Under a curse

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i beleive a lot of ppl are led to believe that a public profession automatically makes them one of Christ's sheep, and i see that picking up one's cross and following has already been reasoned away
OK, I see that..........But do you believe what I asked before?

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 'heavy' cross we bear, if any, I see as having to :" Love God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind and all your strength, and love others as you love yourself." What could be harder for a fallen human being ? But as you said, we ARE supposed to serve in newness of His Life, which is SUPPOSED to make it easier for us, to obey His commandment. But as I have found, without Him right by my side, or in front of me, I cannot love that way, so it's imperative that I stick to Him like glue.... :)
You have made trying not to sin to be taking up the cross. I don't see the connection. Taking up the cross is exactly what it says. We take it up when we place our faith in it.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Taking up the cross is a decision of a one way street! A decision toward death. Once the crossbeam was laid on them there was no turning back.
They were headed toward death.
Jesus picked His up by love...1) love for His Father and 2) Love for His future Church Bride.
We too chose to pick our up for love sake. Love for the Father in drawing us to His Son, and love for the Son for paying our price of redemption.

Somewhere, forgotten where, it tells us to sit down and 'count the cost first.' The cost being , as Paul said..the death of the old man and living in the new man.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Wild Olive

Aug 9, 2017
New Braunfels
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was hoping someone could help answer a few questions, I read all the responses and I am unclear about a couple of things.

What exactly does it mean to pick up ones cross?

What works put a person under a curse?
Thank you,

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was hoping someone could help answer a few questions, I read all the responses and I am unclear about a couple of things.

Thank you,

Recognize that you're dead to self and live unto God.

Placing yourself under the Law places yourself under the curse of the Law.

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Thank you,

Stranger

Yep, what he said. :)
Jesus told us to- "take up our cross and follow Him."
In those old times, once a person had picked up the cross beam, it meant death...there was no going back.
Same with us...our face is set toward the place of the cross.
The Lord is no longer there...but for us, it is a laying down of our own will, plan and purpose an d a taking up of His.
We cannot do this, even as the Children of Israel could not keep the old law..." If ye, by the Spirit mortify the flesh..." So that is why we emphasis 'walking in the Spirit'... that is the victory.

The works that put is back under law, if the belief system that we can 'earn' anything by doing good works..that we, somehow earn brownie points with God. In the bible that is called " dead-works".
But, kind and good deeds inspired and led by God, and shown in our life as "good fruit."
I am just waffling here...I tend to do that ha!
Other people may see things differently than I do. But, that is how 'I' read the scriptures you referred to. :)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In those old times, once a person had picked up the cross beam, it meant death...there was no going back.
The Lord is no longer there...but for us, it is a laying down of our own will, plan and purpose an d a taking up of His.
We cannot do this, even as the Children of Israel could not keep the old law..." If ye, by the Spirit mortify the flesh..." So that is why we emphasis 'walking in the Spirit'... that is the victory.

The works that put is back under law, if the belief system that we can 'earn' anything by doing good works..that we, somehow earn brownie points with God. In the bible that is called " dead-works".
But, kind and good deeds inspired and led by God, and shown in our life as "good fruit."
Other people may see things differently than I do. But, that is how 'I' read the scriptures you referred to. :)

Amen to that.

Stranger

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the curse is dualism, which separates us into 'friend' and 'enemy'. As soon as we decided the fruit of the Tree was 'good' to eat, we started labeling everything we encountered as good or evil based on our desires. Jesus corrected us by stating that we do not know what is good, only God is Good. Yet, we persist, like dogs marking territory, sprinkling our opinions; declaring Gods good creation, 'good' or 'evil' based on personal/tribal benefit. This is the nature of our curse, which ultimately seeks radical individualism/separation/Hell.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and FHII

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think the curse is dualism, which separates us into 'friend' and 'enemy'. As soon as we decided the fruit of the Tree was 'good' to eat, we started labeling everything we encountered as good or evil based on our desires. Jesus corrected us by stating that we do not know what is good, only God is Good. Yet, we persist, like dogs marking territory, sprinkling our opinions; declaring Gods good creation, 'good' or 'evil' based on personal/tribal benefit. This is the nature of our curse, which ultimately seeks radical individualism/separation/Hell.

Well Aspen..you have the word for me today! :)
Again, a real blessing!!

I have been shot down so many times when I had dared to say..that the "good" side of the Tree they were forbidden to eat of....is NOT fine for us to eat!!
We are quick to judge " good or bad"...in so many situations..but the judgment is crooked because of our base line.
We are tricked into looking at "good or evil", and "right or wrong"...(which is usually through the carnal mind) when all the time ,whatever the issue is, should be discerned as to whether it is 'spirit and life'...
God is very interested in "Truth and Life" ...that to me, is the acid test.

....H

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009 and aspen

Wild Olive

Aug 9, 2017
New Braunfels
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger
Thanks so much for your reply.
But how does one place themselves under the law, what does that look like exactly?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I made a whoops there...I have edited it now..and put a NOT ..
where was talking about the "good" side (to in our own eyes,like Eve- deceived ) of that Tree ...

Reactions: aspen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But how does one place themselves under the law, what does that look like exactly?

To me, it is in believing we are still under the "do bad, get bad."
Rather than instant repentance and walking clean and clear in The Light.
ie..some gentiles believed that they needed to add Circumcision to their salvation....( to become fully saved) which is "adding to" the finished work of Christ...Paul called that " fallen from Grace."
They had forgot that they were living under grace, not their own works.
We "do good", not to earn, but because we LOVE God. . When that changes in our lives and we start living under " I ought-to do", we have swung back to the law, believing that "we" can do something to add to our salvation.

Wild Olive

Aug 9, 2017
New Braunfels
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thanks for the reply.
I understand that no one is saved by the law. Once we are saved from our sin by the blood of the lamb do we not walk according to the Word of God? Is that not works? In Dueteronomy God calls walking according the commandments life and sin brings the curse. Are we not saved so we can do good works? Sin is death and brings a curse but rightousness is life. Jesus took the curse for us by hanging on a tree. The curse is our due for our transgressions, it is death. Would we not do good works once we are realised from the curse of sin and death? I don't understand what dead works are compared to not dead works. Thanks for allowing me to share :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Wild Olive

Aug 9, 2017
New Braunfels
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me, it is in believing we are still under the "do bad, get bad."
Rather than instant repentance and walking clean and clear in The Light.
ie..some gentiles believed that they needed to add Circumcision to their salvation....( to become fully saved) which is "adding to" the finished work of Christ...Paul called that " fallen from Grace."
They had forgot that they were living under grace, not their own works.
We "do good", not to earn, but because we LOVE God. . When that changes in our lives and we start living under " I ought-to do", we have swung back to the law, believing that "we" can do something to add to our salvation.
I guess I still live under ought to. Like I ought to give more to the needy and I ought to be nicer to my husband (if you are married I hope you giggle a little on that one:). We really can not add to salvation it's a free gift. Once we are saved we have to walk through the valley, put on our armour and I don't know about you but I war against my flesh daily(some days hourly). I know that I must run this race and I am not really a huge fan of running but I need to keep my eyes on Jesus. The way I understand walking through the valley is that is walking according to God's will, His commandments, walking as Jesus did. Is that dead works, am I falling from grace or is this how we are supposed to walk? Thank you for the conversation!

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would say this, and it sounds trivial at first, but if one has the 10 commandments hanging up in their house somewhere, there is a good chance you are walking by law.

To walk by the law means it is the obedience to it or disobedience to it that causes you joy or grief. If you feel like you are doing good by the law then you feel as if God is pleased with you. If you fail in the law then you feel God is disappointed in you.

If you walk by the law, you are trying to force your flesh to obey. And it will never work. You may do well at times but it is only temporary. And no matter how well you do, you still come to 'Thou shalt not covet'. Which means, 'did you want to'.

Stranger