Trump's Failed Trade Policy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So much of the daily political talk is about impeachment, not many are paying attention to other things. Remember when Trump said farmers hurt by his trade war with China would get government subsidies? Some have too. So far the amount of Trump's farm bailout is double what the bailout of the auto industry cost under Obama.

Trump farm bailout costs more than double the auto bailout that GOP slammed

That $28 billion is more than double the $12 billion that the auto industry bailout ultimately cost taxpayers back in 2008 and 2009, when the Great Recession threatened to sink American auto giants General Motors and Chrysler.

Republicans panned that bailout, saying that "free market" principles should have let the American auto makers to go under — taking with them thousands of manufacturing jobs from the kinds of blue-collar workers Trump has courted.

The article goes on to quote what some Republicans said about the auto bailout. It also points out that the car companies paid their loans back. There is no provision for farmers to pay back anything. Obama's bailout was a one time deal; Trump's bailout seems to be dragging on and on.

Additionally, it seems most of the money is going to big industrial style farmers, not to smaller family farmers.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Half of the Trump administration’s latest trade-war bailout for farmers went to just a 10th of recipients in the program, according to an analysis of payments by an environmental organization. The study asserted that payouts have been skewed toward larger operations and wealthier producers.

The top 1% of beneficiaries from the trade aid received 13% of the money distributed in the first round of payments under this year’s Market Facilitation Program, with an average payment of more than $177,000. But the bottom 80% of recipients received an average payment of $5,136, according to the Environmental Working Group, which analyzed records obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.

I read in the local news that farm bankruptcies are up here in Pennsylvania where I live. I discovered they're up in many states. Story here: Farm bankruptcies increase nationwide, report says.

I've seen some news stories that say some farmers who voted for Trump still support him even though they're hurting. Being patriotic, they don't mind hurting themselves if it solves the trade problems. I commend them for that; but I wonder how much longer they'll be able to have faith in Trump's approach to trade. How much longer can they hang on with hope? Trump needs a big success with China, but it may be too late for that. China has already found there are other agricultural suppliers. I doubt they'll cancel contracts made with them just to please Trump. The Chinese want stability in the markets. Trump introduces too much chaos.

Seeing where farmers are hurting also raises the question whether he can win in some swing states again. I doubt he can win Pennsylvania again. Meanwhile the national debt keeps going up and up. The top Democrat candidates seem to want to make it even bigger by spending more than Trump; and the two Republicans running against Trump who are fiscal conservatives don't seem to have a chance.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You have the same issue we have, Australia got sold off to china, at least trump has enough backbone to try get jobs back in America, Our soldiers fought and died for this country, in war selling you country for money is treason, now its big business, and the rich do it at will...

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have the same issue we have, Australia got sold off to china, at least trump has enough backbone to try get jobs back in America, Our soldiers fought and died for this country, in war selling you country for money is treason, now its big business, and the rich do it at will...
I think Australia's future worries me more than the US since it depends so much more on China. If that trend towards more dependence on China doesn't get stopped, it could soon become an economic colony of China, forced to do whatever China demands. This article says one third of all Australian trade is with China.

Australia’s China Syndrome

Australia continues to benefit from China’s rise, though few countries are more threatened by its expanding power. Once closely tied to the British Commonwealth, and later to the United States, the Australian subcontinent, with only 24 million people, now relies on China for one-third of its trade—more than with Japan and the U.S. combined. Australia’s major economic sectors rely on Chinese support; investors poured in $17.4 billion in 2017.

That article also mentions something I heard about on the BBC.

There is, however, increasing concern about Australia’s reliance on an authoritarian regime. In 2018, Australia’s intelligence chief identified two prominent Chinese businessmen, who had donated millions in Australian politics, as possible agents for the Communist government in Beijing. In addition, an Australian Broadcasting Corporation report concluded that businesses and individuals “with Chinese connections” had donated more than $5.5 million to Australia’s main political parties between 2013 and 2015, “making them easily the largest source of foreign-linked donations.”

This year, the defection of a Chinese spy, Wang “William” Liqiang, revealed what is alleged to be a widespread Communist effort to influence Australian politics, similar to the approach employed in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Duncan Lewis, former head of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation, the country’s counterintelligence agency, claims that the Chinese government was seeking to “take over” Australia’s political system through its “insidious” foreign interference operations.

The Chinese have certainly made friends among Australia’s political class. The former trade minister, Andrew Robb, who negotiated a trade pact with China, reportedly received a part-time consulting contract worth more than $650,000 annually from a Chinese billionaire. Meantime, Sam Dastyari, a key leader of the center-left Labor Party and supporter of Chinese expansion in Southeast Asia, recently resigned after “tipping off” a Chinese businessman and political donor, Huang Xiangmo, that Australian intelligence authorities were likely monitoring his phone. Chinese influence has reached the highest levels of power, particularly under former Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd. A Mandarin-speaker, Rudd has run interference for Beijing on numerous matters, accusing former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull of conducting an “anti-Chinese jihad for highlighting Beijing’s intelligence breaches.

I think you may be right about money being at the root of the problem. A few people are getting rich but Australia is on the path to becoming a colony of China. PM Scott Morrison is an elitist. That showed when he took a vacation in Hawaii while there was the crisis with wildfires in Australia. He apologized, but that was only after he realized how bad he looked. He didn't convince me he really cared. He was just sorry people were angry with him. He had promised his family that vacation he said. Well, I'm sure some of the real heroes battling the fires had also promised their families vacations.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think Australia's future worries me more than the US since it depends so much more on China. If that trend towards more dependence on China doesn't get stopped, it could soon become an economic colony of China, forced to do whatever China demands. This article says one third of all Australian trade is with China.

Australia continues to benefit from China’s rise, though few countries are more threatened by its expanding power. Once closely tied to the British Commonwealth, and later to the United States, the Australian subcontinent, with only 24 million people, now relies on China for one-third of its trade—more than with Japan and the U.S. combined. Australia’s major economic sectors rely on Chinese support; investors poured in $17.4 billion in 2017.

There is, however, increasing concern about Australia’s reliance on an authoritarian regime. In 2018, Australia’s intelligence chief identified two prominent Chinese businessmen, who had donated millions in Australian politics, as possible agents for the Communist government in Beijing. In addition, an Australian Broadcasting Corporation report concluded that businesses and individuals “with Chinese connections” had donated more than $5.5 million to Australia’s main political parties between 2013 and 2015, “making them easily the largest source of foreign-linked donations.”

This year, the defection of a Chinese spy, Wang “William” Liqiang, revealed what is alleged to be a widespread Communist effort to influence Australian politics, similar to the approach employed in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Duncan Lewis, former head of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation, the country’s counterintelligence agency, claims that the Chinese government was seeking to “take over” Australia’s political system through its “insidious” foreign interference operations.

The Chinese have certainly made friends among Australia’s political class. The former trade minister, Andrew Robb, who negotiated a trade pact with China, reportedly received a part-time consulting contract worth more than $650,000 annually from a Chinese billionaire. Meantime, Sam Dastyari, a key leader of the center-left Labor Party and supporter of Chinese expansion in Southeast Asia, recently resigned after “tipping off” a Chinese businessman and political donor, Huang Xiangmo, that Australian intelligence authorities were likely monitoring his phone. Chinese influence has reached the highest levels of power, particularly under former Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd. A Mandarin-speaker, Rudd has run interference for Beijing on numerous matters, accusing former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull of conducting an “anti-Chinese jihad for highlighting Beijing’s intelligence breaches.

I think you may be right about money being at the root of the problem. A few people are getting rich but Australia is on the path to becoming a colony of China. PM Scott Morrison is an elitist. That showed when he took a vacation in Hawaii while there was the crisis with wildfires in Australia. He apologized, but that was only after he realized how bad he looked. He didn't convince me he really cared. He was just sorry people were angry with him. He had promised his family that vacation he said. Well, I'm sure some of the real heroes battling the fires had also promised their families vacations.
If you see the number of chinese in this country it would terrify you. But not unexpected, weve being sold for a penny.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you see the number of chinese in this country it would terrify you. But not unexpected, weve being sold for a penny.
Some of them are tourists, to be sure; but I read some of the tourists are interested in buying real estate. Many Chinese are, too, driving up the prices of houses. While I feel sympathy for the Chinese who realize they may not want to live in China at some point, I also feel sorry for Australians when they can't buy houses in the cities because the prices went up so high. That kind of tension can't last forever. Sooner or later, native Australians will start to resent the Chinese, especially if the Chinese are seen as richer and taking advantage.

The Chinese also may become the big losers in Australia in the end. I remember when lots of Japanese rich people were buying California real estate. They drove the prices sky-high until no one else could afford them. Then the market collapsed. The houses were not really worth what the Japanese had paid for them. When they sold, they lost lots of money.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some of them are tourists, to be sure; but I read some of the tourists are interested in buying real estate. Many Chinese are, too, driving up the prices of houses. While I feel sympathy for the Chinese who realize they may not want to live in China at some point, I also feel sorry for Australians when they can't buy houses in the cities because the prices went up so high. That kind of tension can't last forever. Sooner or later, native Australians will start to resent the Chinese, especially if the Chinese are seen as richer and taking advantage.

The Chinese also may become the big losers in Australia in the end. I remember when lots of Japanese rich people were buying California real estate. They drove the prices sky-high until no one else could afford them. Then the market collapsed. The houses were not really worth what the Japanese had paid for them. When they sold, they lost lots of money.
we have already passed that point. Greed is what you get.

Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we have already passed that point. Greed is what you get.
I hope someone can turn things around there. The UK did some damage to some countries in the British Commonwealth countries when they joined the EU. I'm hoping that when they leave the EU, the Commonwealth countries can set up a new trade agreement that will benefit them all.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I hope someone can turn things around there. The UK did some damage to some countries in the British Commonwealth countries when they joined the EU. I'm hoping that when they leave the EU, the Commonwealth countries can set up a new trade agreement that will benefit them all.
Id be surprised if they do, far to many people want convenience at the cost of there freedom. Just look at what convenience has done to our jobs, buy online, who cares if the shops are closing and our kids are loosing there jobs, its convenient.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Id be surprised if they do, far to many people want convenience at the cost of there freedom. Just look at what convenience has done to our jobs, buy online, who cares if the shops are closing and our kids are loosing there jobs, its convenient.
I am skeptical too. I also wonder if the British government knows what it's doing. I think it would be a great opportunity, but I'm not optimistic about it.

Reactions: mjrhealth

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am skeptical too. I also wonder if the British government knows what it's doing. I think it would be a great opportunity, but I'm not optimistic about it.
We are in the end of days, these thing must play out, Trump and Brexit have put a spanner in the works, even Israel is trying to get rid of There primeminister, we really are there in teh thick of it, interesting and very uncomfortable days ahead.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So much of the daily political talk is about impeachment, not many are paying attention to other things...
You put the word *FAILED* in your title as though that is an accomplished fact, rather than a biased Left-Wing globalist opinion by all the Trump haters.

You are trying to present negative arguments against Mr. Trump's trade policies while trying to bolster Obama. The fact is that there is little or no objective analysis of what Trump is achieving, and why he is doing what he is doing.

Anyhow, since you have raised this issue by using the pejorative word *FAILED* I will rebut your biased presentation with some facts and figures later on.

Reactions: historyb

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You put the word *FAILED* in your title as though that is an accomplished fact, rather than a biased Left-Wing globalist opinion by all the Trump haters.

You are trying to present negative arguments against Mr. Trump's trade policies while trying to bolster Obama. The fact is that there is little or no objective analysis of what Trump is achieving, and why he is doing what he is doing.

Anyhow, since you have raised this issue by using the pejorative word *FAILED* I will rebut your biased presentation with some facts and figures later on.
Feel free to change it to "failing" if you like. Unfortunately the numbers do not lie. The crisis faced by farmers now was created by Trump. His policy and style of negotiating created it. It's costing a lot too -- twice what the auto bailout under Obama cost. Republicans complained about that, but they seem struck silent about the bailout of farmer. I don't know if I've ever seen such fiscal irresponsibility. The national debt keeps going up and up.

Obama's bailout did save automotive jobs in the US. Time will tell if Trump's bailout does much for farmers. At any rate, it's money down the drain since no one needs to pay back the money they get from the Trump administration. At least, the car companies repaid what they got.

I don't know how much longer farmers in Iowa can keep supporting Trump. He won in 2016 by over 9%. At the moment, he's ahead of Biden by 2.5%. If he wants to win Iowa, he'd better start turning some things around.

Trump has broken too many promises to Iowa farmers

From the moment he set foot in Iowa in 2015, Donald Trump made farmers a lot of promises.

He promised us he’d invest in rural communities. He promised us fair trade deals that would bolster the agricultural industry. And most importantly, he promised us he would enforce the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) supporting jobs for Iowans and the use of ethanol and biodiesel in our nation’s fuel supply.

Flash forward to today, and the picture for farmers across Iowa and the rest of the country is bleak.

The Environmental Protection Agency has finally released specifics on how it would enforce the RFS. Instead of giving us what was promised or following the letter of the law, this administration reduced the use of renewable fuels by granting waivers to the oil industry. President Trump’s biofuels plan destroyed the use of 4.1 billion gallons of renewable fuels made in America. Farmers, rural communities and consumers are the losers.

As an Iowa farmer and former president of the National Corn Growers Association, I know this action is devastating for farmers and the rural economy. As Senator Amy Klobuchar and other leaders on this issue have pointed out, the only thing Iowa farmers are asking is that the Trump administration follows the law.

It has not. As a result, ethanol and biodiesel refineries have shuttered, and hardworking Iowans have lost their jobs.

Additionally, farmers have been asked to take another punch to the gut as the decreased demand brought on by the waivers drives down commodity prices. And let’s not forget the countless business and communities, mostly rural, whose local economies depend on agriculture and are threatened by these unnecessary waivers. One in five Iowa jobs is connected to agriculture.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe Hillary had some things right, after all. He seems to keeping his promise to do for the country what he did for his businesses.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why then, *G*, since you are painting such gloom and doom, are you suggesting that Trump just roll over and let the Chinese keep on taking advantage of us? Yes, the farmers have gotten themselves into a bad fix with the Chinese that is going to cost $ and sacrifice to repair. But, it is what it is. There are other greedy Americans who have also gotten in bed with China, and that is also going to have to be addressed.

Reactions: historyb

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why then, *G*, since you are painting such gloom and doom, are you suggesting that Trump just roll over and let the Chinese keep on taking advantage of us? Yes, the farmers have gotten themselves into a bad fix with the Chinese that is going to cost $ and sacrifice to repair. But, it is what it is. There are other greedy Americans who have also gotten in bed with China, and that is also going to have to be addressed.
Thats a worldly thing not just the US, as I said Australia has being sold for a penny, or is it 10 Yuan

Reactions: Willie T

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The crisis faced by farmers now was created by Trump.
Here is an excellent rebuttal to your accusation:

May 22, 2019

Trump trade war makes $89-billion profit

By Chriss Street

President Trump's trade war with China is set to make an $89-billion profit after compensation payments for China tariffs against U.S. farmers.

Globalists claimed that Americans would suffer the greatest harm from President Trump's trade war with China. But it is China that is suffering its first current account deficit in 25 years, while the U.S. economy continues to see high growth.

The area of American weakness in the trade war has been U.S. farmers, who are hurting from China's retaliatory tariffs. But President Trump has authorized the Department of Agriculture to offer "Market Facilitation Program" (MFP) payments of up to $125,000 to small and medium-size farmers.

Trump tariffs slapped on China for unfair trade policies generated about $41 billion in revenue for the U.S. Treasury in F.Y. 2018. But with China slapping retaliatory tariffs on U.S. exports of soybeans, pork, almonds, cherries, cotton, corn, sorghum, lobsters, and several other crops, the Department of Agriculture has already processed $8.5 billion in payments, and the final cost for the F.Y. 2018 MFP is estimated at $12 billion.

President Trump's recent more than doubling of the tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese goods is now estimated to push U.S. Treasury F.Y. 2019 collections up to $100 billion. But as a result of steeper Chinese retaliatory tariffs, the U.S. Department of Agriculture is expected to make about $20 billion in MFP payments to farmers in F.Y. 2019.

While President Trump can rightfully claim he is winning the trade war and has an $89-billion profit as "icing on the cake," his globalist adversaries have pivoted and are now arguing that Trump tariffs are not sustainable because it is U.S. consumers who are paying higher prices.

But a new study by the National Bureau of Economic Research that analyzed the short-run impact from a pass-through of U.S. tariffs to variety-level import prices, imports from countries targeted by U.S. tariffs declined 31.5 percent, while targeted retaliation caused U.S. exports to fall by 11 percent.

Researchers told Reuters, "After accounting for higher tariff revenue and gains to domestic producers from higher prices, the aggregate welfare loss was $7.8 billion," or about 0.04% of American GDP.

Chriss Street is an economist and cofounder of the New California movement.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/05/trump_trade_war_makes_89_billion_profit.html

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is an excellent rebuttal to your accusation:

May 22, 2019

Trump trade war makes $89-billion profit

By Chriss Street

President Trump's trade war with China is set to make an $89-billion profit after compensation payments for China tariffs against U.S. farmers.

Globalists claimed that Americans would suffer the greatest harm from President Trump's trade war with China. But it is China that is suffering its first current account deficit in 25 years, while the U.S. economy continues to see high growth.

The area of American weakness in the trade war has been U.S. farmers, who are hurting from China's retaliatory tariffs. But President Trump has authorized the Department of Agriculture to offer "Market Facilitation Program" (MFP) payments of up to $125,000 to small and medium-size farmers.

Trump tariffs slapped on China for unfair trade policies generated about $41 billion in revenue for the U.S. Treasury in F.Y. 2018. But with China slapping retaliatory tariffs on U.S. exports of soybeans, pork, almonds, cherries, cotton, corn, sorghum, lobsters, and several other crops, the Department of Agriculture has already processed $8.5 billion in payments, and the final cost for the F.Y. 2018 MFP is estimated at $12 billion.

President Trump's recent more than doubling of the tariffs on $200 billion of Chinese goods is now estimated to push U.S. Treasury F.Y. 2019 collections up to $100 billion. But as a result of steeper Chinese retaliatory tariffs, the U.S. Department of Agriculture is expected to make about $20 billion in MFP payments to farmers in F.Y. 2019.

While President Trump can rightfully claim he is winning the trade war and has an $89-billion profit as "icing on the cake," his globalist adversaries have pivoted and are now arguing that Trump tariffs are not sustainable because it is U.S. consumers who are paying higher prices.

But a new study by the National Bureau of Economic Research that analyzed the short-run impact from a pass-through of U.S. tariffs to variety-level import prices, imports from countries targeted by U.S. tariffs declined 31.5 percent, while targeted retaliation caused U.S. exports to fall by 11 percent.

Researchers told Reuters, "After accounting for higher tariff revenue and gains to domestic producers from higher prices, the aggregate welfare loss was $7.8 billion," or about 0.04% of American GDP.

Chriss Street is an economist and cofounder of the New California movement.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/05/trump_trade_war_makes_89_billion_profit.html
Who pays those tariffs? Americans are paying them, that's who. Our lord giveth and our lord taketh away. On one hand, he reduced taxes; on the other hand, he's getting money from Americans from the tariffs in the way of higher prices. And to add to the outrageousness of it all, the federal government is still going broke, even with the record income to the Treasury. No matter how much money is rolling in, Trump manages to spend more than he has in income. If I have the time later, I'll post information from the latest Fed study.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who pays those tariffs? Americans are paying them, that's who.
Another myth created by the Anti-Trumpers and Never Trumpers.

Why are high tariffs necessary? So that manufacturing jobs and manufacturing industries RETURN TO America and the rate of unemployment goes down at the same time as pride in domestic goods increases.

Obviously the prices of goods manufactured in the USA will be higher than those imported from China and SE Asia, where *slave labor* allows manufacturers (state-controlled in China and Vietnam) to produce goods at very low prices, while heavily polluting their atmosphere.

By importing cheaply, Americans may think they are getting a good deal, when in fact they have shipped their jobs and industries to Asia. So tariffs are paid by the Asians and thus their imports will be more expensive. But the whole idea is to reduce those imports, and thus reduce the trade deficit. This actually strengthen America, and the increase in jobs under Trump cannot be questioned. However, the globalists want to see a weak America become just like a Third Word country. They all hate Trump because he is resisting globalism and Chinese domination.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Much of this type of thing has been taking place from the 1990's with China in Australia our two major Political Party's have been treating Australians with much treason, they are both so full of corruption that they are a nasty joke, thank God that we got rid of the PM M Turncoat he was a total monster ! life long Party members were jumping ship like wild fire, because of his Socialist dribble. the bastard bought his way into the position with money that he ripped of mum and dad investors and this would be great to see totally investigated and exposed for what it was.

The bush fires are a State problem and the creation of all this has to do with creating all the fuel that has made such go so wild in the first place, no one could be so stupid, I was saying that they had to back burn months ago because of the dry, I was saying why are they not doing this the fools ! it's because of the Political greens Party power that creates such madness and gets peoples homes burnt down and killed.
The Governments are so hell bound on dictating to the people what they can and can't do, the people have no rights to have a say. one bloke cleared trees from around his house in the last big fires was set on and fined, he saved his house and everyone around him lost their houses, not he was not allowed to talk on TV he was supressed and heavy fined. the media do not want people who know what they are talking about on TV exposing them.
The Greens and the Socialist are hell bent on making out Climate Change is the cause of all the fires, but it's morons who are going out setting many fires off in fact.
I have seen why we have such problems with fires nowadays, I have ridden dirt bikes from 1974 in bush land all over SE Queensland and North NSW their would not be many who have travelled so much such land as me, I have seen why we have the problems, we once had a Premier in QLD that done their duty creating fire brakes and all servicing as it should, but then we got the Socialist in and they demanded just leave it all alone but wanted no one to go into the bush lands. Their was a Professor who was trying to point out the madness of the Lefty's was just total ignorance and insane madness. but they attacked at him full on and tried to destroy him, typical of the Satanist that they truly are, you will know them by their works, yes they did much destruction to the lands out their and have the blood on their hands for all the people who have been burnt to death not to mention the hell they have cause so many people.
It's really sad to see that they can get away with all this rubbish and this is because of the Media are Satanist that are only full of lies, it is so corrupt and evil.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another myth created by the Anti-Trumpers and Never Trumpers.

Why are high tariffs necessary? So that manufacturing jobs and manufacturing industries RETURN TO America and the rate of unemployment goes down at the same time as pride in domestic goods increases.

Obviously the prices of goods manufactured in the USA will be higher than those imported from China and SE Asia, where *slave labor* allows manufacturers (state-controlled in China and Vietnam) to produce goods at very low prices, while heavily polluting their atmosphere.

By importing cheaply, Americans may think they are getting a good deal, when in fact they have shipped their jobs and industries to Asia. So tariffs are paid by the Asians and thus their imports will be more expensive. But the whole idea is to reduce those imports, and thus reduce the trade deficit. This actually strengthen America, and the increase in jobs under Trump cannot be questioned. However, the globalists want to see a weak America become just like a Third Word country. They all hate Trump because he is resisting globalism and Chinese domination.
What alternate universe are you living in? Trump la-la land?

I think you are completely bamboozled by Trump, believing everything he says. He lies about many things. Surely you know that. He gets confused by many things.

Tariffs are paid by the importing company or individual. They then either raise the price when they sell it retail or it reduces their profit. Thus the consumers are paying the tariffs. That's how tariffs work. So far many American companies have not wanted to raise their prices to cover the full amount of the tariffs; but most have raised prices some.

Who pays Trump's tariffs, China or U.S. customers and companies?

U.S. President Donald Trump says China pays the tariffs he has imposed on $250 billion of Chinese exports to the United States.

But that is not how tariffs work. China’s government and companies in China do not pay tariffs directly. Tariffs are a tax on imports. They are paid by U.S.-registered firms to U.S. customs for the goods they import into the United States.

Importers often pass the costs of tariffs on to customers - manufacturers and consumers in the United States - by raising their prices.

U.S. business executives and economists say U.S. consumers foot much of the bill through rising prices.

White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow has acknowledged that “both sides will suffer on this,” contradicting the president.

The problem with the tariffs on American soybeans, for example, is that Chinese importers have to pay those tariffs thus raising the cost to Chinese farmers. Thus it is cheaper for China to import soybeans from other countries, and soybean sales from the US to China fall. China isn't having trouble finding other countries to ship them agricultural products without those tariffs.

Trump is mostly right about cheap imports from China damaging the American economy. He doesn't seem to be tackling the problem in an intelligent way. China has a horrible record of abusing workers, paying them little or sometimes using prison labor -- so the Chinese companies get rich but the average Chinese citizen isn't making much. American companies can't compete with that kind of abusive labor practices. Prisoners are sometimes tortured if they aren't productive enough. How can the US compete with that kind of slave labor?

There was recent news about this: Inside the Chinese jail behind the Christmas card scandal