"We all be the same...tell me why, tell me why, we're divided...?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I keep hearing this song on Christian radio; and it has elements of wrongness to it.

It implies that we ought to compromise truth for the sake of unity.

I will answer the question...we are divided because we don't study to show ourselves approved so that we might know what the Bible teaches (2 Timothy 2:15, Acts of the Apostles 17:11)...and also, when we do understand what it teaches, many people do not like it, so they heap to themselves teachers to tell them what their itching ears want to hear...and in doing so they follow that new teacher and forsake sound doctrine (which is the only thing that true Christians can be unified over, other than the fact that we are redeemed through His shed blood) for what may eventually turn out to be fables (2 Timothy 4:1-5).

Now the key to unity in the body of Christ is, first and foremost, the shed blood of Jesus Christ as it is applied to us unto forgiveness of sin(s); and secondarily, it has to do with adhering to sound doctrine when we hear it.

Thus we have the statements found in 1 Corinthians 1:10, Romans 15:5-6, and Philippians 2:1-2.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It implies that we ought to compromise truth for the sake of unity.

I will answer the question...we are divided because we don't study to show ourselves approved so that we might know what the Bible teaches (2 Timothy 2:15, Acts of the Apostles 17:11)...and also, when we do understand what it teaches, many people do not like it, so they heap to themselves teachers to tell them what their itching ears want to hear...and in doing so they follow that new teacher and forsake sound doctrine (which is the only thing that true Christians can be unified over, other than the fact that we are redeemed through His shed blood) for what may eventually turn out to be fables (2 Timothy 4:1-5).

Now the key to unity in the body of Christ is, first and foremost, the shed blood of Jesus Christ as it is applied to us unto forgiveness of sin(s); and secondarily, it has to do with adhering to sound doctrine when we hear it.

Thus we have the statements found in 1 Corinthians 1:10, Romans 15:5-6, and Philippians 2:1-2.

I don't think that we compromise truth for the sake of unity...because sameness is not oneness.
Paul had his job to do, and Peter had his.
Because there are many callings...we often serve in different areas.

All the House Of Levi did not serve in the same way. Some priests served at the altar of sacrifice in the outer court, some baked the shew bread in the Holy Place, etc etc...they all served in their own place.
I believe we all have different emphasis...we are not all cookie cutters.
The stiff comes when we expect everyone else to think like me, act like me, and believe just like me. In other words..."I am right and all the others are wrong.."

As you say...the common line is our foundation in the saving grace of God through Jesus Christ on the cross...and the shed blood.
I find that the trouble comes when one person attacks what another believes. If we are ASKED then we give an answer...other than that, we try to help the other along the Path of Life.

Just my opinion....

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think that we compromise truth for the sake of unity...because sameness is not oneness.
Paul had his job to do, and Peter had his.
Because there are many callings...we often serve in different areas.

All the House Of Levi did not serve in the same way. Some priests served at the altar of sacrifice in the outer court, some baked the shew bread in the Holy Place, etc etc...they all served in their own place.
I believe we all have different emphasis...we are not all cookie cutters.
The stiff comes when we expect everyone else to think like me, act like me, and believe just like me. In other words..."I am right and all the others are wrong.."

As you say...the common line is our foundation in the saving grace of God through Jesus Christ on the cross...and the shed blood.
I find that the trouble comes when one person attacks what another believes. If we are ASKED then we give an answer...other than that, we try to help the other along the Path of Life.

Just my opinion....
Amen Helen. I believe that God is more interested in how we treat and react to others. Even those whom hurt us. Do we return bad for bad? Do not think that is His way ♥ And yes! If asked we are to be ready to answer for our hope! 1 Peter3:15-16 "... Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have..."
No need to litter the sidewalks with tracks. We are surrounded by so many lost people that we interact with, some on a daily basis, some not so much but either way, will we choose to interact with the Love of Christ?

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all different members of the body. You may be an eye, and I might be an ear, someone else might be a foot.

Does the ear say, "because I am not an eye, I am not of the body..." he might indeed do that; but it doesn't make him not of the body.

Yes indeed, we are all different; and God never intended Christianity to be a "cookie cutter" operation.

However concerning doctrine, we are to agree on the essentials and to seek to be in unity of the truth concerning the non-essentials also (see Luke 16:10 and the verses referenced in the OP).

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I keep hearing this song on Christian radio; and it has elements of wrongness to it. It implies that we ought to compromise truth for the sake of unity.
Christians are divided primarily because some hold fast to the truths proclaimed in the Bible -- the Word of God -- while many choose to either distort them, or create their own man-made doctrines and elevate them to the level of Christ.

Christian unity must originate from a united belief about the essentials of Christianity. And unfortunately that is not possible, and will not happen, because those who promote and teach error refuse to repent and return to the truth. As the Bible says: Can two walk together, except they be agreed? (Amos 3:3).

Paul already exhorted Christians to ensure that they recognized the difference between light and darkness, between Christ and Belial (Satan), and governed their fellowship accordingly:

2 CORINTHIANS 6
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Reactions: justbyfaith

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However concerning doctrine, we are to agree on the essentials and to seek to be in unity of the truth concerning the non-essentials also (see Luke 16:10 and the verses referenced in the OP).
And herein is much of the problem as some feel they must decide for others what is essential and what is not. Again as I believe the scripture does also teach, the correct answer lies with what each of us does with what he has. God alone is a qualified judge Has He given anyone else the ability and the authority to act on His behalf in this?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, we are not all the same. Some of us are born again of the Holy Spirit; and others aren't.
And then will come the argument as it already has even here on this forum as to who is born of the Spirit and who is not; and of those who are born of the Spirit as to which ones are always following the lead of the Holy Spirit and which ones are too often quenching the Spirit.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And herein is much of the problem as some feel they must decide for others what is essential and what is not. Again as I believe the scripture does also teach, the correct answer lies with what each of us does with what he has. God alone is a qualified judge Has He given anyone else the ability and the authority to act on His behalf in this?

Haha! Very true and is that not what sets off some of the arguments on any Forum. = " If you don't agree with my way of seeing it..then you are wrong and I am right."
Many just "have to be" right for some reason.
There is so much that I believe....but not so much that I would dare to say .."I am right.." I think that I am, but I would never claim it.
:D
...18530d0f-12c3-4905-840f-4acc7f548f2d.jpg

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed He has (1 Corinthians 6:2-3). But of course it it up to Him to decide who "the saints' are in that passage.

I would think that His word might be the determining factor (also concerning what is essential doctrine).

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then will come the argument as it already has even here on this forum as to who is born of the Spirit and who is not; and of those who are born of the Spirit as to which ones are always following the lead of the Holy Spirit and which ones are too often quenching the Spirit.
Therefore if you do not know that you know that you know that you are born of the Spirit; your only option is to seek the Lord on this: and also to consider carefully anything that is spoken by those who claim that they do know that they know that they know (as I do).

Because while those who make this claim may be making that claim falsely; yet the fact that they are making the claim merits examination at the very least in the following manner: Do they practice what they preach?

Someone who claims that all are sinners is not a hypocrite if he sins; but someone who claims to be holy is a hypocrite when he sins. because hypocrisy means that the person says one thing and does another.

And you may indeed find in the long run that the one who claims to be a sinner will be more like Jesus than those who claim to be holy; because he recognizes that he is a sinner before the Lord and is therefore open to correction by Him.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible teaches that in the last days people will heap up to themselves teachers to tell them what their itching ears want to hear (2 Timothy 4:1-5).

Therefore the exhortation I would give is, Study to shew thyself approved unto God; a workman that needeth not to be ashamed; rightly dividing the word of truth. And, be a Berean (as, in Acts of the Apostles 17:11).

Because after the days of Paul, it is evident from scripture that many grievous wolves shall come in teaching perverse things, in order to draw people after themselves, not sparing the flock (Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30).

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?

Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf

It is Jesus that unites us. In Him we are made one. If we are one in Him, how then can we not bear with one another in love?

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous, it is not inflated,

it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,

it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.

It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think that I am, but I would never claim it.
Well you can always name it and claim it.:)

All jokes aside, if by now you are not absolutely certain about essential Bible truths, then God help us all.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well you can always name it and claim it.:)

All jokes aside, if by now you are not absolutely certain about essential Bible truths, then God help us all.

No my friend. On our foundational truths I am unmovable ...but things like the Rapture , Revelation, Millenial reign , end time things...and lots of that kind of thing...I know what ‘ I’believe.
But it makes me laugh when I see people arguing about those things and “claiming” that they are CLEAR in scripture. ...which they are NOT, some scripture leans one way , and some another.

That’s all. :)

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed He has (1 Corinthians 6:2-3). But of course it it up to Him to decide who "the saints' are in that passage.

I would think that His word might be the determining factor (also concerning what is essential doctrine).
And perhaps this is all the answer for us. Who is able to understand it all?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And perhaps this is all the answer for us. Who is able to understand it all?
As one of the saints of my denomination/movement once spoke, "Jesus reduce me to love."

I think that if we just focus in on the gospel itself (in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, John 3:16); that Jesus died in our place taking the penalty for our sin(s): and if we love Him in return for what He has done for us; really love Him: then we will be faithful in the little things (concerning doctrine especially); and this will show that we can also be faithful in much (Luke 16:10).

The only way anyone can understand scripture is to know the author through personal relationship and get the scoop from Him (1 Corinthians 2:13-14).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore if you do not know that you know that you know that you are born of the Spirit; your only option is to seek the Lord on this: and also to consider carefully anything that is spoken by those who claim that they do know that they know that they know (as I do).
And who are those then who as you say know without any doubt? Daily must we come before Him not living on what has past, not even those things which have been good things, for today is the day. Still are there not those who come into delusion because they leaned on that which something which was good until it became as Nehushtan? Consider for example that Adam and Eve had everything "very good" until they lost it by taking hold of a delusion.

Because while those who make this claim may be making that claim falsely; yet the fact that they are making the claim merits examination at the very least in the following manner: Do they practice what they preach?
And who is the one who makes the examination? Each of us perhaps if are considering taking it on as our own, but otherwise? Perhaps then for others who ask of us by their open hearts. Others?
And you may indeed find in the long run that the one who claims to be a sinner will be more like Jesus than those who claim to be holy; because he recognizes that he is a sinner before the Lord and is therefore open to correction by Him.
But when we have good in us from God, how and why should we testify of our present evil... if we are not asking for help? Of course, one may then ask, Who has good in them? How does a person recognize what is good as opposed to evil? At the end of Genesis chapter one it was all "very good", but now where is the good?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As one of the saints of my denomination/movement once spoke, "Jesus reduce me to love."

I think that if we just focus in on the gospel itself (in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, John 3:16); that Jesus died in our place taking the penalty for our sin(s): and if we love Him in return for what He has done for us; really love Him: then we will be faithful in the little things; and this will show that we can also be faithful in much (Luke 16:10).

The only way anyone can understand scripture is to know the author through personal relationship and get the scoop from Him (1 Corinthians 2:13-14).
As we come to know Him, we will be given everything that is needed at the time it is needed. We will not know things just because we want to have an answer to satisfy our own curiosity or to win a debate on a forum like this one. There is a reason why God gives us an answer when He does. Sometimes He let us know why and sometimes He does not, or at least not immediately.