What does the Christian need to do when they have sinned?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, sorry, you actually didn't. Or, if you did you prevaricated and your answer was totally unclear.
So I will ask it again hoping for a clear and concise answer, but I'm not holding my breath.

Then do you mean that you do not know any 'real born again Christians' including yourself?
Not only do I enjoy your use of the word 'prevaricated' . . . but if this is true, that there is no sin found in the true Christian's life, no one could even know whether this were true of them or not, as the Bible makes clear we are not fit judges of ourselves, in 1 Corinthians 4. Only Jesus knows us well enough to judge us.

And then again, there are many places that tell us that we remain "works in process".

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I hold no I’ll will towards anyone here.

I am just doing this:

James 5:19-20
[19] Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; [20] Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
And some people are doing it back to you.

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The book of 1 John was written to Christians. The apostle says, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:8–9). It is clear from this passage that even those who have been born again and redeemed by the blood of Jesus will still sin. Through thought, attitude, or action, we will “grieve” (Ephesians 4:30) and “quench” (1 Thessalonians 5:19) the Holy Spirit at times. But this passage also reassures us that God offers continual, ongoing grace whenever we agree with Him about our sin and ask for His cleansing.

Reactions: April_Rose

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say, Stop. And return to enjoying your fellowship with God.

And, If I've hurt another by my fleshy works, go and make it right with them. Apologize. Make restitution.

We are already reconciled to God, and if we've already received that reconciliation, then, we are reconciled to Him.

I find I generally want to apologize to God just the same!

Much love!
Also, follow David's example. Psalm 32

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible tells us that we have been reconciled to God, and if we have, we've received that reconciliation.

If we should sin . . . do we need to be again reconciled to God? Or do we remain reconciled to God?

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: April_Rose

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just not sure if what they're saying is considered reportable or not

Amazing.

Simply magnifying the word of God with little commentary has someone here actually contemplating wether or not it is reportable.

I mean, on a CHRISTIAN board...

Unbelievable.

The verses I quote must condemn some.

For:

John 3:20-21
...every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
...he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

And the shameless confessing of continuance in sin by some professing believers here is a sign of the times we are in I suppose:

Isaiah 3:9
The show of their countenance does witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A real born again Christian does not sin:

1 John 3:9
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin

Nor does he do “fleshly works”, for:

Galatians 5:24
...they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

And furthermore, There is no future re-reconciliation.

Hebrews 10:26
For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins
1 John 1:8-9
If we say we have NO sin, we DECEIVE OURSELVES, and the truth is NOT in us. If we CONFESS OUR SINS, he is faithful and just to forgive us OUR SINS and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

James 5:16

Therefore, CONFESS OUR SINS to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

These verses were written to born again Christians - and NOT non-believers.
In a moment of hyperbole - Pau refers to himself as "Chief" of sinners, speaking in the present tence (1 Tim. 1:15).

As to the verses you cherry-picked and took OUT of context . . .

- 1 John 3:9 is about those who PRACTICE sin - NOT those who occasionally stumble.
- Gal 5:24 is talking about no longer being a slave to sin OR its consequences because of Christ.
- Heb. 10:26 is talking about going back to a LIFE of willful sin and NOT occasionaly stumbling.
Many versions translate this phrase as "keep ON sinning" because of the tense of the Greek verb used (ham-ar-tan'-o).

BEFORE Christ, men were slaves to sin because there was NO way out. The "Good News" is that NOW, we have a way out through Christ.
As Christians, we STRIVE not to soin, but because of our fallen nature - we stumble.

In any case, with the verses above - context is NOT your friend . . .

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In any case, with the verses above - context is NOT your friend . . .

You have a false context.

Here’s the true context:

Romans 6:15
...shall we sin...? ...God forbid.

So the pet verse of the slaves to sin:

1 John 1:8
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

...Contextually applies to those who aren’t saved because the verse says:

The truth is not in him

Born again believers have the truth in them (Christ; John 14:6) and John made it clear that:

And YOUR other problem is this; we are told over and over again in scripture that our sins were taken away: So how can a true born again believer have sin if his sins were taken away and he can no longer commit sin?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a false context.

Here’s the true context:

Romans 6:15
...shall we sin...? ...God forbid.

So the pet verse of the slaves to sin:

1 John 1:8
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

...Contextually applies to those who aren’t saved because the verse says:

The truth is not in him

Born again believers have the truth in them (Christ; John 14:6) and John made it clear that:

And YOUR other problem is this; we are told over and over again in scripture that our sins were taken away: So how can a true born again believer have sin if his sins were taken away and he can no longer commit sin?
Because all of our PAST sins HAVE been taken away when we come to Christ.
It says absolutely NOTHING about our future sins being taken away.

This is why YOU avoided addressing James 5:16, which I presented in my last post.
James tells his BORN AGAIN readrs to "Confess your sins...".

It's ALSO why you avided 1 Tim. 1:15 where Paul refers to himself as "Chief" of sinners, and NOT in the past tense.

The NT is filled with warnings for truly converted, born again believers to NOT fall back into a life of sin, lest they LOSE their security.
These passages were NOT written to the unbeliever - but to the Christian who has an "Epignosis" of Christ:

Romans 11:22
“See, then, the kindness and severity of God: severity toward those who fell, but God's kindness to you, provided you REMAIN in his kindness; otherwise you to will be cut off.”
Paul is warning the faithful to REMAIN in God’s favor or they will lose their salvation. How can they lose what they never had?

Hebrews 10:26-27
If we sin deliberately AFTER receiving KNOWLEDGE of the truth, there no longer remains sacrifice for sins but a fearful prospect of judgment and a flaming fire that is going to consume the adversaries.”
This is a clear warning that falling away from God will result in the loss of our salvation. The Greek ford for “knowledge” used here is NOT the usual word (oida). This is talking about a full, experiential knowledge (epignosis). This verse is about CHRISTIANS who had an EPIGNOSIS of Christ and who can fall back into darkness and LOSE their salvation by their own doing.

2 Peter 2:20-22
For if they, having escaped the defilements of the world through the KNOWLEDGE of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ, again become entangled and overcome by them, their last condition is worse than their first.
For it would have been better for them not to have KNOWN the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment handed down to them.

Here, Peter illustrates that those who had a full, experiential knowledge (epignosis) of Christ – CHRISTIANS – who can fall back into darkness and LOSE their salvation by their own doing.

Matt. 5:13
You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
This one is self-explanatory . . .

1 Cor. 9:27
"I pummel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."
Paul is saying that he wrestles with his own fleshly desires so that he might not fall back into sin.

2 Peter 3:17
Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.
Peter is warning the faithful NOT to fall back into sin and lawlessness.

1 John 2:24
See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. IF it does, you also will REMAIN in the Son and in the Father.
This is an admonition to STRIVE to remain faithful.

Rev. 3:5
He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels.
God cannot blot out a name that was never there in the first place. He is talking about CHRISTIANS who are already saved and how they can LOSE their salvation.

Rev. 22:19
And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.
How can God “take away” somebody’s “share” of heaven if they never had it to begin with? This is about CHRISTIANS who may or may NOT make it into Heaven.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why YOU avoided addressing James 5:16, which I presented in my last post.
James tells his BORN AGAIN readrs to "Confess your sins...".

Obviously this is referring to past sins based on the context that born again believers “do not commit sin”.

It's ALSO why you avided 1 Tim. 1:15 where Paul refers to himself as "Chief" of sinners, and NOT in the past tense.

And obviously Paul is referring to his past life as a Pharisee persecuting the church based on the context that he says elsewhere in scripture “God forbid that we should sin”. How in the world could you even glean your perverse meaning of Paul continuing to be a Chief sinner?! That would make him the biggest hypocrite of all and worthy to be ignored! But thank God that one who knows the complete context of scripture wouldn’t come up with such a foolish interpretation.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obviously this is referring to past sins based on the context that born again believers “do not commit sin”.
ERROR, past sins are already forgiven, scripture, Romans 3:25 "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;"

now what about those sins that you now committ? well lets see, 1 John 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
1 John 1:10 "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

BreadOfLife is correct there.....

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
now what about those sins that you now committ?

You don’t sin if you’re born again. So those scriptures refer to the unsaved claiming to have no sin while not believing the gospel.

So confessing of sins is referring past sins that were forgiven when you first repented before God.

Have you ever gave a testimony of how you lived before getting saved?

There you go; that’s confessing your sins one to another.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don’t sin if you’re born again. So those scriptures refer to the unsaved claiming to have no sin while not believing the gospel.

So confessing of sins is referring past sins that were forgiven when you first repented before God.

Have you ever gave a testimony of how you lived before getting saved?

There you go; that’s confessing your sins one to another.
ERROR, I'll speak on past later, but now.... 1 John 3:9, other word they don't practice Sin. which means, the customary, habitual, or expected procedure or way of doing of something.

now, did not our Lord command us to be PERFECT as our Heavenly Father is..... Matthew 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." so Michiah-Imla, (don't LIE), are you perfect right now since you say you don't SIN". so are you perfect now? yes or NO.

see I love scriptures like 1 John 3:9. so are you "PERFECT right NOW? yes or no.

PICJAG

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
now, did not our Lord command us to be PERFECT as our Heavenly Father is..... Matthew 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." so Michiah-Imla, (don't LIE), are you perfect right now since you say you don't SIN". so are you perfect now? yes or NO.

What’s your beef man?! Even if I ain’t perfect, does that make the scripture a lie because in your mind it states to do the impossible?

I don’t need to prove anything to you. I have a good conscience towards God. Like Paul:

Acts 24:16
And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men.

But since you yourself are a reprobate in the faith, not being perfect or sinless as the scriptures teach you to be, you project your darkness on me. Don’t be envious because I boldly proclaim the truth of the scriptures. I walk in the light; as the scripture says:

John 8:12
...I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

You mock scripture that tells you to be perfect when you do not believe it’s possible to do so. Thus you yourself fulfill the scriptures that say:

John 1:5
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

You only comprehend the doctrines of men and the principles of this world.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s your beef man?! Even if I ain’t perfect, does that make the scripture a lie because in your mind it states to do the impossible?
I have a beef for the TRUTH. and no, perfection, it don't make the scriptures a lie, but it makes you. because you try to make it, the scriptures, out that you never sin, after being born again. and the scriptures are clear, yes, right there in the same BOOK, 1 John 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.". you have no clue what the scripture is actually is saying. THAT'S MY BEEF, if it's any. look, perfection, do not mean no errors. Understand, I'm about edifying, and not destruction. example about perfection. in baseball, the player, Reggie Jackson, he was called, Mr. October, because he hit the most home runs in that month. but did you know, he struck out more time than he hit the home runs. see that old adage, "PRACTICE", makes perfect, TRUE. see, if one is Born of God, they want "PRACTICE" sin, and we are a work of God, and he's not finish with us ... yet. because he's the author and ... "Finisher" of our Faith, and we must LIVE by his FAITH.
I might not be "PERFECT" ..... yet, but IN CHRIST JESUS I'm still in the RACE. and while in this race, speaking of PAST, Philippians 3:9 "And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:" ..... Philippians 3:13 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,"
Philippians 3:14 "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

You see, my "PERFECTION" is in Christ Jesus, not my own, but his righteousness this is what makes me PERFECT with God.

see this is my BEEF, Hebrews 5:12 "For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat." (READ THAT AGAIN).
Hebrews 5:13 "For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe."
Hebrews 5:14 "But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."

PICJAG

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but now.... 1 John 3:9, other word they don't practice Sin. which means, the customary, habitual, or expected procedure or way of doing of something.

upload_2021-3-25_9-11-6.png

"Practice sins", "ongoing habitual sins", wouldn't that have been written as a participle? This is a simple word, 'to do'.

I think this passage makes a very plain statement that the one who is born of God does not do sin.

did not our Lord command us to be PERFECT as our Heavenly Father is..... Matthew 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

In this case, the context is how the Fathe provides rain and sun to all alike, taking care of the needs of everyone equally, whether they love Him or not. Then Jesus tells us to be "perfect", to have that same complete and full love equally for all, just like the Father does.

While I believe God's desire for us is that we live holy lives, I don't see that being the statement made in that verse.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of 1 John was written to Christians. The apostle says, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:8–9). It is clear from this passage that even those who have been born again and redeemed by the blood of Jesus will still sin. Through thought, attitude, or action, we will “grieve” (Ephesians 4:30) and “quench” (1 Thessalonians 5:19) the Holy Spirit at times. But this passage also reassures us that God offers continual, ongoing grace whenever we agree with Him about our sin and ask for His cleansing.
Ch 2 Vs. 1 make it pretty clear too.

I write this that you may not sin, and if anyone does, we have an advocate, Jesus.

Much love!