What Everyone Should Know about the SABBATH.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just attended a lecture about the Sabbath by a well known PHD, Author, and College Professor--and he left out God's purpose for it!

I raised my hand to ask if he knew the purpose of why God put it into practice, and what was greater the practice or the purpose?...but I never got called upon. So I wrote him and told him. But it is a great topic for discussion--and everyone should know and be excited about the [actual] purpose of keeping the Sabbath.

But before I/we begin, a disclaimer: I am happy to defend what information I am about to give, but I am not going to debate it. If anyone is not ready to accept the fact that God had a bigger purpose for the Sabbath practice than the worldly benefits...then you can wallow in the worldly benefits until the end and never mind the kingdom--your choice.

Okay, the Sabbath was announced by God in the creation..."on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done." Genesis 2:2 This was the model or foreshadowing or type of what resulted in the commandment and practice of the Sabbath day given to Israel...which I am not going to go into. You can and should, but again, the point of this discussion is not the practice, but God's purpose for making it a practice.​

The purpose of the Sabbath was revealed, but more importantly answered by and fulfilled by Christ. His comment, saying, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." should suffice. After all of Israel's hundreds of years of practice and the keeping of the Sabbath, and the promise of Messiah to deliver them from every worldly and earthly burdens, bondage, and bringing their salvation--we now should know that it all came with Christ's coming. This is why He referred to Himself as the Lord of the Sabbath, and was able to elaborate. Again, if you have not read of it--you should. Matthew 12

But the simple answer here, and the reason for the years of practice, was the purpose of God to show His intentions of the gift of eternal life brought to us by Christ...which is God's rest.

So...the creation story, and the practice by Israel of keeping the Sabbath was to be a light upon a hill to show the whole world what was and is instore for those who come to salvation through God's Savior, Jesus Christ. Which Jesus eluded to in His prayer to the Father, is that we should become One with them just as they are One.

That's heaven...and the purpose of the practice of Sabbath.

And, yes, if you continue to practice the practice...not only are you practicing for what is to come, but there are indeed worldly benefits relieving stress, etc., but you are also serving God to show future generations all that God has promised through Christ.

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was the model or foreshadowing or type of what resulted in the commandment and practice of the Sabbath day given to Israel...which I am not going to go into ... The purpose of the Sabbath was revealed, but more importantly answered by and fulfilled by Christ. His comment, saying, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." should suffice.

I'm not following the purpose with the <purpose being answered>, let alone fulfilled.

If I inquire as to the purpose of a fork, what is being answered beyond the purpose being defined? And fulfilled?! It means past tense action. Using a fork one time would make it a disposable fork.

Then there is the model or foreshadowing or type comment, which is disjointed from the rest of what you wrote. Sadly, while clarity is what interested me about the thread title, ambiguity is what I am reading. It seems like what you are saying is Christ is the answer but the question is still elusive.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just attended a lecture about the Sabbath by a well known PHD, Author, and College Professor--and he left out God's purpose for it!

I raised my hand to ask if he knew the purpose of why God put it into practice, and what was greater the practice or the purpose?...but I never got called upon. So I wrote him and told him. But it is a great topic for discussion--and everyone should know and be excited about the [actual] purpose of keeping the Sabbath.

But before I/we begin, a disclaimer: I am happy to defend what information I am about to give, but I am not going to debate it. If anyone is not ready to accept the fact that God had a bigger purpose for the Sabbath practice than the worldly benefits...then you can wallow in the worldly benefits until the end and never mind the kingdom--your choice.

Okay, the Sabbath was announced by God in the creation..."on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done." Genesis 2:2 This was the model or foreshadowing or type of what resulted in the commandment and practice of the Sabbath day given to Israel...which I am not going to go into. You can and should, but again, the point of this discussion is not the practice, but God's purpose for making it a practice.​

The purpose of the Sabbath was revealed, but more importantly answered by and fulfilled by Christ. His comment, saying, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." should suffice. After all of Israel's hundreds of years of practice and the keeping of the Sabbath, and the promise of Messiah to deliver them from every worldly and earthly burdens, bondage, and bringing their salvation--we now should know that it all came with Christ's coming. This is why He referred to Himself as the Lord of the Sabbath, and was able to elaborate. Again, if you have not read of it--you should. Matthew 12

But the simple answer here, and the reason for the years of practice, was the purpose of God to show His intentions of the gift of eternal life brought to us by Christ...which is God's rest.

So...the creation story, and the practice by Israel of keeping the Sabbath was to be a light upon a hill to show the whole world what was and is instore for those who come to salvation through God's Savior, Jesus Christ. Which Jesus eluded to in His prayer to the Father, is that we should become One with them just as they are One.

That's heaven...and the purpose of the practice of Sabbath.

And, yes, if you continue to practice the practice...not only are you practicing for what is to come, but there are indeed worldly benefits relieving stress, etc., but you are also serving God to show future generations all that God has promised through Christ.
Jesus Christ taught the 10 commandments, and admonished the church to observe all 10

John 14:15KJV
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Revelation 22:14KJV
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Reactions: Wrangler

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not following the purpose with the <purpose being answered>, let alone fulfilled.

If I inquire as to the purpose of a fork, what is being answered beyond the purpose being defined? And fulfilled?! It means past tense action. Using a fork one time would make it a disposable fork.

Then there is the model or foreshadowing or type comment, which is disjointed from the rest of what you wrote. Sadly, while clarity is what interested me about the thread title, ambiguity is what I am reading. It seems like what you are saying is Christ is the answer but the question is still elusive.
I did not mean to explore every aspect of the Sabbath, as even God has taken all this time and is not yet clear but to a few.

My mentioning the creation foreshadowing or being a model of the Sabbath, was to point out that these things were true since the beginning.

As for what Christ has fulfilled, He has fulfilled all except what remains of the times of the gentiles--which is to say that He has fulfilled all that was foretold of Israel, which He did and then said, "It is finished."

After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” 29 Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. 30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” John 19:28-30
But perhaps the confusion comes from putting it all together--I mean, all that was foretold, and all that Jesus fulfilled, with the idea that it all points to and is connected to that foreshadowing of the coming of God's promised rest. However, as vague as it may be, Jesus did announce it as such, saying "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not mean to explore every aspect of the Sabbath

Sabbath = Rest on the 7th Day.

By sabbathing, we do 2 things: honor God and rejuvenate ourselves. When I was in college, I worked on the weekends. During the summer I had nonconsecutive weekdays off. So, I had to adjust my work week, Sabbath day. The Sabbath day is one of God's greatest blessings. It ough to remind us that we are human beings, not human doings.

Jesus did announce it as such, saying "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Amen!

I believe the kind of rest Jesus gives is divine, compared to the rest we give ourselves in the Sabbath.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the kind of rest Jesus gives is divine, compared to the rest we give ourselves in the Sabbath.
Yes--that is the point, that we should know that the practice, although a wonderful blessing for ecclesiastical life, actually points to that greater rest we have in God when Christ's prayer is fulfilled in us that we should be where He is and One with the Father, just as they are One.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not mean to explore every aspect of the Sabbath, as even God has taken all this time and is not yet clear but to a few.

My mentioning the creation foreshadowing or being a model of the Sabbath, was to point out that these things were true since the beginning.

As for what Christ has fulfilled, He has fulfilled all except what remains of the times of the gentiles--which is to say that He has fulfilled all that was foretold of Israel, which He did and then said, "It is finished."

After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!” 29 Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth. 30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” John 19:28-30
But perhaps the confusion comes from putting it all together--I mean, all that was foretold, and all that Jesus fulfilled, with the idea that it is all points to and is connected to that foreshadowing of the coming of God's promised rest. However, as vague as it may be, Jesus did announce it as such, saying "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
Scott I don't fully understand your position

Direct Question:

Do you believe observance of the 7th day Sabbath applies today?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scott I don't fully understand your position

Direct Question:

Do you believe observance of the 7th day Sabbath applies today?
Good question!

I could say Yes and No, because one person will think it is meant one way and another will think it is meant another.

If there is one right answer it is, Yes. But, that is not to say that the Commandment of keeping the sabbath is to be kept in "practice", but rather in receiving the rest of Christ, which is the rest of God fulfilled in us in Christ in God.

As for keeping the Sabbath "practice"--those who are wise will keep it for their own good. That is to say, it has it's benefits and it remains a blessing from God. It is also good service to God to practice it that those who see it might ask, and will hear that "It is fulfilled in Christ who gives me the rest that was promised by God--which is eternal life."​

Reactions: amadeus

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is not to say that the Commandment of keeping the sabbath is to be kept in "practice", but rather in receiving the rest of Christ, which is the rest of God fulfilled in us in Christ in God.

As for keeping the Sabbath "practice"--those who are wise will keep it for their own good. That is to say, it has it's benefits and it remains a blessing from God. It is also good service to God to practice it that those who see it might ask, and will hear that "It is fulfilled in Christ who gives me the rest that was promised by God--which is eternal life."​
Your response is self explanatory, you believe Jesus Christ has fulfilled the Sabbath day commandment, and is no longer a practice to observed

Scott I strongly disagree, the Lord taught and upheld observance of the 10 commandments, at no time have they been revoked, fulfilled, or replaced

Jesus Christ taught the 10 commandments, and admonished the church to observe all 10

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Reactions: BarneyFife

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your response is self explanatory, you believe Jesus Christ has fulfilled the Sabbath day commandment, and is no longer a practice to observed

Scott I strongly disagree, the Lord taught and upheld observance of the 10 commandments, at no time have they been revoked, fulfilled, or replaced

Jesus came "to fulfill"...and He did.

You speak against that, for which I am glad not to agree.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus came "to fulfill"...and He did.

You speak against that, for which I am glad not to agree.
Jesus didn't replace the Sabbath day observance as you suggest

Jesus Christ upheld and taught Sabbath day observance, no place in scripture has this been revoked or replaced

The Sabbath was made for man to physically rest, just as when God hallowed it in the beginning of creation, as Moses received it on Mt. Sinai, as Jesus spoke of it below, and it applies today!

The Sabbath Was Made For Man To Physically Rest, It's That Simple

Mark 2:27KJV
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Luke 23:54-56KJV
54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

The Church in Jerusalem was established on the Sabbath day observance,, Paul and Barnabas exorted the Church to continue in God's grace in Sabbath observance, as they returned the next Sabbath to hear the words of God

Acts 13:42-44KJV
42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus didn't replace the Sabbath day observance as you suggest

Jesus Christ upheld and taught Sabbath day observance, no place in scripture has this been revoked or replaced

The Sabbath was made for man to physically rest, just as when God hallowed it in the beginning of creation, as Moses received it on Mt. Sinai, as Jesus spoke of it below, and it applies today!

The Sabbath Was Made For Man To Physically Rest, It's That Simple

Mark 2:27KJV
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Luke 23:54-56KJV
54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

The Church in Jerusalem was established on the Sabbath day observance,, Paul and Barnabas exorted the Church to continue in God's grace in Sabbath observance, as they returned the next Sabbath to hear the words of God

Acts 13:42-44KJV
42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.
I am not speaking against or denying any of that. But where in your dissertation is the reason why these things were practiced?

You bring Christ into it but never mention that He is that rest of God. Why not? Do you not know that to keep His commandments--which seems to be your only point, one must enter into that rest?

Hebrews 4
Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”

although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; 5 and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:

“Today, if you will hear His voice,
Do not harden your hearts.”

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience. 12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 2:1-3 . .Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their
hosts. And by the seventh day God completed His work which He had done;
and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested
from all His work which God had created and made.

The seventh day memorialized the completion of creation. However,
although it was made a holy day, it wasn't made a day of obligation until
quite a few years later: after Noah's flood, and not till the covenant that
Moses' people agreed upon with God per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and
Deuteronomy.

* An important thing to note is that God is still on sabbatical, viz: the other
six days were bounded by an evening and a morning whereas the seventh
isn't bounded; indicating that it hasn't ended, i.e. God has yet to pick up
where He left off and begin making more things for the current grand
scheme of things.

The seventh day of the civil week was eventually labeled "sabbath" which is
from a Hebrew word that basically refers to an intermission, i.e. a pause. It
became an important day for Jews (Ex 31:16-17) but has never been made
a special day for Gentiles, that is; unless they immigrate to Israel; wherein a
one day pause in folks' weekly routines is supposed to be the law of the
land. (Deut 5:12-14)

Besides sabbath days, there are also sabbath years. (Lev 25:1-7 & Ex
23:10-11)

A day off once a week is not only humane, but also reminds the Jews that
the cosmos-- all its forms of life, matter, and energy --is the product of
intelligent design. It also reminds them that the God of their providence is
extremely strong. In point of fact: Abraham knew their God as 'El Shadday
(Gen 17:1) the God of every might, power, and strength that can be named,
and then some.

Ex 31:16-17 . .The children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe
the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a
sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days The Lord
made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was
refreshed.
_

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
* An important thing to note is that God is still on sabbatical, viz: the other
six days were bounded by an evening and a morning whereas the seventh
isn't bounded; indicating that it hasn't ended, i.e. God has yet to pick up
where He left off and begin making more things for the current grand
scheme of things.
That "end" has a name, which is "the End", meaning Jesus Christ. By entering into Christ (and He in us) we enter and have entered that promised rest foreshadowed since the Beginning.

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That "end" has a name, which is "the End", meaning Jesus Christ. By entering into Christ (and He in us) we enter and have entered that promised rest foreshadowed since the Beginning.
At no time has Jesus Christ revoked or replaced observance of the 7th day sabbath, just as the other 9 commandments, all are relevant today and to be followed and observed

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At no time has Jesus Christ revoked or replaced observance of the 7th day sabbath, just as the other 9 commandments, all are relevant today and to be followed and observed
Good point, however, that is the least of the Sabbath issue.

Again... Which is greater, the "practice" or what the practice points to?
The point here that is most important for our time--is that after millennia of "practice" keeping, many do not know WHY it was actually created and made a commandment. And if they did...they would indeed observe and keep it.

Reactions: amadeus

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good point, however, that is the least of the Sabbath issue.

Again... Which is greater, the "practice" or what the practice points to?
The point here that is most important for our time--is that after millennia of "practice" keeping, many do not know WHY it was actually created and made a commandment. And if they did...they would indeed observe and keep it.
The practice points to a "Day Of Physical Rest" it's that simple

Those who follow and keep the 7th day observance are following God's commandment

Those who follow "Sunday" in 1st day observance are following Roman Emperor Constatines law created in 321AD

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The routine day of rest is a codified day of obligation for Jews. Seeing as
how it isn't a codified day of obligation for Christians, then according to
the 14th chapter of Romans, taking that day off is optional rather than
mandatory.

Also according to that 14th chapter, when people attempt to make the
seventh day a requirement for Christians, they are guilty of usurping Christ's
authority to make the rules for his own followers. If those usurpers want to
make the rules for their followers, fine; but it's unthinkable for anyone but
God to specify a code of conduct for Christ's.
_

Last edited: