WHAT JESUS FULFILLED

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
"Think not that I am come to destroy the Law or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill.For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." (Matthew 5:17,18).

Fulfill - PLEROO (GRK.) - to make replete, to furnish, satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify a prediction.

Jesus Himself explained what He fulfilled and the meaning of the world fulfill in Luke 24:44. The same word PLEROO is used in this passage which renders the meaning as; to verify a prediction or prophecies. PLEROO is also used in the following
passages:

Matthew 1:22; 2:15,17, 23; 4:14; 8:17; 3:15; Philippians 2:2; Colossians 1:25; 4:17.

Does fulfill mean abolish or end in any of these passages? Obviously not. Jesus is fulfilling the prophecies written about Him and even of those concerning the laws and commands of God. He would magnify the Law i.e. the Ten Commandments and its expansions and explanations and He would replace the sacrificial laws by the sacrifice of His body. (Isaiah 42:21; Psalm 40:6-8; Hebrews 10:5-10). Hence, what He did in Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28,for example,was not to amend or rewrite or abolish any of the commandments but was to repeat and enlarge (magnify) what was already in the Law and prophets.

The Law did not permit you to hate or be angry with anyone; "Thou shall not hate thy brother in thine heart..." (Leviticus 19:17).

The Law and the prophets were against lusting or desires which are wrong; "Lust not after her beauty in thine heart;..." (Proverbs =6:25).

Reactions: bbyrd009

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
"Think not that I am come to destroy the Law or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill......one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

I've often wondered what "fulfillment" looked like to Jesus. It is generally not debated that a major portion of what he was saying had to do with him being the anointed one (Messiah). However, the last line mentions ALL being fulfilled and the details surrounding the "all" seems to cause contention. It seemed to me that the "all" encompassed the establishment of the reign of the Kingdom of Heaven, but admittedly, that is not specified so being too dogmatic about it may not be wise.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I've often wondered what "fulfillment" looked like to Jesus. It is generally not debated that a major portion of what he was saying had to do with him being the anointed one (Messiah). However, the last line mentions ALL being fulfilled and the details surrounding the "all" seems to cause contention. It seemed to me that the "all" encompassed the establishment of the reign of the Kingdom of Heaven, but admittedly, that is not specified so being too dogmatic about it may not be wise.

How is this "kingdom of heaven" used or defined in the text? When John asks if he is the messiah, Christ replies that the blind see, the deaf hear, the lame walk, that's how one knows the kingdom has arrived. When you see people rushing into it like they were 2000 years ago, there should be no doubt that you too can make your way into the kingdom if that's what you really want to do.

The problem for most is that they can't see what is plainly self evident for all to see. The truth is always and everywhere self evident, but we are so wrapped up in ourselves that we have blinded ourselves to it. We hide from it just like Adam and Eve because we are terrified of losing ourselves in Christ. We cherish our separate individuality never noticing that it is a blatant contradiction. It is a persistent and pervasive delusion.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
How is this "kingdom of heaven" used or defined in the text?

That is kind of a big deal, isn't it? Is it the church? Is it the literal reign of Christ that began at the right hand of power in the 1st century? Is it a future thing? Rightly dividing the whole context of what scripture says could uncover the best answer.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Think not that I am come to destroy the Law or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill.For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." (Matthew 5:17,18).

Fulfill - PLEROO (GRK.) - to make replete, to furnish, satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify a prediction.

Jesus Himself explained what He fulfilled and the meaning of the world fulfill in Luke 24:44. The same word PLEROO is used in this passage which renders the meaning as; to verify a prediction or prophecies. PLEROO is also used in the following
passages:

Matthew 1:22; 2:15,17, 23; 4:14; 8:17; 3:15; Philippians 2:2; Colossians 1:25; 4:17.

Does fulfill mean abolish or end in any of these passages? Obviously not. Jesus is fulfilling the prophecies written about Him and even of those concerning the laws and commands of God. He would magnify the Law i.e. the Ten Commandments and its expansions and explanations and He would replace the sacrificial laws by the sacrifice of His body. (Isaiah 42:21; Psalm 40:6-8; Hebrews 10:5-10). Hence, what He did in Matthew 5:21-22, 27-28,for example,was not to amend or rewrite or abolish any of the commandments but was to repeat and enlarge (magnify) what was already in the Law and prophets.

The Law did not permit you to hate or be angry with anyone; "Thou shall not hate thy brother in thine heart..." (Leviticus 19:17).

The Law and the prophets were against lusting or desires which are wrong; "Lust not after her beauty in thine heart;..." (Proverbs =6:25).
Jesus fulfilled the burden of the Law upon man and gave us a new commandment to love....God first....your neighbor as yourself second.... and in obeying these two commandments to love then we have fulfilled all that the law could ever intend to achieve....

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Jesus fulfilled the burden of the Law upon man and gave us a new commandment to love....God first....your neighbor as yourself second....

Those aren't new commandments.

and in obeying these two commandments to love then we have fulfilled all that the law could ever intend to achieve....

It is only by love that the law can be fulfilled. The love of Christ enables the new creature to keep all of God's law perfectly. If one jot or title of the law is not kept, then one is still under condemnation, and must continue to rely upon the sacrifice of Christ to cover their sin. It is only when one has passed from the old to the new that one can keep the law perfectly.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those aren't new commandments.

It is only by love that the law can be fulfilled. The love of Christ enables the new creature to keep all of God's law perfectly. If one jot or title of the law is not kept, then one is still under condemnation, and must continue to rely upon the sacrifice of Christ to cover their sin. It is only when one has passed from the old to the new that one can keep the law perfectly.
Don't nit-pick....lol....geez....okay so not new but Jesus expanded on it and further clarified what God truly seeks from those who believe in Him....to be loved with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength is quite a task.....and then on top of that to love our neighbor as ourselves! Tall order for those who are puffed up like the Pharisees and Sadducees and who had no clue who they were talking to.....they never grasped the concept of how great God's love for us was...insomuch that He sent His only begotten Son to become the sacrifice for all mankind...
So the next chapter in Matthew...23...Jesus spoke to the multitude and His disciples and He spoke warned them to not become like the Pharisees and Saduccees....and Jesus spoke several woes unto them...or anyone who follows after their ways.....Jesus didn't hold back either....and He exposed for all to hear what was in their heart....
But Jesus spent his entire time here teaching us how to love.....Love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength....and how to love our neighbor as ourselves....before Jesus came no one had a true example to follow.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Don't nit-pick....lol....geez....okay so not new but Jesus expanded on it

The Old Testament prophets point out that he "magnified" the law. He establishes the law; except for the sacrificial system which he did away with.

and further clarified what God truly seeks from those who believe in Him....to be loved with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength is quite a task.....

Not under the New Covenant. It's a Given. It's the easiest thing in the world. "My yoke is easy, my burden light".

and then on top of that to love our neighbor as ourselves! Tall order for those who are puffed up like the Pharisees and Sadducees and who had no clue who they were talking to.....

Then they are explicitly forgiven by Christ himself; e.g. "Father forgive them for they know not what they do". Some might caution that they may have actually known what they were doing.

they never grasped the concept of how great God's love for us was...

Or they were spending too much time grasping the concept rather than the reality. Seems to be a problem today as well.

But Jesus spent his entire time here teaching us how to love.....

He led by example. He personified God's law in action. Everything he said was right out of the Old Testament.

Love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength....and how to love our neighbor as ourselves....before Jesus came no one had a true example to follow.

Now no one follows the example, so this really isn't the issue. The issue is the fact that if one doesn't believe what God says or if one can't rightly divide the word, then only lies are believed.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Old Testament prophets point out that he "magnified" the law. He establishes the law; except for the sacrificial system which he did away with.

Not under the New Covenant. It's a Given. It's the easiest thing in the world. "My yoke is easy, my burden light".

Then they are explicitly forgiven by Christ himself; e.g. "Father forgive them for they know not what they do". Some might caution that they may have actually known what they were doing.

Or they were spending too much time grasping the concept rather than the reality. Seems to be a problem today as well.

He led by example. He personified God's law in action. Everything he said was right out of the Old Testament.

Now no one follows the example, so this really isn't the issue. The issue is the fact that if one doesn't believe what God says or if one can't rightly divide the word, then only lies are believed.
As we grow in our spiritual walk our heart fills with the compassion of Christ towards others....when He removes all the dross the Holy Spirit reveals things in our heart we may not see.
Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, Oh Lord, and renew a right spirit within me.

David is an excellent example of how he searched his own heart, thoughts and motives and was grieved in how he sinned against God and against his brothers....

I prayed that scripture over my life for years and am now seeing the change as He has heard my prayer and gave me a new heart....sometimes it came through adversity....other times from pure joy.

Reactions: amadeus