Video Games

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

walking4him

Mar 31, 2008
Since the new Grand theft Auto was released today GTA IV I'd like to ask this question is playing one of these types of games sinful. If one is mature enough in Christ to know not to ever let some of these acts enter into their hearts, is it ok to play the games. The last two installments that I played (before I came to Christ) I didn't even play the main story but just drove around and enjoyed the "sandbox" style.

Lyn

Apr 11, 2008
I was wondering this the other day too, not about gta but about other games :|

medicalmatt

Jul 22, 2007
Is it sinful? My answer at the moment is, I'm not sure, and it's probably a matter of conscience. I don't know much about the games, so I'm sure I'm not the best judge of the matter. But I've heard that the premise is basically that you drive around and get points for hitting people, particularly police, children, and the elderly. That really doesn't sound like a "game" that a Christian should be playing. I think a big problem today is desensitization to evil acts because they are made so commonplace, and accepting them because they are made into jokes and games.Maybe a case can be made for, like you said, not following the main story (which I assume is the police officer killing type thing I mentioned earlier?) and just driving around, but then by buying the game you are supporting the game, and giving the makers money to do more of the same, not to mention from their perspective, you are making an approving "vote" of their game by buying it. Anyway, those are my thoughts, uninformed as they are.

medicalmatt

Jul 22, 2007
The rule I plan to use with my children, when they grow up, is if you wouldn't do it in real life, you shouldn't do it in play...be it on the computer or out in the backyard. So I won't let them play a game that has them running people over in a car for points...but I can see myself allowing them to play strategic army games (like Age of Empires! I loved that game
biggrin.gif
) because it can be noble to defend one's country in battle, etc. They can play together with toy guns and shoot at invaders, monsters, etc, but I won't let them shoot at each other. Those are my tentative thoughts at least...thankfully I have a little bit of time before my 3 month old is old enough that I have to have these things decided!
biggrin.gif

walking4him

Mar 31, 2008
Wow you are so uninformed. There has been one game that I recall that you got points or rewarded for injuring people and that was based of a movie. The premise of this game GTA IV is:
Niko Bellic is from the former Yugoslavia,[28] between 31 and 32 years of age and is a veteran of the Bosnian war. He has come to Liberty City to pursue the "American Dream". Niko was persuaded to move to Liberty City by his cousin Roman, who claimed in multiple e-mails to Niko that he was living a fabulous life, with a mansion, women, hot tubs and sports cars. Roman's claims turn out to be lies to hide his own failures, however, and in reality he only owns a small taxi business, which he wants Niko to work for.Roman is the only person Niko knows in Liberty City to begin with, and is one of his major connections in the first part of the game. Niko is a tough character, whereas Roman is friendly. Roman is heavily in debt and a lot of people are after him. He desperately needs Niko's support, hence the reason he deceived Niko into traveling to Liberty City. They are constantly bickering. It is later revealed that one of the reasons Niko, as an ex-soldier, goes to Liberty City, is to track down the man who betrayed his old army unit.The story features two possible endings, all of which feature different mission strands depending on which choice the player makes at certain points in the game
While the main story has you do underhand things you can decide to do many other things like use the police computer to find the 20 most wanted in the City bring them in and get a reward. I don't mind them making games like this so when someone decides to make a positive game the ground work has already been set.

medicalmatt

Jul 22, 2007
Hmm, well like I said, you can fit my knowledge of video games/computer games on the head of a pin. Why is it called Grand Theft Auto then? The name doesn't seem to fit the plotline at all.

walking4him

Mar 31, 2008
I believe that the first which was really the 3rd (don't ask) you played a professional driver who escapes from prison to get revenge on the people who set you up. It's also a marketing thing

medicalmatt

Jul 22, 2007
Gotcha. Well then I'll let my above comments stand as a general rule about how I feel about video/computer games, and refrain from commenting about specific games, since I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about!
smile.gif