• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When the topic of tongues comes up, I like to remind people what Paul said about tongues
The question is whether this order is actually being followed in the churches claiming to speak in tongues. Glossais should have been consistently translated as "languages". That could have prevented a lot of confusion.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question is whether this order is actually being followed in the churches claiming to speak in tongues. Glossais should have been consistently translated as "languages". That could have prevented a lot of confusion.
I question whether or not people are really speaking in tongues in churches. The purpose of speaking in tongues, I believe, is to spread the gospel to people who speak in other languages. Is that what tongues are being used for today?

Reactions: Christ4Me

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I question whether or not people are really speaking in tongues in churches. The purpose of speaking in tongues, I believe, is to spread the gospel to people who speak in other languages. Is that what tongues are being used for today?
I'm not willing to put God in a box on this matter. I believe that some are fake and may very well be deceptions BUT I will not put the use of a gift from the Holy Spirit in time out. I've personally seen a solid Christian speak in an unknown tongue and another solid Christian who is nothing more than an acquaintance interpret that message. The messages have been Biblical and no way controversial and most times uplifting to the congregation. No Charismatic theatrics but just a strong presence of the Lord. It was not weird or strange, it seem perfectly natural. The persons involved were not strong or highly vocal personalities. They were very dedicated to their walk in faith and if you met them you would see no personality trait that would make you think they are overly zealous. they were not in most cases in Church leadership positions. Moms, grandmothers, young men and elderly men and women. It was not a regular event or expected to happen in worship every Sunday. In fact it might be months between someone having this experience. It was never the center piece of the Church. I have strong opposition to those who teach a person must speak in tongues as evidence of salvation. That has damaged and turned away many.

Reactions: amadeus

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not willing to put God in a box on this matter. I believe that some are fake and may very well be deceptions BUT I will not put the use of a gift from the Holy Spirit in time out. I've personally seen a solid Christian speak in an unknown tongue and another solid Christian who is nothing more than an acquaintance interpret that message. The messages have been Biblical and no way controversial and most times uplifting to the congregation. No Charismatic theatrics but just a strong presence of the Lord. It was not weird or strange, it seem perfectly natural. The persons involved were not strong or highly vocal personalities. They were very dedicated to their walk in faith and if you met them you would see no personality trait that would make you think they are overly zealous. they were not in most cases in Church leadership positions. Moms, grandmothers, young men and elderly men and women. It was not a regular event or expected to happen in worship every Sunday. In fact it might be months between someone having this experience. It was never the center piece of the Church. I have strong opposition to those who teach a person must speak in tongues as evidence of salvation. That has damaged and turned away many.
With God, anything is possible, but doesn't there have to be a purpose to talking in tongues? In the beginning it was to spread the gospel to people who speak in other languages. What is the purpose today?

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With God, anything is possible, but doesn't there have to be a purpose to talking in tongues? In the beginning it was to spread the gospel to people who speak in other languages. What is the purpose today?
I feel it's edification individually and to the Church. I think it's problematic when elevated over any of the other gifts.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul did say not to speak in tongues if no one is there to interpret.
Correct. Paul insisted on interpretation in the event that someone did speak a foreign language supernaturally, otherwise it would be unprofitable for the church. And all the spiritual gifts were given for the edification of the church as a body of believers.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you my friend understand all about God and His purposes? Some people work as if they do, but I have had doubts. God knows! Who else does?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya know there are people that don't believe in the rapture either....or healings....angelic visitations. Kind of like a black and white religion.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
There are 9 spiritual gifts.
Tongues are the last on the list, or the least...coming in at #9.

Its rare to find the correct teaching, regarding this gift, so, here it is...

The Gift of tongues, is the gift of a foreign language....that you can't speak, but you are given the ability to speak, by God... = so that you can deal with those who do not understand your tongue.
This would primarily be a gift given to a Missionary, in the time of the Gentiles.
You can check this out in Acts 2, when Peter was speaking in foreign languages, (tongues) and those who heard him said..>"we hear in OUR Language".
That's the "gift of Tongues".

A "prayer language", is not the gift of tongues.
Charismatics do not understand this so they teach "the infilling of the Spirit..with tongues as the sign", incorrectly as the gift of tongues, when in fact its a prayer language that the NT specifies as : "groanings that can't be uttered"..

So, if you have a prayer language, you are not "speaking in tongues", you are speaking "mysteries to god", for "self edification".

If your pastor does not understand this, then find a new Church were they do.
There is no need to keep sitting and listening to a theological boob who fakes spirituality, and is only concerned with getting your tithe and keeping you in spiritual diapers for 60 yrs.....Exactly as he or she is in their's for 60 yrs.

Paul says to pray..(seek earnestly) for the ""best GIFT", which would be the supernatural "word of knowledge" ..GIFT...., or the #1 on the list.
So much truth and so much condescending mockery to drown it out.:mad:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where in the Bible does it say we can't ask questions? You just asked two.
So, you have questions to ask of me. Ask away... I may not know the answers, but again God knows all of the answers. Will He always give me or anyone all of the answers?

That is another question, isn't it? James writes about asking amiss, but what is that? What is amiss to God?

Actually, brother, while I have not read all yours posts [nor anyone else's], I do usually like your posts better than many of many others. You seldom show signs of following some other man or group blindly. God is still helping me that on me.

It is written, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." [Matt 5:48]

What is "perfect" to God? How can any of us ever attain it?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you have questions to ask of me. Ask away... I may not know the answers, but again God knows all of the answers. Will He always give me or anyone all of the answers?

That is another question, isn't it? James writes about asking amiss, but what is that? What is amiss to God?

Actually, brother, while I have not read all yours posts [nor anyone else's], I do usually like your posts better than many of many others. You seldom show signs of following some other man or group blindly. God is still helping me that on me.

It is written, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." [Matt 5:48]

What is "perfect" to God? How can any of us ever attain it?
I'll rephrase my original question: Paul said not to speak in tongues if no one is there to interpret. Was Paul wrong?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll rephrase my original question: Paul said not to speak in tongues if no one is there to interpret. Was Paul wrong?
Now why did you say that the way that you did? What saith it?

"If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." I Cor 14:27-28

Who was Jesus' interpreter?
Where and what is the church?
What did Paul mean by these words?

"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." I Cor 14:39

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now why did you say that the way that you did? What saith it?

"If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." I Cor 14:27-28

Who was Jesus' interpreter?
Where and what is the church?
What did Paul mean by these words?

"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues." I Cor 14:39
I'm responding to your posts as best I can. Let me put it another way: Paul said not to speak in tongues if no one is there to interpret. I can live with that.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm responding to your posts as best I can. Let me put it another way: Paul said not to speak in tongues if no one is there to interpret. I can live with that.
I believe I understand and trying not to be confrontational, I will try to respond.

I have been communicating with God in what others might call an unknown tongue for decades. In my daily 'closet' time with God each day [24/7] I always speak in an unknown tongue as well as in English and sometimes German or Spanish.

I do not expect anyone else to do as I do in these things just because I do. I really strive to strive to not put God in a box.

God spoke to Elijah in "still small voice", but God was not limited to that means of communication nor, does He, I believe, limit us to speaking to Him in our own human native language only either.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe I understand and trying not to be confrontational, I will try to respond.

I have been communicating with God in what others might call an unknown tongue for decades. In my daily 'closet' time with God each day [24/7] I always speak in an unknown tongue as well as in English and sometimes German or Spanish.

I do not expect anyone else to do as I do in these things just because I do. I really strive to strive to not put God in a box.

God spoke to Elijah in "still small voice", but God was not limited to that means of communication nor, does He, I believe, limit us to speaking to Him in our own human native language only either.
I have no reason to doubt you, but I think Paul was correct to say we shouldn't speak in tongues in church if no one is there to interpret.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no reason to doubt you, but I think Paul was correct to say we shouldn't speak in tongues in church if no one is there to interpret.
What I see and believe is that there are not less than two different tongues [I Cor 12:28] involved here.

But... on your point, presuming I understand what you mean by "church", I could agree.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I see and believe is that there are not less than two different tongues [I Cor 12:28] involved here.

But... on your point, presuming I understand what you mean by "church", I could agree.
I once heard of a church that considered you a lesser person if you didn't speak in tongues at church. I thought this was destructive and is the reason I comment on this issue when it comes up.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you my friend understand all about God and His purposes? Some people work as if they do, but I have had doubts. God knows! Who else does?

Definitely yes! Only the children of God do understand all about God and His purposes as He revealed them in Scripture to His children.