What Mormons Believe--according to a Former BYU Professor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was God the Father ever a man?

MORMONISM TEACHES: God the Father Has a Body of Flesh and Bones • “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s” (D&C 130:22). • “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! . . . I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see . . . he was once a man like us . . . and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 345 – 46).​

Source: Wilder, Lynn K.. Unveiling Grace (p. 341-343). Zondervan. Kindle Edition. (Emphasis in bold added.)

Reactions: Mjh29

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm asking what you believe personally.
My personal view: It's speculation. I don' t have more than that, and that's the end of it.
To explain other people's speculation requires a lot of explanation, examining Creeds, etc.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My personal view: It's speculation. I don' t have more than that, and that's the end of it.
To explain other people's speculation requires a lot of explanation, examining Creeds, etc.

Do you think that it is possible that God the Father was once a man? Do you believe that it is even in the realm of possibility?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
MORMONISM TEACHES: God the Father Has a Body of Flesh and Bones • “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s” (D&C 130:22). • )

Like the God the Son.​

God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! . . . I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see . . . he was once a man like us . . . and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 345 – 46).​
^Not actually LDS doctrine. Rather this quote is a speculative quote and in no mean official status. You can think it's bunk and be LDS Christian 100% is good standing. To explain this quote requires a lot of background, as I previously stated.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hence your point "this isn't in the Bible" doesn't hold much weight.

I don't believe Sola Sciptura. I find it illogical and not in the Biblical (ironically).

2 Timothy 3:16-17

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Look, it's not my intent to make you feel ganged up on. I know how that feels, and it stinks. But if someone asks me what I believe about something doctrinal, I can tell them and give Bible verses to support my belief. If I'm not sure about it, I search the Bible for answers.

In the above quote, Lynn is quoting the D&C, which is considered LDS scripture, right?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think that it is possible that God the Father was once a man? Do you believe that it is even in the realm of possibility?
I literally just answered this:

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I literally just answered this:

So you don't know if you think it is possible? I'm not asking if you believe it; I am asking if you believe it is possible? Does it even have a slight chance of being true?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Look, it's not my intent to make you feel ganged up on. I know how that feels, and it stinks. But if someone asks me what I believe about something doctrinal, I can tell them and give Bible verses to support my belief. If I'm not sure about it, I search the Bible for answers.
It's good to have calm and helpful discussions from the Scriptures, our authority.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In the above quote, Lynn is quoting the D&C, which is considered LDS scripture, right?
Yes. Scripture statement: The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s” (D&C 130:22).

The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, quote is not.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior