What is New Testament Holiness?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just want to add that when I went into my Dad's room that last morning, his face seemed to me to have a little glow on and he looked more peaceful. I asked my sisters who were with me but they didn't notice anything different. I don't discount that the Lord may have wrought something in the inner man even while the outer man was not conscious. Maybe in his case even best to have outer man out of the way with no say in the matter. Scripture says that what we loose on earth is loosed in heaven (ie, forgive) and I just don't discount one bit that there are things I yet don't know or understand. The devil messes people around so much in this life. Also the fact there are signs the devil is mad about something.......to me that is always a good sign, heh. :) Anyway, in God's hands. Lord bless.
Blessings in Christ Jesus Lizbeth! Yes, The Holy Spirit can reach the inner man. Long ago I had a friend, a coworker who ended up in the hospital dying of stage 4 breast cancer. She was not a believer but The Lord had me say things to her along the way to show her His existance. These were things that only God could do, so she might believe. When she was in the hospital The Lord spoke to me to go visit her. I had second thoughts as the roads were bad, and it was in the city. So after work I drove to the hospital through the ice and snow. I had hope that perhaps The Lord would use me to heal her. As I was there, I stumbled with my words, but I found myself recapping some of the things that The Lord had done for her and confirming it was Him all along. At the end, I remember speaking these words, " all who call upon The Name of The Lord will(shall) be saved." A few days later another coworker(who is Christian) ask me if perhaps I had visited her and I said yes. She then said," I knew it" She then proceeded to tell me that she was there this morning, and she was glowing, and peaceful, and requested a Bible reading. The next day she passed away. This is a woman, whose household did not even have a Bible and yet The Lord had mercy on her in the last hour. And a few days later The Lord spoke on the matter and said, My son, "Rose is with Me." I hope these words help you in your time of need. When my dad passed away, I thought I was ok, but I was not, I had to take some time off from work and grieve. Blessings!

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Blessings in Christ Jesus Lizbeth! Yes, The Holy Spirit can reach the inner man. Long ago I had a friend, a coworker who ended up in the hospital dying of stage 4 breast cancer. She was not a believer but The Lord had me say things to her along the way to show her His existance. These were things that only God could do, so she might believe. When she was in the hospital The Lord spoke to me to go visit her. I had second thoughts as the roads were bad, and it was in the city. So after work I drove to the hospital through the ice and snow. I had hope that perhaps The Lord would use me to heal her. As I was there, I stumbled with my words, but I found myself recapping some of the things that The Lord had done for her and confirming it was Him all along. At the end, I remember speaking these words, " all who call upon The Name of The Lord will(shall) be saved." A few days later another coworker(who is Christian) ask me if perhaps I had visited her and I said yes. She then said," I knew it" She then proceeded to tell me that she was there this morning, and she was glowing, and peaceful, and requested a Bible reading. The next day she passed away. This is a woman, whose household did not even have a Bible and yet The Lord had mercy on her in the last hour. And a few days later The Lord spoke on the matter and said, My son, "Rose is with Me." I hope these words help you in your time of need. When my dad passed away, I thought I was ok, but I was not, I had to take some time off from work and grieve. Blessings!
Oh the Lord is good! And nothing is impossible with Him! If He can speak even to dry bones and command them to live.....then there is hope. Thank you for sharing this. \o/ Bless you.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh the Lord is good! And nothing is impossible with Him! If He can speak even to dry bones and command them to live.....then there is hope. Thank you for sharing this. \o/ Bless you.
That is all we can do my dear sister . Continue to let all know that IN JESUS CHRIST ALONE is salvation and to believe on HIM .
To be praying they come to the saving faith of Christ Jesus .
The sad thing about today is , more than ever folks are fast abandoning the preaching of that one and only hope
and have been led into the idea that it is not necessary to believe on Christ .
But as we know , that is NOT the gospel . To the end we shall point to CHRIST alone . Now raise those hands
sister . IT is Time to thank the LORD . The gospel of JESUS CHRIST we shall hold firm to the end .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just want to add that when I went into my Dad's room that last morning, his face seemed to me to have a little glow on and he looked more peaceful. I asked my sisters who were with me but they didn't notice anything different. I don't discount that the Lord may have wrought something in the inner man even while the outer man was not conscious. Maybe in his case even best to have outer man out of the way with no say in the matter. Scripture says that what we loose on earth is loosed in heaven (ie, forgive) and I just don't discount one bit that there are things I yet don't know or understand. The devil messes people around so much in this life. Also the fact there are signs the devil is mad about something.......to me that is always a good sign, heh. :) Anyway, in God's hands. Lord bless.
I pray to GOD the churches start waking up and fast .
All we can do is point to CHRIST , pray the lost will recieve him . We pray up to the moment they take their last breath .
AFter that it is in vain to continue in prayer , AS YOU KNOW ALREADY .
BUT I hope this gives us all a renewed effort to DO SOMETHING the churches have stopped doing .
START PREACHING the DIRE NEED TO BELIEVE ON CHRIST to the souls that still walk this earth.
A lot of folks weep and cry for the lost at the moment they begin to slip away .
But what did we tell them before their end began .
What matters is , TO POINT those still breathing to JESUS NOW . while they are still breathing air .
Yet many have forsook the sense of urgency to tell those lost souls JESUS NOW .
You see the churches have sold the masses a lie . a love that cannot save them .
And day by day they see many who do not believe in CHRIST
and yet , NO Witnessing , no pointing to CHRIST . Till now many now believe there is no need to EVEN evanglize of the dire
need to believe on JESUS .
You march on dear sister . POINT TO CHRIST till the last breath .

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I pray to GOD the churches start waking up and fast .
All we can do is point to CHRIST , pray the lost will recieve him . We pray up to the moment they take their last breath .
AFter that it is in vain to continue in prayer , AS YOU KNOW ALREADY .
BUT I hope this gives us all a renewed effort to DO SOMETHING the churches have stopped doing .
START PREACHING the DIRE NEED TO BELIEVE ON CHRIST to the souls that still walk this earth.
A lot of folks weep and cry for the lost at the moment they begin to slip away .
But what did we tell them before their end began .
What matters is , TO POINT those still breathing to JESUS NOW . while they are still breathing air .
Yet many have forsook the sense of urgency to tell those lost souls JESUS NOW .
You see the churches have sold the masses a lie . a love that cannot save them .
And day by day they see many who do not believe in CHRIST
and yet , NO Witnessing , no pointing to CHRIST . Till now many now believe there is no need to EVEN evanglize of the dire
need to believe on JESUS .
You march on dear sister . POINT TO CHRIST till the last breath .
If a believer is close enough to someone to be weeping and crying at their death bed I dont' know why they wouldn't have witnessed and tried to reach them for the Lord while alive. Can't fathom that. But there's no point to try pursuing and praying for someone to be saved after they have died I believe, unless one has faith and unction to resurrect the person. There's just no indication in scripture for that, that I know of. As a rule it's appointed unto man but once to die and after that the judgment according to the bible. Though just in their human grief some might find themselves asking God to be merciful to their loved one after they died anyhow. I did, maybe just as a way of putting the period at the end of the sentence so to speak and relinquishing my father into God's hands as far as I was concerned.

But I don't know whether the Lord may turn someone's soul/heart around while unconscious but still alive, at least I don't know of any scriptures or examples in the bible that might address that. Where there's life there's hope.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a believer is close enough to someone to be weeping and crying at their death bed I dont' know why they wouldn't have witnessed and tried to reach them for the Lord while alive. Can't fathom that. But there's no point to try pursuing and praying for someone to be saved after they have died I believe, unless one has faith and unction to resurrect the person. There's just no indication in scripture for that, that I know of. As a rule it's appointed unto man but once to die and after that the judgment according to the bible. Though just in their human grief some might find themselves asking God to be merciful to their loved one after they died anyhow. I did, maybe just as a way of putting the period at the end of the sentence so to speak and relinquishing my father into God's hands as far as I was concerned.

But I don't know whether the Lord may turn someone's soul/heart around while unconscious but still alive, at least I don't know of any scriptures or examples in the bible that might address that. Where there's life there's hope.
Having worked in healthcare dear sister, the last ability to go, even for those in a coma is the hearing. There has been documentation of recovery of said coma patients whom have told of conversations THEY HEARD.
Unless a person is pronounced brain dead then there is hope one hears our prayers and the word of God we may quote.

The activity of, or our seat of knowledge is where we are first made aware the need to repent by the hearing of the word.
Until that last breath there is HOPE. However we may not be given to KNOW until we ourselves are received into the kingdom.
Be comforted by the love of our great merciful and gracious God. ❤️

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Having worked in healthcare dear sister, the last ability to go, even for those in a coma is the hearing. There has been documentation of recovery of said coma patients whom have told of conversations THEY HEARD.
Unless a person is pronounced brain dead then there is hope one hears our prayers and the word of God we may quote.

The activity of, or our seat of knowledge is where we are first made aware the need to repent by the hearing of the word.
Until that last breath there is HOPE. However we may not be given to KNOW until we ourselves are received into the kingdom.
Be comforted by the love of our great merciful and gracious God. ❤️
Amen, and thanks sister. I don't "need" to know for sure but it is a comfort to be able to have even a little bit of hope. And it just dawned on me this morning that the Lord speaks to us in dreams while we're asleep, so it doesn't seem like an impossible hope. :)

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

very true dear sister . I have a good hunch you spoke to pops at least once about JESUS while he walked this earth .
Its not our fault if they heed not . And i am all for praying for any and all folks up to the very last moment they draw that breath .
What we dont know we dont know . But what we DO KNOW we do know and that is this ,
WE MUST POINT TO CHRIST ALONE FOR SALVATION . We must never go the way of the spirit of anti
christ which has taken hold of even many churches . The way of anti christ preaches
a love that will not save but rather gives the idea that none will be damned . BUT JESUS SAID all who believed not WOULD .
I cant imagine any lamb desiring death for anyone . Thus lambs will never give out false hope to anyone .
Example of false hope . Create a love that makes it seem like all will be fine no matter what religoin or idea they might believe .
THAT BE A LIE FROM THE DRAGON . And its a lie i wont be giving to anyone .
Sure i get hammered , heckled , called a hater and a monster , a judger
cause I say things like ALL other religoins MUST repent of their lies and come to FAITH IN CHRIST To be saved .
I get called the judge of the whole earth for doing so . BUT i aint no mans judge . I AM JUST REPEATING
the WORDS Of HE who is GONNA JUDGE THE WORLD . JESUS SAID IT . I SAY IT . I give zero false hope
to man . And if it makes me a hater to constantly remind folks of the DIRE NECESSITY to BELEIVE ON CHRIST and
that belief in any other is DEAD and wont save . THEN SO BE IT .
THE JUDGE OF THE ENTIRE WORLD already DID what was necessary for salvation . AND HE SAID YE MUST BELIEVE
and all who hear and believe not , WILL be damned .
I actually take GOD at his Word . Knowing GOD is not a man that can lie .
Had adam and ol eve taken GOD at HIS WORD , they had not died . BUT they believed the liar and the lie
which said SURELY ye shall not die . just as many today believe the serpents lie of SURELY if ye beleive not
YE wont be damned . NOPE . I BELEIVE GOD . and i know something else .
IF JESUS SAID IT , WELL BY GOLLY GOD SAID IT .

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
very true dear sister . I have a good hunch you spoke to pops at least once about JESUS while he walked this earth .
Its not our fault if they heed not . And i am all for praying for any and all folks up to the very last moment they draw that breath .
What we dont know we dont know . But what we DO KNOW we do know and that is this ,
WE MUST POINT TO CHRIST ALONE FOR SALVATION . We must never go the way of the spirit of anti
christ which has taken hold of even many churches . The way of anti christ preaches
a love that will not save but rather gives the idea that none will be damned . BUT JESUS SAID all who believed not WOULD .
I cant imagine any lamb desiring death for anyone . Thus lambs will never give out false hope to anyone .
Example of false hope . Create a love that makes it seem like all will be fine no matter what religoin or idea they might believe .
THAT BE A LIE FROM THE DRAGON . And its a lie i wont be giving to anyone .
Sure i get hammered , heckled , called a hater and a monster , a judger
cause I say things like ALL other religoins MUST repent of their lies and come to FAITH IN CHRIST To be saved .
I get called the judge of the whole earth for doing so . BUT i aint no mans judge . I AM JUST REPEATING
the WORDS Of HE who is GONNA JUDGE THE WORLD . JESUS SAID IT . I SAY IT . I give zero false hope
to man . And if it makes me a hater to constantly remind folks of the DIRE NECESSITY to BELEIVE ON CHRIST and
that belief in any other is DEAD and wont save . THEN SO BE IT .
THE JUDGE OF THE ENTIRE WORLD already DID what was necessary for salvation . AND HE SAID YE MUST BELIEVE
and all who hear and believe not , WILL be damned .
I actually take GOD at his Word . Knowing GOD is not a man that can lie .
Had adam and ol eve taken GOD at HIS WORD , they had not died . BUT they believed the liar and the lie
which said SURELY ye shall not die . just as many today believe the serpents lie of SURELY if ye beleive not
YE wont be damned . NOPE . I BELEIVE GOD . and i know something else .
IF JESUS SAID IT , WELL BY GOLLY GOD SAID IT .
Amen. God's word leaves no doubt, it is very clear.

(And yes I addressed Jesus many times with Dad over the years, sometimes he would cut me off, other times it made him hostile, other times he wanted to give me lectures in an effort to dissuade me from my faith. The outward man can put up such a fight sometimes, and that can be the devil's smoke and mirrors and huffing and puffing to try and discourage us, meanwhile God is looking past all that at the heart, and is able to by-pass all the objections and speak directly to the heart...so we shouldn't let all that discourage us but try to see the person with eyes of faith.)

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen. God's word leaves no doubt, it is very clear.

(And yes I addressed Jesus many times with Dad over the years, sometimes he would cut me off, other times it made him hostile, other times he wanted to give me lectures in an effort to dissuade me from my faith. The outward man can put up such a fight sometimes, and that can be the devil's smoke and mirrors and huffing and puffing to try and discourage us, meanwhile God is looking past all that at the heart, and is able to by-pass all the objections and speak directly to the heart...so we shouldn't let all that discourage us but try to see the person with eyes of faith.)
Yeah i sure thought you had dear sister . What always concerns me is when they harden the heart to it .
It scares me to death for their soul .

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yeah i sure thought you had dear sister . What always concerns me is when they harden the heart to it .
It scares me to death for their soul .
Yes. Though I believe God can reach even the most hardened soul, as I've heard many wonderful testimonies over the years. So we just should never give up on anyone (unless the Lord tells us to), and don't let outward things discourage us, anything is possible with God.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. Though I believe God can reach even the most hardened soul, as I've heard many wonderful testimonies over the years. So we just should never give up on anyone (unless the Lord tells us to), and don't let outward things discourage us, anything is possible with God.
Yeah GOD can reach anyone . My heart was quite hard sister . And look at how hard pauls heart was .
It dont stop me , it does cause great fear however when i see one reject it . Fear for them .

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ephesian 4:1-32

This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

But ye have not so learned Christ;

If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

Neither give place to the devil.

Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Just caught a little bit of the video. I’m glad you agree that the new man is created after God in righteousness and true holiness (as opposed to feigned or fleshly), and is perfect. That is what we have received – Christ in us. This chapter (Eph 4 above) taken as a whole, tells us what walking in the old man looks like and what walking in the new man looks like. And we are instructed to no longer walk as we formerly did, but having come faith and received Christ, to now walk after the new man by His Spirit within us.

Scripture shows us that there are only two types of righteousness that I know of, one is the righteousness of man (our own righteousness) and the other is the righteousness of Christ. Our own righteousness of the flesh falls short of God’s glory, and only the righteousness of the new man, Christ in us, His Spirit, reaches a heavenly standard and has eternal value – because it is OF GOD, not of the flesh, and therefore HOLY. Where it says “ye have your fruit UNTO holiness” and “righteousness UNTO holiness” (Rom 6) is talking about that fruit of righteousness BEING HOLY, ie, reaching that heavenly standard of what is holy. And thus if and when we are practicing and walking in that righteousness of Christ, metaphorically putting on the new man, we are walking in holiness.

Holiness appears to be a condition or state of being, and when we are being righteous, walking in the righteousness of Christ, we are being holy. True righteousness (as opposed to our own righteousness) is a fruit of the Spirit, a fruit of holiness….as you were talking about separation and division in the video, I do not see a separation between true righteousness (that is of faith) and holiness, they go hand in hand.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesian 4:1-32

This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

But ye have not so learned Christ;

If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

Neither give place to the devil.

Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Just caught a little bit of the video. I’m glad you agree that the new man is created after God in righteousness and true holiness (as opposed to feigned or fleshly), and is perfect. That is what we have received – Christ in us. This chapter (Eph 4 above) taken as a whole, tells us what walking in the old man looks like and what walking in the new man looks like. And we are instructed to no longer walk as we formerly did, but having come faith and received Christ, to now walk after the new man by His Spirit within us.

Scripture shows us that there are only two types of righteousness that I know of, one is the righteousness of man (our own righteousness) and the other is the righteousness of Christ. Our own righteousness of the flesh falls short of God’s glory, and only the righteousness of the new man, Christ in us, His Spirit, reaches a heavenly standard and has eternal value – because it is OF GOD, not of the flesh, and therefore HOLY. Where it says “ye have your fruit UNTO holiness” and “righteousness UNTO holiness” (Rom 6) is talking about that fruit of righteousness BEING HOLY, ie, reaching that heavenly standard of what is holy. And thus if and when we are practicing and walking in that righteousness of Christ, metaphorically putting on the new man, we are walking in holiness.

Holiness appears to be a condition or state of being, and when we are being righteous, walking in the righteousness of Christ, we are being holy. True righteousness (as opposed to our own righteousness) is a fruit of the Spirit, a fruit of holiness….as you were talking about separation and division in the video, I do not see a separation between true righteousness (that is of faith) and holiness, they go hand in hand.
Yet for epi its all vain . WHY . cause they think folks are doing so EVEN IF THEY DONT believe in JESUS CHRIST .
Really all he is teaching is our own way to attain to righteousness without FAITH IN CHRIST .
That even muslims and buddists are capable of doing this . That even muslims , athiest , others even have the SPIRIT of GOD
at work in them IF THEY ARE doing these things . Its a lie sister . I tried to tell ya , they can preach
ASPECTS about the SPIRIT , even use the same language as we would use when instructing and reminding the church .
AND YET they dont BELIEVE one has TO BELEIVE IN JESUS CHRIST . ITs a sham all right . A delusion for sure and for certain .

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yet for epi its all vain . WHY . cause they think folks are doing so EVEN IF THEY DONT believe in JESUS CHRIST .
Really all he is teaching is our own way to attain to righteousness without FAITH IN CHRIST .
That even muslims and buddists are capable of doing this . That even muslims , athiest , others even have the SPIRIT of GOD
at work in them IF THEY ARE doing these things . Its a lie sister . I tried to tell ya , they can preach
ASPECTS about the SPIRIT , even use the same language as we would use when instructing and reminding the church .
AND YET they dont BELIEVE one has TO BELEIVE IN JESUS CHRIST . ITs a sham all right . A delusion for sure and for certain .
Amen. We can only be righteous (and holy) by the Spirit of Christ in us...and scripture says if you have not the Spirit you are none of His. If even the Jews (who were called God's chosen people), who continued seeking to establish their own righteousness through the Law instead of submitting to the righteousness of Christ weren't saved, then how much more unsaved Gentiles.

Jun 23, 2023
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New Testament Holiness refers to a theological concept and ethical principle that finds its roots in the teachings and examples presented in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. It centers on the idea of living a life of moral purity, spiritual devotion, and righteous conduct, aligning one's actions and attitudes with the teachings of Jesus Christ and the apostles. This holiness perspective emphasizes a transformation of heart and character, brought about through faith in Christ, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and a commitment to following God's commandments.

The United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (US Commission on International Religious Freedom | USCIRF) aims to make sure that our rights to freedom of religion are safe against threats.

For added protection, it is best that we know if we are in a safe community through this guide: How To Find Out if a Criminal Lives Near You (and What They Did) in 6 Steps

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are two states: Revelation 22:11. Righteousness and Holiness. They are not mature at the same time.

Righteousness is Sinlessness (from sins unto death)
Holiness is Perfection (from sins not unto death)

Sinlessness is when Jesus writes all the law on our hearts and conscience and gives us the Holy Spirit to prevent us from breaking them
Perfection is the maturity of ALL of the fruit of the Spirit. It takes the longest. It is why Paul kept saying he wasn't perfect, but I think he finally made it in his last letter to Timothy. Read 2 Timothy 4:6-8.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are two states: Revelation 22:11. Righteousness and Holiness. They are not mature at the same time.
Righteousness is Sinlessness (from sins unto death)
Holiness is Perfection (from sins not unto death)

Sinlessness is when Jesus writes all the law on our hearts and conscience and gives us the Holy Spirit to prevent us from breaking them
Perfection is the maturity of ALL of the fruit of the Spirit. It takes the longest. It is why Paul kept saying he wasn't perfect, but I think he finally made it in his last letter to Timothy. Read 2 Timothy 4:6-8.
When the all sufficiency of Jesus is misunderstood, one invents all manner of interpretations. These become a distraction from knowing the all important; they try to fill in the gaps which inevitably occur but at the end of the day all they do is flatter cognition, it does not establish relationship.

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I find that I am not in agreement with the thought that Paul wrote those words that he was not perfect, whilst he was not in the Spirit. Paul of all the saints, would know that being in the Spirit was vital to one who had so much authority in the church, and would have put off his writings till the time he was in the Spirit. Besides, he would have reached the stage of being established therein, and no more would be going out and coming in:

"To him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. Rev 3:10".

The going out and coming in is part of the training of the saints as Epi has said. But there comes a point when the training is complete and one has the mind of Christ. When one is 'out of the Spirit' one is not led by the Spirit although one remembers what one has already learned. But mistakes are made and memory is not perfect.

Rather, I think that Paul was speaking of after his death which he knew would be as a martyr.

“If by any means I may attain unto the resurrection from the dead" where he would wear the martyr's crown and be free of the attacks of the enemy on his life.

He cries out “Let us therefore as many as be perfect, be thus minded.”—Phil. 3:15. He is appealing to the oneness of those who are also in the Spirit and perfect.

Reactions: Azim