr (Foxes has the persecutions as ten)
3. Pergamos - Orthodox (Pygros is a tower... needed for the dark ages)
4. Thyatira - Catholic (Jezebel is to control and dominate)
5. Sardis - Gem (A sardius is a gem, both hard (shelled) and elegant)
6. Philadelphia - Wesleyan (never more go out - in and out of revival)
7. Laodicea - Began with DL Moody, who angered the English over book sales

It is nice that we have a variety in the seven churches and I enjoy input from many perspectives. It seems like here on CB that whenever we get a good variety that people are rude to one another and the next thing you know we are back to the same faces and conversations.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
It seems like here on CB that whenever we get a good variety that people are rude to one another and the next thing you know we are back to the same faces and conversations.
Isn't this something we have to address for ourselves, each and every one of us, rather than passing the buck to Hammerstone?

We already need more of a 'live and let live' attitude in our posts, while still making the attempt to follow Priscilla and Aquila's example:

Acts 18:24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. 25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John. 26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

How many of us (even) know the baptism of John?

Without it, how can we be qualified to add to anyone else's understanding?

Reactions: HammerStone

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I am Pentecostal but keep it at arms length
And in modern day I find my arm grows longer
I am not Catholic but enjoy the back and forth between us
I have learned a lot from their point of view
The Catholic Church in my town is very very Christian from my Protestant viewpoint
If we are segregated it would be dull and boring on the forum
We will all get mushed together some day
But that happens when we go to be with the Lord

AndyBern

Jun 26, 2012
I don't like the idea of congregational forums. It doesn't just separate true Christians from false, it divides true Christians from true Christians. It encourages a "us or them" mentality when we should be united in Christ (John 17:20-23). Jesus didn't say we are to isolate ourselves from each other or from the world (Matthew 5:14-16). It also doesn't solve the underlying problems that cause debates.

I'm not saying every theological system or form of doctrine is valid. But you cannot tell who is a Christian and who is not by what denomination they belong to. And for those of us who are true Christians, we need to be relating to each other in love and humility in spite of our differences (1 Corinthians 13:2). How can we grow without this kind of interaction?

Reactions: dragonfly

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well... If we are going to say that the Orthodox and Catholic are welcome here then we are going to get posts regarding their beliefs. I just know if someone tried to post these at CB that people would begin rebuking them for it.
our-lady-of-the-sacred-heart.jpg

Cormack-Byzantium-BAR450.jpg

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
rockytopva said:

2. Protestant forum

far be it from me to try to interfer with some ones opinion that i dont agree with But rocktopvia
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
horsecamp said:
far be it from me to try to interfer with some ones opinion that i dont agree with But rocktopvia
horsecamp said:
I don't mind debate, but let's not make every forum here a debate forum.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Folks, now that the board of moderators has expanded, there should be no need for additional forums in order to protect anyone.

All that is needed is for the moderators to enforce the rules. Of course, long-term members need to get used to the rules being enforced.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a long time member, I am open to correct for sure, but I hope to receive warnings if cross a line, before being banned.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
aspen said:
As a long time member, I am open to correct for sure, but I hope to receive warnings if cross a line, before being banned.
One would have to mess up big time in order to be banned without first receiving a warning.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I have found Catholics are very silent about what they believe .... I am talking about one on one conversations about their faith .... i suspect it comes from politeness more than lack of knowledge.

Last April I spent a day in a short term recovery ward and shared a room with a 78 year old retired dairy farmer who was Catholic thru and thru

He was a real talker and explained things so well I told him he should be the national spokesman for his church. He disarmed many of my pre-conceived notions .... and keep in mind I am a fundamental Protestant who does not accept Luke warm theology.

Reactions: aspen

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
I think .i recall the original rule state's you can pick on rocytopva but you have to be nice to every one else.And he can pick On every one he wants EXCEPTING he has to be nice to
horsecamp .

I think that sume's up the rules if not it should ..