What is Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of us go through the day without unclean thoughts (including anger). We should be asking for forgiveness of sin daily.

Who says being angry is a sin?

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil.

Being angry is not the sin, but what we do with it can become sin. John Baptist and Jesus got angry several times in their ministry against the devil: He got angry against the devil, and He got angry against the hypocrites trying to shut the door to the kingdom on others.

The point is that too many Christians don't really know what they are talking about, when it comes to knowing what sin is. They get into all manner of guilt trips about things, that God never condemns.

Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

And so, we see where no law of Christ is, there is no sin to be condemned in Him.

Preachers are not to be telling people what sin is. God's preachers are to be telling people what God says sin is.

The liberty of the law of Christ is freedom within His law to do or not to do, to partake or not to partake. The whole body is bound to obey His law and not transgress His commandment in any point, but not every member of the body has the same conscience in the liberty of Christ.

We all have our own conscience in Christ, and so we do not all exercise our liberty the same.

What may indeed be sin to one, for conscience sake, and is not sin to another, not being in transgression of the law of Christ.

So, first of all, Christians ought read Scripture of the New Testament doctrine of the apostles and law of Christ, to first know of a surety what sin and transgression of God truly is.

Then we are free to deal with matters of our own conscience within the liberty of that law given in Scripture for us today.

I tell you now by long experience with destructive results: living under the crushing burdens of guilt trips from men is far worse than any need of forgiveness from God for sins of transgression of His law.

God is far more merciful to the transgressor, than men are with their made up rules and commandments.

God makes for a wonderful God and judge of righteousness, not men.

Reactions: Wynona

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of us go through the day without unclean thoughts (including anger). We should be asking for forgiveness of sin daily.

Who says being angry is a sin?

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil.

Being angry is not the sin, but what we do with it can become sin. John Baptist and Jesus got angry several times in their ministry against the devil: He got angry against the devil, and He got angry against the hypocrites trying to shut the door to the kingdom on others.

The point is that too many Christians don't really know what they are talking about, when it comes to knowing what sin is. They get into all manner of guilt trips about things, that God never condemns.

Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

And so, we see where no law of Christ is, there is no sin to be condemned in Him.

Preachers are not to be telling people what sin is. God's preachers are to be telling people what God says sin is.

The liberty of the law of Christ is freedom within His law to do or not to do, to partake or not to partake. The whole body is bound to obey His law and not transgress His commandment in any point, but not every member of the body has the same conscience in the liberty of Christ.

We all have our own conscience in Christ, and so we do not all exercise our liberty the same.

What may indeed be sin to one, for conscience sake, and is not sin to another, not being in transgression of the law of Christ.

So, first of all, Christians ought read Scripture of the New Testament doctrine of the apostles and law of Christ, to first know of a surety what sin and transgression of God truly is.

Then we are free to deal with matters of our own conscience within the liberty of that law given in Scripture for us today.

I tell you now by long experience with destructive results: living under the crushing burdens of guilt trips from men is far worse than any need of forgiveness from God for sins of transgression of His law.

God is far more merciful to the transgressor, than men are with their made up rules and commandments.

God makes for a wonderful God and judge of righteousness, not men.

Sin literally means miss the mark Robert. In reality it is a violation of God's laws. All of us sin every day, but rarely does a Christian commit a serious sin. It does happen however, and I think to those of us who do it, that we know we are committing one before we choose to participate. I would like to say that I have lived my life without committing a serious sin, but sadly am unable to do so. But I can say that it has been many years since I have done so. As far as simple sins, I do that every time I get in a car. Why do I say this, a Christian is to render to Caesar his due, but there is no possible way I can obey all of those traffic laws, in fact it would be unsafe to do so many times. I believe in consideration and safety first.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin literally means miss the mark Robert. In reality it is a violation of God's laws. All of us sin every day, but rarely does a Christian commit a serious sin. It does happen however, and I think to those of us who do it, that we know we are committing one before we choose to participate. I would like to say that I have lived my life without committing a serious sin, but sadly am unable to do so. But I can say that it has been many years since I have done so. As far as simple sins, I do that every time I get in a car. Why do I say this, a Christian is to render to Caesar his due, but there is no possible way I can obey all of those traffic laws, in fact it would be unsafe to do so many times. I believe in consideration and safety first.
You make my point.

Who said rendering unto Caesar his due, includes traffic laws of Caesar?

All that I read due to Caesar is a stupid penny. Which I endeavor to do at every tax cycle.

I take Scripture as literally as possible, so that I do not confuse sinful transgression of Christ's law, with guilt trips of man's law.

And so, you claim to be a daily sinner, because you don't obey all the traffic laws, and so call yourself something you are not in God's eyes, but only in the eyes of men acting like little caesars.

Saints are not the super-righteous before men, but just the righteousness of God, which is sufficient for Him.

If I want to risk the ticket, to either pay it or do the time, then I do so, and I do so by the faith of Jesus.

Sometimes I do it just to make the point of the ridiculous: Sitting at a red traffic light at 2 AM with no one in sight is stupid. It has absolutely nothing to do with the intent of the law, and everything to do with stupidity.

The letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.

Now, as a matter of conscience, I have recently repented of going around the turtles entering a traffic lane from a parking lot, because God told me that is tempting Him with a possible traffic accident.

But I certainly will run that stupid red light when no one else is in sight for miles, and if some cop is hiding out just waiting for such a thing, then congratulations to him. He is maintaining the fabric of society.:rolleyes: (Being one of the reasons I didn't go on to join the sheriff's dept after graduating the academy. I just couldn't see myself doing that to someone with enough brains not to sit there like an idiot.)

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This particular statement reveals you either don't know how the Bible defines sin yourself or you simply don't care. In either case, you are espousing dangerous doctrines. Christians do not have the prerogative to decide for themselves what sin is or treat Christianity like a cafeteria religion. God defines sin as violating His commandments, and that standard isn't subjective. It's the same for everyone across the board, whether they identify as a Christian or not.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 4:17

“Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.” what does this say ?

Reactions: Pisteuo

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You make my point.

Who said rendering unto Caesar his due, includes traffic laws of Caesar?

All that I read due to Caesar is a stupid penny. Which I endeavor to do at every tax cycle.

I take Scripture as literally as possible, so that I do not confuse sinful transgression of Christ's law, with guilt trips of man's law.

And so, you claim to be a daily sinner, because you don't obey all the traffic laws, and so call yourself something you are not in God's eyes, but only in the eyes of men acting like little caesars.

Saints are not the super-righteous before men, but just the righteousness of God, which is sufficient for Him.

If I want to risk the ticket, to either pay it or do the time, then I do so, and I do so by the faith of Jesus.

Sometimes I do it just to make the point of the ridiculous: Sitting at a red traffic light at 2 AM with no one in sight is stupid. It has absolutely nothing to do with the intent of the law, and everything to do with stupidity.

The letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.

Now, as a matter of conscience, I have recently repented of going around the turtles entering a traffic lane from a parking lot, because God told me that is tempting Him with a possible traffic accident.

But I certainly will run that stupid red light when no one else is in sight for miles, and if some cop is hiding out just waiting for such a thing, then congratulations to him. He is maintaining the fabric of society.:rolleyes: (Being one of the reasons I didn't go on to join the sheriff's dept after graduating the academy. I just couldn't see myself doing that to someone with enough brains not to sit there like an idiot.)

Does obeying traffic laws conflict with God's laws? No sir, our obedience to the earthly authorities is part of our faith Rom 13. So failure to adhere to those laws is actually a sin. Red lights irritate the heck out of me most of the time. We live in a city that is basically incapable of synchronizing traffic lights, for some reason they think of them not as traffic control lights, rather they believe they should be stop lights. You can set there waiting and watching the green light turn red when yours turns green. How much pollution is put in the air from unnecessary lights working all night when no traffic is out to speak of.