What does Baptism means ??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
Hi to all and the Greek word BAPTIZO is translated Baptize and is a translitertated word because there is not an EQUIVALENT word or literal equivalent word in English .

Baptizo does not always mean Water as we shall see , and I many believers says that there are different MODES and ways to baptize .

#1 , John the Baptist in Matt 3:11 , by CONTEXT says it is water .

#2 , In Matt 3:11 , it say Christ will BAPTIZE with Holy Spirit , no water .

#3 , In Matt 3;11 , Christ will BAPTIZE with FIRE , NO water

#4 , In Acts 10:2 , Israel was BAPTIZED unto Moses in the CLOUD and in the SEA , a dry baptism , and Ex 14:21 and 22 walked on dry land ,

#5 , In 1 Cor 15:29 , here is a BAPTISM for the DEAD , dry baptism .

#6 , In 1 Cor 12:13 , the Holy Spirit baptizes all believers into the Body of Christ , another dry baptism .

#7 , In Hebrews 9:10 we have another Baptism called WASHING , which means BAPTISMOS and is water baptism .

#8 , Then in Acts 19:4 - 7 and this Baptism is the POWER of the Holy Spirit , and is a dry Baptism .

#9 , Then in Rom 6:3 we are all BAPTIZED into Jesus Christ were BAPTIZED into His DEATH , is ary baptism

#10 , And in Romans 6:4 , we also BAPTIZED we are BURIED with Him by BAPTISM into DEATH , which also dry .

#11 , Then Paul in Eph 4:5 , by the Holy Spirit , reveals that there is ONLY ONE BAPTISM , which is dry .

Now we see the delemma about what BAPTIZO really means and most of the time has nothing to do with WATER and that Baptism is not for today , dan p

dfj

Feb 10, 2011
Cordes Lakes, AZ
Probably, the best way to approach this area would be to allow the context of the verse to generate the correct usage of the term. The Greek term "baptizo", has been used in allegorical expressions, literally, and as a metaphorical literary device.

Storytelling and imagery are very important in Biblical narratives, as well as literal statements.

Baptizo as a literal term; one can be immersed in water, or the term can be used as a metaphor to describe a state of being; one can be immersed in conversation.

One must be very careful, when rendering conceptual understandings, especially in apologetics, not to create or generate doctrinal statements that harbor the incorrect usage of any term.

In many cases, the term "baptize", like the term, "name", has been entirely misunderstood in its context and has caused confusion and division within the Body of Believers.

This is a very good term to try to understand contextual term usage.

Thanks for the topic.

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
Probably, the best way to approach this area would be to allow the context of the verse to generate the correct usage of the term. The Greek term "baptizo", has been used in allegorical expressions, literally, and as a metaphorical literary device.

Storytelling and imagery are very important in Biblical narratives, as well as literal statements.

Baptizo as a literal term; one can be immersed in water, or the term can be used as a metaphor to describe a state of being; one can be immersed in conversation.

One must be very careful, when rendering conceptual understandings, especially in apologetics, not to create or generate doctrinal statements that harbor the incorrect usage of any term.

In many cases, the term "baptize", like the term, "name", has been entirely misunderstood in its context and has caused confusion and division within the Body of Believers.

This is a very good term to try to understand contextual term usage.

Thanks for the topic.

Hi DR Jones , and lets relive Noah situation .

The people that were Water or Immersed were those OUTSIDE THE ARK , and the people that were saved stayed DRY , but thanks for your input and I know that many people are DEPENDING on their Baptism to save them , dan p

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
Document your statement please. Where is your research?

Hi tw , There are many churchs that I attended in my youth where Water Baptism was required , and if you went to a sister church you had ot be Baptized to vote , and to take the Lord's Supper ,
Just look on other christian forums and you will see many that believe that water saves them , who are you KIDDING , DAN P

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Hi tw , There are many churchs that I attended in my youth where Water Baptism was required , and if you went to a sister church you had ot be Baptized to vote , and to take the Lord's Supper ,
dan p
Why wouldn't you want to be baptized in water???

dfj

Feb 10, 2011
Cordes Lakes, AZ
Hi DR Jones , and lets relive Noah situation .

The people that were Water or Immersed were those OUTSIDE THE ARK , and the people that were saved stayed DRY , but thanks for your input and I know that many people are DEPENDING on their Baptism to save them , dan p

Same today Dan. Those who are immersed in Christ, (the ekklesia), are saved and those who are not immersed in Him are not saved.

Reactions: Joseph77

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
Same today Dan. Those who are immersed in Christ, (the ekklesia), are saved and those who are not immersed in Him are not saved.

Hi Dr Jones , and I see that only those who saved today , can be called to be " in Christ " in the Age of Grace .

Rom 6:3 , it does not mean baptized , but means to be PLACED into His death and verse 6:4 , really means to be buried into His death and water will never accomplish it , which is and operation of the Holy Spirit , dan p

bling

May 5, 2009
Hi to all and the Greek word BAPTIZO is translated Baptize and is a translitertated word because there is not an EQUIVALENT word or literal equivalent word in English .

Baptizo does not always mean Water as we shall see , and I many believers says that there are different MODES and ways to baptize .

#1 , John the Baptist in Matt 3:11 , by CONTEXT says it is water .

#2 , In Matt 3:11 , it say Christ will BAPTIZE with Holy Spirit , no water .

#3 , In Matt 3;11 , Christ will BAPTIZE with FIRE , NO water

#4 , In Acts 10:2 , Israel was BAPTIZED unto Moses in the CLOUD and in the SEA , a dry baptism , and Ex 14:21 and 22 walked on dry land ,

#5 , In 1 Cor 15:29 , here is a BAPTISM for the DEAD , dry baptism .

#6 , In 1 Cor 12:13 , the Holy Spirit baptizes all believers into the Body of Christ , another dry baptism .

#7 , In Hebrews 9:10 we have another Baptism called WASHING , which means BAPTISMOS and is water baptism .

#8 , Then in Acts 19:4 - 7 and this Baptism is the POWER of the Holy Spirit , and is a dry Baptism .

#9 , Then in Rom 6:3 we are all BAPTIZED into Jesus Christ were BAPTIZED into His DEATH , is ary baptism

#10 , And in Romans 6:4 , we also BAPTIZED we are BURIED with Him by BAPTISM into DEATH , which also dry .

#11 , Then Paul in Eph 4:5 , by the Holy Spirit , reveals that there is ONLY ONE BAPTISM , which is dry .

Now we see the delemma about what BAPTIZO really means and most of the time has nothing to do with WATER and that Baptism is not for today , dan p

With Noah the whole earth was baptized washing away all the sin and starting a fresh with new clean world.

The Ack was immersed in water and Noah and the others were in the ack, so were they not immersed also?

I do not agree with you interpretation of Acts 19: 4-7 since in the orginal Greek there is a conjuction between Acts 19: 5 and 6. The translators often show it as two sentences not to confuse the reader into thinking it is the same idea just stated two different ways. Conjuctions in the Greek are used to show two seperate things (ideas or actions) so this Baptism was one thing and the laying on of hands by an apostle to recieve the maraculous portion of the Holy Spirit was another seperate act. If you have some Greek scholar to say differently I would be interested?

dan p

Mar 26, 2009
With Noah the whole earth was baptized washing away all the sin and starting a fresh with new clean world.

The Ack was immersed in water and Noah and the others were in the ack, so were they not immersed also?

I do not agree with you interpretation of Acts 19: 4-7 since in the orginal Greek there is a conjuction between Acts 19: 5 and 6. The translators often show it as two sentences not to confuse the reader into thinking it is the same idea just stated two different ways. Conjuctions in the Greek are used to show two seperate things (ideas or actions) so this Baptism was one thing and the laying on of hands by an apostle to recieve the maraculous portion of the Holy Spirit was another seperate act. If you have some Greek scholar to say differently I would be interested?

Hi bling , and I will ask tomorrow .

#1 , the context of verse , there is no water .

#2 , If it is , then they would have been BAPTIZED twice , right ??

#3 , Why just these 12 ???

dan p