What Old Covenant Laws are the New Covenant believer to obey?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about addressing what I've said instead of throwing out accusations? Even if I were the biggest hypocrite in the word, then that would just mean that I would need to repent, not that I was wrong about the fact that followers of God should follow what God has commanded, so those are independent issues. You are attacking the person rather than my argument, which is an ad hominem.

Christ set a perfect example for us to follow of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law, so he was much more zealous for obedience to it than the Pharisees were and he never criticized them for obeying it, but he did criticize them for not obeying it or for not obeying it correctly. For example, in Mark 7:6-9, Jesus criticized them as being hypocrites for setting aside he commands of God in order to establish their own traditions. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that tithing was something that they ought to be doing while not neglecting weightier matters of the law of justice, mercy, and faith, so he was not opposing their obedience to it, but rather he was calling them to have a higher level of obedience to it in a manner that is in accordance with its weightier matters.

While God commanded priests to rest on the Sabbath, He also commanded priests to make offerings on the Sabbath (Numbers 28:9-10), however, it was not the case that they were forced to sin by breaking one of the two commands no matter what they chose to do, but that the lesser command was never intended to be understood as preventing the greater command from being obeyed. This is why Jesus said in Matthew 12:5-7 that priests who did their duties on the Sabbath were held innocent, why David and his men were held innocent, and why he defended his disciples as being innocent. This is also why it is lawful to circumcise a baby on the 8th day if it happens to fall on the Sabbath or to get an ox or a child out of a ditch on the Sabbath.
"Why weren't Jesus' disciples executed for working on Sabbath??? Jesus was with them and even defended them!"

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Why weren't Jesus' disciples executed for working on Sabbath??? Jesus was with them and even defended them!"
Why do you continue to ask the same question while ignoring my answer?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you continue to ask the same question while ignoring my answer?
Because you're totally evading my question. Stick to the NT, you might make into God's eternal Kingdom!

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because you're totally evading my question. Stick to the NT, you might make into God's eternal Kingdom!
Why are you lying about me evading your question?

In Psalms 40:8, God has made His will known through the Mosaic Law, and in Matthew 7:21-23, Jesus said that only those who do the will of the Father will enter the Kingdom of Heaven while he will tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them. The way to make it into God's eternal Kingdom is not by refusing to trust in what He has commanded.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you lying about me evading your question?

In Psalms 40:8, God has made His will known through the Mosaic Law,
The Law was ONLY for Israel, nobody else!
and in Matthew 7:21-23, Jesus said that only those who do the will of the Father will enter the Kingdom of Heaven while he will tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them. The way to make it into God's eternal Kingdom is not by refusing to trust in what He has commanded.
And His will is the New Covenant, not the Law of Moses that YOU don't obey.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law was ONLY for Israel, nobody else!

And His will is the New Covenant, not the Law of Moses that YOU don't obey.
The New Covenant was only made with the house of Judah and the house of Israel (Jeremiah 31:31), so it is only by becoming joined to Israel through faith in Christ that Gentiles are able to become partakers of the New Covenant, which involves God putting the Mosaic Law in our minds and writing it on our hearts. If someone wants nothing to do with being joined to Israel and obeying the Mosaic Law, then they want nothing to do with the New Covenant, which I do obey. The Law was given to Israel in order to equip them to be a light and a blessing to the nations by turning the nations from their wickedness and teaching them to obey it in accordance with the promise and with spreading the Gospel.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Covenant was only made with the house of Judah and the house of Israel (Jeremiah 31:31), so it is only by becoming joined to Israel through faith in Christ that Gentiles are able to become partakers of the New Covenant, which involves God putting the Mosaic Law in our minds and writing it on our hearts. If someone wants nothing to do with being joined to Israel and obeying the Mosaic Law, then they want nothing to do with the New Covenant, which I do obey. The Law was given to Israel in order to equip them to be a light and a blessing to the nations by turning the nations from their wickedness and teaching them to obey it in accordance with the promise and with spreading the Gospel.
So you think it's right to execute gays and those who work on weekends? I don't think you have enough body bags.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please address what I said instead of making things up.
Executing gays and those who work on weekends are COMMANDS in the Law of Moses. You've never read the Law of Moses but you're preaching it?

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Executing gays and those who work on weekends are COMMANDS in the Law of Moses. You've never read the Law of Moses but you're preaching it?
The Mosaic Law does not command to execute gays, but to execute those who have homosexual sex, though again, I have never witnesses anyone doing that, it requires the witnesses to throw the first stone, it requires that no one is to be put to death without at least two or three witnesses, it requires the accused people to be brought before a judge who does a thorough investigation, and it requires that the penalty be applied to the witnesses if they are false. Moreover, it does not require us to enforce a penalty that has already been paid. I have the read the Law of Moses and am trying to help you to understand it. Even if I had no idea about what the Mosaic Law contained, it wouldn't mean that I am wrong about the fact that followers of God should obey it in accordance with the example Christ set for us to follow.

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Mosaic Law does not command to executer gays, but to execute those who have homosexual sex, though again, I have never witnesses anyone doing that, it requires the witnesses to throw the first stone, it requires that no one is to be put to death without at least two or three witnesses, it requires the accused people to be brought before a judge who does a thorough investigation, and it requires that the penalty be applied to the witnesses if they are false. Moreover, it does not require us to enforce a penalty that has already been paid. I have the read the Law of Moses and am trying to help you to understand it. Even if I had no idea about what the Mosaic Law contained, it wouldn't mean that I am wrong about the fact that followers of God should obey it in accordance with the example Christ set for us to follow.
You don't obey the Law but you preach it. I'll stick with the New Covenant in Jesus' Blood!

Galatians 3:10
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#4. The old has been fulfilled and done away with. We now obey the commands as set forth in the New. The old had 613 commands, the new 1008 according to some.
In Matthew 5:17-19, Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law in contrast with saying that he came to abolish it, so you should not interpret fulfilling the law as meaning essentially the same thing as abolishing it. Rather, to fulfill the law means "to cause God's will (as made known through the law) to be obeyed as it should be" (NAS Greek Lexicon: pleroo), so after Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law he then proceeded to fulfill it six times throughout the rest of the chapter by teaching how to correctly obey it as it should be. According to Galatians 5:14, anyone who has ever loved their neighbor has fulfilled the entire law, so again it refers to correctly obeying it as it should be, furthermore, it refers to something that countless people have done, not to something unique that Jesus did to do away with it. In Galatians 6:2, bearing one another's burdens fulfills the Law of Christ, yet you do not consistently interpret that as saying that we do away with the Law of Christ by bearing one another's burdens. In Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to or subtract from the Mosaic Law, so Jesus did not do that, but rather all of the commands in the NT are in accordance with what was commanded in the OT.

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3:10
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse;

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Mosaic Law does not command to executer gays, but to execute those who have homosexual sex,
Huh? lol
though again, I have never witnesses anyone doing that, it requires the witnesses to throw the first stone, it requires that no one is to be put to death without at least two or three witnesses, it requires the accused people to be brought before a judge who does a thorough investigation, and it requires that the penalty be applied to the witnesses if they are false.
So you DON'T believe in obeying the Law of Moses! But I already guessed that.

Leviticus 20:13
13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.
Moreover, it does not require us to enforce a penalty that has already been paid.
How is it 'already paid'???
I have the read the Law of Moses and am trying to help you to understand it. Even if I had no idea about what the Mosaic Law contained, it wouldn't mean that I am wrong about the fact that followers of God should obey it in accordance with the example Christ set for us to follow.
Do you need witnesses to execute MILLIONS who work on weekends?

Exodus 31:15 Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Please stop preaching the Law of Moses that you don't obey! We have the New Covenant in Jesus' PRECIOUS Blood! Christians are NOT under the Law of Moses!

Galatians 3:24-25
24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Huh? lol

So you DON'T believe in obeying the Law of Moses! But I already guessed that.

Leviticus 20:13
13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.
Someone who is gay is sexually attracted to those of the same gender. That verse does not say to execute people who are sexually attracted to those who are the same gender, but rather it says to execute those who have homosexual sex.

How is it 'already paid'???
Jesus gave himself pay the penalty for our sins.

Do you need witnesses to execute MILLIONS who work on weekends?

Exodus 31:15 Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Please stop preaching the Law of Moses that you don't obey! We have the New Covenant in Jesus' PRECIOUS Blood! Christians are NOT under the Law of Moses!
I do obey the Law of Moses, though even if I did not, it wouldn't change the fact that followers of the God of Israel should obey what He has commanded. In Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves God putting the Mosaic Law in our minds and writing it on our hearts. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross. Christ also set a perfect example for us to follow of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law and we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way walked, so saying that Christians aren't under the Law of Moses is essentially arguing that followers of Christ shouldn't follow Christ, which is absurd.

24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Someone who disregarded everything that their tutor taught them after they left would be missing the whole point of a tutor. In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the Mosaic Law leads us to him because it was given to teach us how to know him, but it does not lead us to him so that we can then reject everything he taught and go back to living in sin.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone who is gay is sexually attracted to those of the same gender. That verse does not say to execute people who are sexually attracted to those who are the same gender, but rather it says to execute those who have homosexual sex.
You're chasing your tail.
Jesus gave himself pay the penalty for our sins.
Well then we don't have to obey the Law!!!
I do obey the Law of Moses, though even if I did not, it wouldn't change the fact that followers of the God of Israel should obey what He has commanded. In Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves God putting the Mosaic Law in our minds and writing it on our hearts. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross. Christ also set a perfect example for us to follow of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law and we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way walked, so saying that Christians aren't under the Law of Moses is essentially arguing that followers of Christ shouldn't follow Christ, which is absurd.

Someone who disregarded everything that their tutor taught them after they left would be missing the whole point of a tutor. In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the Mosaic Law leads us to him because it was given to teach us how to know him, but it does not lead us to him so that we can then reject everything he taught and go back to living in sin.
You might be better off writing your own bible since you just pick the parts you like and chop out the parts you don't like. Typical Law preacher!

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're chasing your tail.
You want to act like I don't know what the Mosaic Law instructs, so I corrected you.

Well then we don't have to obey the Law!!!
The fact that Jesus gave himself to pay the penalty for our sin should make us want to go and sin no more, not consider ourselves free to sin.

You might be better off writing your own bible since you just pick the parts you like and chop out the parts you don't like. Typical Law preacher!

It strengthens my position by be able to cite multiple verses throughout the position that support my position and contradict your position, but you are ignoring those verses, so you are guilty of what you accuse me of doing by chopping out those verses that you don't like while I spoke in regard to how Galatians 3:24-25 should be understood, so I am not chopping at the parts that I don't like.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You want to act like I don't know what the Mosaic Law instructs, so I corrected you.

The fact that Jesus gave himself to pay the penalty for our sin should make us want to go and sin no more, not consider ourselves free to sin.

It strengthens my position by be able to cite multiple verses throughout the position that support my position and contradict your position, but you are ignoring those verses, so you are guilty of what you accuse me of doing by chopping out those verses that you don't like while I spoke in regard to how Galatians 3:24-25 should be understood, so I am not chopping at the parts that I don't like.
You should read your own posts. You're totally confused about nearly everything. The law you preach is not even the Law of Moses. You chop it up just like Satan! You preach YOUR OWN law, not God's.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should read your own posts. You're totally confused about nearly everything. The law you preach is not even the Law of Moses. You chop it up just like Satan! You preach YOUR OWN law, not God's.
Repeating the same baseless accusations won't make them any more true.