What millenials think of Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

R

Rita

it is a rubbish article by a person who doesn't understand Christianity.
If you class it as a rubbish article then you are missing the point, and revealing that how you see yourself is not what others may see. The article reflects what outsiders see looking in, not what Christians think or see looking out. Although this article asked what american millennials see, I would think you would get the same in the UK and other western nations. Sometimes I do think it’s important to hear ‘ how we come across ‘ and really give some thought about why we come across in that way, and do we want to change...........
It’s not about being critical , it’s about being honest......
My children all left the church eagerly because of many of the things that were listed in some of the findings.....yet they see Jesus in a different light. They also see me and a few from the past churches as being genuine believers. My children are all pre millennials.....
I left the church because of some of the things that are listed......but I am ancient !!
Rita

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
59 Percent of Millennials Raised in a Church Have Dropped Out—And They're Trying to Tell Us Why

From article,
2. We’re Sick of Hearing About Values & Mission Statements

Sweet Moses people, give it a rest.

Of course, as an organization, it’s important to be moving in the same direction, but that should easier for Christians than anyone because we already have a leader to follow. Jesus was insanely clear about our purpose on earth:

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:30-31)

“Love God. Love Others.” Task completed.

Why does every church need its own mission statement anyway? Aren’t we all one body of Christ, serving one God? What would happen if the entire American Church came together in our commonalities and used the same, concise mission statement?

Solution:

• Stop wasting time on the religious mambo jambo and get back to the heart of the gospel. If you have to explain your mission and values to the church, it’s overly-religious and much too complicated.
  • We’re not impressed with the hours you brag about spending behind closed doors wrestling with Christianese words on a paper. We’re impressed with actions and service.
This seems like an over-simplification to me.

Yes, those are the two greatest commandments, but a lot of error will come into a church without some doctrines being maintained, like
  • Trinity,
  • Bible inerrancy,
  • Heaven & Hell being real,
  • Original Sin,
  • Being Born-Again,
  • Believer's baptism,
  • Baptism of the Holy Spirit,
  • Personal Holiness,* etc.
Forsaking these in the name of "ecumenism" would nullify our testimony.

*Holiness means to faithfully follow the Spirit's leading and to repent when we fail to do so. (Legalism, OTOH, is blindly following rules/laws that the Holy Spirit hasn't even convicted us of, yet.)

"He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the Lord require of you
  • But to do justly,
  • To love mercy,
  • And to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 NKJV

Reactions: marks and Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This seems like an over-simplification to me.

Yes, those are the two greatest commandments, but a lot of error will come into a church without some doctrines being maintained, like
  • Trinity,
  • Bible inerrancy,
  • Heaven & Hell being real,
  • Original Sin,
  • Being Born-Again,
  • Believer's baptism,
  • Baptism of the Holy Spirit,
  • Personal Holiness,* etc.
Forsaking these in the name of "ecumenism" would nullify our testimony.

*Holiness means to faithfully follow the Spirit's leading and to repent when we fail to do so. (Legalism, OTOH, is blindly following rules/laws that the Holy Spirit hasn't even convicted us of, yet.)

"He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the Lord require of you
  • But to do justly,
  • To love mercy,
  • And to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 NKJV

For sure. I'm just saying, I like to see that mission statement lived out and invited to do the same. I am on fire and already try to live it out. But for those who need a spark, may I help give it and others too.

I am one to talk. Teenagers make me a bit nervous. I hardly try to speak/relate to older Generation Z at all. But I guess then again my gift is with the young kids of the generation.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For sure. I'm just saying, I like to see that mission statement lived out and invited to do the same. I am on fire and already try to live it out. But for those who need a spark, may I help give it and others too.

I am one to talk. Teenagers make me a bit nervous. I hardly try to speak/relate to older Generation Z at all. But I guess then again my gift is with the young kids of the generation.

I'm not too much of a fan talking to others around my age face to face, because a lot of people in their 20s still act like teenagers and I just don't fit in, more then half find taking illicit drugs fun, some like burning rubber on the streets, a lot seem to go clubbing regularly during normal times and that's definitely not my kind of thing and they are pretty wild too.

It's a sad thing, but ah well.

And no offense, but most good Christian Millenials tend to ignore me, I probably am guilty of it too though lolz, but I am usually the one that gets left out sadly.

So that's my view.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm not too much of a fan talking to others around my age face to face, because a lot of people in their 20s still act like teenagers and I just don't fit in, more then half find taking illicit drugs fun, some like burning rubber on the streets, a lot seem to go clubbing regularly during normal times and that's definitely not my kind of thing and they are pretty wild too.

And no offense, but most good Christian Millenials tend to ignore me, I probably am guilty of it too though lolz, but I am usually the one that gets left out sadly.

So that's my view.
@Josho: So at what age do you expect to become 'a middle aged man' or eve 'an old man'? :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And then you are probably thinking that's nothing, that's only the age of a little kid. :p
Well, Paul would say we need to keep looking forward, Christ-ward...

'And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.'

Reactions: Josho

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They think Christians are people who never ever not in a million sin....because they were told Christians are hypocrites because they don't practice what they preach....so this gets validated in their minds when they witness a person who they know claims to be a Christian do something in their mind as wrong....example...seeing them drink a beer....that was enough to convince them that sure enough they don't practice what they preach.

I can agree with that on a surface level.
However on a deeper level, moreso Establishing, for the sake of the conversation, sin being the consequence, sin itself must be defined, which I believe, even most Christians do not understand, thus the disagreement ensues and the matter left unsettled.
Really a different Topic then this OP.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think that if one studies the Bible or if one just passively accepts so called Fundamentalist culture, the two may sometimes diverge quite markedly.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So that's my view.

Why I like "Xenial" for 30's. Because I agree. 20's seem so different. 30's is an awkward age, because not generation X and not quite as tide pod eating, licking food products mind set as those in their 20's

Reactions: Josho

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sometimes I do think it’s important to hear ‘ how we come across...
Christians should understand clearly that even if they did everything perfectly they would be reviled by the world. Jesus was perfect and yet hated. So why do you think it matters "how we come across"? Christians will never come across to the world other than in opposition to the world and its values (unless they themselves have compromised).

Let's also keep in mind that the Millennials have been seriously infected with the virus of Communism and extreme Left-Liberalism in their schools, colleges, and universities. Western culture -- by and large -- has succumbed to Leftist ideology and daily lies.

Take the case of Joe Biden. Conservative Kavanaugh was mercilessly attacked by the Leftists when he was actually innocent. But Biden's sexual assault is being suppressed on all sides, and he is being praised to high heaven, when he should be in a facility for those who have lost their marbles. Google has removed the clip from 1993 where Larry King discussed Biden's shenanigans. And there are dozens of pictures with Biden trying to snuggle up to little girls as well as mature women. The press would normally call him a slimeball. But no, he is actually being lauded by the Left!

So Christians can be perfect yet will be hated regardless. So pay no attention to these rants.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Biden's sexual assault is being suppressed on all sides, and he is being praised to high heaven, when he should be in a facility for those who have lost their marbles.
full
(Not guilty by reason of insanity...?)
full

R

Rita

Christians should understand clearly that even if they did everything perfectly they would be reviled by the world. Jesus was perfect and yet hated. So why do you think it matters "how we come across"? Christians will never come across to the world other than in opposition to the world and its values (unless they themselves have compromised).

Let's also keep in mind that the Millennials have been seriously infected with the virus of Communism and extreme Left-Liberalism in their schools, colleges, and universities. Western culture -- by and large -- has succumbed to Leftist ideology and daily lies.

Take the case of Joe Biden. Conservative Kavanaugh was mercilessly attacked by the Leftists when he was actually innocent. But Biden's sexual assault is being suppressed on all sides, and he is being praised to high heaven, when he should be in a facility for those who have lost their marbles. Google has removed the clip from 1993 where Larry King discussed Biden's shenanigans. And there are dozens of pictures with Biden trying to snuggle up to little girls as well as mature women. The press would normally call him a slimeball. But no, he is actually being lauded by the Left!

So Christians can be perfect yet will be hated regardless. So pay no attention to these rants.
Not all critism is untrue Enoch, and if you fail to see that some of what they say is spot on, then you perhaps are looking through rose coloured glasses. Of course there will always be those who criticise for the sake of it, and there are many Christians who are judged unfairly- but not all.
So I stand by what I said .......
Rita

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was perfect and yet hated. So why do you think it matters "how we come across"? Christians will never come across to the world other than in opposition to the world and its values (unless they themselves have compromised).
Yes, when the compromised gospel, so to speak, is accepted in error as if a true way of God and Jesus,
then the wide road is made wider, and the gate to sheol is made broader, to accomodate them who follow it.

Jesus never once said compromise of His Word or the Father's Word was ever okay. Rather leads to plagues as He Says Clearly,
.... and worse ....

Reactions: Heart2Soul

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the article is about what bothers him about fellow believers. :) There are many more categories that could be added in...but aren't.

And a lot of this has to do with how somebody seems to be compared to how they are being perceived. So then a rebellious Christian who is corrected could see the person who is doing the correction as a "know-it-all...or a "holier-than-thou. And it comes from having an unteachable and rebellious attitude which is the MOST prevalent attitude of all in the modern church...yet not listed. Coincidence? I think not! What caused God to reject the people in the wilderness? Does God still count?

Hmmmm....what does that say about the author? ;)

And many of the so-called genuine but flawed believers today that he seems to think he belongs to...are actually just new-agers who seek to appear loving even as they are enemies of the cross.

Christianity is about holiness and truth...and people HATE holiness and truth. So that is reflected in the article. What people care more about is presentation. How something seems to a person on the carnal level.
Great point! People often times set out to reveal others, but end up actually revealing themself.

Much love!