Water Baptism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two places in the Bible that I do not feel support baptismal regeneration (water baptism necessary for salvation) are as follows.

1 Pet 3:18-22

18 For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit,
19 through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison
20 who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,
21 and this water """symbolizes""" baptism that now saves you also-- not the removal of dirt from the body [by water] but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
22 who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand-- with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.
(NIV)

Verse 21 in the NKJV reads:

21 There is also an “””antitype””” which now saves us-- baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
(NKJ)

At the end of verse 20, we read that, eight souls, were saved ""through" water. It is not that they were saved "by" water; they were saved "through" the water. Water was not the savior, but the judgment through which God brought them. If the people in the Ark, left the Ark, they would have drowned in the water. Therefore it is obvious that the water was not salvation.

To properly understand this statement in verse 20 and the verse that follows, we must see the typical meaning of the Ark and the flood. The Ark is a picture of the Lord Jesus Christ. The flood of water depicts the judgment of God. The Ark was the only way of salvation. When the flood came, only those who were inside were saved; all those on the outside perished. So Christ is the only way of salvation; those who are "in Christ" (Romans 8:1-2, 2 Cor. 1:21-22, 2 Cor. 5:17) are as saved as God Himself can make them. Those on the outside could not be more lost.

The water was not the means of salvation, for all who were in the water drowned. The Ark was the place of refuge and the only means of salvation. The Ark went ""through"" the water of judgment; it took the full brunt of the storm. Not a drop of water reached those inside the Ark. So Christ bore the fury of God's judgment against our sins. For those who are "in Him" there is no judgment (John 5:24).

Actually, there is a baptism which saves us --- not our baptism in water, but a baptism which took place at Calvary almost 2000 years ago; Christ's death was a baptism (see Mark 10:38). He was baptized in the waters of judgment. This is what He meant when He said, "I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished" (Luke 12:50). The psalmist described this baptism in the words, "Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; all Your waves and billows have gone over me" (Psalms 42:7). In His death, Christ was baptized in the waves and billows of God's wrath, and it is this baptism that is the basis for our salvation; Christ's baptism unto death on the cross. Today the Holy Spirit baptizes us into His baptism on the cross. It is the Holy Spirit that does this, not man. That is what it means to be buried with Him. Our water baptism "represents" our identification with Him only. It does not save us.

Many people use John 3:1-6 to support water baptism. -- But what do these scriptures really say?

**** Scripture
John 3:1-6 .. (NIV)
1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council.
2 He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."
3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."
4 "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"
5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.
**** end scripture

It seems to me that in verses 3 and 4 there are only two births being discussed, a man's first birth in the flesh and a necessary second birth of the Spirit. -- Notice that in verse 5 he used the words "born of water" and then "the spirit" and in verse 6, "WHICH AMPLIFIES VERSE 5," He uses the words "birth to flesh" and then "birth to spirit." Nicodemus has brought up the subject of being born in the flesh for a second time. What has been said is that physical birth is not enough. Some will disagree but I believe he is talking about our physical birth "birth to flesh" in verse 5 and that there is another birth, "birth to spirit" which is accomplished by the Holy Spirit (NOT MAN)

Since the word baptism was not included in the text, to add it is to change the meaning of the word of God to fit into the theologies of men.

It has been said by another: I think it would be trivial to tell Nicodemus that he had to be born of the water if this meant physical birth. After all, he had already gone through this birth. Why bother to tell him then? -- Why, because it was Nicodemus that brought up the idea of going back into the womb and being born again.

Context is everything. Nowhere in the conversation has water baptism been mentioned. In John 3, verse 6 we see the words "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. " There is absolutely no mention of water baptism. Only two things are under discussion, being born of the flesh and being born of the Spirit.

Reactions: Helen and Pisteuo

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two places in the Bible that I do not feel support baptismal regeneration (water baptism necessary for salvation) are as follows.

1 Pet 3:18-22

18 For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit,
19 through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison
20 who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,
21 and this water """symbolizes""" baptism that now saves you also-- not the removal of dirt from the body [by water] but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
22 who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand-- with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.
(NIV)

Verse 21 in the NKJV reads:

21 There is also an “””antitype””” which now saves us-- baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
(NKJ)

At the end of verse 20, we read that, eight souls, were saved ""through" water. It is not that they were saved "by" water; they were saved "through" the water. Water was not the savior, but the judgment through which God brought them. If the people in the Ark, left the Ark, they would have drowned in the water. Therefore it is obvious that the water was not salvation.

To properly understand this statement in verse 20 and the verse that follows, we must see the typical meaning of the Ark and the flood. The Ark is a picture of the Lord Jesus Christ. The flood of water depicts the judgment of God. The Ark was the only way of salvation. When the flood came, only those who were inside were saved; all those on the outside perished. So Christ is the only way of salvation; those who are "in Christ" (Romans 8:1-2, 2 Cor. 1:21-22, 2 Cor. 5:17) are as saved as God Himself can make them. Those on the outside could not be more lost.

The water was not the means of salvation, for all who were in the water drowned. The Ark was the place of refuge and the only means of salvation. The Ark went ""through"" the water of judgment; it took the full brunt of the storm. Not a drop of water reached those inside the Ark. So Christ bore the fury of God's judgment against our sins. For those who are "in Him" there is no judgment (John 5:24).

Actually, there is a baptism which saves us --- not our baptism in water, but a baptism which took place at Calvary almost 2000 years ago; Christ's death was a baptism (see Mark 10:38). He was baptized in the waters of judgment. This is what He meant when He said, "I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished" (Luke 12:50). The psalmist described this baptism in the words, "Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; all Your waves and billows have gone over me" (Psalms 42:7). In His death, Christ was baptized in the waves and billows of God's wrath, and it is this baptism that is the basis for our salvation; Christ's baptism unto death on the cross. Today the Holy Spirit baptizes us into His baptism on the cross. It is the Holy Spirit that does this, not man. That is what it means to be buried with Him. Our water baptism "represents" our identification with Him only. It does not save us.

Many people use John 3:1-6 to support water baptism. -- But what do these scriptures really say?

**** Scripture
John 3:1-6 .. (NIV)
1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council.
2 He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."
3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."
4 "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"
5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.
**** end scripture

It seems to me that in verses 3 and 4 there are only two births being discussed, a man's first birth in the flesh and a necessary second birth of the Spirit. -- Notice that in verse 5 he used the words "born of water" and then "the spirit" and in verse 6, "WHICH AMPLIFIES VERSE 5," He uses the words "birth to flesh" and then "birth to spirit." Nicodemus has brought up the subject of being born in the flesh for a second time. What has been said is that physical birth is not enough. Some will disagree but I believe he is talking about our physical birth "birth to flesh" in verse 5 and that there is another birth, "birth to spirit" which is accomplished by the Holy Spirit (NOT MAN)

Since the word baptism was not included in the text, to add it is to change the meaning of the word of God to fit into the theologies of men.

It has been said by another: I think it would be trivial to tell Nicodemus that he had to be born of the water if this meant physical birth. After all, he had already gone through this birth. Why bother to tell him then? -- Why, because it was Nicodemus that brought up the idea of going back into the womb and being born again.

Context is everything. Nowhere in the conversation has water baptism been mentioned. In John 3, verse 6 we see the words "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. " There is absolutely no mention of water baptism. Only two things are under discussion, being born of the flesh and being born of the Spirit.
Hi H. Richard,

I can show you that since the beginning of Christianity baptism was NOT taught as symbolic.

Can you show me where the teaching that baptism is just a symbol began?

Why do you choose to quote the translations that fit your belief and not the ones that debunk your belief?

Can you debunk the translations that don't fit your belief?

Mary

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was baptised of water, setting the example for us, so we should do it also.

But someone on their deathbed who cannot perform the ritual of water baptism, that still won't prevent Jesus from saving them, even as Jesus said to the thief that believed on Him that was crucified with Him, "To day, shalt thou be with Me in paradise." (Luke 23:43).

It is our faith that seals inwardly our belief on Christ Jesus as God's Promised Savior. But water baptism is to serve as an outward sealing of that same faith on Jesus Christ. So it's no less important IF we are able to do it.

Reactions: Wanting to Serve

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi H. Richard,

I can show you that since the beginning of Christianity baptism was NOT taught as symbolic.

Why do you choose to quote the translations that fit your belief and not the ones that debunk your belief?

Mary
It began as a water washing required under the Jewish law.

My study answers your question by giving the scriptures that say it was symbolic.

So you think everything can be debunked by other scriptures and of course you get to pick them. That is what most posters do.

I already did that in the study but of course you are blinded by your religious traditions.

Reactions: Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It began as a water washing required under the Jewish law.

My study answers your question by giving the scriptures that say it was symbolic.

So you think everything can be debunked by other scriptures and of course you get to pick them. That is what most posters do.

I already did that in the study but of course you are blinded by your religious traditions.
I agree with you about the Jewish law thing.

Translation of Scripture that you cherry picked to fit your belief. :(

Not debunked by scripture. Debunked by the PROPER translation of scripture AND historical Christian writings, beliefs and practices that began while the Apostles were still alive.

If you did the study you would see that your theory is not based on Christian history.

You have fallen for the 500 year tradition of men. If you can show me where YOUR tradition began AND it started before my tradition began I will come over to the dark side. Obviously you can't show me or else I suspect you would have.

Mary

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you about the Jewish law thing.

Translation of Scripture that you cherry picked to fit your belief. :(

Not debunked by scripture. Debunked by the PROPER translation of scripture AND historical Christian writings, beliefs and practices that began while the Apostles were still alive.

If you did the study you would see that your theory is not based on Christian history.

You have fallen for the 500 year tradition of men. If you can show me where YOUR tradition began AND it started before my tradition began I will come over to the dark side. Obviously you can't show me or else I suspect you would have.

Mary

This means nothing. See my thread with the title "Evidence of a great doctrinal apostasy". It started even before Paul died and the RCC made it a religion.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This means nothing. See my thread with the title "Evidence of a great doctrinal apostasy". It started even before Paul died and the RCC made it a religion.
Your post mean nothing. Now we are back to square one.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your post mean nothing. Now we are back to square one.

All you can do is write your opinions just as I am doing. My studies, and threads on water baptism and repentance is as I see it; my opinions as to what the scriptures say. They reflect what I believe.

You can continue to poost the same thing (see your reply #2) if you wish but I have already addressed what you said then and see no reason to repeat it.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

All you can do is write your opinions just as I am doing. My studies, and threads on water baptism and repentance is as I see it; my opinions as to what the scriptures say. They reflect what I believe.
That's what I thought. You can't show me.

The FACT is that baptism is symbolic theory started AFTER the reformation. The reformers of the reformers started your tradition. Learn your Christian history.

I don't have opinions. I have facts. Since it would be a waste of time for me to give the facts here is a good start for you to learn your Christian history and gain knowledge: Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church Fathers

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Mary

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what I thought. You can't show me.

The FACT is that baptism is symbolic theory started AFTER the reformation. The reformers of the reformers started your tradition. Learn your Christian history.

I don't have opinions. I have facts. Since it would be a waste of time for me to give the facts here is a good start for you to learn your Christian history and gain knowledge: Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church Fathers

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Mary

Mary, I already have the writings that are recording in the Bible. The writings you are talking about are those of men. If God had wanted them to be in the Bible He would have put them there.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To give you The Truth about The Church that Jesus Christ established.

Love Mary
Jesus did not establish the church for today under grace. Paul did.

1 Cor 3:10-12
10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder """""" I """" have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it.
11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
NKJV

The true church is not a church that man has built. It is God (the Holy Spirit) that is building it. It is not a religion of religious works and rituals.

quote "At the end of verse 20, we read that, eight souls, were saved ""through" water. It is not that they were saved "by" water; they were saved "through" the water. Water was not the savior, but the judgment through which God brought them. If the people in the Ark, left the Ark, they would have drowned in the water. Therefore it is obvious that the water was not salvation.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To give you The Truth about The Church that Jesus Christ established.
No you dont, you came to promote catholism that was created by men. Liek I said, you are digging a hole, soon you wont be able to climb out.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mary, I already have the writings that are recording in the Bible. The writings you are talking about are those of men. If God had wanted them to be in the Bible He would have put them there.
And not your writings of a man...are they not? Or are you a God?

Why should I believe what you say and not believe them???

The Church decided what is in your bible (table of contents) and that Church is of man. Did those men get the contents of the Bible wrong?

You didn’t have enough time to read the link i sent you so I am guessing you still don’t know your Christian history.

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you dont, you came to promote catholism that was created by men. Liek I said, you are digging a hole, soon you wont be able to climb out.
Who are you promoting?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did not establish the church for today under grace. Paul did.

1 Cor 3:10-12
10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder """""" I """" have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it.
11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
NKJV

The true church is not a church that man has built. It is God (the Holy Spirit) that is building it. It is not a religion of religious works and rituals.

quote "At the end of verse 20, we read that, eight souls, were saved ""through" water. It is not that they were saved "by" water; they were saved "through" the water. Water was not the savior, but the judgment through which God brought them. If the people in the Ark, left the Ark, they would have drowned in the water. Therefore it is obvious that the water was not salvation.
Really? Jesus didn’t establish the church for today? Paul did? Hmmmm....from whom do you get this teaching?

Mary

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
By Marymog; Really? Jesus didn’t establish the church for today? Paul did? Hmmmm....from whom do you get this teaching?

Paul, by the Holy Spirit, probably started close to 20 churches, with many more born out of those by his apprentice leaders.

In Asia alone the NT mentions Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea, Colossae, and Hieropolis. Ephesus was really a city full of churches meeting in homes and from that work all the others were started.

So while starting upwards of 20 churches in one’s life is impressive, what is far more impressive is how many daughters, grand-daughters and great-grand-daughters were birthed from those.

When Paul left earth in the end of his life he not only left some church plants, he left the DNA of a movement that would eventually spread to the extent that even the Roman Empire itself would surrender to Christianity (for better or worse).
History was changed in dramatic fashion through this one man’s obedience.

He established the first European Church in Lydia's house.