What Did Paul Mean By These Words?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me say first off that this is not a set up question where I'm already fully decided on the answer and just want to know what everyone else's opinion is. I am definitely leaning in a certain direction, but the following is an honest inquiry for input.

In Galatians 4:3, Colossians 2:8, and Colossians 2:20, Paul used the expression τῶν στοιχείων τοῦ κόσμου, which as I will show in a second translates into "the principles of the world." What principles was he talking about by this repeated phrase, and why did he refer to them as such?

For starters, about the translation, he uses the phrase in combination with the phrase "the traditions of man" and the word "philosophies" in Colossians 2:8. The reading is "βλέπετε μή τις ὑμᾶς ἔσται ὁ συλαγωγῶν διὰ τῆς φιλοσοφίας καὶ κενῆς ἀπάτης, κατὰ τὴν παράδοσιν τῶν ἀνθρώπων, κατὰ τὰ στοιχεῖα τοῦ κόσμου καὶ οὐ κατὰ Χριστόν" which translates as, "Take heed that there not be anyone making a prey of you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the traditions of man, according to the principles of the world, and not according to Christ." So there is a clear common element to these phrases; all refer in general to false, naturalistic (i.e. humanistic) teachings.

Then he uses just the word "principles" (στοιχεῖα) as a stand alone in Galatians 4:9, "how do you turn again to the weak and beggarly principles to which you again desire to serve anew?," referring back to the full phrase τὰ στοιχεῖα τοῦ κόσμου in Galatians 4:3.

When you take all these things into consideration, the word alone must mean "principles" and the entire phrase means "principles of the world."

So the question again becomes: What principles specifically was he talking about by the use of this repeated phrase, and why did he refer to them as such?

Blessings in Christ. Any and all responses are appreciated.

Principle~
a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.

Gentiles were/are the primary teachers of Philosophies of mans Carnal Minded Ideas, Thoughts, Logical (this over that) conclusions.

Paul was the primary teacher of Gentiles, introducting THEM TO;
The Hebrew/Tribes of Israel Heavenly God and His Christ Messiah.

Paul's teaching centered on ONE Principle TRUTH coming forth from Jesus Christ;
OPPOSED to multiple man-devised philosophies (which requires Logically, Carnally, choosing one belief over another).

In brief~
Paul's Teaching, centers on:
A difference between:
ONE Spiritual Truth of Christ Jesus,
OPPOSED to Multiple Philosophies of multiple Carnal Minded men.

Glory to God,
Taken

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Let me say first off that this is not a set up question where I'm already fully decided on the answer and just want to know what everyone else's opinion is. I am definitely leaning in a certain direction, but the following is an honest inquiry for input.

In Galatians 4:3, Colossians 2:8, and Colossians 2:20, Paul used the expression τῶν στοιχείων τοῦ κόσμου, which as I will show in a second translates into "the principles of the world." What principles was he talking about by this repeated phrase, and why did he refer to them as such?

For starters, about the translation, he uses the phrase in combination with the phrase "the traditions of man" and the word "philosophies" in Colossians 2:8. The reading is "βλέπετε μή τις ὑμᾶς ἔσται ὁ συλαγωγῶν διὰ τῆς φιλοσοφίας καὶ κενῆς ἀπάτης, κατὰ τὴν παράδοσιν τῶν ἀνθρώπων, κατὰ τὰ στοιχεῖα τοῦ κόσμου καὶ οὐ κατὰ Χριστόν" which translates as, "Take heed that there not be anyone making a prey of you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the traditions of man, according to the principles of the world, and not according to Christ." So there is a clear common element to these phrases; all refer in general to false, naturalistic (i.e. humanistic) teachings.

Then he uses just the word "principles" (στοιχεῖα) as a stand alone in Galatians 4:9, "how do you turn again to the weak and beggarly principles to which you again desire to serve anew?," referring back to the full phrase τὰ στοιχεῖα τοῦ κόσμου in Galatians 4:3.

When you take all these things into consideration, the word alone must mean "principles" and the entire phrase means "principles of the world."

So the question again becomes: What principles specifically was he talking about by the use of this repeated phrase, and why did he refer to them as such?

Blessings in Christ. Any and all responses are appreciated.
The bible tells us we are IN the world, but not OF the world.

The world holds different values than Christians do....at least BAC i guess I should say since many call themselves Christian when obviously they are not by their behavior.

For instance, a principle that is widely accepted today that is of the world, is persons living together without the benefit of marriage...and this is done so they could "make sure" they get along - and - society accepts this, whereas Christians should not.

The world accepts homosexual marriage, whereas Christianity does not.
People steal from their employer, sometimes the most mundane things,,,maybe a stamp or two or more...but it's still stealing.

People lie to get jobs. Whatever the bible says not to do, it seems the world does.
Jesus said we're to behave differently in Mathew 5:3-9. We're not to be arrogant and prideful, but meek and seeking justice and gentle.

We shouldn't pile up for ourselves treasures of this world if we have to compromise our Christianity.

Maybe we should help the poor, the sick. However, even atheists do this.
I think Jesus meant that our attitude should be different, our values different, our beliefs different.

The principles of the world
vs the principles of Christianity.

Reactions: amadeus