What is a Christian!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, newnature.

With all due respect to Steve Atwood, the major problem is that "salvation" is the WRONG WORD. The concept of what God does for us is called "justification by God" in the Scriptures.

"Salvation," on the other hand, is a word that is most often used for the "DELIVERANCE" or "RESCUE" of the Hebrew people when the Messiah Yeshua` (the Christ Jesus) returns.

Furthermore, the believers of the first century preferred to call themselves the "called" or the "justified," not "Christians." "Christians" was a DEROGATORY term used by their enemies. The word is the DIMINUTIVE of "Christos," thus meaning "little christs." They also did not think of themselves as members of "Christianity." They were members of "The Way." And, finally, the word "church" (Greek "ekkleesia") simply meant a "called-out" group of believers. They would NEVER have acquiesced to capitalizing the word as though it was some organization! This is why Paul often used the PLURAL form of the word and talked about the "churches" of a particular land area.

Believers today who use the word "Church" for the "Universal body of believers," are those who are still duped by the remnants of the Roman Catholic Church's dogma over the last 2,000 years. The word "Catholic" MEANS "Universal!" However, the Scriptures only give ONE instance of a "world-wide church," and that will be when we are all gathered to Him in the air!

Therefore, I have no problem with the "Once Saved Always Saved" belief because it is simply using the wrong word. It SHOULD be rendered "Once Justified by God, ALWAYS Justified by God!" We cannot justify ourselves in any way; it is ALL of God's Will and His Grace. Since there is nothing we can do to be justified by God, then there is nothing we can do to remain justified by God. It is GOD'S choice whether to keep His children or not. However, He is the BEST Father in the Universe and has promised...

John 6:35-40
35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

KJV

Proper passages to lead a person to God for His justification are Yeshua`s parable in Luke 18 ...

Luke 18:9-14
9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.
KJV

... and Paul's description of a "new creature":

2 Corinthians 5:9-21
9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.
13 For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause.
14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled (katallaxantos) us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation (katallagees);
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling (katallassoon) the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation (katallagees).
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled (katallageete) to God.
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
KJV

What is very interesting is the Greek words translated as "reconcile," "reconciled," "reconciling," and "reconciliation":

NT:2643 katallagee (kat-al-lag-ay'); from NT:2644; exchange (figuratively, adjustment), i.e. restoration to (the divine) favor:
KJV - atonement, reconciliation (-ing).

NT:2644 katallassoo (kat-al-las'-so); from NT:2596 and NT:236; to change mutually, i.e. (figuratively) to compound a difference:
KJV - reconcile.

NT:2596 kata (kat-ah'); a primary particle; (prepositionally) down (in place or time), in varied relations (according to the case [genitive case, dative case or accusative case] with which it is joined):
KJV - about, according as (to), after, against, (when they were) alone, among, and, apart, (even, like) as (concerning, pertaining to touching), aside, at, before, beyond, by, to the charge of, [charita-] bly, concerning, covered, [daily-], down, every, (+far more) exceeding, more excellent, for, from ... to, godly, in (-asmuch, divers, every, -to, respect of), ... by, after the manner of, by any means, beyond (out of) measure, mightily, more, natural, of (up-) on (X part), out (of every), over against, (+your) own, particularly, so, through (-oughout, -oughout every), thus, (un-) to (-gether, -ward), uttermost, where (-by), with. In composition it retains many of these applications, and frequently denotes opposition, distribution, or intensity.

NT:236 allassoo (al-las'-so); from NT:243; to make different:
KJV - change.

NT:243 allos (al'-los); a primary word; "else," i.e. different (in many applications):
KJV - more, one (another), (an-, some an-) other (-s, -wise).

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

The words mean to "TRADE PLACES!" When Paul said, "God ... hath reconciled us to Himself by Jesus Christ," he was saying "God has traded places with us through Yeshua` the Messiah." And, the trade is seen in my most favorite verse in the NT:

2 Corinthians 5:21 For He (God the Father) hath made Him (Yeshua` the Messiah) to be sin for us, who (Yeshua`) knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him!

That's the trade! Yeshua` became our sin, so we can become God's righteousness found in Yeshua`! It's not fair, but that is how God chose to make it possible for Him to justify us. He no longer "imputes our trespasses against us," or "counts our sins against us." Instead, ...

Isaiah 53:6-11
6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.
11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
KJV

One should use THESE verses to lead someone to the LORD for His justification and NOT to the "Romans Road!"

lukethreesix

Jan 11, 2014
John 6:37, All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
John 16:15, All that the Father has are Mine...
John 17:2, All that the Father has given Me I will give eternal life...
John 17:10, All Mine are Thine and all Thine are Mine...

So, let's see if I understand this: All things have been given to Christ and all that is His He will not cast any out.
Good news!!!

To answer the question, What is a Christian? That's easy, one that belongs to Christ. A better question would be, Who is a Christian? Well, according to the scripture I posted, eventually everyone!