Where did they invent that I AM is some name of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His name isn't God either....He IS God but that is not His name. So how do you reconcile calling Him God when that is not His name....and then challenge the English interpretation of I Am as incorrect?
ElieG12 is clearly trying to make more of God's covenant name than that of Jesus, going on about its many appearances in scripture, yet like all JWs, is unconcerned with the many uses of El, Elohe, and Elohim, nor with the contracted form "Yah" as in Yah Havah or Yah shuah.
The on line "discussion" on this "Christian" forum are predominantly over the carnal understanding of cults like the JWs and the traditional Christian interpretations of the word. Ecumenism is a curse in the name of unity.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps people don't understand what it means to be eternal and self existent, but there was no one to name God but God Himself, and so He identified Himself by many names, but gave one name above all names in the person of His Son, so that He might be glorified among men through our Lord Jesus Christ, His own person incarnate.
So well said that man.

אבץ

Oct 27, 2022
Billefjord
Faith
Christian
Country
Norway
There are also permutations of the name like יהיה or והיה. First one has a conjunction of 'yi' to 'haya', which makes something like 'yihaya', and means approximately "because it happened" Last one has a conjunction of 'va' to 'haya' to make 'vahaya', which means something akin to "and it came to pass". Semantics are obviously context dependent, and while it doesn't necessarily shed any light on the name itself, it sort of furnishes a phonetic influence, which characterizes a happening guy.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I Am The Lord that is My Name" In the beginning of my journey, The Lord had a faithful servant deliver to me a birthday card. And on this card was a picture of a beautiful place, full of spruce trees. When I look out my window today, I see exactly what was in that picture, that back then, I did not know existed. And the card was signed, "I AM".

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jews who studied scripture understood God to be self existent and eternal from their reading of scripture. (...)
Who are those "Jews who studied scripture" you refer to, and how did you find out what you say about them (if there is anything special that I can't know through my Bible study today)?

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Irrelevant....you are addressing who came up with the name "I Am"....which is not a name but His position. (...)
So Yahweh is God who is the I Am.
(...)
There is not any I AM that I know of ... I don't call my God with names that humans invent.

I know my God has a proper name; I can read it in the Bible when I study it and it is there near 7,000 times, and it does not say Yahweh in the Bible I read ... but JEHOVAH, which is a form in English that translate the Hebrew form, and it's been like that for centuries, so I don't think now I need a diferent form that the one is known. Actually, in Spanish (my first language) I use a diferent form, Jehová (and it sounds diferently) cause it depends on the language I speak at the moment. In Italian I use a diferent one, Geova (and it sounds diferent also).

If some call him I AM in English without even caring if that's what the Hebrew Bible says, what's the insistence on using a different form of his personal name than has been used (in every language) for centuries? Will you tell me how do I read the name of God in my Bible and what is the form of His name I use in my service to Him? Do you think He listens to you more than me because of the form of His personal name that you use? What about the name that people in Africa use ... or in Asia, or in other languages which have very diferent forms of that personal name of God?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is not any I AM that I know of ... I don't call my God with names that humans invent.

I know my God has a proper name; I can read it in the Bible when I study it and it is there near 7,000 times, and it does not say Yahweh in the Bible I read ... but JEHOVAH, which is a form in English that translate the Hebrew form, and it's been like that for centuries, so I don't think now I need a diferent form that the one is known. Actually, in Spanish (my first language) I use a diferent form, Jehová (and it sounds diferently) cause it depends on the language I speak at the moment. In Italian I use a diferent one, Geova (and it sounds diferent also).

If some call him I AM in English without even caring if that's what the Hebrew Bible says, what's the insistence on using a different form of his personal name than has been used (in every language) for centuries? Will you tell me how do I read the name of God in my Bible and what is the form of His name I use in my service to Him? Do you think He listens to you more than me because of the form of His personal name that you use? What about the name that people in Africa use ... or in Asia, or in other languages which have very diferent forms of that personal name of God?
Here is a well researched and written paper about the origin of the Bible and how translations came to be.

The Inspiration of the Bible Texts | The Origin of the Bible:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is something you need to take up with God I suppose. How does your Bible interpret the original language to say?

Here is another name...
Revelation 19 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹¹ And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
¹² His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
¹³ And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The personal name of the God of Abraham and of Jesus and his followers in diferent languages:

Corean -여호와. Yeohowa

Arabian - يهوه. Yahuh

French - Jéhovah

Portuguese - Jeová

Hawaian - ʻO Iēhova

Armenian - Եհովան. Yehovan

Japanese - エホバ. Ehoba

Amharic - ይሖዋ. Yiḥowa

Cañares - ಯೆಹೋವನು. Yehōvanu

Bulgarian - Йехова. Ĭekhova

Sinhalese - යෙහෝවා. Yehōvā

Czech - Jehovovi

Haitian Creole - Jewova

Greek - Ιεχωβά. Iechová

Do you think that because such people use different forms of God's personal name in their own languages, Jehovah will not accept their service?

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The personal name of the God of Abraham and of Jesus and his followers in diferent languages:

Corean -여호와. Yeohowa

Arabian - يهوه. Yahuh

French - Jéhovah

Portuguese - Jeová

Hawaian - ʻO Iēhova

Armenian - Եհովան. Yehovan

Japanese - エホバ. Ehoba

Amharic - ይሖዋ. Yiḥowa

Cañares - ಯೆಹೋವನು. Yehōvanu

Bulgarian - Йехова. Ĭekhova

Sinhalese - යෙහෝවා. Yehōvā

Czech - Jehovovi

Haitian Creole - Jewova

Greek - Ιεχωβά. Iechová

Do you think that because such people use different forms of God's personal name in their own languages, Jehovah will not accept their service?
Here is how God presented Himself to Abraham and others...especially pay attention to the last verse....

“And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.”
— Genesis 17:1 (KJV)
“And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.”
— Exodus 3:14 (KJV)
Exodus 6 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
² And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:
³ And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

So no one knew His name until He told it to Moses....

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Moses wrote the first books of the Bible, although he was recounting earlier events, the personal name of the Creator of the Universe was already very well known. The Israelites worshiped Jehovah by name, and that name distinguished their God from the rest of the gods of the neighboring nations throughout the existence of the people of Israel while they were God's chosen among all the peoples of the world. Jehovah had his personal name written almost 7,000 times in his book that he bequeathed to mankind for posterity, and said that his name Jehovah would have to be known and respected by all the nations of the planet. Today and forever that name identifies the Creator of the Universe, according to his very expressed will. There is no other personal name for God than that, today in all its different forms according to each language on earth.

Whoever studies God's book will know this clearly. There is no other personal name of God apart from that.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Intriguing.
i have MANIFESTED THY NAME unto the men which me out of the world
Thine they were and thou gavest them me .
That was JESUS praying in the garden . I have MANIFESTED THY NAME .
And later he says , I have declared unto them YOUR NAME . NAME .
And now a reminder
The ONLY NAME given under heaven whereby YE may be saved .
EVER wonder why i so adamantely rebuke the all inclusive many path to GOD lie from hell .
FOR THERE IS ONLY ONE NAME whereby one may be saved . BELIEVE YE IN HIM .
Now for a reminder from john in his letter to the church .
IF any man has the SON HE has the FATHER , if any man has NOT the SON HE does not have the Father .
And also this
If we recieve the testimony of men the testimony of GOD is GREATER
FOR this is the WITNESS OF GOD HIMSELF which HE has TESTIFIED OF HIS SON
He that BELIEVES , BELIEVES , BELIEVES on the THE SON
of GOD has the WITNESS in himself .
BUT and this is a big ol butt too
He that believeth NOT GOD has made GOD a liar
because he believes NOT the TESTIMONY that GOD has given of His SON .
SO now ya know why i fight daily against this all inclusive LIE from hell .
The lie of a false love which says , OH buddists , athiests , muslims and all , Worship the same GOD we do
and so long as they do them some good works and have this lovey lovey they are fine .
OH NO THEY AINT . THEY DENY GOD , FOR THEY DENY CHRIST , the very testimony OF THE VERY GOD
they all claim to know YET DO NOT KNOW . ONLY ONE WAY to be saved . PEROID . BELIEVE YE IN JESUS CHRIST .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is how God presented Himself to Abraham and others...especially pay attention to the last verse....

“And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.”
— Genesis 17:1 (KJV)
“And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.”
— Exodus 3:14 (KJV)
Exodus 6 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
³ And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

So no one knew His name until He told it to Moses....
i have MANIFESTED THY NAME unto the men which me out of the world
Thine they were and thou gavest them me .
That was JESUS praying in the garden . I have MANIFESTED THY NAME .
And later he says , I have declared unto them YOUR NAME . NAME .
And now a reminder
The ONLY NAME given under heaven whereby YE may be saved .
EVER wonder why i so adamantely rebuke the all inclusive many path to GOD lie from hell .
FOR THERE IS ONLY ONE NAME whereby one may be saved . BELIEVE YE IN HIM .
Now for a reminder from john in his letter to the church .
IF any man has the SON HE has the FATHER , if any man has NOT the SON HE does not have the Father .
And also this
If we recieve the testimony of men the testimony of GOD is GREATER
FOR this is the WITNESS OF GOD HIMSELF which HE has TESTIFIED OF HIS SON
He that BELIEVES , BELIEVES , BELIEVES on the THE SON
of GOD has the WITNESS in himself .
BUT and this is a big ol butt too
He that believeth NOT GOD has made GOD a liar
because he believes NOT the TESTIMONY that GOD has given of His SON .
SO now ya know why i fight daily against this all inclusive LIE from hell .
The lie of a false love which says , OH buddists , athiests , muslims and all , Worship the same GOD we do
and so long as they do them some good works and have this lovey lovey they are fine .
OH NO THEY AINT . THEY DENY GOD , FOR THEY DENY CHRIST , the very testimony OF THE VERY GOD
they all claim to know YET DO NOT KNOW . ONLY ONE WAY to be saved . PEROID . BELIEVE YE IN JESUS CHRIST .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am so fully convinced that JESUS ALONE is the ONLY way to GOD , the only NAME whereby one may be saved
that i have bet my entire soul upon it . My prayer is that others will too . CAUSE HE IS THE ONLY WAY TO BE SAVED PEROID .

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This topic is not about the trinity. It is about the expression I AM which some people say is a name of God, based on what he told Moses.

I have demonstrated throughout the thread with reasonable arguments, that such a name of God does not exist. That invention was after the first century, since they used the LXX that translated the Hebrew expression ehyeh asher ehyeh differently, and it was even an invention after the invention of printing, since Tyndale translates that phrase as "I wilbe what I wilbe" in old English, not like that supposed later invention.

Obviously many are not interested in knowing the truth about some matters. Their religiosity is mechanical, traditional and passionate, but lacking in true knowledge. It is not my interest to convince anyone that this supposed way of calling God (I AM) is a human invention, but at least I have shared some information for the benefit of Christians who like to give real meaning to their service to the God of the Bible.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am so fully convinced that JESUS ALONE is the ONLY way to GOD , the only NAME whereby one may be saved
that i have bet my entire soul upon it . My prayer is that others will too . CAUSE HE IS THE ONLY WAY TO BE SAVED PEROID .
Of course He is....no one is disputing that. The OP is directly speaking of the OT and specifically when God spoke to Moses from the burning bush.
The claim is "I Am" is not His name....and no one is claiming it is. It is how the interpretation of the original Hebrew script to English that seems to be the issue, I think, anyway.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Moses wrote the first books of the Bible, although he was recounting earlier events, the personal name of the Creator of the Universe was already very well known. The Israelites worshiped Jehovah by name, and that name distinguished their God from the rest of the gods of the neighboring nations throughout the existence of the people of Israel while they were God's chosen among all the peoples of the world. Jehovah had his personal name written almost 7,000 times in his book that he bequeathed to mankind for posterity, and said that his name Jehovah would have to be known and respected by all the nations of the planet. Today and forever that name identifies the Creator of the Universe, according to his very expressed will. There is no other personal name for God than that, today in all its different forms according to each language on earth.

Whoever studies God's book will know this clearly. There is no other personal name of God apart from that.
Your source or scripture? All you have given is your educated opinion.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psal. 83:18 is a good example.

When Jehovah brought Israel out of Egypt, he caused his name to be mentioned in many surrounding lands. When the Israelites were about to enter Canaan to conquer it, the Canaanites had already heard about the victories of JEHOVAH, the God of the Israelites. All the nations of that time had their own gods, and a God like that of the Israelites who had done such deeds, was a God to be feared and respected. The Gibeonites sought a way to avoid the battle with Jehovah's people, and then Rahab spoke to the spies about the Canaanites' fear of Jehovah, the God of Israel. The stories are there, and anyone who wishes can look them up in their Bible and read them.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psal. 83:18 is a good example.

When Jehovah brought Israel out of Egypt, he caused his name to be mentioned in many surrounding lands. When the Israelites were about to enter Canaan to conquer it, the Canaanites had already heard about the victories of JEHOVAH, the God of the Israelites. All the nations of that time had their own gods, and a God like that of the Israelites who had done such deeds, was a God to be feared and respected. The Gibeonites sought a way to avoid the battle with Jehovah's people, and then Rahab spoke to the spies about the Canaanites' fear of Jehovah, the God of Israel. The stories are there, and anyone who wishes can look them up in their Bible and read them.
Which is after God spoke to Moses in the burning bush...
Here is Exodus chapter 6 and this is when Moses and the Israelites learned His name.
Exodus 6 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹ Then the LORD said unto Moses, Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh: for with a strong hand shall he let them go, and with a strong hand shall he drive them out of his land.
⁴ And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were strangers.
⁵ And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.
⁶ Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments:
⁷ And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.
⁸ And I will bring you in unto the land, concerning the which I did swear to give it to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob; and I will give it you for an heritage: I am the LORD.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When Jehovah brought Israel out of Egypt, he caused his name to be mentioned in many surrounding lands.
So you are quoting from Exodus but ignoring the fact that Jesus is "I AM" in Exodus chapter three, and there is no "Jehovah" in that chapter. It is YAHWEH (YHWH = the LORD). So you actually worship "another god" and "another Jesus".

And God [Jesus] said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. (Exodus 3:14). And absolutely every English translation has "I AM" in this verse.

How do we know this was Jesus, and not God the Father? Because He was identified as the Angel of the LORD at the very beginning in verse 2: And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.