What is God's "Plan" For You?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I believe it's a joint effort. The Lord has to do the work in me, and I have to be a willing recipient and allow him to do the work that's needed.
:D
Hugs
Hi @Ziggy

For the believer, this is a work that God Himself began.

Interesting that Paul says in Philippians 1.6:

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ".

(In fact, @Eternally Grateful has this verse in his avatar picture...)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Ziggy

For the believer, this is a work that God Himself began.

Interesting that Paul says in Philippians 1.6:

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ".

(In fact, @Eternally Grateful has this verse in his avatar picture...)
I put the emphasis on will...

Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mat 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

Phl 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

I found a new pearl ! Thank you farouk!

So then this willingness, in and of itself is not independent of God. It is he who puts this willingness in us in the first place.
I believe there is still a free will or an opportunity to be unwilling, even though God places this will in us.
This I would say would be an act of rebellion. Or as it may also be called, a quenching of the Spirit?

Hugs farouk!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I put the emphasis on will...

Mat 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mat 16:25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

Phl 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

I found a new pearl ! Thank you farouk!

So then this willingness, in and of itself is not independent of God. It is he who puts this willingness in us in the first place.
I believe there is still a free will or an opportunity to be unwilling, even though God places this will in us.
This I would say would be an act of rebellion. Or as it may also be called, a quenching of the Spirit?

Hugs farouk!
@Ziggy Great verse indeed there, Philippians 2.13: 'it is God that worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure'......:)

Reactions: Ziggy

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi John,

Just to be sure I understand you... when you say "transform us into His perfect image and likeness", do you mean to be like him in his perfect ways - his attributes?

Hi John,

like Him in all things, reflecting His Glory and Goodness. Purified of all that is not of Him, loving perfectly even as we are loved...

Can you explain, what you mean by resurrection of the body? I don't want to misunderstand.
Do you mean our old body will return?

I mean our body will rise from the dead, even as HE did, transformed, made immortal and incorruptible..

For if the dead are not raised, neither has Christ been raised,
and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is vain; you are still in your sins.

Why do you believe that people living on the earth will God him as he is?

?? can you rephrase the question?

Peace be with you!

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Hi John,

like Him in all things, reflecting His Glory and Goodness. Purified of all that is not of Him, loving perfectly even as we are loved...
Okay, thanks.
Yes. I too, think this is how God wants his children to be - complete...
I believe this is the level Adam was to reach.

I mean our body will rise from the dead, even as HE did, transformed, made immortal and incorruptible..

For if the dead are not raised, neither has Christ been raised,
and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is vain; you are still in your sins.
I believe God gives the resurrected ones a newly created body.
1 Corinthians 15
36 Thou foolish one, that which thou thyself sowest is not quickened except it die: 37 and that which thou sowest, thou sowest not the body that shall be, but a bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other kind; 38 but God giveth it a body even as it pleased him, and to each seed a body of its own.
The old body dies, and is gone.

Christ also received a new body at resurrection.
1 Corinthians 15
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: 43 it is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: 44 it is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 So also it is written, The first man Adam became a living soul. The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 Howbeit that is not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; then that which is spiritual. 47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is of heaven. 48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly. 49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
His old body was gone.

?? can you rephrase the question?

Peace be with you!
:oops: Why do you believe that people living on the earth will see God as he is? :D

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting idea 1stCenturyLady.
If it were actually written, I would accept that it's Biblical?
I'm just saying that I have not read that explanation in scripture, but it's your understanding.

I see it plainly written in Paul's book to the Romans and have quoted from it, so cannot understand your lack of understanding of Paul's writings. Peter did say that there were some things that Paul wrote that were hard to understand by some, and I guess that is true for you.

To be sure, let me ask, if our inside nature is immortal, what happens if we turn away from God, which Paul says can happen, and did happen, for some annointed ones?

That is basically a horror story, so preachers and teachers do not teach it. Let's see if you can tell what I mean by this scripture.

2 Peter 2:
18 For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. 20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”

Hell is forever for immortal beings such as Satan and his angels. That should tell you the horror for those whose spirits have become immortal also.

Hebrews 10:26-39
26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

32 But recall the former days in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great struggle with sufferings: 33 partly while you were made a spectacle both by reproaches and tribulations, and partly while you became companions of those who were so treated; 34 for you had compassion on me in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven. 35 Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. 36 For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise:

37 “For yet a little while,
And He who is coming will come and will not tarry.
38 Now the just shall live by faith;
But if anyone draws back,
My soul has no pleasure in him.”

39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.

I observe that the scriptures reveal that the body of Christ is not anyone who would profess to be Christian, or following Christ.

If you read my blog, which extensively use scripture, you would see that according to rhe scriptures, the body of Christ is a little flock, although Christ has other sheep.
So, much of what the first century followers said, apply only to that little flock.

Who do you believe is the "other sheep"? Maybe this will help. The small group of the first group is what Jesus is talking about, where only a few of them will find it.

(First group): Luke 2:34
34 Then Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary His mother, “Behold, this Child is destined for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which will be spoken against.

(Second group is huge, but there is a final number that only God knows): Romans 11:
I say then, has God cast away His people? Certainly not! For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel, saying, 3 “Lord, they have killed Your prophets and torn down Your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life”? 4 But what does the divine response say to him? “I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” 5 Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.

7 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded. 8 Just as it is written:

“God has given them a spirit of stupor,
Eyes that they should not see
And ears that they should not hear,
To this very day.”

9 And David says:

“Let their table become a snare and a trap,
A stumbling block and a recompense to them.
10 Let their eyes be darkened, so that they do not see,
And bow down their back always.”

Israel’s Rejection Not Final
11 I say then, have they stumbled that they should fall? Certainly not! But through their fall, to provoke them to jealousy, salvation has come to the Gentiles. 12 Now if their fall is riches for the world, and their failure riches for the Gentiles, how much more their fullness!

13 For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, 14 if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them. 15 For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?

16 For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. 17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:

“The Deliverer will come out of Zion,
And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
27 For this is My covenant with them,
When I take away their sins.”

28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers. 29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. 30 For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their disobedience, 31 even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy. 32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.

33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

34 “For who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has become His counselor?”
35 “Or who has first given to Him
And it shall be repaid to him?”

36 For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.

In my experience, most professing Christianity, do not seem to consider that many faithful ones who died before Christ, are not even included among those God foreordained to this hope.
What then about them? Even John the Baptist was not included. John 11:11

This is talking about the covenants. John the Baptist was still under the Old Covenant, even though I believe he was the hightest among them because he received the Holy Spirit in the womb. But even the least that is one with Jesus is higher than the highest in the Old Covenant. There was a ceiling there, that is now our floor.

Last edited:

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The old body dies, and is gone.

Christ also received a new body at resurrection.

I disagree completely. The old body is transformed made incorruptible, but it remains our body, just as Jesus retains the same flesh that was born of Mary, suffered and died for us, and rose again!

Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me and see, because a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you can see I have."

And as he said this, he showed them his hands and his feet.

To deny the ressurection of the body is to deny the Christian Faith and wander off into pseudo-gnostic deserts..

As for seeing God as He is.. What can I say? Like the song says: "you shall see the face of God, and live!"

Peace be with you!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thanks J.
Would you say God's will and purpose is for you to be among all those he wants in his united family?
Yes....
In the final analysis I understand what Peter said in 2 Peter 3:9..
"Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance."
This is God's will, but we already know that only those who obey the teachings of Jesus Christ will be moved to repent and thus avoid being "destroyed".

John 3:16 also says the same thing....
"For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life".
Exercising faith is not just believing...it is an active practice and demonstration of that faith 24/7. We will not be "destroyed" or "perish" if God finds in us a complete heart.

Edit
Thinking on what you said, I understand that you are saying that individually we can fit into God's purpose, but it's up to us.
And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

In other words, God has a purpose for all who love him.
Hope that's close enough to your thoughts. :)

No one can come to God's son without an invitation from his Father. (John 6:65) So God knows us, even before we know him and he will draw that person to come into a relationship with him. (John 6:44) He sees how each of us responds to the 'preaching of the good news of the Kingdom', (Matthew 24:14) and invites those "worthy ones" into his global family of worshippers. (Matthew 10:11-15) We have to want to do that though.....seeing things in the teachings of the churches that don't make sense or that can't be found in the Bible should ring alarm bells....I know it did for me, and it was a strong desire in me to find the truth...not just to be content with shallow explanations, inferences or shrugs of shoulders.

The Bible answers all the important questions, and I have discovered most of them in my 50 years of study. There is nothing I like better than thorough research. I can honestly say that am closer to my God today than at any other time in my life. :)

Reactions: The Disciple John

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
I see it plainly written in Paul's book to the Romans and have quoted from it, so cannot understand your lack of understanding of Paul's writings. Peter did say that there were some things that Paul wrote that were hard to understand by some, and I guess that is true for you.
I'm sorry. I will look again.

You said... "When we are born again (our nature called the old man is crucified Romans 6:6-7), and our new nature is raised by Christ's resurrection power, our inside nature is in the Spirit and becomes immortal taking on eternal LIFE according to all your scriptures. But the one thing that is not immortal yet is our outside body. It must someday also die and put on immortality (a new body)."

You referenced Romans 6:6-7
6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be done away, that so we should no longer be in bondage to sin; 7 for he that hath died is justified from sin.

You also quoted Romans 8:9-10
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin (Adam's), but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

These verses do not say "our inside nature is in the Spirit and becomes immortal taking on eternal LIFE"
So where can I read that in scripture? I don't find it anywhere. It not in 1 John 3:9.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry. I will look again.

You said... "When we are born again (our nature called the old man is crucified Romans 6:6-7), and our new nature is raised by Christ's resurrection power, our inside nature is in the Spirit and becomes immortal taking on eternal LIFE according to all your scriptures. But the one thing that is not immortal yet is our outside body. It must someday also die and put on immortality (a new body)."

You referenced Romans 6:6-7
6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be done away, that so we should no longer be in bondage to sin; 7 for he that hath died is justified from sin.

You also quoted Romans 8:9-10
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin (Adam's), but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

These verses do not say "our inside nature is in the Spirit and becomes immortal taking on eternal LIFE"
So where can I read that in scripture? I don't find it anywhere. It not in 1 John 3:9.

Read 2 Peter 1:2-4.

What is reborn is invisible, and cannot be seen. We are spirit, soul and body. The spirit and soul is where sin reigned, in our mind and heart/emotions. Those are reborn and become righteous. 1 Corinthians 2:9-16. 16 we have the mind of Christ. What is left is visible, but sin doesn't reside there to affect us spiritually, only physically as it continues to die.

Reactions: ScottA

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
That is basically a horror story, so preachers and teachers do not teach it. Let's see if you can tell what I mean by this scripture.

2 Peter 2:
18 For when they speak great swelling words of emptiness, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through lewdness, the ones who have actually escaped from those who live in error. 19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. 20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”

Hell is forever for immortal beings such as Satan and his angels. That should tell you the horror for those whose spirits have become immortal also.

Hebrews 10:26-39
saving of the soul.
I'm sorry 1stCenturyLady. I really would have liked if we agreed on more things, but I can only agree with scripture.

Hebrews 10:39
ἀπώλειαν - apóleia: destruction, loss

New International Version
But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.

New Living Translation
But we are not like those who turn away from God to their own destruction. We are the faithful ones, whose souls will be saved.

English Standard Version
But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.

Berean Study Bible
But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.

Berean Literal Bible
But we are not of those drawing back to destruction, but of faith to the preserving of the soul.

King James Bible
But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

New King James Version
But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.

New American Standard Bible
But we are not among those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith for the safekeeping of the soul.

NASB 1995
But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul.

NASB 1977
But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul.

Amplified Bible
But our way is not that of those who shrink back to destruction, but [we are] of those who believe [relying on God through faith in Jesus Christ, the Messiah] and by this confident faith preserve the soul.

Christian Standard Bible
But we are not those who draw back and are destroyed, but those who have faith and are saved.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
But we are not those who draw back and are destroyed, but those who have faith and obtain life.

American Standard Version
But we are not of them that shrink back unto perdition; but of them that have faith unto the saving of the soul.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
But we are not of despondency which leads to destruction, but of the faith that imparts to us our soul.

Contemporary English Version
We are not like those people who turn back and get destroyed. We will keep on having faith until we are saved.

Douay-Rheims Bible
But we are not the children of withdrawing unto perdition, but of faith to the saving of the soul.

Good News Translation
We are not people who turn back and are lost. Instead, we have faith and are saved.

International Standard Version
Now, we do not belong to those who turn back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.

Literal Standard Version
But we are not of those drawing back to destruction, but of those believing to a preserving of soul.

New American Bible
We are not among those who draw back and perish, but among those who have faith and will possess life.

NET Bible
But we are not among those who shrink back and thus perish, but are among those who have faith and preserve their souls.

New Revised Standard Version
But we are not among those who shrink back and so are lost, but among those who have faith and so are saved.

New Heart English Bible
But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the saving of the soul.

Weymouth New Testament
But we are not people who shrink back and perish, but are among those who believe and gain possession of their souls.

World English Bible
But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the saving of the soul.

Young's Literal Translation
and we are not of those drawing back to destruction, but of those believing to a preserving of soul.

The Greek word is destruction, so the scriptures say they will be destroyed.
Why do you suppose some translations changed the meaning to perdition - (in Christian theology) a state of eternal punishment and damnation into which a sinful and unrepentant person passes after death?

That is what you teach evidently, but the scriptures do not agree.
Hell is not "forever for immortal beings such as Satan and his angels". Revelation 20:13-14
King James Bible
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

New King James Version
13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Hell is cast into the Lake of Fire, after being emptied, and the Lake of Fire is the second death, so Hell does not last forever, but is subjected to a death state - gone for good.

Interestingly, the New King James Version has discarded the word Hell.
Do you know why that is?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry 1stCenturyLady. I really would have liked if we agreed on more things, but I can only agree with scripture.

ἀπώλειαν - apóleia: destruction, loss

But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.

New Living Translation
But we are not like those who turn away from God to their own destruction. We are the faithful ones, whose souls will be saved.

English Standard Version

Berean Study Bible

Berean Literal Bible
But we are not of those drawing back to destruction, but of faith to the preserving of the soul.

King James Bible
But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

New King James Version
But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.

But we are not among those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith for the safekeeping of the soul.

NASB 1995

NASB 1977

Amplified Bible
But our way is not that of those who shrink back to destruction, but [we are] of those who believe [relying on God through faith in Jesus Christ, the Messiah] and by this confident faith preserve the soul.

Christian Standard Bible
But we are not those who draw back and are destroyed, but those who have faith and are saved.

But we are not those who draw back and are destroyed, but those who have faith and obtain life.

But we are not of them that shrink back unto perdition; but of them that have faith unto the saving of the soul.

But we are not of despondency which leads to destruction, but of the faith that imparts to us our soul.

We are not like those people who turn back and get destroyed. We will keep on having faith until we are saved.

Douay-Rheims Bible
But we are not the children of withdrawing unto perdition, but of faith to the saving of the soul.

Good News Translation
We are not people who turn back and are lost. Instead, we have faith and are saved.

Now, we do not belong to those who turn back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.

Literal Standard Version
But we are not of those drawing back to destruction, but of those believing to a preserving of soul.

New American Bible
We are not among those who draw back and perish, but among those who have faith and will possess life.

NET Bible
But we are not among those who shrink back and thus perish, but are among those who have faith and preserve their souls.

But we are not among those who shrink back and so are lost, but among those who have faith and so are saved.

New Heart English Bible

Weymouth New Testament
But we are not people who shrink back and perish, but are among those who believe and gain possession of their souls.

World English Bible

and we are not of those drawing back to destruction, but of those believing to a preserving of soul.

The Greek word is destruction, so the scriptures say they will be destroyed.
Why do you suppose some translations changed the meaning to perdition - (in Christian theology) a state of eternal punishment and damnation into which a sinful and unrepentant person passes after death?

Hell is not "forever for immortal beings such as Satan and his angels". Revelation 20:13-14
King James Bible
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

New King James Version
13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Hell is cast into the Lake of Fire, after being emptied, and the Lake of Fire is the second death, so Hell does not last forever, but is subjected to a death state - gone for good.

Do you know why that is?

Hebrews 10:26-39 read in context is about born again Christians who WILLFULLY SIN. You are basing everything on one verse about those who do not willfully sin as what is normal for a Spirit filled Christian.

To be a student of the Word you must read in context.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Who do you believe is the "other sheep"? Maybe this will help. The small group of the first group is what Jesus is talking about, where only a few of them will find it.

(First group): Luke 2:34
34 Then Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary His mother, “Behold, this Child is destined for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which will be spoken against.

(Second group is huge, but there is a final number that only God knows): Romans 11

This is talking about the covenants. John the Baptist was still under the Old Covenant, even though I believe he was the hightest among them because he received the Holy Spirit in the womb. But even the least that is one with Jesus is higher than the highest in the Old Covenant. There was a ceiling there, that is now our floor.
It's better, I think, to identify the little flock first.
The little flock started from ... the gathering of the lost sheep of Israel - Matthew 10:6; Matthew 15:24
The first to be gathered were the 12 to an apostleship... minus 1 - Judas, who was latter replaced by Matthias. Acts 1:23-26
They made disciples, and on the day they were officially sealed - anointed, the number of them were 120. Acts 1:15
Added tto that number, were 3,000. Acts 2:41
Then 5,000. Acts 4:4
Then a great number. Acts 5:14
The number kept increasing. Acts 6:1 Even Jewish priests in large number were added. Acts 6:7
Then a zealous Pharisee was added. His name was changed to Paul. Acts 9:17-18
Then the first Gentiles were added, as Cornelius and his household were anointed. Acts 10:44-48

That number continued increasing, but when would it stop?
The anointed answer.
Romans 11:11-12; Romans 11:25-26
Notice that Paul refers to both Jews and Gentiles as all Israel. Romans 2:29; Romans 9:6; Galatians 3:29
They are the firstfruits, sealed by the holy spirit - a token of their inheritance. Romans 8:23; Revelation 14:1-5; 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:14
John gives their number as 144,000. Revelation 7:4
That is the little flock.

The other sheep are identified by
Matthew
Matthew 25:31-46
The sheep are those of the other sheep. Christ's brothers are those of the little flock on earth at that time.​
Paul
Romans 8:19-25
The creation is those of the other sheep. The sons of God, are those of the little flock.​
and John
Revelation 7
The unnumbered great multitude are those of the other sheep. The sealed 144,000 are the little flock.​

I'm open to discussing this further, if that's okay with you.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's better, I think, to identify the little flock first.
The little flock started from ... the gathering of the lost sheep of Israel - Matthew 10:6; Matthew 15:24
The first to be gathered were the 12 to an apostleship... minus 1 - Judas, who was latter replaced by Matthias. Acts 1:23-26
They made disciples, and on the day they were officially sealed - anointed, the number of them were 120. Acts 1:15
Added tto that number, were 3,000. Acts 2:41
Then 5,000. Acts 4:4
Then a great number. Acts 5:14
The number kept increasing. Acts 6:1 Even Jewish priests in large number were added. Acts 6:7
Then a zealous Pharisee was added. His name was changed to Paul. Acts 9:17-18
Then the first Gentiles were added, as Cornelius and his household were anointed. Acts 10:44-48

That number continued increasing, but when would it stop?
The anointed answer.
Romans 11:11-12; Romans 11:25-26
Notice that Paul refers to both Jews and Gentiles as all Israel. Romans 2:29; Romans 9:6; Galatians 3:29
They are the firstfruits, sealed by the holy spirit - a token of their inheritance. Romans 8:23; Revelation 14:1-5; 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:14
John gives their number as 144,000. Revelation 7:4
That is the little flock.

The other sheep are identified by
Matthew
Matthew 25:31-46
The sheep are those of the other sheep. Christ's brothers are those of the little flock on earth at that time.​
Paul
Romans 8:19-25
The creation is those of the other sheep. The sons of God, are those of the little flock.​
and John
Revelation 7
The unnumbered great multitude are those of the other sheep. The sealed 144,000 are the little flock.​

I'm open to discussing this further, if that's okay with you.

I agree and is what I already said.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
I disagree completely. The old body is transformed made incorruptible, but it remains our body, just as Jesus retains the same flesh that was born of Mary, suffered and died for us, and rose again!

Look at my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me and see, because a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you can see I have."

And as he said this, he showed them his hands and his feet.

To deny the ressurection of the body is to deny the Christian Faith and wander off into pseudo-gnostic deserts..

As for seeing God as He is.. What can I say? Like the song says: "you shall see the face of God, and live!"

Peace be with you!
Why would you disagree with Paul, may I ask?
1 Corinthians 15:35-38
35 But some one will say, How are the dead raised? and with what manner of body do they come? 36 Thou foolish one, that which thou thyself sowest is not quickened except it die: 37 and that which thou sowest, thou sowest not the body that shall be, but a bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other kind; 38 but God giveth it a body even as it pleased him, and to each seed a body of its own.

It seems you do, because you think so, but should we not want to agree with scripture?

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Discussion.
A friendly Note
I'm interested in having a Bible discussion on the topic of this thread.
What that means, is, the Bible must be used, but not just quoting or referencing without explaining or commenting on the text.
This is important, because the text may be understood differently by the other person, and would mean nothing without an explanation, from the one posting the text.
However, it is also acceptable to post the text, and ask what the text is saying to the receiver.
I find this method quite useful... I use it all the time, because it lets the text speak for you, but allows for response.
It's also acceptable to let someone know when they have stated a belief which is not in harmony with scripture. That way, we can discuss the scripture.
Additionally... Please do not post a link to a webpage with hundreds of words to read.

I hope this can be a peaceable discussion, without bringing up the other person's religion as the problem, accusing the person of being blind, unintelligent, or other.
I will try my very best not to even hint that.
That can probably be hard for all of us, but let's try.

Please, take part only if you are interested in a discussion. If your purpose is to preach at the person and tell them that they need to accept Jesus Christ, and repent, and pray for holy spirit, and read the Bible, and... then please do not post in this thread. Thank you :)

Sounds fun, I think. ;)
I was asked by @Pearl why I said I am not born again. Thank you for asking Pearl.
I promised to answer that question, and I want to do that in this thread.
The reason has to do with God's purpose (or plan).

I'll give a brief answer in the OP.
Since God's purpose is to have a family of spirit creatures, living with him in heaven, and earthly creatures living on the earth, which he created for them (Isaiah 45:18), not every faithful, and righteous individual will live in heaven. In fact persons only go to heaven because of a specific purpose, related to God's original purpose.
In that case, not everone is annointed by holy spirit - that is, adopted as sons, to have citizenship in heaven.
Since I am not one that is chosen as an adopted son to live in heaven, I would not be born of holy spirit.
I however have done what Jesus required of those who become disciples of his (Matthew 28:19) - I have gotten baptized in water.
Having God's approval, I hope to live on earth, when it is restored to a paradise, under God's kingdom.

To help you understand more, and what scriptures I use for this explanation, I have created a blog, with three parts. Reading them may help answer some questions you may have, and we can discuss, from scripture, what God's plan is for you. I am more thinking of an end goal, and the process leading to that goal.

@Ziggy this is my response to your post.
What are they born for, or as? Why? The answer is in the blog posts.
Hmmm...it would appear that you have the wrong idea about salvation and belief in God and His Son Jesus Christ.

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name. John 1:12

Do you not believe this?

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Read 2 Peter 1:2-4.

What is reborn is invisible, and cannot be seen. We are spirit, soul and body. The spirit and soul is where sin reigned, in our mind and heart/emotions. Those are reborn and become righteous. 1 Corinthians 2:9-16. 16 we have the mind of Christ. What is left is visible, but sin doesn't reside there to affect us spiritually, only physically as it continues to die.
2 Peter 1
2 Grace to you and peace be multiplied in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; 3 seeing that his divine power hath granted unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that called us by his own glory and virtue; 4 whereby he hath granted unto us his precious and exceeding great promises; that through these ye may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.

I read it, again.
I still do not see anywhere it says "our inside nature is in the Spirit and becomes immortal taking on eternal LIFE"

I will read the last verse in a careful and precice way.
He [God] hath granted unto us his precious and exceeding great promises; that through these [promises] you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.

It says, through these [promises] you may become partakers of the divine nature.
What promises?
The future ones made to them...
Luke 22:28-30; John 14:2; Galatians 3:29; Colossians 1:5; 2 Timothy 4:8; Hebrews 12:28; James 2:5; 1 Peter 1:3-4; 1 John 3:2; Revelation 1:6; 1 Corinthians 15:53​
They may become partakers of the divine nature, then... when they put on immortality, and dwell in the heavens, with their new body - spirit.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Hebrews 10:26-39 read in context is about born again Christians who WILLFULLY SIN. You are basing everything on one verse about those who do not willfully sin as what is normal for a Spirit filled Christian.

To be a student of the Word you must read in context.
o_O ???
I didn't disagree with that. Why did you post it.
Perhaps you didn't read the post properly? I'll repost.

The Greek word used in Hebrews 10:39 is ἀπώλειαν - translated apóleia: meaning destruction, loss

New Living Translation
English Standard Version
Berean Study Bible
Berean Literal Bible
King James Bible
New King James Version
NASB 1995
NASB 1977
Amplified Bible
Christian Standard Bible
Douay-Rheims Bible
Good News Translation
Literal Standard Version
New American Bible
NET Bible
New Heart English Bible
Weymouth New Testament
World English Bible

The Greek word in verse 39 is destruction, so the scriptures say willful sinners will be destroyed.

King James Bible

New King James Version

Do you know why that is?