What Old Covenant Laws are the New Covenant believer to obey?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not share any of your God given revelations about anything.
Maybe you should start your own thread on the topic, "Share your God given revelations", where you and others share your "God given revelations".

The topic of this thread is not that.

It's called "order". You are in disorder when you are not on topic. If people are interested in your topic, they'll go and talk with you, but please stop being off topic here.

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, not on topic, so I don't even waste time reading.
Again, not on topic, so I don't even waste time reading.
What is a waist of your time is to point to all the accusations you make with references, because you can't. That's why its a waist of your time. You just want to remain the accuser of the brethren without care. You stated it perfectly in your last post.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is a waist of your time is to point to all the accusations you make with references, because you can't. That's why its a waist of your time. You just want to remain the accuser of the brethren without care. You stated it perfectly in your last post.
Sounds good. I invite you to place me on ignore since you find me so objectionable. You're just another woman without any ability to have any reason in your mind. You just mindlessly chatter, making no sense, all emotions, all senseless ignorance, all disorderly. Yeah, you know the Lord, but you don't have a clue about the Bible (the topic). There's a reason you women are NEVER to teach men.

Last edited:

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds good. I invite you to place me on ignore since you find me so objectionable. You're just another woman without any ability to have any reason in your mind. You just mindlessly chatter, making no sense, all emotions, all senseless ignorance, all disorderly. Yeah, you know the Lord, but you don't have a clue about the Bible (the topic). There's a reason you women are NEVER to teach men.
Jesus is not a woman, and neither am I, you weak puke!

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is not a woman, and neither am I, you weak puke!
You talk like a woman lol so emotional and irrational

Anyway, put me on ignore, since you find me so objectionable. I'm done listening to your ignorance!

If not I'll just have to put you on ignore soon. Don't want to hear this nonsense anymore.

steve morrow

Jul 11, 2021
king city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DO NOT COVET

EXODUS 20:17 thou shalt not covet thy neighbors house thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife nor his manservant nor his ox nor his ass ---NOR ANY THING THAT IS THY NEIGHBORS---

PSALM 119:36 incline my heart unto thy testimonies ---AND NOT TO COVETOUSNESS---

PSALM 119:111 thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever for they are the rejoicing of my heart

PSALM 119:157 many are my persecuters and my enemies yet do I not decline from thy testimonies

EZEKIEL 33:31 and they come unto thee as the people cometh and they sit before thee as MY people and they hear thy words but they will not do them for with their mouth they show much love ---BUT THEIR HEART GOETH AFTER THEIR COVETOUSNESS---

PSALM 10:3 FOR THE WICKED BOASTETH OF HIS HEARTS DESIRE AND BLESSETH THE COVETOUS WHOM THE LORD ABHORRETH

1 CORINTHIANS 5:11 but now have I written unto you not to keep company if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator --OR COVETOUS-- or an idolater or a railer or a drunkard or an extortioner with such an one no not to eat

COLOSSIANS 3:5 mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth fornication uncleanness inordinate affection evil concupiscense and covetousness which is idolatry

HEBREWS 13:5 let your conversation be ---without covetousness--- and be content with such things as you have for HE hath said I will never leave or forsake thee

EPHESIANS 5:3 but fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness let it not be once named among you as becometh saints

LOVING THE LORD JESUS CHRIST

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Everything that is not specifically annulled by name in the New Covenant?
God's righteousness is eternal (Psalms 119:142), therefore all of God's righteous laws are also eternal (Psalms 119:160). The way to act in accordance with God's righteousness is straightforwardly based on His righteousness, not on a particular covenant, so any instructions that God has ever given for how to act in accordance with His eternal righteousness are eternally valid regardless of which covenant someone is under, if any. The only way that eternal laws for how to act in accordance with God's eternal righteousness can be nullified is by first nullifying God's eternal righteousness.

In Galatians 3:16-19, a new covenant does not nullify the promise of a covenant that has already been ratified, so the New Covenant does not nullify our need to obey God's law in connection with the promise, but rather it involves God putting is His eternal law in our mind and writing it on our hearts (Jeremiah 31:33)

2. All that is called "Moral" law which is the Ten Commandments PLUS what is added to the Ten such as in the Larger Westminster Catechism?
The Bible never lists which are the moral laws and never even refers to that as being a category of law. The existence of the moral law would imply that we can be acting morally while disobeying laws that aren't in that category, however, there is no example in the Bible of disobedience to any of God's laws being considered to be moral and I do not see justification for thinking that it can be moral to disobey God. Morality is in regard to what we ought to do and we ought to obey God, so all of God's laws are inherently moral laws. Legislators give laws according to what they think ought to be done, so for someone to claim that some of God's laws are not moral laws is to claim that God made a moral error about what ought to be done when He gave those laws, and therefore to claim to have greater moral knowledge than God.

3. All the Old Covenant laws for they come from God?
Indeed, the God of Israel has given instructions for how to know, love, worship, believe in, and testify about Him, so anyone who is interested in doing those things should follow those instructions. Bible repeatedly refers to the Mosaic Law as being God's way and followers of the God of Israel should walk in His way.

4. No Old Covenant law for all was abolished and annulled?
Indeed, in Matthew 5:17-19, Jesus specifically said that he came not to abolish the law and warned against relaxing the least part of it or teaching others to relax the least part of it. Likewise, in Romans 3:31, Paul confirmed that our faith does not abolish God's law, but rather our faith upholds it. In Deuteronomy 13:1-5, the way that God instructed His children to determine that someone is a false prophet who is not speaking for Him is if they teach against obeying His law, so that does not leave us any room to follow someone who teaches that the least part of it has been annulled, which is why the NT should not be interpreted as saying that.

5. Only the everlasting Law of God existing prior to the Old Covenant, which is also found contained in the Old Covenant, and continuing by direct command from Jesus in the New Covenant?

Which do you believe and on what scriptures do you base your belief?
God's nature is eternal, so the way to act in accordance with His nature existed before the creation of man. In John 15:10, Jesu used a parallel statement to equate his commands with those of the Father, and in John 14:23-24, Jesus said that if we love him, then we will obey his instructions, if we do not love him, then we will not obey his instructions, and that his instructions are not his own, but that of the Father, so he did not teach his own laws. In Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to subtract from God's law, so Jesus did not do that.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, there is a new house, the Body of Jesus Christ! Under the New Covenant that the Lord said would come forth, we see Jesus Christ as the High Priest. The old covenant with it’s laws and regulations have been taken away because thru Jesus Christ a new and better covenant has come in to place.

Hebrews 10:9
Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God.
He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

And with the changing of the priesthood, God’s Word tells us there is also a change of the law.

Hebrews 7:12
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

The Law of Moses has been replaced by the Law of Christ.

In the New Testament, many mentions of “the law” is actually referring to Law of Christ (aka the Law of Liberty) and is not talking about the old testament law. Christians are NOT called to keep or live under the old testament law, but we ARE called to live under the Law of Christ.

Ultimately this means we are called to abide In Christ which is living after the Spirit and not after the flesh, or to be spiritually minded and not carnally minded (see Romans 8). As we see in Romans 8, to be spiritually minded is life and peace but to be carnally minded is death which is separation from the Lord.

Galatians 6:2
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

1 Corinthians 9:21
To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

James 2:12
So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

James 1:25
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Romans 8:2
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
*Free as in no longer being a slave to sin, as in stop doing sinful things!
In Matthew 4:15-23, Christ began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and the Mosaic Law was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message. Furthermore, Jesus set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law and we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who abide in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6). So Christ spent his ministry teaching his followers to obey the Mosaic Law by word and by example and he did not establish the New Covenant for the purpose of undermining anything that he spent his ministry teaching, but rather the New Covenant involves God putting the Mosaic Law in our minds and writing it on our hearts (Jeremiah 31:33). I don't see a good reason to think that following the Law of Christ is something other than or contrary to following what Christ taught.

In 1 Corinthians 9:21, Paul used a parallel statement to equate not being outside the Law of God with being under the Law of Christ, and the Law of Moses is referring to as the Law of God in verses like Nehemiah 8:1-8, Ezra 7:6-12, and Luke 2:22-23.

The Mosaic Law is perfect (Psalms 19:7), it is of liberty (Psalms 119:45), and it blesses those who obey it (Psalms 119:1-3), so when James 1:25 speaks about the perfect law of liberty that blesses those who obey it, he wasn't saying anything about the Mosaic Law that wasn't already said in the Psalms.

In Romans 7:25-8:2, Paul contrasted the Law of God with the law of sin and contrasted the Law of the Spirit with the law of sin and death, so he equated the Law of God with the Law of the Spirit. After all, the Law of Moses was given by God and the Spirit is God, so it is the Law of the Spirit. God is not disagreement with Himself about which laws we should follow, so the Law of Christ is the same as the Law of the Spirit and the Law of the Father, which was given to Moses. Furthermore, in Romans 8:4-7, those who walk in the Spirit are contrasted with those who have minds set on the flesh who are enemies of God who refuse to submit to the Mosaic Law.

The Bible often uses the same terms to describe aspects of the nature of God as it does to describe aspects of the nature of the Mosaic Law, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), and with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the Mosaic Law (Matthew 23:23), which is because it is God's instructions for how to partake in the divine nature. In Hebrews 1:3, Jesus is the exact image of God's nature, which he expressed through living in perfect obedience to the Mosaic Law.

Law of Christ

The phrase "the law of Christ" appears only in Galatians 6:2, although it is implied by the wording of 1 Corinthians 9:21 as well. In both places, its precise meaning is difficult to fix. In Galatians, Paul argues vigorously that the law given at Sinai makes no claim on those who believe in Christ, whether Gentile or Jew ( 2:15-21 ; Galatians 3:10-14 Galatians 3:23-26 ; 4:4-5 ; 4:21-5:6).
Galatians should not be interpreted as speaking against obeying what Christ taught.

Jesus' teaching, although standing in continuity with the law given at Sinai, nevertheless sovereignly fashions a new law. In some instances Jesus sharpens commandments ( Matt 5:17-48 ) and in others considers them obsolete ( Mark 7:17-19 ). On one occasion, having been asked to identify the greatest commandment, Jesus concurs with the Jewish wisdom of his time ( Mark 12:32-33 ) that the greatest commandments are to love God supremely and to love one's neighbor as oneself ( Mark 12:28-31 ). He breaks with tradition, however, by defining the term "neighbor" to mean even the despised Samaritan ( Luke 10:29-37 ).
In Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to or subtract from the Mosaic Law, so Jesus did not do that. In Matthew 4, Jesus consistently proceeded a quote from what was written by saying "it is written...", but in Matthew 5, he consistently proceeded a quote from what the people had heard being said by saying "you have heard that it was said...", so his emphasis on the form of communication is important. Jesus was not sinning by making changes to the Mosaic Law, but rather he was fulfilling it by correcting what the people had heard being taught and by teaching how to correctly obey it as it was originally intended.

In Mark 7:1-13, Jesus criticized the Pharisees as being hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own traditions, so he should not be interpreted as turning around and even more hypocritically doing what he just finished criticizing the Pharisees for doing, especially because that would mean that he sinned and therefore disqualified himself as being our Savior.

In Matthew 22:36-40, Jesus summarizes the Mosaic Law as being about how to love God and our neighbor and that that all of the other commandments hang on them, so if you think that we should obey the greatest two commandments, then you should also think that we should obey all of the other commandments that hang on them. For example, if we love God and our neighbor, then we won't commit adultery, idolatry, theft, murder, kidnapping, rape, favoritism, and so forth for the rest of the Mosaic Law.

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
All throughout the Bible, God wanted His people to repent and to return to obedience to the Mosaic Law, and even Christ because his ministry with that Gospel message, so it would be absurd to interpret Galatians 5:4 as Paul warning us against following Christ and saying that we will be cut off from Christ if we follow him. In Psalms 119:29-30, he wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey the Mosaic Law, and he chose the way of faith by setting it before him, so this is what it means to be under grace, and this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith. It would again be absurd to interpret that as saying that he wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him how to fall from grace.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are referring to the covenant that God made with Israel, recorded in Exodus 19,

Exodus 19:3-8 KJV
3) And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
4) Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.
5) Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
6) And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
7) And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him.
8) And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

I would answer that to consider yourself bound to these laws given by God to Israel would be like considering yourself bound to paying off your neighbor's car.
The God of Israel gave instructions to the Israelites for how to know, love, worship, believe in, and testify about Him, so anyone who wants to do those things should voluntarily follow those instructions regardless of their contractual obligations. Furthermore, those instructions were given to Israel in order to equip Israel to be a light and a blessing to the nations by turning the nations from their wickedness and teaching them to obey it in accordance with the promise and with spreading the Gospel.

Paul clearly expressed the Christian's relation to the Law in Romans 7:

Romans 7:1-6 KJV
1) Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
2) For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3) So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.
4) Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
5) For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
6) But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Much love!
In Romans 6:19-23, we are no longer to present ourselves as slaves to impurity, lawlessness, and sin, but are now to present ourselves as slaves to God and to righteousness leading to sanctification and the goal of sanctification is eternal life in Christ, which is the gift of God, so being an obeyer of the Mosaic Law is the content of God's gift of eternal life, and Romans 7:1-6 should not be interpreted in a way that contradicts the preceding verses. In Romans 7:1-3, at no point was the woman set free from needing to obey the Mosaic Law, so there is nothing that leads to the conclusion in verse 4 that in the same way we have been set free from obeying it. God's word is His instructions for how to be unified with God's word made flesh and would be absurd to think that we need to die to God's word in order to become unified with him. Likewise, it would be absurd to think that we need to die to God's instructions for how to bear fruit for Him in order to be free to bear fruit for Him.

In Romans 7:22-23, Paul delighted in obeying the Law of God, but contrasted that with the law of sin, which held him captive, so verses we interpret as referring to the Law of God should make sense for it to be referring to something that Paul delighted in doing. For example, it would be absurd to interpret Romans 7:5 as referring to the Law of God as if Paul delighted in stirring up sinful passions in order to bear fruit unto death and it would be absurd to interpret Romans 7:6 as though Paul delighted in being captive to sin, but rather it is the law of sin that he described as holding him captive.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:10
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse;

And that ain't good!
According to Deuteronomy 27-28, relying on the Mosaic Law is the way to be blessed while not relying on it is the way to be cursed, so Galatians 3:10 should not be interpreted as Paul quoting from those chapters in order to support a point that is arguing against them by saying that relying on it is the way to be cursed while not relying on it is the way to avoid being cursed. Rather, the way to come under the curse is by not relying on the Mosaic Law, so those who rely on works of the law instead of relying on the Mosaic Law come under that curse. God is trustworthy, therefore His instructions are also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so the way to rely on God is by obediently relying on His instructions, it is contradictory for someone to think that we should rely on God, but not on His instructions, and for someone to interpret that as speaking against relying on God's instructions is to interpret that as speaking against relying on God.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That still does not mean all of God's laws were nailed to Christ's cross. It's important to make sure brethren in Christ know that for certain, and not mislead them. Otherwise saying that all of God's laws are no longer in effect because Jesus nailed them all to His cross, is like saying that now it's OK to lie, steal, rape, murder, etc.
The purpose of the barbarity of crucifixion was to act as a deterrent, so the Romans wanted to make sure that everyone knew what someone was being crucified, which is why they would nail a handwritten ordinance to their cross that announce what they had been charged with. In Matthew 27:37, they nailed a sign to Christ's cross that announce the charge that was against him that he was the King of the Jews, so that is likely also how his followers knew that the people who were crucified with him were thieves. This fits perfectly with the concept with a sign that lists the sins that we have been charged with being nailed to Christ's cross and him dying in our place to pay the penalty for our sins, but has nothing to do with nailing laws themselves the cross. For example, they didn't have to legislate a new law against committing murder every time someone was crucified for committing murder. In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from any laws, but in order to free us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20).

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Deuteronomy 27-28, relying on the Mosaic Law is the way to be blessed while not relying on it is the way to be cursed, so Galatians 3:10 should not be interpreted as Paul quoting from those chapters in order to support a point that is arguing against them by saying that relying on it is the way to be cursed while not relying on it is the way to avoid being cursed. Rather, the way to come under the curse is by not relying on the Mosaic Law, so those who rely on works of the law instead of relying on the Mosaic Law come under that curse. God is trustworthy, therefore His instructions are also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so the way to rely on God is by obediently relying on His instructions, it is contradictory for someone to think that we should rely on God, but not on His instructions, and for someone to interpret that as speaking against relying on God's instructions is to interpret that as speaking against relying on God.
You obey all the Law? You execute gays? Adulterers? Rebellious children? Those who work on weekends?

The Law preachers LOVE to preach it but don't obey it!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 27:37, they nailed a sign to Christ's cross that announce the charge that was against him that he was the King of the Jews, so that is likely also how his followers knew that the people who were crucified with him were thieves.

You didn't keep reading to Apostle John's account. It was Pilate who had the sign put on Christ's cross that said, "King of the Jews", NOT the Jews. The Jews denied Jesus as their king. The Jew's wanted Jesus crucified because Jesus said He was The Son of God...

John 19:6-15
6 When the chief priests therefore and officers saw Him, they cried out, saying, "Crucify Him, crucify Him." Pilate saith unto them, "Take ye Him, and crucify Him: for I find no fault in Him."

The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God.

8 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more afraid;
9 And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, "Whence art Thou?" But Jesus gave him no answer.

10 Then saith Pilate unto Him, "Speakest Thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify Thee, and have power to release Thee?"

11 Jesus answered, "Thou couldest have no power at all against Me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered Me unto thee hath the greater sin."

And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release Him: but the Jews cried out, saying, "If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar."

13 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha.

And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, "Behold your King!"

15 But they cried out, "Away with Him, away with Him, crucify Him." Pilate saith unto them, "Shall I crucify your King?" The chief priest answered, "We have no king but Caesar."
KJV

Thus it was Pilate that was tantalizing those Jews with that title, "king of the Jews", something that Jesus never claimed, nor the Jews claimed. And that is why Pilate had that sign made and put on Jesus' cross, to tantalize the Jews, because Pilate knew those Jews wanted Jesus crucified because of their 'envy' of Jesus...

Matt 27:17-18
17 Therefore when they were gathered together, Pilate said unto them, Whom will ye that I release unto you? Barabbas, or Jesus which is called Christ?

For he knew that for envy they had delivered Him.
KJV

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You obey all the Law? You execute gays? Adulterers? Rebellious children? Those who work on weekends?

I don't know if you have observed, as I have, that there is no amount of evidence you can show "Torah Observant" Christians that will ever convince them that they don't know what they're talking about (they view and worship themselves as "masters of Scripture", so they will suffer nothing to bring an end to that illicit indulgence), but, no matter what, the guy isn't going to change his mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't keep reading to Apostle John's account. It was Pilate who had the sign put on Christ's cross that said, "King of the Jews", NOT the Jews. The Jews denied Jesus as their king. The Jew's wanted Jesus crucified because Jesus said He was The Son of God...

John 19:6-15
6 When the chief priests therefore and officers saw Him, they cried out, saying, "Crucify Him, crucify Him." Pilate saith unto them, "Take ye Him, and crucify Him: for I find no fault in Him."

The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by our law He ought to die, because He made Himself the Son of God.

8 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more afraid;
9 And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, "Whence art Thou?" But Jesus gave him no answer.

10 Then saith Pilate unto Him, "Speakest Thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify Thee, and have power to release Thee?"

11 Jesus answered, "Thou couldest have no power at all against Me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered Me unto thee hath the greater sin."

And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release Him: but the Jews cried out, saying, "If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar."

13 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha.

And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, "Behold your King!"

15 But they cried out, "Away with Him, away with Him, crucify Him." Pilate saith unto them, "Shall I crucify your King?" The chief priest answered, "We have no king but Caesar."
KJV

Thus it was Pilate that was tantalizing those Jews with that title, "king of the Jews", something that Jesus never claimed, nor the Jews claimed. And that is why Pilate had that sign made and put on Jesus' cross, to tantalize the Jews, because Pilate knew those Jews wanted Jesus crucified because of their 'envy' of Jesus...

Matt 27:17-18
17 Therefore when they were gathered together, Pilate said unto them, Whom will ye that I release unto you? Barabbas, or Jesus which is called Christ?

For he knew that for envy they had delivered Him.
KJV
In Matthew 27:11, Jesus affirmed that it was as he said, however, my point in citing Matthew 27:37 was not to discuss whether he or anyone else thought he was the King of the Jews, but rather my point was that they nailed a sign to his cross that announced the charge that was against him. The did not nail the laws themselves to people crosses, but a list of the violations of the law that they had been charged with committing, which fits perfectly with the list of our violations of God's law that we have been charged with committing being nailed to Christ's cross and with him dying in our place to pay the penalty for our sins, but has nothing to do with nailing any of God's laws to the cross.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I obey God's law. God's law does not instruct me to go around executing anyone that I think has violated certain laws, but rather it instructs for the witnesses to bring accused people before a judge who does a through investigation, for no one to be put to death without at least two or there witnesses, for the witnesses to throw the first stone, and for the penalty to be applied to the witnesses instead if they falsely accuse someone. Furthermore, Jesus gave himself to pay the penalty of our sins, so it would be unjust the enforce a penalty that has already been paid.

The issue of whether followers of God should follow God's commands in accordance with the example that Jesus set for us to follow is independent of what I happen to be doing. Even if I were the biggest hypocrite in the world who was actively trying to transgress the Mosaic Law as much as I could, then that would just mean that I would need to repent, not that I was wrong about the fact that followers of God should follow God's commands in accordance with the example that Christ set for us to follow.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know if you have observed, as I have, that there is no amount of evidence you can show "Torah Observant" Christians that will ever convince them that they don't know what they're talking about (they view and worship themselves as "masters of Scripture", so they will suffer nothing to bring an end to that illicit indulgence), but, no matter what, the guy isn't going to change his mind.
Most of the Torah observant Christians were initially taught against being Torah observant, which shows that we can be persuaded by the evidence to change our minds, which makes it odd that you would claim that about those who are Torah observant, especially if you have never changed your mind on the topic. Likewise, it seems odd for you to claim that we worship ourselves as masters of Scripture because we are not persuaded by your mastery of Scripture.

The Psalms express an extremely positive view of Torah observance, such as with David repeatedly saying that he loved it and he delighted in obeying it, so if we consider the Psalms to be Scripture and to therefore express a correct view of Torah observance, then we will also delight in obeying it as Paul did (Romans 7:22). For example, in Psalms 1:1-2, blessed are those who delight in the Torah of the Lord and who meditate on it day and night, so I realized that if I was going to continue to believe in the truth of the Psalms as Scripture that I needed to change my view of Torah observance to match the one expressed in Psalms. Furthermore, the authors of the NT considered the Psalms to be Scripture, so they should be interpreted as though they were in complete agreement with the view of Torah observance expressed in the Psalms rather than as though they held a view of Torah observance that is incompatible with what they considered to be Scripture.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Most of the Torah observant Christians were initially taught against being Torah observant, which shows that we can be persuaded by the evidence to change our minds, which makes it odd that you would claim that about those who are Torah observant, especially if you have never changed your mind on the topic. Likewise, it seems odd for you to claim that we worship ourselves as masters of Scripture because we are not persuaded by your mastery of Scripture.

The Psalms express an extremely positive view of Torah observance, such as with David repeatedly saying that he loved it and he delighted in obeying it, so if we consider the Psalms to be Scripture and to therefore express a correct view of Torah observance, then we will also delight in obeying it as Paul did (Romans 7:22). For example, in Psalms 1:1-2, blessed are those who delight in the Torah of the Lord and who meditate on it day and night, so I realized that if I was going to continue to believe in the truth of the Psalms as Scripture that I needed to change my view of Torah observance to match the one expressed in Psalms. Furthermore, the authors of the NT considered the Psalms to be Scripture, so they should be interpreted as though they were in complete agreement with the view of Torah observance expressed in the Psalms rather than as though they held a view of Torah observance that is incompatible with what they considered to be Scripture.
Well, most gays weren't gay, but were changed by life circumstances, but most gays don't change back, because homosexuality is a powerful delusion/illicit desire.

I'm not going to discuss the topic with you, because it is my experience that you all pretend to be interested in facts, but only as a means of trying to obtain worship.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I obey God's law.

What if you obeyed the New Covenant instead.

See, you dont realize that God's Law is Old Covenant, that has been replaced by the NEW TESTAMENT.

That does not mean that the 10 Commandments are not important...., but it does means they are not related to The Cross, regarding SALVATION.

See..... Christianity is CROSS Founded, not Old Testament Law and Commandments, (Moses) founded.

When will you ever understand this?

Never?

Is it because you just can't comprehend it, or is it because you prefer Self Righteousness, to God's Righteousness?