What does it mean to be born again?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What does this scripture say to you?

John 1:17-18 KJV
[17] For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. [18] No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Joh 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
Joh 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
Joh 1:7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
Joh 1:8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Joh 1:15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
Joh 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
Joh 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Joh 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

exēgeomai
6x: to be a leader; to detail, to set forth in language; to tell, narrate, recount, Luk_24:35; Act_10:8; to make known, reveal, Joh_1:18; Act_15:12; Act_15:14; Act_21:19.

My reading comprehension might not be as good as yours or anyone else on this Forum--but this is what I understand, that the pre-existent Messiah, always with the Father...in the bosom of the Father, the unseen Abba--have made Himself know by revealing Himself in and through His only unique Son--full of grace and truth--and tabernacled among us--and out of His fullness we have received Grace for Grace..
Might not be a satisfying answer, but I am thankful for His mercy, grace and truth every day, Him in me, I in Him, sealed with the Holy Spirit.

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the motions of sin, which are by the law, did work in our members". Motions of sin, that is, the influence of, the affliction of, the inner experience. The motions of sin, which are by the Law, "by", dia, the channel or means.
Okay, well I just think you have it wrong.
I say, the motions of the wicked heart (which the law defines, uncovers and makes seen)did work in us.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My reading comprehension might not be as good as yours or anyone else on this Forum--but this is what I understand, that the pre-existent Messiah, always with the Father...in the bosom of the Father, the unseen Abba--have made Himself know by revealing Himself in and through His only unique Son--full of grace and truth--and tabernacled among us--and out of His fullness we have received Grace for Grace..
Might not be a satisfying answer, but I am thankful for His mercy, grace and truth every day, Him in me, I in Him, sealed with the Holy Spirit.
I think it’s a pretty satisfying answer and understanding and explanation. And you break out in thankful praise at the end of your explanation! :)

Reactions: Johann

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Joh 1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
Joh 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
Joh 1:7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
Joh 1:8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
Joh 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Joh 1:15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.
Joh 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
Joh 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Joh 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

exēgeomai
6x: to be a leader; to detail, to set forth in language; to tell, narrate, recount, Luk_24:35; Act_10:8; to make known, reveal, Joh_1:18; Act_15:12; Act_15:14; Act_21:19.

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
Yeah, sounds as if He didn’t a adequate report in the old so He sent some light and truth?

Let me ask you this. Why would God command the building of that temple by Solomon if He was never in it?

Acts 7:47-49 KJV
[47] But Solomon built him an house. [48] Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, [49] Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Do you believe Stephen is accurate here? If so where did he get this idea?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yeah, sounds as if He didn’t a adequate report in the old so He sent some light and truth?

Let me ask you this. Why would God command the building of that temple by Solomon if He was never in it?

[47] But Solomon built him an house. [48] Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, [49] Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Right, now it is my turn to ask you questions, are you saying the Scriptures might be full of contradictions? That YHVH did not write on the tables of stone?
That there might have been a Oral mitzvot alongside the Ten Words to give a more fuller meaning to the Ten Words?

And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water.And he was there with Hashem arba'im yom and arba'im lailah; he did neither eat lechem, nor drink mayim. And he wrote upon the Luchot the Divrei HaBrit, the Aseres Hadevarim.

Forgive me if I "misunderstand" you--but who wrote upon the Luchot the Aseres Hadevarim?

And to clarify matters between us, who are you and what Church are you affiliated with?
Asking a lot of questions is excellent, what is the motif?--to ekpeiradzo or dokimazo the members?

Don't be offended, I like to know whom I dealing with, since you can't see me, and I can't see you.

Johann.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What do you think “howbeit” means?

Reactions: Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Again, your question/s cannot be explained unless we want to type the context and the what goeth before and the what followeth after, to whom, with what circumstances, with what words---and this is going to be the "long answer" not a short, condensed version, yes?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Till our next "intense moment of fellowship?"
I know it makes everyone angry when I defend someone I think is being abused. I have to do what I think is right. And even if I didn’t/couldn’t see what Epi says, even if I thought he was pretty terribly off in how he saw scripture, I would still defend him if I saw a gang of men going at him.
I would do the same for you. Whether I did or did not agree with your denomination or interpretation.
I think that other fellow we just met had it right earlier. The funny guy who said something like..wait a minute, you formed a “hated for speaking the truth“ club? Why wasn’t I invited?! He spoke very well about how one should have conversation.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's so funny?
Oh Johann, I just thought it was funny. Quarrel, quarrel, quarrel, break for a moment of being nice and hearing and understanding each other, back to quarrel, quarrel, quarrel until the next moment of nice connection.
I just think we broken humans are absurd, that’s all. I laugh at our absurdity and struggle.
I thought you were employing a bit of dry humor in a conciliatory way, that’s all. I see now you weren’t.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I think that other fellow we just met had it right earlier. The funny guy who said something like..wait a minute, you formed a “hated for speaking the truth“ club? Why wasn’t I invited?! He spoke very well about how one should have conversation.
Like you said--You don't take me seriously and I don't take you seriously anymore.

I don't belong to any denomination and I'm not a "jolly good fella"--no offense.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh for the love of Pete! :jest:
I did take you seriously there, because you weren’t in attack the devil mode, but I thought you threw in some dry humor. You didn’t, I get that now. I’m sorry for thinking you could have a sense of humor. I seem to offend you by my very being sometimes! Gosh sakes…

And I didNT say you belonged to a denomination or didn’t. I just said if someone DID belong to a denomination and I thought it was a horrid denomination, I STILL would defend them if I saw a mob beating them. Sigh.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think next time I like or agree with something you write, I’ll just keep it to myself! :jest:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In discussing this rather emotional topic, Jesus did not say that all who would gain everlasting life must be “born again.” Rather, what he said was that unless one was “born again” he could not see the “kingdom of God.”

We know that the kingdom of God is heavenly. Jehovah has purposed that the Kingdom should rule over this earth to bring us back to what God purposed in Eden. Jehovah also purposed that a limited number, taken from among mankind, would reign with Christ Jesus as associate "kings and priests". For this amazing privilege they must be resurrected and given spirit bodies, in order to reside in heaven, in the presence of God, as the apostle said, “flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s kingdom.” (1 Cor 15:50)

That the Father has set a limitation on the number of those who will reign with his Son in the heavenly kingdom is manifest from Jesus’ words: “Have no fear, little flock, because your Father has approved of giving you the kingdom.” The exact number of the “little flock” approved by the Father to be Kingdom heirs was not known until Christ, through an angel, revealed it to be 144,000 “who have been bought from the earth.”

I believe that this “little flock” of 144,000 Kingdom heirs, are the only ones from among mankind who are “born again.” (Luke 12:32; Rev 14:1-4)
Jesus also said...."Most truly I say to you, unless anyone is born from water and spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God."
This is the baptism of water, then the baptism of the holy spirit.....only the elect can experience both.

Whilst still in the flesh on earth they have a token of their choosing....God's spirit bears witness with their spirit that they have been chosen to rule with Christ in his Kingdom, (Romans 8:15-17) but being "born again" actually takes place at their resurrection when they are literally "born again", being given new spirit bodies capable of dwelling in the spirit realm.

These will rule over mankind, bringing them back to the perfection that Adam and his wife once enjoyed before sin entered into the world through their disobedience. Jesus came to give us back what Adam took away from us.

Nothing else makes sense to me....
I’m glad it makes sense to you. However that’s not what born again means.

Reactions: Brakelite

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m glad it makes sense to you. However that’s not what born again means.
Actually, I agree with that first part of what she said. I never read it because I mostly skip her posts but…that first part I could see of your quote of hers is quite true.

Status
Not open for further replies.